View Full Version : Melatonin

emmasrabbits
09-07-07, 03:50 PM
I am in the middle of the nightly battle to get my son to go sleep. I am stressed, my husband (who needs to get up for work at 1am) is stressed and my other son is stressed. We are all exhausted apart from my 5-year-old. I find myself shouting and screaming at him non-stop every evening. Nothing works. I seem to find it impossible to stay calm anymore.
I was talking to someone at work, who suggested I look into Melatonin. Apparantly it is not fully licensed in the UK and the doc may be reluctant to prescribe it, but it is available by mail-order!???!
Does anyone know anything about it?
I swear, if something doesn't get sorted soon, I am going to completely lose it [am already on anti-depressents, and quite simply am not even slightly coping]. I know I shouldn't shout at him the way I do, but I can't seem to control myself. I really don't know what to do.

xstarchildx
09-07-07, 05:52 PM
Hi Emma, I hear ya hun i know it can be hard work iv'e been there and done that with my lad who is now 14yrs old, he was the same, night after night nothing wore him out, he kept everyone awake.

Anyway in the end he did take Melatonin at night and that seemed to work, then there was a scare with it and i ended up taking my son off it.

My son also out of the blue ended up having epilepsy i'm not sure if it was related to taking that drug but it was very strange how it just popped up.

Anyway that's all i can really say about it as he was only on the drug for maybe a year.

I'm now going through the same old thing with my 6yr old, but i will not be putting him on the Melatonin, I'm just going to have to let him listen to music till he falls asleep, that seems to work for now!!

FrazzleDazzle
09-07-07, 07:17 PM
Some moms have found that magnesium helps to relax and calm their little ones. There is a dosage by pound, and it needs to be taken separate from calcium, but it kicks in pretty quick.

At Heart
09-08-07, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

I wanted to point out that Melatonin is not a drug (at least in the USA it is not classifiecd as a drug, just like a vitamin is not classified as a drug). Melatonin is produced by our own body and is actually a hormone. It is commonly used as a sleep aid for patients taking methylphenidate. A great place to learn about Melatonin is Wikipedia (where they have a huge article with many, many scholarly references), and it is in pretty plain english, making it easy for a layperson to understand. What I do understand about melatonin is that a very small amount/dose works better than too much, and that it does not seem to become less effective over time. It was initially believed to be an antioxidant (which indeed it is), and it continues to be researched for many other uses (Parkinson, Alzheimer's, and Cancer treatments). To my knowledge it has never been linked to seizure disorders (if anything I think it would be more likely to prevent seizures than cause them, however I am not a researcher, or a doctor).

As for Magnesium, this is something I would discuss with a doctor first. I do not believe you can buy Magnesium Sulfate or Magnesium Oxide, except with a prescription. You can get vitamin and supplements that will contain Magnesium (commonly found with Calcium and Zinc), but the amount is very small compared to USDA requirements for daily magnesium. I do know that because of the age of the internet it is often easy to get ahold of things that are regulated more strictly in other countries (perfect example seems to be Melatonin - no RX is required for it in the USA). Too much magnesium is just as bad as not enough. Though the kidneys are very good at getting rid of excess magnesium, other medical problems can cause magnesium to be retained. Magnesium is a VERY potent cardiac medication. Mag is important for cellular function, particularly in muscle contraction/relaxation. Magnesium is given to women who are having preterm labor to help relax the uterus. Magnesium is given to people who have a life threatening form of cardiac arrhythmia called Torsades De pointes (which I have seen many times in my career as a nurse, particularly in the ER and ICU). Anyhow, my main point is to stress upon you that magnesium is only safe in certain forms, and if I were you, I would talk with a doctor before trying to supplement with it.

Good luck in your search for something to calm your son.

At Heart

FrazzleDazzle
09-08-07, 09:51 PM
At Heart, you made a great point, that I often just take for granted, so thank you for posting, TO ALWAYS CHECK WITH THE DOC BEFORE SUPPLEMENTING. :D

Tiddlywinks
12-13-07, 11:23 PM
At Heart stated exactly what I was thinking as I read your post. I am able to purchase it over the counter in the vitamine isle. I have found that taking half of a 3 mg is more effective that the whole tablet.

meriellyn
12-13-07, 11:31 PM
It gave me horrible dreams and very restless sleep.

twinkletoes
12-23-07, 09:53 AM
Hiya, My son was prescribed Melatonin, but only after I pestered his paediatrician. We can't get the melatonin from our local pharmacy though, we have to get it from the hospital. He only takes 3mg a night but after xmas i'm going to ask to have an increase as his Concerta dose has increased from 36mg to 54mg so 3mg of melatonin isn't enough now!
I would be at my wits end without the Melatonin! Especially as we now have a newborn baby! :)

Nicola x

lars
12-23-07, 10:34 AM
I've taken melatonin off and on for years, and it certainly always seemed effective as a sleep aid. However, more often than not it was so sedating that it made it difficult for me to awaken in the morning.

A couple of years ago my doctor gave me some samples of a newly approved (in the USA) sleeping pill called Rozerem. It's the first ever non-addictive/non-controlled sleep aid ever approved by the FDA.

I found it to work wonderfully, and it never caused me to experience any of the residual hangover effect that I was used to experiencing with melatonin supplements.

The way I understand it, Rozerem acts as a melatonin agonist which means that it triggers the bodies own melatonin production. It's great for resetting a circadian rythm that might be out of sync due to jet lag, or insomnia, etc.

My doctor told me that it tends to work best for those who just need help with falling asleep, and that it's usually not so great for those who struggle with waking up periodically throughout the night. I found this to be very true.

Iluvpoptarts
04-10-08, 06:23 AM
My aunt takes melatonin, because her natural biological clock is set to australian time , works for her.
It works for some people.
It helped me when i had a jetlag after a whole summer abroad....
But it def doesn't help me sleep during the night.
I probably have chronic insomania...

Seer-X
08-21-08, 08:40 PM
As for Magnesium, this is something I would discuss with a doctor first. I do not believe you can buy Magnesium Sulfate or Magnesium Oxide, except with a prescription. You can get vitamin and supplements that will contain Magnesium (commonly found with Calcium and Zinc), but the amount is very small compared to USDA requirements for daily magnesium. ...

{
Magnesium does not require a prescription (not in the US that is.)
you can get it in any supermarket or health food store. Magnesium oxide is the most common form used in vitamins and does not absorb very well and is not really the best choice as a supplement. there are many other forms of it that absorb much better like tauranate, gluconate, citrate, etc. Magnesium hydroxide and sulfate are often used as laxatives, and in fairly high dosages sometimes. Magnesium sulfate is more commonly known as Epson salt.

Magnesium deficiency is supposedly somewhat common<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference"></sup> (most people don't eat a lot of nuts) and has been implicated in a number of human diseases. Individuals with weak kidneys (renal dysfunction) can have a greater risk of hypermagnesmia (overdose). Otherwise, the upper limit is fairly high compared to some other off-the-shelf vitamins.

My doctor recommended it to me, and as far as I can tell, it is used often by ADD patients due to it's muscle relaxing effects to counter the muscle tension that some people get from stimulant medications. I do agree though, it is a good idea to talk with a doctor about any vitamins or medications they are taking or considering.

Germany I believe does regulate Magnesium as well as most vitamins.
}

//just my 2 cents