View Full Version : Stimulation

DontFeedThisOne
08-31-07, 08:35 PM
Hey,
I was wondering what gets you stimulated to do schoolwork/things you procrastinate disturbingly heavily on, and if there's anything you'd recommend(if drugs, non-perscription since I dont have the option...oh, and non-illegal I guess: something I can get from a pharmacy).
I've tried drinking copious amounts of caffeine(sp?) but I really hate the taste of coffee, its vile. I manage to chuck it down and cringe, but I'd rather avoid the stuff since it makes me feel sick...

So, what gets you motivated and what would you recommend?

ozchris
08-31-07, 08:47 PM
I always used to find it easier to do my homework after a nice long run on the beach :).

If you're not medicated that would be a pretty easy way to help you not procrastinate so much..IMO anyway. Worth looking into.

Marty
09-01-07, 09:59 AM
find something you can put your energy in but don't have to think allot. Like ozchris mentioned running allong the beach, or any other place where you don't have to watch were you're going too much.

livinginchaos
09-01-07, 02:51 PM
dontfeedthisone --

have you been formally diagnosed?

For schoolwork, the only thing that helped me was being on an ADHD med (mine is Adderall). Exercise might help (just before you study), also studying short periods of time, breaking inbetween each (eg: stufy for 15 minutes, break for 10) might help.

If you're not against meds, I suggest you check it out.

ah09087
09-01-07, 06:55 PM
I usually listen to music while I'm doing math or science. And if the song is striking the right nerve i'll have a dance break. lol

But for reading things like history and english, keep in mind I'm weird lol, I go on my bad and lay on my stomach with my feet on my pillows and kick my feet so I get auditory and physical stimulation.

I'm dyslexic so it helps me to read better too. I don't know why. And since I'm dyslexic and ADHD it takes me a really long time to read so I build up my leg muscles at the same time. lol:D

livinginchaos
09-01-07, 07:42 PM
sounds kind of weird. . . but when I was in college, i often studied with a rose colored transparency over the section i was reading in my textbooks. It seemed to help a lot.

Paws13
09-02-07, 01:51 AM
I always have to do something to stimulate me. Whether it be playing with my necklace or listening to music.

Paige1989
09-08-07, 10:26 AM
Uh, I honestly wouldn't recommend caffeine binging...it may make you energised, but it often doesn't focus you. I'm speaking from experience. :S But if you really want to load yourself on caffeine, try soda (Vault has extra caffeine, as does Jolt) or energy drinks (though I find those more vile than coffee...). And there are over-the-counter caffeine meds. :S The main brand is NoDoz, but there are generics, too. I still don't recommend it though. >.<

And I have yet to find anything that really gets me in gear...like right now, I should be writing about four essays due Monday and Tuesday. I find, though, that once I actually start, it's easier to keep going...though I do take a break (five minutes tops or I get too distracted) every fifteen-thirty minutes, depending on the assignment and my focus level. I was so geared up for the school year and did the first couple assignments with no problem...then I decided to leave the focus behind me somewhere along the road...I tend to keep telling myself that I have plenty of time...until that time runs out and I'm on overdrive trying to get everything done. The medication given via pharmacy that I get for anxiety actually helps somewhat as well...

Oh, and I also listen to music. Somehow it doesn't distract me, unless it's my favourite song, at which point I take a short break. ;)

clearbrine
09-15-07, 07:16 PM
Try starting at a time of day that, so far, you haven't had free time during (for example, early in the morning when you used to be sleeping, or maybe a block of time between appointments or quit/change the time of an activity). Umm, it's not a very good aid, but it can work somewhat.

pedalpounder
09-15-07, 09:12 PM
Looming deadlines. Works every time for me.

Marty
09-15-07, 11:35 PM
the problem with that is that I'd wait until the evening before to finish it all if I would only use that (even when you can't do it in one night), I don't know how it is with everyone else, but from what I see in the question it is part of the problem.

clearbrine
09-16-07, 08:18 AM
Deadlines don't work at all for me. I mean, it helps a little if it's the morning of and I'm sitting at home waiting to get driven to school or sitting around in a period before the class in question, but that's not a reliable way for doing most homework (and I don't do it then because of the increased motivation, just because it occurs to me and there's not much else to do), and if there's anyone to talk to or anywhere to go or anyone to follow around, I probably won't do it anyway. (Or maybe I'll just draw spots on my hand or scribble in the margins or flip through papers.)

Yeah... It does help, though, to stop when you think, "What should I do now?" or when something upsets you and you want to stop doing what you're doing, to say, "Homework, I choose YOU!" and then do it like you'd do anything else enjoyable... but then again, I LIKE homework generally, just don't normally do it.

supersomeone
10-11-07, 05:17 PM
i do as much as possible in school so that i can be aware of the times also music and i put pressure on myself making things look more ummm not really stressful but that like i have soooo much stuff to do so that i get it done lol

crazycat1990
05-09-09, 12:00 AM
But for reading things like history and english, keep in mind I'm weird lol, I go on my bad and lay on my stomach with my feet on my pillows and kick my feet so I get auditory and physical stimulation.

OMG I do stuff like that as well! :eek:

Well it was more when I was at school, the past few years I haven't really done it...but yeah I'd remember laying on my bed, tired, thinking "Crap I gotta get this work done, eurrrgh!" and just kicking my legs and listening to the noise...then I'd get worn out and fall asleep :rolleyes:
I did it as a kid as well. I've always wondered why :D