View Full Version : Drowning in school work...and it's only the first week!

Paige1989
09-08-07, 10:34 AM
Ugh. When school started, I was all excited and deterimined to get everything done on time and all...then that determination disappeared. Now I'm panicking about the smallest things, yet with no motivation to do anything about it. My schedule is packed and I'm like...There's still time....

A Days
Philosophy (college level)
AP Literature
Spanish I
AP Psychology

B Days
Teacher Cadet (college level)
High School 101 (helping Freshmen adjust to highschool)
Government
Environmental Explorations

I thought Spanish and Environmental Explorations would be my saving grace and easy fall-back classes...I was proved wrong. >.> Spanish I should be an easy class, but my teacher is from Spain and apparently they do things differently over there...Either way, this weekend I have four essays and one other assignment due at the beginning of the week.

Anyone else feeling this way? Any suggestions?

ah09087
09-08-07, 01:46 PM
I have no sugguestions but yea. I know what your going through. I'm taking

A Days
Orchestra
AP Environmental Science
Functions, Statistics and Trigonometry
Honors English III British Literature

B Days
Honors US History
Honors Spanish IV
Study Hall
Advanced Dance

Orchestra is easy (I play timpani)
AP Environmental is time consuming but so far easy as is spanish, math and dance...and of course study hall. My school doesn't offer regular english or history so I got stuck with those and they are the hardest.

I had three papers assigned in History on one day and they were all due the next class. plus an English paper due the next day. Plus all the other homework. I just try not to get overwhelmed I stay up sometimes until 2 in the morning. I'm actually praying I get a stress stroke or a nervous breakdown so the school will call attention to how ridiculous that is.

Paws13
09-08-07, 04:41 PM
Yikes! I know how you feel... starting out with great dreams of an awesome school year, and within weeks those dreams crumbling like London Bridge.

It looks like you two are taking a lot of AP, honors, and college-level classes. When I lived in the east, I went to a college-prep high school; plenty of kids took those classes, but I couldn't keep up. Not even with regular classes. So many projects and tests and quizzes! 6 classes per day drove me insane, and the homework load was... well, college level.

As for advice... I had a lot of trouble keeping my head above water in a lot of the classes I had taken. I used to have a resource teacher who would help me keep organized and be in charge of my untimed testing. That's one thing that I miss about my other school that I don't have here- untimed testing. See if your school allows you to do that. Homework wise, I always had tons of books in my bag, incase I had questions. I would meet with my teacher after class if I didn't understand an assignment. Bigger assignments I could break down if they weren't all due in one day.

Good luck with the new year ah09087 and Paige :)

speedo
09-08-07, 04:51 PM
If you are drowning in deep water it is very helpful to swim.

Hit the books and keep on going as best you can. Use every mechanism you have to keep yourself going. :p

Me :D

Paws13
09-08-07, 04:55 PM
I love that response speedo :D

Very off topic, but I'm listening to a song, and your head-banging avatar is keeping in time with the music... I just thought that was halarious :p

Imnapl
09-08-07, 05:03 PM
If you are drowning in deep water it is very helpful to swim.That's worth a sticky.

boone1
09-09-07, 12:50 PM
I feel overloaded with work too. First week and loads of essays already. On top of that I have a work placement and I have to complete 800 hours of work (during school time)!!! Where am I going to find the time to do my lessons while im doing work experience! :eek:

clearbrine
09-15-07, 07:11 PM
Geh, I'd quick a school that pressured me like that (rather, I DID quit a school that pressured me like that). I haven't been able to do homework since I was a freshman and I'm STILL going to be valedictorian. It's depressing and confusing and irksome because people don't realize I REALLY SUCK AS A STUDENT, but I'm expected to be ambitious and together and high-ability and participating and all that.