View Full Version : Lamictal and......*Jaws Music*

Spongedaddy
08-31-07, 09:40 PM
RASH!!!!!!!!

RASH!!!!!!!

RASH!!!!!!!

DOH!

My face was feeling itchy tonight, I go to look and red blotches have started to appear and little red bumps near my cheeks and neck. Called the PDoc and he said to stop and call back in two days. He made sure to reassure me it would go away and nothing bad would happen and call on Sunday or Monday to page him and see about a new med.

I was feeling hopeful for Lamictal, especially since there are no blood tests or weight gain. Half of me is upset and the other half is pretty calm and ready to try something else.

Needed to vent, thanks.

Scattered
08-31-07, 09:55 PM
Sorry about the rash. Hope your next medication trial goes better for you.

Crazy~Feet
08-31-07, 10:24 PM
:( So, so sorry Sponge...

There are other meds that do work though. Please don't give up!!

Spongedaddy
09-01-07, 06:58 AM
I wont give up, thank you for those words though.

With this condition I feel like a damn puppet on a string. Something happens and bamn the string pulls my arm up to hit my head. I am tired of that. I want to know what life is like without a BiPolar filter.

I took my Lamictal at 6PM. This morning it still is a little red but hasn't gotten worse. My skin is very sensitive so I can't tell is it my skin or is it my mind wanting the Lamictal to work. I think that considering Lamictal's history that it is possible this is a side effect (along with that bloody headache). I am grateful that y'a give me a place to ramble. That's very helpful right now to be able to blabber on and have people who understand what you are talking about.

justhope
09-01-07, 02:51 PM
Well that just sucks.

But there are so many things out there that work for BP....I am sure you will find the right fit for you! Hang in there. I guess the only consolation is that you only had to take it a couple of days to have a side effect and not a month.
Please let us know how it goes next week when you gett assigned a new med.
Vent away....there are so many here who understand.

Hope :)

Spongedaddy
09-01-07, 05:25 PM
The rash went away so quickly that I am not certain if it was coincidental. I am going to run with the pill one or two more days and see if it comes back tonight or tomorrow. Worst case scenario is I try something else. I feel a bit of a boost from the pill so far and that is nice.

Crazy~Feet
09-01-07, 05:50 PM
:) Let's hope it was one of those stress-induced rashes and NOT the Lamictal! I was under the impression that the Lamictal rash would just stay and get worse, but I might be wrong....

Spongedaddy
09-02-07, 09:41 AM
Oh well, never mind. I am starting to break out with a red itchy rash on my back. I guess it's on to the next thing. I had high hopes because I felt a little bit of good change right away.

Crazy~Feet
09-02-07, 01:56 PM
:( The Rash happens with a percentage of Lamictal users, but I did read something about it possibly occurring at any time during the titrating period. In some weird way, maybe its better it happened now, instead of way on down the line?

That's sort of what happened with me and Trileptal, and it was very disappointing.

Spongedaddy
09-03-07, 10:58 AM
Well I have been off it for just about two days and the rash went away. However after a three day break of cycling (just some mania here and there) I am back on the bike. Started a down swing this morning and feeling depressed. Luckily I still have strong impulsive urges to keep me company. I paged the doctor, but the stupid office doesn't have an answering service just a vm that is supposidly checked. I had called on Sat with a question about my rash, but never got a return call. Part of the problem is that this is the only PDoc office with apts in my area right now (unless I want to wait six months) and my new PDoc only is at that office once a week. Otherwise it's run by this PDoc that I don't have a lot of faith in (he wasn't veyr good with me when I saw him). I am a bit stuck. If he doesn't call back today I will try and get someone in the office tomorrow.

I must admit I feel kind of like crap and somewhat alone. I only have my dad and he has the understanding of lint. Him and I have shallow conversations to say the least. My wife's family is superficial as heck and they don't like me much. My wife is great about being non-judgemental, but is a bit too passive. She is not involved unless things are at the surface, no reading about it, no helping me plan for lifestyle changes. If I don't do it it wont be done. On one hand I half to take charge for myself and on the other hand I am in a really bad place and having a partner lend some strength would be nice. She is very loving, but not so good at being the strong one. This of course feeds my depressive moods and I feel somewhat alone.

At least when I feel this way I can have a pity party complete with baloons. Thanks for letting me share.

Crazy~Feet
09-03-07, 11:12 AM
Heck, if you need it? We'll hire a marching band too. Whatever is going to get you through that we can do!

My partner is none too swift with this stuff either :rolleyes:. I have a long and drawn out pity-party session posted HERE (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=457035&postcount=45).

There's a reply from the NT's later on in that same thread. They were very nice about it.

Spongedaddy
09-03-07, 11:35 AM
Wow that was powerful, thank you for directing me that way. How are you coming along with that now?

I find myself getting angry (when I am cycling) with the way my wife is. My mind starts building a case...why doesn't she care enough, blah, blah, blah. It's just my wife isn't used to being in charge at all. Her sister and mother were very controlling and then for several years so was I. It was easy with my condition to do so, now after becomming aware of it the last few years she has come a long way to making her own decisions and being in control of her life. However, when it comes to this sort of thing she just wont take charge and I kind of need that right now. I dont want to have everything on my shoulders. I know she is willing, but then gets lazy with this. I guess when I am calmer I can try and do the research with her, direct her to some good books that deal with spouses of those with BiPolar.

Right now though I am just down in the dumps. Plus we had to get another Xbox since mine was broken. So I sold a lot of my gaming stuff to buy a new one from Best Buy with in-store warranty so I don't have to deal with Micro$oft. However I am getting those impulsive urges to return it so I can have the money (and probably just buy other things and then feel angry/depressed over no longer having an Xbox). I know what is going onbut am somewhat powerless against it.

No return call from the doctor. I am not ocnvinced he is getting my calls.

Crazy~Feet
09-03-07, 11:50 AM
Thanks for asking and I am not coming along with it at all. He's gone most of the time and talking when he can just leave in a couple of days is pointless, ya know?

I hate having so much on my shoulders too, it can really get you down am I right?

Spongedaddy
09-03-07, 11:59 AM
Thanks for asking and I am not coming along with it at all. He's gone most of the time and talking when he can just leave in a couple of days is pointless, ya know?

I hate having so much on my shoulders too, it can really get you down am I right?

What's strange about this condition is that I know when I am feeling that way it is a story in my head that I am believing. However, the BiP is so heavy that this truth doesn't matter I feel it anyway. I know the Wizard is a man behind the curtain, but I cower from the big head menacing phony anyway.

I hope you feel better and I hope Space is well as well.

Spongedaddy
09-03-07, 05:51 PM
OKay the PDOc actually called back HOORAY. We spoke for a bit and I told him about my sensitive skin. He thought I should try the pill again and if it's the pill the rash will come right back by morning and we can try something else. I am okay with this since A) My skin is very sensitive and a combination of things could have irritated it and B) This pill seems so promising. If the rash comes back then it's on to something else.

This is very draining.

Crazy~Feet
09-03-07, 07:51 PM
Whew, is it ever! I went through 4 BP meds before I got to Lamictal...and with the first one, they didn't realize I was also still taking Cymbalta, and adding that with the Gabitril created serotonin syndrome, and combined with the Risperdal somewhere along the line I began having hallucinations! :faint:

I blogged about that at some point but apparently left out the pertininent details, but maybe its better off that way, ya know? Who wants to remember that kind of thing anyway? Hallucinations. The Thorazine Shuffle. Fun fun fun!

I sincerely hope that you have an easier time of it than I have! But ya know, I did do it and if I can? You can too!!

Spongedaddy
09-03-07, 10:03 PM
That sounds like quite the experience. I wound up doing some wacky poop today, but nothing too terrible or unfixable. The depression started to go away when I took the pill, but some mania is still around. I am hoping my body is going to be okay with Lamictal because it seems to be a good fit for both the cycling and depressive portions of the condition.

Unfortunately the music box is playing loud and clear tonight....

Spongedaddy
09-04-07, 03:20 PM
Aw Nuts. Itchy rash came back. I guess I am done with Lamictal. I don't want to be. I have a big file on wanting it right the very first try. It seemed so promising. Oh well, hopefully the PDoc calls me back today and I can start something else.

justhope
09-04-07, 04:44 PM
Sorry Sponge! poop that does suck..but it's nice to know there are so many other things out there to try...don't get to disappointed...gotta feel it...and move on...you know how we are about getting stuck in a place!

Please let us know what you end up with?

Take care Hope

Spongedaddy
09-04-07, 05:00 PM
Sorry Sponge! poop that does suck..but it's nice to know there are so many other things out there to try...don't get to disappointed...gotta feel it...and move on...you know how we are about getting stuck in a place!

Please let us know what you end up with?

Take care Hope
Very well said. That's how I feel stuck, like I am in a hole and now they shut the lid. Even though I know this isn't true, it feels that way. I hope the PDoc calls back soon so I can at least have some (no pun intended) hope.

justhope
09-05-07, 12:59 AM
LOL..never heard those before...:p

Although I didn't have the meds thing...I do understand the concept, in life itself. I believe you have a very good attitude...are definantely headed down the right path....and very open , honest...and owning your issues...I think you will be just fine! ;)

Spongedaddy
09-05-07, 06:26 PM
Thanks. I have had the darndest time getting the PDoc office to get back to me. I called yesterday and they said he would get back to me and he never did. I called this morning and they said they would page him and I heard nothing. I called an hour ago to ask what was going on and the girl swore either she or the doctor would get back to me and yet no call. Is this par for the course? Unfortunately this is the only PDoc that could see me within a month. I am thinking as soon as I can find a good med it will be time to make an apt with a new PDoc.

Crazy~Feet
09-05-07, 06:33 PM
I hate it when I get the runaround :mad: but sadly, with many offices this appears to be the case. Just keep bugging them! I have discovered that in this type of situation, the squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease!

And please let us know what the next move will be?