View Full Version : Avoid Ascorbic and Malic Acids

Ashleysmom
09-02-07, 12:32 AM
DO NOT TAKE YOUR FOCALIN WITH FRUIT JUICE CONTAINING 100% VITAMIN C, OR WITH DAILY VITAMINS! IT WILL MAKE THE MED LESS EFFECTIVE!

My doctor told us that you should NOT take Ascorbic Acid or Malic Acid an hour before or an hour after taking your Focalin b/c it will prevent your body from absorbing the medicine and render it much less effective.

This type of acid is found in many foods and juices b/c ascorbic acid is a Vitamin C additive. Most fruit juices contain high doses of it, as do foods that sit in your cupboard for a long time plus high vitamin cereals. But, regular kids cereal has a low enough dose that it CAN be taken with the meds.

This is important info that is not included in the pharmacy inserts. My doctor gave us a 3 page letter about the research on this.

Once both my husband and I gave our daughter her medicine (double dosed) and she was completely drugged out, like a zombie. It was awful. This happened another time and when we noticed it immediately we pumped her full of Cranberry Juice with contained 130% of Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) and she was completely fine, with no signs of the double medicine. We have since implemented safety measures to prevent double dosing. But, this is proof that Ascorbic and Malic Acids DO INTERFERE with absorption of the medicine.

Iamscattered
10-28-07, 05:41 PM
Great Post: I wish your words were at the top of most of stim forums. The key is an hour before or after, after that it doesn't much matter at least in my experience. So many people seem to be avoiding nutritious acidic foods all day long, which isn't necessary. At least that is what my body tells me.