View Full Version : Handwriteing

ah09087
09-01-07, 07:00 PM
Does anyone elses handwiritng look like a kingerdarteners? Mine looks like I tried to to write by putting ink on a chickens feet, riling it up and trying to direct it to where i want it to makr. lol

FrazzleDazzle
09-01-07, 10:54 PM
I have a terrible time with handwriting. Thank goodness for the keyboard! I got in trouble in school for trying to get around learning cursive. I got really mad about the whole thing and it was about the only time a "conference" was held on my behalf. To be legible, I have to print and take a lot of time, and i have a heavy hand, and I just don't like it.

How do you do with cursive?

Do you have any trouble with numbers? I cannot write the number 5 without a lot of difficulty or hesitation.

Imnapl
09-01-07, 11:02 PM
I remember working very hard at practicing cursive writing. I still remember in grade four I got an "A" for my Q - probably a rare mark for me if I can still remember it decades later. I now get compliments on my neat, legible handwriting. All that practice must have paid off.

ah09087
09-01-07, 11:04 PM
Actually at least I think my cursive is better than my printing (notice "think" and "better" not good) but I can never remember what the letters look like or how to draw them and which parts overlap and which parts connect esp capital letters so I print but I'm still slow.

I can't do 6 and sometimes 3 and 2. I can draw 5 but theirs not as pretty.

FrazzleDazzle
09-01-07, 11:09 PM
One would think cursive would be easier, because you don't have to lift the pen! For me though, the pen just goes all over the place and there's loops and crosses and dots totally everywhere. How about 8, any problems there, that's another one I have to modify funky to get it.

Imnapl
09-01-07, 11:13 PM
One would think cursive would be easier, because you don't have to lift the pen! For me though, the pen just goes all over the place and there's loops and crosses and dots totally everywhere. How about 8, any problems there, that's another one I have to modify funky to get it.I agree that cursive is easier for me, too. I don't practice printing enough so I often don't like the results. I love reading printing from a primary school teacher. The numeral 8? Yes, I would say that's a tough one to learn.

Imnapl
09-01-07, 11:18 PM
I can never remember what the letters look like or how to draw them and which parts overlap and which parts connect esp capital letters so I print but I'm still slow.

I can't do 6 and sometimes 3 and 2. I can draw 5 but theirs not as pretty.This is just the first hit from Google. Practice when you're not keyboarding. :D http://www.handwritingforkids.com/handwrite/cursive.htm

ah09087
09-03-07, 12:16 AM
lol. That's never. I'm a computer addict. The only time I'm not surfing the web is when I'm in school or doing homework. Even though my own handwriting is pretty attrocious I can imitate other people's handwriting pretty well if I concentrate. So my neat handwriting usually looks like my mom's. I would write like her all the time if it didn't take up so much concentration and time

QueensU_girl
09-03-07, 09:39 PM
I am reading a great book that covers handwriting problems.

It is called Smart Students with School Problems by Patricia Vail.

Guest1
09-03-07, 10:35 PM
mines is chicken scratched is sad im 26 and i cant even read it

uncertainty
09-03-07, 10:39 PM
Mine is awful! Looked at my old report cards today...I never got above a 'C' in penmanship. I remember my dad trying to teach me the way he learned by writing endless loops and other handwriting motions. I gave up years ago and reverted to printing only....except for signatures.

QueensU_girl
09-03-07, 10:50 PM
My stepfather had to leave university b/c he would fail exams when noone could read his writing. (1960s)

These days they can give people keyboards, recorders, mindmap help, or 'scribes' (amanuesis?) to help people get their thoughts onto paper for exams and essays now.

People with handwriting problems (fine motor issues) can also be helped by using special pen/pencil grips (they are cheap) or other cheap interventions too.

My handwriting isn't awful, but it changes angles and my letters aren't uniform. Like other poor writers, I can get hand fatigue and cramps. Poor writers sometimes hold the pen awkwardly or hold it too tight, or "press" too hard, causing fatigue, too.

I find that my ADHD means i have poor working memory. So I'll get great ideas fast, but I can't hold them in memory long enuf to get them slowly onto paper. My mind goes at 100 wpm, but my hand writes at 20 wpm so i lose ideas and stuff when writing. The best is to keyboard (40 wpm) or talk it out (120 wpm or better).

if i could TALK my exams, that would rock.

QueensU_girl
09-03-07, 10:52 PM
Mindmap drawing (lay out essay ideas) like a Tree with smaller Branches (supporting arguments) can work too.

A great reference tool (during exam pressure, especially) for minds that go too fast... (and hand that write too slow.)

bumblebe
09-03-07, 11:59 PM
My handwriting has always been horrible. I mean SOMETIMES I can read it, but most of the time your guess is as good as mine when it comes to making out what it says.
I am so jealous of those who have nice consistent penmanship. I dont have one style, its all over the board. In one sentence I will go from slant to bubbly to small to big, cursive to print. Its just crazy.

meadd823
09-04-07, 02:24 AM
I can write neatly but it takes me a lot of time to do so unless it is "common information" like filling out forms then I can print really fast because I have usually answered the question many time before. When I used to hand write letters my writing would deteriorates rapidly.

It doesn't matter if my writing is legible or not because few people can read my writing because I spell soo badly and I have problem structuring sentences. I also get tired real quickly when I am trying to write by hand.

I found cursive easier than printing I can do it faster but it isn't any neater.

supersomeone
10-08-07, 05:12 PM
haha horrible !!! when i was younger they gave me a alpha smart thing (keyboard witha tiny screen) and some sort of theorpy i forgot what the name was i think something with a O . now every year i have one teacher who constatly yells at me for my writing like i want it to look like crap ! lol :)

lars
10-08-07, 05:34 PM
My penmanship has gotten so much worse since going back to college. It seems to get worse every year I am in school. I used to get complimented on my penmanship, but those days are long gone.

My psychiatrist told me that the reason for this was that my brain was going faster than my hand was able to keep up. He said that he noticed the same thing himself when he was in college, and he said that it got much worse for him once in medical school. He said that this is why so many doctors have horrible penmanship more often than not.

Made sense to me.

QueensU_girl
10-08-07, 07:16 PM
re 17, paragraph 2

Yup.

Brain goes 100 mph, and pen goes 20 mph.

Add in a Workng Memory problem like ADD and you'll get line loss at the bottleneck.

Special Needs can help you get a Laptop (to Type 40-60 wpm etc) or Dragon (up to 160 wpm they advertise) for exams.

it really helps!

~boots~
10-08-07, 09:18 PM
I'm shocking too! not long ago my 17to was away on retreat, and we had to write our kids a letter. when they told her, the first thing she said was "OMG, I hope she typed it, I can't read her writing" LOL

I'm better at block, but tend to muck up words, usually using letters from the next word I'm going to write...

Sargon
10-09-07, 10:41 AM
Mine's terrible. I don't write cursive at all. I think one of the reasons I was so poor in math was because I couldn't get the numbers to line up well enough to add them, etc.

MattM
10-16-07, 10:35 PM
actually, i have very legible handwriting but i cant draw a straight line for my life. even when i try to draw out a line with little scratches, its crooked.

Skully
10-16-07, 10:59 PM
My handwritting is horrible! I was always getting bad grades because the teachers could not read my work! I hardly write anything by hand anymore.