View Full Version : Are other ADDers “Funny about Food”

meadd823
09-03-07, 10:38 PM
I am very “funny” when it comes to my food. I not only do stuff like pick off the crust of my bread because it is too dry I also can’t stand things like the edges on lettuce to be brown. I pick out bruises, blemishes or soft spots in fruits and vegetables

I pick out those little red things that come with some TV dinners because I do not know what they are. If I can’t ID it I refuse to eat it even if it is “just for coloring”.

Plus if a food doesn’t smell good or if the consistency isn’t right I can’t bring myself to stick it in my mouth.

I always have to “inspect” every thing I do not make. I always look inside any sandwich or burger no matter who makes it. I unwrap “wrapped” foods and peek inside all those “pockets” I get at a fast food place or restaurant. I open all to go lids on beverages and look inside the cup before drinking.

I am not a picky eater per say but I have been told I am “funny about food” becuase I have to "see it" before I can eat it. My husband Gary does some of the same things. I am wondering if it is a me thing or do other ADDers do the same sort of things.

Guest1
09-03-07, 10:39 PM
im very picky what i eat and how i eat it

Swede63
09-03-07, 10:47 PM
I'm the type who will drink the sour milk by mistake and blaaah spit it out so I guess I'm not too picky or maybe it's impulsivity. Aside from that I don't think it's unusual or strange to pay attention to what you are putting in your mouth. Wilted lettuce and bruised fruit doesn't appeal to me either.

FrazzleDazzle
09-03-07, 10:55 PM
I used to be pickier on the edge of that, but I guess I got busy and end up eating while doing other things, so I don't have the time to look. When my mom made mashed potatoes, I would pick out all the dark things in there, till I started making them myself!

The thing I really do still look for is those grain weevels. Shudder. Uck, they show up everywhere.

Made ya look, huh!

Another thing, the more I look, and then find something, it would make me look more again on a regular basis.

meadd823
09-04-07, 12:21 AM
im very picky what i eat and how i eat it

Do you have any hyperactive tendencies. Because Gary is the same way and he is very hyperactive. I am ADD with hyperactive but I am not as hyper active as he is.

I'm the type who will drink the sour milk by mistake and blaaah spit it out

See I would notice the smell before I put it in my mouth. I am hyperactive more thanI am inattentive. If my sinuses are clogged and I can't smell then there are certain things I won't eat or drink milk being one of them. If milk is slightly warm ugggg forget it. I don't see how people can drink warm milk at all.

I would pick out all the dark things in there, till I started making them myself!

Dark things???? Do you mean pieces of potatoes skin?

busyhermit
09-04-07, 02:17 AM
Hiya Mead,

Mostly I'm just funny about meat. Hope I don't gross anyone out - but I cannot stand ANYTHING in my meat but meat. No gristley things or fat or skin or veins (Uhhh...shudder) or tendons or cartilage or the slimy bits of I-don't-know-what on ribs, or god forbid some little hard thing in my hamburger or lunchmeat. OMG that will absolutely ruin the rest of the meal for me as I try not to puke. I do really like meat - especially chicken - but I remove it from the bone and pick it clean of all the nasties so I can relax and eat it. I have a difficult time eating meat prepared by others because I guess other people don't mind all that stuff.:p

4gotAgain
09-04-07, 05:37 AM
i used to be very fussy - didnt eat red meat, hated cheese, onions, garlic, anything greasy or oily etc but nowadays have improved a little bit like i eat red meat if i have to and cheese if its with something else etc.

Crazy~Feet
09-04-07, 05:46 AM
OF COURSE I am funny about food! Its right up there with stenches :faint: how anybody can ingest such disgusting substances as bananas and lima beans is beyond me.

busyhermit
09-04-07, 07:30 AM
...lima beans...
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/n8ufnykr/Smilies/YukSmiley.gif

Guest1
09-04-07, 07:40 AM
yea im adhd im hyper but a slow a eater alsoDo you have any hyperactive tendencies. Because Gary is the same way and he is very hyperactive. I am ADD with hyperactive but I am not as hyper active as he is.

See I would notice the smell before I put it in my mouth. I am hyperactive more thanI am inattentive. If my sinuses are clogged and I can't smell then there are certain things I won't eat or drink milk being one of them. If milk is slightly warm ugggg forget it. I don't see how people can drink warm milk at all.

Dark things???? Do you mean pieces of potatoes skin?

Fraser_2468
09-04-07, 11:52 AM
Well im mainly "inattentive" Perhaps a little "Hyperactivity" when it suites me. :p

But I am extremely picky with food, and will not go near any sort of veg! :o

chain
09-04-07, 02:51 PM
I am considered ADD and do not have as many issues with my food. My new partner is undiagnosed ADHD (extreme) and food is her everything, lol...

She even showed me her notes from camp when she was 12... every day she talkes about the quality of the food.

In the "models".... this is because she relates primarily to her world through her body or senses (somatic) and I relate to my world through my mind (cerebral).

ADHD = Understanding Driven Somatic = US
(inattentive) ADD = Understanding Driven Cerebral = UC

Even though I relate to my world primarily through my mind... I am much much more sense based than most people :)

Such is the nature of AD(H)D...

IMNSHO

SB_UK
09-04-07, 05:06 PM
bananas

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/n8ufnykr/Smilies/YukSmiley.gif damnably right!

SB_UK
09-04-07, 05:17 PM
hell is an under ripe banana
hell is an over ripe banana

hell is a bruised banana

hell is an oozing banana

hell is the yellow bits which come off from the internal layer of the skin - which come off with the banana and which stick in between your teeth.

hell is the smoothie - based as it is - around the banana

hell is the taste of banana on all food which happens to have been stored in a lunch box with said banana(s) - even when appropriately partitioned

hell is the inedible banana skin - I mean - what do you do with it?

hell is the peer pressure to eat bananas instead of doughnuts

hell is having bananas of different sizes (do I need to eat more of the little ones?)

hell is the athletic magazine predisposition with telling poor old cramp sufferers who detest bananas to eat more - knowing that bananas taste like frozen banana flavoured mucous

oh yeah!

so don't do it!

-*-

Just plain don't eat.
It's only a matter of time don't ya' know?

The writing is on the wall -
~eg~
the popularity of chilli - which burns out our taste buds
metabolic disorders on the increase - particularly relating to glucose over lipid metabolism (lipid is a much more effective energy source - containing as it does - >2 the potential energy of carbohydrates - pound for pound)
Ahhh!
the memories

80's biochemistry classes.

(am confident that nothing has changed :-) )

meadd823
09-05-07, 05:50 AM
lima beans... yuck

I agree with you and Crazy~feet. yuck they do smell badly.

I can't do the legume family at all.

squishy or slimmy food eekie . . . . . or "broughtworth" is that really a meat ???? wtf did they do to it to make it small like that any way????

hell is an under ripe banana
hell is an over ripe banana

hell is a bruised banana

hell is an oozing banana

hell is the yellow bits which come off from the internal layer of the skin - which come off with the banana and which stick in between your teeth.

hell is the smoothie - based as it is - around the banana

hell is the taste of banana on all food which happens to have been stored in a lunch box with said banana(s) - even when appropriately partitioned

hell is the inedible banana skin - I mean - what do you do with it?

hell is the peer pressure to eat bananas instead of doughnuts

hell is having bananas of different sizes (do I need to eat more of the little ones?)

hell is the athletic magazine predisposition with telling poor old cramp sufferers who detest bananas to eat more - knowing that bananas taste like frozen banana flavoured mucous

oh yeah!

so don't do it!

LMAO SB I love your descriptions. . .bananas are good for one thing = banana pudding with tons of vanilla wafers crunched up - as long as the pudding maker does't put in slimmy bananas pieces in the puddling thinking I won't notice. I will eat around them because my food was not meant to be slimmy. . people who make slimmy smelly food need to feed the fishes not me.

meadd823
09-05-07, 05:59 AM
Well im mainly "inattentive" Perhaps a little "Hyperactivity" when it suites me.

But I am extremely picky with food, and will not go near any sort of veg!

My very bouncy husband will only eat corn {sweet whole kernal} and certain green beans. He will eat small amounts of lettece of a burger or taco only, onions in small amounts cooked.

He thinks salads are for rabits . He is almost 50 and has more energy than most people period age doesn't matter. He is mostly a meat eater . . . I think he could live on meat and cholocalate. . . I have to have some leafy green stuff and fruits in my diet or my plumbing doesn't work so well. I perfer my leafy green veges to be raw or cooked to a deleicate crunch otherwise we are back to slimmy foods . . . .

I do not think any thing is worse than "soggy" bread!!!! :eek: Barf a rama. . . .deluxe.

Michiko74
09-05-07, 06:03 AM
I think my 'pickiness' about food only comes through when I'm taking my medications. If I'm not really following my drug plan, than meh.. food is food. But when I'm taking my meds.. meat seems to be too 'heavy' for me. Chewing just seems like too much of an effort *lol* and everything just grosses me out, to the point where I can only handle smoothies.

I remember when I first started taking my drugs, I had to have a bagel plain and toasted. Absolutely no butter because it seemed too oily for me! *lol*

Paithan
09-05-07, 08:17 AM
Personally, in my opinion, is that it has nothing to do with ADD/ADHD. That you are all a bunch of picky eaters LOL. I would consider the percentage of people who are "picky" is way higher than the percentage of people that is supposed to be ADD/ADHD. My son and I are highly ADHD and about the only thing we won't eat is Skink Butt (ok, there are others, but it is a good example.)

Driver
09-05-07, 11:17 PM
My ADD fiancee is very fussy/finnicky when it comes to food. She won't eat anything remotely approaching its use-by/best-before date, day-old bread, or soft-drink (aka soda/pop) from a bottle that has been open for too long. When she first moved in, she insisted on only buying soft-drink in cans instead of 1.25ltr bottles. I resisted at first, but decided to let that fight go, but after getting sick of piles and piles of half-drunk cans of lemonade everywhere, I fought with renewed energy and now we only buy bottles (the argument went something like this: either you empty and crush the cans yourself when you're done with them, or we switch to bottles; worked like a charm :cool:).

As the chef (aka food geek) in the house, I have to resort to lieing (or omitting) about what I feed her. If she wants me to make her a sandwhich, I'll use the non-fresh bread and she'll gobble it down (even though she insists she can taste the difference). Another example, I was experimenting in the kitchen on the weekend and was making my lunch. I cooked up a basic pasta meal with a mornay sauce, but for interest, I used gruyere cheese and threw in some diced spinach and anchovies. Now for the record, she hates anchovies and gruyere cheese...After I'd done cooking, I sat down to enjoy the spoils of my labour. Without informing her of what was in my meal, I offered her a taste to see if this meal could be added to the menu. After two big mouthfulls of my lunch, I had to wrestle my fork back from her. She enquired if there was anymore and so I told her that the rest of was on the stove still warm and she was free to help herself. She filled up a bowl and swiftly woofed it down. :)

Irish Mermaid
09-07-07, 06:19 PM
I have always been a very picky eater! I particularly don't like foods to touch each other ... my plate is always very well segregated. Who wants juice from the green beans making your bread soggy or marinara sauce in your jello? I'd use those divided plastic plates all the time if I could!

Not wanting things to touch also extends to the actual meals - I really only like "individual" foods. For example, I can happily eat a piece of cheese and a piece of bread, but slap them together in a sandwich and I'm just not interested. (BLTs being about the only exception, and even then, NO LETTUCE, thank you very much!) Casseroles with everything all mooshed together? Yuk. Most Asian foods, which always seem to have so many slimy, unidentifiable ingredients? No way.

And I almost always eat all of one thing, then all of another, and so on, rather than a bite of this, a bite of that, etc.

Greeen
09-08-07, 12:03 AM
i'm vegan..don't know if that really means anything though lol

meadd823
09-08-07, 07:52 AM
i'm vegan..don't know if that really means anything though lol

Are you funny about the "proprieties" {appearance, smell ect} of your food.? I do not see why vegans couldn't be picky eaters or "funny about their food"

I have to resort to lieing (or omitting) about what I feed her.

Gary would know the difference believe me. His nose would tell him instantly and then he would not feel like he could trust me to respect his preferences. Gary does most of the cooking in our house and I am glad he understands how I feel about "food pickiness" and does not do these sort of things to me.

even though she insists she can taste the difference

I am sure the little red things in frozen dinners are eatable I see people eating them all the time I just don't want to because I do not know what they are.

My ADD fiancee

You must be NT so I shall help you out a bit = it is the idea for many of us - like the date on the milk . . .if we do not see it we may or may not know the difference but if we see it then the idea bothers us.

Also many of us have "sensory issues" Gary can smell ingredient from a mile away. . . . he could smell a dish while it is cooking and tell you what kind of spices cheese ect you used. I am lucky I do NOT have the sensitive nose thing.

Now for the record, she hates anchovies and gruyere cheese

Maybe she dislike them alone Gary won't eat cheese by it self but he will eat it on a hamburger. Maybe you prepared these particular items differently than the way they were presented to her previously - you never know.

soft-drink in cans instead of 1.25ltr bottles. I resisted at first, but decided to let that fight go, but after getting sick of piles and piles of half-drunk cans of lemonade everywhere,

Soda in large bottles go flat too fast. Now my turn not to "get it" = half drunk glasses are better? It seems like the half empty container and picking up problem would not be restricted to the type of container.

Neither Gary or I like the large bottles but we also keep our cans picked up We rinse them, put the in a container of their own so we can recycle them. I prefer the smaller bottles of soda especially in the car or truck because they have resealable caps which means I wear less of my beverage as does the car. Gary buys cans they are cheaper, sooo I buy a bottle every week or so and I wash it out, let it dry upside down and reuse it. . .better for the environment. We are recycling ADHDers in this house. . .if it can be recycled it is .

I particularly don't like foods to touch each other ... my plate is always very well segregated. Who wants juice from the green beans making your bread soggy or marinara sauce in your jello?

I am the same way as is Gary. They have the plates where the dividers are only slightly raised and they look "more normal" but the slight raises do keep the juices from running all over the plate.

Gary eats one thing at a time but I "rotate" and eat a little of this for a while then wash it down and eat a little of that ect. . ..

Personally, in my opinion, is that it has nothing to do with ADD/ADHD. That you are all a bunch of picky eaters LOL. I would consider the percentage of people who are "picky" is way higher than the percentage of people that is supposed to be ADD/ADHD

While you as entitled to your opinion ans everyone else here I do not think I made any such claims as stated above. I believe my exact words were

I am not a picky eater per say but I have been told I am “funny about food” because I have to "see it" before I can eat it. My husband Gary does some of the same things. I am wondering if it is a me thing or do other ADDers do the same sort of things.

I am guessing Paithan this would be a "no" you are not funny about your food. Okay I can handle that but there are other ADDer who do have some of the same issues with food. So Gary and I are not the only ones on the planet which is by the way is what I wanted to know. I do appreciate you sharing the fact that not all ADDers have these issues. That too is valuable information. :)

Driver
09-09-07, 12:34 AM
You must be NT so I shall help you out a bit = it is the idea for many of us - like the date on the milk . . .if we do not see it we may or may not know the difference but if we see it then the idea bothers us. Yeah I know, it's probably a hyperfocus issue.

Also many of us have "sensory issues" Gary can smell ingredient from a mile away. . . . he could smell a dish while it is cooking and tell you what kind of spices cheese ect you used. I am lucky I do NOT have the sensitive nose thing. I've got the nose; particulary annoying when you work in an open-plan office come lunch time...

Maybe she dislike them alone Gary won't eat cheese by it self but he will eat it on a hamburger. Maybe you prepared these particular items differently than the way they were presented to her previously - you never know.Yes, invisibly :p

Soda in large bottles go flat too fast. Now my turn not to "get it" = half drunk glasses are better? It seems like the half empty container and picking up problem would not be restricted to the type of container.
She tends to stick to one glass and just bring the bottle of soda to her (yes, they don't stay in the fridge).

Sargon
09-10-07, 12:54 PM
I ration my food. For example, I'll take a sip of a Coke with every bite of a meal, but I plan it so I still have one-third to one-half of the Coke left when the food is gone. Then, I guzzle the rest of the Coke. Consequently, I can't stand sharing my food or drink, because it messes up my rationing. On my first date with my future-wife, she took me out to breakfast and tried to help herself to some of my home fries. I told her I was "erecting a wall of pain" and held her at bay with my fork. Ever since I was a kid, I would rather buy someone a drink or snack rather than share mine. Once, an old girlfriend took me to the movies, but she didn't have enough money for popcorn. We had to leave the movie during the previews to go to an ATM and get cash, so I could have my popcorn (without which the movie could not be enjoyed). Man, I'm nuts!

Foxie
10-17-07, 10:03 PM
I do not like any undercooked meats. And it's not just in my head, sometimes meat appears to be fully cooked, but my stomach always knows when it really wasn't.

I didn't used to eat the bread crusts, but have gotten over this pretty well.

I always "flatten" my sandwiches, kinda squish it, people always point this out and laugh at me for it.

I do not like raw tomatoes, but I love pastas, chilli etc., which requires the juice from tomatoes.

For many years I didn't like the texture of apples, but I can sometimes eat apples now.

I like celery with cheese or peanut butter, but am always pulling off the little "strings," they annoy me.

For many years I didn't touch red or wild game meats at all. I do not like the strong irony taste.

I don't like fish that is squisy or very moist.

I dislike raw carrots, but when they are cooked and in soups I don't mind them.

I hate liver, the smell of it cooking makes me physically ill, therefore my family will wait until I'm gone so they can eat it. I can see them getting up the first morning I am gone for vacation and saying "yay! we can have liver."

I realized over the weekend that I HATE, HATE, HATE, soy cheese. It is disgusting, not even about the taste, but attempting to eat it on a pizza when it doesn't really melt was gross, it was like a paste.

I do not like anything in my meat, but meat either. No fat, veins, gristle, etc.
There are plenty more things I do not like, but I don't want to lose your attention so I'll stop here :p

Animal
12-17-07, 10:22 PM
I'm glad it's not just me! I get comments from everyone about what I eat.... siblings (just use it as a way to stir me up.... I don't bite anymore), friends (they're used to me now!), but I think my ex was the worst. She was ADD but loved her food, especially healthy food. She was on my back the whole time about it, and her comments in front of people used to really embarass me at times...

I don't eat:
Vegetables (except hot chips and wedges)
Pasta
chilli or curry
anything sloppy...... except maybe ice cream :)
Sauces...

My usual diet is more junk food or simple and easily prepared...

Steak, sausages, meat pies (only certain brands), schnitzel.... basically lots of meat and bread (white only!)
Did I mention bacon? .... mmm love bacon (I'd never be able to convert to Islam or Jewism if only for the bacon!)

~Řdd~Scr~θθball
12-19-07, 12:42 PM
I attribute most of my food quirks to not only AD{H}D but to Sensory Intergration Disorder as well. As I've said in another thread I Absolutely Hate Pickles, Relishes, ChowChow, Split Pea Soup, English Peas, Stinky Cheeses, Lamb, and Cranberries are all ~either or both~ highly Offensive in color. texture, or Odor. These foods always bring on that old Gag reflex as does steak slabs which I used to get choked on and now refuse to eat. :faint:

;) :faint: :faint: :faint: :( :( :( :p :p :p ;)

Tiddlywinks
12-19-07, 11:43 PM
Not too picky of an eater, except for mushrooms, and most seafood. It's all too squeeky!

Crazygirl79
12-25-07, 03:02 AM
Hey.

My diet could be better than what it is...with that said I've lost 17 to 19 kilos this year!:)

A lot of my food habits are due to also having SID (Sensory Integration Dysfunction) and I still have weird eating habits, for example I'll drink apple juice but wont eat apples (I dislike the texture) it also took almost until I was 17 before I would eat mashed potato without gagging or choking.

I like most vegetables, white meats, sushi and I'm a major sugar addict:o and I also eat way too much bread which contributed to my weight gain over the years (I was 48 kilos and now I'm 76 kilos and wanting to lose about 8 to 10 extra kilos) basically I eat most things apart from cucumbers...I hate everything about this vegetable (due to SID) but then again I'm just plain weird in more ways than one:p

Selena:)

Crazygirl79
12-25-07, 11:36 PM
I just want to add more to this as I find it interesting and I'm so glad I'm not alone with this....:eyebrow:

Mum told me that getting me to eat anything other than bread, mild, arrowroot biscuits and sausages was pure hell between the ages of 6 months to 7 years and it got to the stage where she had to get medical assistance to get me to eat (the bribery reward method was used, this was successfull in some aspects)

I also remember one day when I would have been about 9 when Mum and I had a major fight because I wouldn't eat the fried eggs she'd served for dinner one night, totally frustrated, upset and without thinking she hit me on the wrist with the dinner knife and I looked down and saw that there was a major cut and bleeding...my calm and shocked response was "Look Mummy there's a hole in my hand" she looked horrified and started crying and saying how sorry she was and so on, we went to the doctors, lied to them as to how I got the cut and got stitched up..needless to say I have a small scar on my left wrist and with all that said I will say it was a pure accident!.... now back to the subject of sensory issues and food, I actually dislike the texture and taste of fried or scrambled eggs...I always have and that will probably never ever change and the only way I'll eat eggs is if they're poached, boiled or mashed with curry or mayo added to them.

Yes I was an absolute nightmare for Mum when it came to eating.

Selena.

twirlywhirly
01-25-08, 10:10 AM
The only good and edible banana is one where the skin is still slightly green.
There is not much smell then, the texture is solid, not too sweet.
No slimy bits. I can't cope with slimy anything.

NonSequitor
01-25-08, 01:44 PM
I won't eat after anyone except my boyfriend and even that took a really long time. I was one of those kids who would scream after my parents took a bite of whatever was mine and refuse to eat the rest.

britbrat
04-01-08, 09:49 PM
hhahah i do that sooooo muccchhh

brewskijmu
04-01-08, 10:04 PM
i can't eat anything "as is." no matter what it is, i have to alter it somehow - add pepper, salt, splenda, hot sauce, ketchup, whatever...i just cannot eat something served to me without doctoring it up, even if it is covered in sauce. i love sauces and dips though, and most condiments. i also inspect everything, looking for the perfect bite each and every bite, and i eat very very slowly.

kwalk
04-01-08, 11:33 PM
I am very “funny” when it comes to my food. I not only do stuff like pick off the crust of my bread because it is too dry I also can’t stand things like the edges on lettuce to be brown. I pick out bruises, blemishes or soft spots in fruits and vegetables.( I do the same thing. I know most people would throw it out because it's gone bad, but I just can't waste it!)

I pick out those little red things that come with some TV dinners because I do not know what they are. If I can’t ID it I refuse to eat it even if it is “just for coloring”.

Plus if a food doesn’t smell good or if the consistency isn’t right I can’t bring myself to stick it in my mouth.

I always have to “inspect” every thing I do not make. I always look inside any sandwich or burger no matter who makes it. I unwrap “wrapped” foods and peek inside all those “pockets” I get at a fast food place or restaurant. I open all to go lids on beverages and look inside the cup before drinking.

I am not a picky eater per say but I have been told I am “funny about food” becuase I have to "see it" before I can eat it. My husband Gary does some of the same things. I am wondering if it is a me thing or do other ADDers do the same sort of things.

I used to be so picky about food too. Anything that didn't look good to me, I wouldn't eat. I used to hate vegetables, now I love them. I used to be scared to eat mashed potatoes, but once I did try them I developed an obsession with them because I found them so good. I also used to hate the taste of mozarella sticks, and now I love them.

I used to eat chicken nuggets so much that my mom would always say that I was going to turn into a chicken nugget one day. hahahha

Jillette
05-11-08, 09:23 PM
Some pickyness is okay really but reading this post and others in this section what is funny is my 8 year old same deal very picky she fits in this section big time.

Mincan
05-11-08, 09:41 PM
perhaps being so picky with food we dont know anyone else like us that picks the blemishes off **** so there is no mark... maybe it has to do with this visual-spatial stuff hanging around the cobwebs here, and has to do with pattern recognition... whereas NTs see eating a meal i nthe whole sense.... for us each bite is different.

reversal of weaknesses

CantSitStill
06-23-08, 05:32 PM
I am an extremely picky eater as is my daughter. I also have the sensitive nose to go with it.

I hate my food touching on the plate. If one food has touched another I will only eat the part that wasn't touched and leave the rest.

I went through a phase as a child where I would eat nothing but Kraft macaroni and cheese and I knew by the smell if they were trying to pass off another brand on me and would refuse to eat it.

The list of veggies I will eat is much shorter than the ones I won't.

If it smells bad to me I won't eat it. That means things like lima beans, cauliflower and broccoli make me gag. I can't even be in the house with the smell.

Pizza---I eat mine in layers. Toppings, then the cheese, then the sauce and lastly the crust. People think I am nuts!!!

I am the cook in the house and I do have definite issues with eating food made by someone else. I am always checking it first no matter who makes it.

x Alanna x
06-23-08, 05:52 PM
Hiya Mead,

Mostly I'm just funny about meat. Hope I don't gross anyone out - but I cannot stand ANYTHING in my meat but meat. No gristley things or fat or skin or veins (Uhhh...shudder) or tendons or cartilage or the slimy bits of I-don't-know-what on ribs, or god forbid some little hard thing in my hamburger or lunchmeat. OMG that will absolutely ruin the rest of the meal for me as I try not to puke. I do really like meat - especially chicken - but I remove it from the bone and pick it clean of all the nasties so I can relax and eat it. I have a difficult time eating meat prepared by others because I guess other people don't mind all that stuff.:p

haha i am like that too.. if i find gristle in my burger it puts me off my meal all together, the tendons on meat also makes me feel sick..

also.. when i do a fried egg and can see a little spot of blood in the clear bit after i have cracked it makes me feel sick too and i have to pick that out

when i buy a sandwich thats already made for me, i have to open it up and look to see whats in it. lol.

greatdanish
06-23-08, 06:00 PM
I'm super picky about food. I HATE when food touches on the plate, if it does, I'll leave a line of the touching foods and only eat what's behind it. I used to eat in order too...like if i had meat, corn and mashed potatoes I would only eat one whole thing at a time, then move on...saving my favorite thing for last. I also hate when people mix things that (well at least in my mind) aren't supposed to go together. Like I can eat a sandwich, or lasagne and things of the like, but I hate things like sopping up spaghetti sauce with bread. Or biscuits and gravy...the thought of soggy bread totally creeps me out. I have my own set of rules though, and whenever people question why i will eat certain things and not others I can justify pretty much anything. Its kind of sad and funny at times. Like when my boyfriend mixes all the stuff together on his plate, just to mess with me...I have to leave the room, I can't watch it....but then I eat things like pickles with mayonaise on them....so weird!!! :)

i4got
07-12-08, 12:44 AM
I'm a bit funny about food but in a different way. I have to eat each thing in approx the same portions so when I get to the littleist bite, I have an even amoutn of everything; like a wee little plate of food. I can't mix food nor can I eat all of one thing first then eat all of another...etc..All must be eaten equally :rolleyes:

I don't like beets :eek:

sarek
07-16-08, 10:10 AM
I am very funny about food. There are millions of things I won't eat. I will not drink milk "as is". I will not eat cheese. And so forth.

In addition to my allergies off course. A whole banana would probably kill me. Even a small slice produces very interesting results.

DotwithADD
07-16-08, 10:19 AM
Hiya Mead,

Doesn't gross me out... I agree I don't like any "hard tendons/grisley stuff in my meat either. That's why I really prefer venison, elk (tastes better than "beef"), and other edible game meat. It usually doesn't have any of that mess if processed correctly... And it's lean and better for you than beef! It's just a matter of "getting" it... My husband and I are both hunters, we eat what we hunt... don't waste it.

DotwithADD
07-16-08, 10:23 AM
I am very funny about food. There are millions of things I won't eat. I will not drink milk "as is". I will not eat cheese. And so forth.

In addition to my allergies off course. A whole banana would probably kill me. Even a small slice produces very interesting results.

I don't like milk unless it is "ice cold"... same with water... if it's room temperature... yuck... has to be "ice cold" too.

I love oatmeal... with butter (or margarine) and sugar (good thing I'm not a diabetic - but I do have empathy for diabetics, my mother and sister are type II diabetics). But I try not to put too much sugar in it... just enough to make it taste good... oh and (when available), I love raisins in my oatmeal too.

Sorry, didn't mean to change the subject a little bit... but yeah, I did, I guess.

DotwithADD
07-16-08, 10:36 AM
I'm the type who will drink the sour milk by mistake and blaaah spit it out so I guess I'm not too picky or maybe it's impulsivity. Aside from that I don't think it's unusual or strange to pay attention to what you are putting in your mouth. Wilted lettuce and bruised fruit doesn't appeal to me either.

I don't like lettuce to have ANY brown spots on it... yuck! I usually throw away the outside lettuce...

I won't drink milk AFTER the expiration date.

kettish
02-09-09, 10:38 AM
Let's see...due to traumatic experiences as a child, I have a hard time eating cereal. Particularly Rice Crispies. We were a poor family, and got the big ol' bags of cereal for cheap from the store brand...but we lived in the country, and just put a clip on the bag instead of sealing it somehow. Well, some kind of bug got into it...one morning we all were getting our cereal, I'd taken a few bites of mine while the other's was being poured...and I look down. Lo and behold. There were larvae on my spoon, floating happily in my milk.

...it's taken a long, long time to eat cereal again. And it has to be big square shapes or something. And I can't drink the very last dredges of the milk because there's always little bits running around in it and it reminds me. *shudders*

No salads-they're just gross. I'll eat the little tomatoes and the cucumber out of them, and chicken or whatever else may be in it, but I just can't get my mind wrapped around the concept of eating and enjoying leafy greens. I LOVE fresh white corn, especially if it's just barely cooked-it's so sweet and crunchy! But I can't stand corn from a can, because it's gross and squishy.

Can't can't can't eat mushrooms. I tried. Really did. They just gross me the f- out. Same thing with gristle, any kind of animal fat...I love bananas, apparently in defiance of the norms here, but have to spend quite some time picking all the little strings and such off before I can anjoy it. Same with clementines. Apples are OK but it kind of bugs me that there's something left over after I'm done. o.0

Eating Army food will get a lot of that pickiness out of ya, I tell you what...lol. I was lucky enough in Basic to get a DFAC (dining facility, like a cafeteria kind of) that was in part of an experimental 'healthy food' program. Chicken was baked instead of fried, and they had an extensive salad bar with all sorts of goodies on it like yogurt, bread for sandwiches, etc.

OH! Chicken. I can't do dark meat. It's just gross. It's got those weird things on the leg meat at the end of the sliver of meat that's all white and rubbery and just gross. Love white meat though. Also love seafood if it's fresh, but if it isn't, I can't stand it.

Pickles. Ew. CAN'T STAND OATMEAL. It's the BANE of my EXISTENCE. Slimy and gross and weird-bitter tasting and just not good. My mom used to try and make me eat it; I'd rather go without!!

I love bread. Love love love it. Nothing else in the world has the same consistency, no matter what any South Beach Diet recipe tells you. Lol. Certainly not portobello mushrooms. *shudders*

DH is ADHD I think, hasn't been diagnosed, but he has the milk thing too. He always makes me smell if first. Other than that he's a garbage disposal in a human body. :P

Anyone else here unable to eat before or after a certain time of day? I can't eat before about 0700 in the mornings. Makes me nauseous.

RedHairedWitch
02-09-09, 03:34 PM
I can't eat rich people food. All those weird fancy sauces and spices. Apricot jelly on my steak??? Mango and ginger on my chicken? Gross!

stef
02-09-09, 04:48 PM
Is it really an ADD thing? my NT husband & mom are more particular than I am.
I can't eat: most fish & seafood (which is really too bad but they all taste like FISH); and tea; and some French meat & sausage stuff. - andouillette; it's terrifying! and kidneys, yikes.

pADDyjay
02-09-09, 06:44 PM
:(liver eech

for years I couldnt eat cranberrysauce with turkey, or applesauce with pork

and no food could touch each other...if the mashed potatoes touched the peas....

now....anything goes...except liver

dormammau2008
02-14-09, 11:09 PM
a lot foods i have porbelms with cossss that very fact aspealry meats

dorm

kwalk
02-15-09, 12:21 AM
I swear food to me is just like people and "interesting" subjects, I only like some, and find the others boring, sometimes I can't make a decision on what sounds more appealing at a restuarant and it takes me forever, as long as picking food out of a fridge. I can't remember to eat half the time and very often I forget to eat lunch. While, what I do end up eating, doesn't happen the first time I think of eating it, after bout an hour or two of thinking of eating it... or something else.

EYEFORGOT
02-15-09, 11:20 AM
I was very picky as a child. So much so my parents were told I should see a psychiatrist because all I would eat was Peanut butter & jelly. Some families we visited required that you clean the plate and my Dad heaped huge portions of veggies on my plate even though he knew it was more than I ate at home. I think he just wanted me to do what all the other kids in their family did, that way they wouldn't complain about me and I'd be seen as a good girl. When it came to food I snarfed PB&J and McDonald's.

I avoided vegetables like the plague. I didn't start eating a little salad until I was married. When I started nursing my first child I was so hungry I broke down and had veggies in my chinese for the first time.

Over time I've learned to like a lot more things. I don't put the pressure on my kids like I had and I think because the stress has lifted, and the "shoulds", I was able to relax and trying something new wasn't intimidating.

kwalk
02-15-09, 03:20 PM
hm- you may have a point there with getting past the "shoulds"

I didn't start to like any veggies unless they were flavored with something, like green beans and bacon. Or..... all those mixed veggies at japanese steakhouses- oh soooooooo good with teriyaki sauce and rice. I started fixing veggies for myself when I lived on my own but i never ate them at home before.

meadd823
02-15-09, 04:16 PM
I don't like lettuce to have ANY brown spots on it... yuck! I usually throw away the outside lettuce...

I won't drink milk AFTER the expiration date

Sound like me - I won't eat any of the brownish stuff on fruits or vegetables - it isn't a natural color I simply cannot bring myself to put it in my mouth.

A rarely drink milk - I could as a kid but now that I am older it gives me smelly farts, cramps and some times worse . . . .

Over time I've learned to like a lot more things. I don't put the pressure on my kids like I had and I think because the stress has lifted, and the "shoulds", I was able to relax and trying something new wasn't intimidating.

Good point . . ..

My mom encouraged me to try a bite of every thing but I wasn't forced to eat things I didn't like - so I didn't force my children to eat things they didn't like either. I do understand how the anxiety of being "forced" may turn kids off to trying new foods -

kettish
02-16-09, 01:24 PM
Definitely right about the Should Syndrome. DH has learned the hard way that if he tries to make me eat something new-especially spicy food, phew!-or guilt me or coerce me into it, I'll start panicking and dig in my heels.

Dunno what it is, but I didn't really want to try the New Thing anyway, I'm pretty sure that if he's eating it then it's spicy, and him trying to force me into it just sends me into a panic. It's like, I want to make him happy, but I really don't want to try that food, and he's trying to make me. It'll ruin an evening for me.

kettish
02-20-09, 12:43 PM
Whoop, forgot to add that I can't eat chicken nuggets anymore. I drank too much while eating chicken nuggets one time and now every time I eat them I taste vodka. It's not good. YUCK!

ADHDKylee
02-20-09, 12:50 PM
I will literally only eat a few foods - Pizza, Mac and Cheese, fries, chicken nuggets, salads, cheese, only a certain type of bacon, chicken drum sticks, SOMETIMES hamburgers, spahgetti, noodles, ham, stuffing (like the kind from the inside of a turkey on holidays, I think), patatoes, popcorn, chips, and snack mixes. I am EXTREMELY picky because nothing else I will touch

fropunka
06-23-10, 01:00 PM
I never really thought about it before I read this post, but yeah, I'm weird about some food.
I hate "bouncy meat", the "stems" on lettuce, fat on bacon, and the membranes on oranges. Also, anything that takes too much chewing effort makes me want to throw up!
Watching me eat a salad is comical. I pick almost all of the lettuce out because it doesn't meet my standards. :rolleyes:

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
06-23-10, 06:38 PM
Picky, picky, picky....

about age, temperature, texture, touching food, smell -- if all those things are OK I'll eat a piece of cardboard, yet even though I liked the flavor of sushi -- it took me years of getting used to the texture of it before I stopped gagging.

I am also much relieved when someone is willing to be guinea pig to smell and taste food that has been in the fridge for more than a couple days.

Andrea715
06-24-10, 02:57 PM
Oh, I can really relate... I like a lot of flavor. If it doesn't have much of a taste I won't eat it and if it is the only thing, then I will not eat.. I do not like plain milk, bread, chicken, turkey or anything bland. The problem with this is that I am not patient or together enough to cook so I just go hungry a lot and am use to it. This is how life has been for me over the past 20 years until recently having a baby:o( Now, I am frantically trying to cook and eat better so that my little girl will do the same thing.

salleh
06-25-10, 12:35 AM
I am the poster child for picky eaters......when I was a kid, I hardly liked anything at all, and instant mashed petatoes had just hit the market, I used to check the sink for peels....( years later, Mom told me she used to save the peels !).......

and only baloney sammiches for school lunch, hadda be Oscar Myer, I could tell the difference...and we were seriously poor at the time ( Residents ( doctors) made $160 a month in the late 50s, and my dad made $5 more than the others cause he was chief resident.....)

when I was about 20, one of my roommates and I had a deal, he bought the food I cooked it, I was breading chicken legs one night and got grossed out big time ....still can't even touch one ......

..and if I am using red meat for anything, from steaks to chunks for stew or stroganoff, I have to cut every little miniscule piece of ick ( translation , anthing whwite) out of the meat, same goes for hams......)

.......I never drink milk ...ick cow juice!.....and right now I am going through a phase where almost nothing tastes good to me anymore, it is a daily struggle to find something I want to eat.....except ice cream, that slides down my throat easily, but I'm even picky about which ice cream I want....these days it's all rich rich rich , and I it's too da***** rich for me !......why do ALL the ice cream makers think that we ALL want deep dark chocolate ice cream ?.....gimme some light chocolate mousse ice cream ....gggrrrrrr, and stop putting so much stuff in it,

.......sigh, I thought I had outgrown my picky eating until I went to visit my friend Janet a couple of years ago, whoosh, I soon learned that if anything I am a pickier eater, cause now I am the one cooking ......it's kind of embarrassing ......

...and the thing that drives some people crazy is that if I order something at a restaurant, and I don't like it, I won't eat it ......no sense in putting calories in me if I don't like the taste......

.....and did you know that people have a large difference in how many taste buds they have ??? if you are particularly sensitive to hot, either temperature or spicy, you have as many as 10 times the taste buds of regular people .....

Juice
07-04-10, 03:59 PM
Where do I begin..

I am vegan.
The change was really easy for me despite being a big meat eater in a previous incarnation as I am such a "particular" eater.

I don't like any food "combined " with stuff from other food groups.
All foods must stand alone on the plate.
Chocolate with fruit is disgusting.Fruit has to be eaten alone..same with chocolate.
I love oranges .Only raw and alone.
This rule applies to many other things ;).

I have come to realize that I LOVE bland food.
Too many flavors at once overwhelm me .
I eliminated salt in high school.I eliminated all sauces and salad dressings in University. I don't use spices -Ever .
I eat my greens and salads bare or with fresh lemon juice .I do eat onions however.Way too many.

I tread cautiously with new textures and smells.
Pasta freaks me out- all that squiggly stuff .Blah.
I am also a creature of habit and when I am on a roll I can eat the same thing almost every day.

I also hate the taste ( and feel and noise) of silverware.
I eat all meals with chopsticks or with my hands (if applicable) .
I bring a set of "custom" chopsticks when I go out for dinner.
Ya .. I prefer to eat at home and not deal with all this stuff in public :rolleyes:

Having said all this ,I noticed my taste buds have changed since becoming vegan .
I am open to trying new fruits and vegetables.
All the rules still apply ;)

I do love bananas :)

krb388
08-21-10, 03:26 PM
OOOO....I have this "funny about food" thing..

*Pea's, lima beans, corn,- when chewing them I feel like the outer shell tastes horrible and you have to chew forever and its kind of hard drives me crazy..

*Carrot's- once i start chewing i feel like it falls apart in my mouth and scatters and I have to drink water to flush out my mouth...ewww THAT REMINDS OF..

*liver- someone said it was like chicken and i chewed it fell apart in my mouth and I started gagging...gross!

*Onions- The way a fresh onion crunches in your mouth drives me absolutely insane. Even when i watch other people crunch on an onion It makes me cringe (squinting my face lol)..

*If I peel a banana and its brown it goes straight in the trash. BUT If it is brown on the bottom i will remove that piece then eat the top half ONLY (

(re-reading these is cracking me up laughing....)

*All other fruits or veggies that are brown or misshapen and i think the inside may be brown i will just avoid it all together...

*Salads- eating a salad rarely happens for me. The lettuce is never the right temp. and sometimes served a little brown or slimy or soft.....even with RANCH i can't...

*Anything that just looks funny or smells funny...not gonna happen.

*Olives, mushrooms- olives pop when you bite down and it makes me go crazy hahaha... Mushrooms are to smooth slimy and sometimes cold.

*Oysters- holy crap ARE YOU SERIOUS.... why put a cold, hard, smelly, slimy, fish smelling at that INTO your mouth AHHH lol...just is crazy to me lol.. (nope never even tried it....the smell...slime....ewwww

*I can't eat mayo with out closing my eyes LOL... something about knowing that it turns clear when left out and what its made of makes me nauseous..the smell does too.

*Cheese or butter- If they are dark in color as if they sat out I thow them away or avoid....

*Whole milk, milk shakes, smoothies- The thick consistincy i just can't stomach it...or when they start getting a little warm they will make me sooo sick...

*Smoothies- WHY ARE THEY MADE? I hate swallowing a thick drink with a sandy texture and what looks like weird particles floating around..hehe even if i make it.

*Eating strawberries and cherries- The seeds in straw. i can get past if I put sugar on the strawberry but with Cherries if they are to cold or wet or smoochy I just can't put it in my mouth.

*Exotic fruits- just something about the seeds or the size or the texture I just don't know...really...

*If i feel like a fast food place might have put/dropped something in my food i either waste the money or examine really hard which usually leaves me in a panic and I don't end up eating it....this rarely happens tho..always check normally my foods fine.....

oK...im done ranting about being "funny about food"...lol..That was fun thinking about how weird this might sound to people....*smile* I can't believe I could remember those right now...well yall know I took my meds today...hehe......reading yalls post I could relate to exactly why...I couldn't stop laughing. Set me on a roll.....

****O wait I forgot the fat on any type of meat....I will not eat the meat if it has fat....If i accidently chew it....eww OMG....That makes me so sick...slimy and weird it feels in my mouth....

ADDisme2010
09-07-10, 04:43 PM
I do not like different foods on my plate to touch, or run into each other...that is gross. Doesn't make much sense, since it all ends up mixed in my stomach anyways!

cantfocuspocus
07-01-11, 10:04 PM
Anyone else HATE the texture of coconut? if its toasted its great, but just by itself shaved, flaked, whatever if its texture hasn't been drastically altered in a cooking process, I can't stand the texture of it, but the flavor is great!.

selita
07-01-11, 10:56 PM
Oddly it's normal for babies to eat anything, and to get picky at 2-3 years... it's supposed to be an evolutionary defense against accidental poisoning. They say kids will start to hate any new food if they get sick within a few hours of eating it.

I've always been a little picky, more about taste than anything, but not extremely. I hate wine or any kind of alcohol, really sour stuff, shellfish, lobster and crab, salmon, undercooked meat (that pink makes me so ill). I used to hate tomatoes but I like them now. Hate olives. Had some kind of egg phobia for a few years, couldn't even use them in baking, and they still have to be cooked through. Meringue is so wrong.

Spicy stuff used to really overwhelm me but I can kind usually handle it now. I used to refuse to put salt on anything. I used to demand saltless fries at McDonald's. Hate blackened bananas, or anything too sweet really, even though I'm a big fan of sweets and desert in general.

I feel bad saying this as a Canadian on Canada Day, but maple sugar candies can just stay away.

On the other hand I love to try new foods. I had tiny squids in ginger sauce a little while ago and they were amazing. I think I would eat bugs as long as they were cooked. I couldn't handle sushi, couldn't even try it. It's strong sweet, sour, salty, bitter, or alcoholic stuff that gets me. Or things that are... inappropriately squishy or wet. Or raw.

Simenora
07-01-11, 11:03 PM
I am not particularly offended by a specific food but my sense of smell is through the roof as is my fight/flight response. Sour, mold, bacteria, etc are very off putting to me. Unrelated to that (I think) is my issue with foreign objects i.e. grounds in my coffee, dirt on lettuce etc. A dirty cup with old cream will force me to throw up.

mmmm I am starting to see a pattern here. see post re clutter.

Simenora
07-01-11, 11:04 PM
Oddly it's normal for babies to eat anything, and to get picky at 2-3 years... it's supposed to be an evolutionary defense against accidental poisoning. They say kids will start to hate any new food if they get sick within a few hours of eating it.

I've always been a little picky, more about taste than anything, but not extremely. I hate wine or any kind of alcohol, really sour stuff, shellfish, lobster and crab, salmon, undercooked meat (that pink makes me so ill). I used to hate tomatoes but I like them now. Hate olives. Had some kind of egg phobia for a few years, couldn't even use them in baking, and they still have to be cooked through. Meringue is so wrong.

Spicy stuff used to really overwhelm me but I can kind usually handle it now. I used to refuse to put salt on anything. I used to demand saltless fries at McDonald's. Hate blackened bananas, or anything too sweet really, even though I'm a big fan of sweets and desert in general.

I feel bad saying this as a Canadian on Canada Day, but maple sugar candies can just stay away.

On the other hand I love to try new foods. I had tiny squids in ginger sauce a little while ago and they were amazing. I think I would eat bugs as long as they were cooked. I couldn't handle sushi, couldn't even try it. It's strong sweet, sour, salty, bitter, or alcoholic stuff that gets me. Or things that are... inappropriately squishy or wet. Or raw.

Selita, really ...maple. That is sooooo sad.

selita
07-01-11, 11:48 PM
Selita, really ...maple. That is sooooo sad.

It's fine on pancakes! Or sausages! Or ham! I don't hate it I swear I don't oh no don't take my Canadianity ... I need that ... oh noooo ..... :(

Simenora
07-01-11, 11:55 PM
It's fine on pancakes! Or sausages! Or ham! I don't hate it I swear I don't oh no don't take my Canadianity ... I need that ... oh noooo ..... :(

did you see I posted the rant on my c-day thread? I'll forgive you the sugar then. but honestly sirop d'erable on fresh snow with a Popsicle stick mmmmmmmmmm.

Conman
07-02-11, 12:35 AM
i used to be so picky it was ungodly. but im better now

silivrentoliel
03-20-12, 01:20 PM
I know this is a really old thread, but I'm that way too... don't let my food touch unless it's Thanksgiving fare or one of my two favorite meals which HAS to be mixed together b/c I like it that way. I'm also very sensitive to consistencies and textures of food, even the thought of some make me gag. Like bananas. Ewwwww

Lisa_Mac
03-21-12, 07:42 AM
Hiya Mead,

busyhermit, my husband (NT) is JUST like you. He calls it the fidly bits. Will only eat the breast of the chicken if possible. Hates anything that looks like grizzle or fat. My son and I on the other hand, the two ADDers in the family love sucking on bones and crispy lamb fat. I'm not fussy about food at all except when it comes to eggs and milk. That's when I start poking and smelling. I was however VERY fussy as a child, always keeping everything separate, and there was lots that I wouldn't eat. My mom would freak out because I forgot to eat a lot of the time if it wasn't put in front of me.

Fuzzy12
03-22-12, 06:12 PM
Yes :eyebrow:

I'm not picky with dishes. I'll eat anything (vegetarian) but I'm super picky with fruits and vegetables that look slightly damaged. I feel guilty about wasting food or throwing away fruits/vegs that are probably perfectly fine but I can't just get myself to eat anything that looks even remotely like it might be a bit off, spoilt, discoloured, disshapen, worm infested.. :scratch:

I don't like squishy or very soft fruits or if they are too sweet. I've only recently started eating bananas but only if they are at the perfect stage of ripeness.

Uggh..and I hate those little threads that come off bananas or the white stuff on the peel of oranges. :eek:

If a particular piece of fruit has passed my inspection though then I'll pretty much eat the whole thing, including the peel and the seeds (hate peeled fruits). :D

ana futura
04-24-12, 03:40 AM
I have a ton of "food rules", most of which are about texture.

Sliced tomato on a sandwich is okay, but never in a salad.
Over ripe fruit is never okay.
Certain sandwiches can only be made on certain breads. (like a grilled cheese can only be on crusty white)
If I have a certain type of bread but only the ingredients for a sandwich that belongs on a different bread, I can't make that sandwich.
Tea can only have honey or milk and sugar, never milk and honey.

But I'm also a really adventurous! I'll try any crazy thing at least once- Artichoke juice, Fermented soybean curd (Natto, it smells like feet), the brain out of a whole fried fish, Basil ice cream, durian popsciles, salted coffee- if it sounds weird, I'm into it. I don't eat any meat other than fish, so I like to try as many new tastes as I can.

I LOVE sour tastes. I can drink apple cider vinegar straight.
I'm also always doing things like putting whole cloves in my mouth, or making disgusting looking smoothies with spinach and what not.
And I love raw oysters, even though they gross me out a little.

I definitely enjoy eating food that grosses other people out, but I'm also easily grossed out by very pedestrian normal things- like cold pasta salad.
Nothing is as disgusting as pasta salad.