View Full Version : atypical antipsychotics "atypical" uses

netsavy006
09-05-07, 08:44 AM
Atypical anti-psychotics are prescribed for schizophrenia and bipolar 1 disorder, but what other uses do they use them for?

I don't have either and my doctor wanted to prescribe Geodon after unsuccessful treatment with risperdal and invega.

Crazy~Feet
09-05-07, 07:04 PM
Hey Andy! Sorry it took me a while to get back to you...I've been really ill :( and not at my best. Here's what I was able to dig up for you:

For more on the atypicals themselves, I found this...

http://www.fda.gov/CDER/drug/infopage/antipsychotics/default.htm (http://www.fda.gov/CDER/drug/infopage/antipsychotics/default.htm)

Aripiprazole (marketed as Abilify)

Clozapine (marketed as Clozaril)

Olanzapine (marketed as Zyprexa)

Olanzapine/Fluoxetine (marketed as Symbyax)

More information about Symbyax is available at Olanzapine/Fluoxetine (marketed as Symbyax) Information

Quetiapine (marketed as Seroquel)

Risperidone (marketed as Risperdal)

Ziprasidone (marketed as Geodon) (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.SearchAction&SearchTerm=ziprasidone&SearchType=BasicSearch)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/559169_2

Key Questions on Off-Label Uses of Atypical Antipsychotics

Aripiprazole, olanzapine, quetiapine, risperidone, and ziprasidone are atypical antipsychotics approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. These drugs have been studied for off-label use in the following conditions: dementia and severe geriatric agitation, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, and personality disorders. The atypicals have also been studied for the management of Tourette's syndrome and autism in children. The purpose of this report is to review the scientific evidence on the safety and effectiveness of such off-label uses.

So, judging from what of you from past posts :) I'd venture that the doc may be RXing Geodon off-label in your case, possibly for the tics, or maybe AS related issues. Any of the other off-label uses mentioned apply to you as well?

I myself take Abilify for agitation due to Bipolar II disorder, so I can vouch for the fact that its use is not limited to BPI cases. Spacemania also takes Risperdal, for pediatric BPII, again for agitation.

I think quite a few of us on the "Cycling Team" take atypicals. Maybe you'd like to poke around the BP area and get a feel for how we take them and for what purposes? Just an idea. :)

netsavy006
09-05-07, 07:08 PM
Ok. The tic and AS related ideas make since. My aunt has OCD so I may have a "trace" of it. I also have panic disorder as I'm well aware and take zoloft for it. Only problem is I read that Geodon can cause heart problems. Are there any ways to minimize risk aside from taking the lowest effective dosage?

Also I want to add that clonidine does effectivly treat my tics but causes side effects such as drowsinees even when I only take .025mg at bedtime.

In addition, I would like to report that Risperdal and Invega increased my tics as well as Ritalin LA, Strattera, and Metadate CD.

lars
09-05-07, 08:19 PM
Only problem is I read that Geodon can cause heart problems. Are there any ways to minimize risk aside from taking the lowest effective dosage?That's a good question.

I really do not know much at all about this medication, but just from doing a simple online search it seems like there is a lot of information warning folks about the potential for heart problems.

I would suggest that you ask your Dr if he/she knows of any good sources for information on that drug. It seems to me from what I just read about it online that it would be a good idea to talk to your/a cardiologist about whether or not it might not be worth the risk based on your cardiovascular health/history.

netsavy006
09-05-07, 09:03 PM
Ok. I will follow your advice. I see the doctor again on 9/19.

trying
09-06-07, 11:26 AM
Sedation.

Crazy~Feet
09-06-07, 11:42 AM
Sedation.Meaning??

netsavy006
09-06-07, 03:51 PM
Sedation probably as a side effect of Geodon. That does worry me a bit because I'm in college right now and can't afford for mental "dulling".

Crazy~Feet
09-06-07, 04:05 PM
I don't suppose you will know until you try, Andy. The doctor has prescribed similar meds to you before, surely he believes there is some need for them? Mild sedation does not necessarily equal mental dulling, OK? Relax...breathe...you can sort this out...:)

How about taking a deep breath and giving the Geodon a try at least? What if it turns out to be something really great for you? Ya never know until ya try!! ;)

netsavy006
09-06-07, 04:21 PM
Yes, true, but I don't go to my appts. alone and Mom (who goes with me) does not like me being on lots of different drugs because of how they all affect the heart. I try to say that some have not been linked to heart problems but she tells me that they all travel to or through the heart so it is affecting it.

netsavy006
09-15-07, 04:52 PM
To amend my post (no longer an edit button at this point)

Does anyone know if they even make an extended release Geodon? I don't like meds that I have to take more than once a day because I forget to take 2nd or 3rd doses.

Scattered
09-15-07, 04:58 PM
What are the possible side effects of ziprasidone?

<!-- Copyright 1995 - 2005, Healthwise, Incorporated, P.O. Box 1989, Boise, ID 83701. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED --><TABLE cellPadding=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/he/hw/dg/i/emt.gif </TD><TD>Call your doctor immediately if you experience fever, sweating, severe muscle stiffness (rigidity), confusion, fast or irregular heart beat. These could be symptoms of a potentially fatal side effect called Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/he/hw/dg/i/emt.gif </TD><TD>If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking ziprasidone and seek emergency medical treatment or contact your doctor immediately:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
uncontrollable movements of the tongue, face, lips, arms, or legs;
muscle spasms of the face or neck;
severe restlessness or tremor;
a rash;
severe dizziness or fainting; or
irregular or fast heartbeats.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take ziprasidone and talk to your doctor if you experience

mild restlessness or tremor;
drowsiness;
nausea;
constipation or diarrhea;
dry mouth;
mild dizziness; or
increased cough or runny nose.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

Andy, this is what I found on the possible side effects. I know that the movement disorder thing can be a real problem (check out the WEMOVE site sometime). I sure would ask my doctor what he was hoping to accomplish with this medication and think long and hard about whether the side effects might not be worse than the symptom he was trying to treat. It's okay to ask questions and figure out what the doctor has in mind -- it's you're body and you're the one who has to live with this stuff. Movement disorders like Tardive Dyskensia don't always show up right away and can stick with you for a life time. Heart trouble is an even bigger deal. If the symptoms being treated is urgent enough, the risks are sometimes worth it, but if there are any other options or if you can find a way to live with the symptoms, maybe not.

Take care of yourself!

netsavy006
10-01-07, 11:04 AM
Wow. Great resorces thanks. Anyone know about my other question, about the possibility of a Geodon XR/ER/LA or something like that?

Matt S.
10-01-07, 11:55 AM
The way I believe Geodon works makes it a longer acting drug to begin with, Geodon at low doses can be stimulating as well, If you take 20 mg it will help without slowing you down, in fact I know first hand that a low dose will "jack you up". The other thing about Geodon is that it only works if you eat before you take it.