View Full Version : Manitoba ADDults - $$$ diagnosis, and then more $$$ ?

hollyduck
09-10-07, 09:34 AM
Hello all,

well, I'm trying for diagnosis right now and have come up against the brick wall that our medical system doesn't cover psychological treatment. In order to get a diagnosis, it looks like I'll have to pony up $1200-$1500. It's going to take a while, but I suppose I can scrape the money together eventually.

However, this morning I was struck with the disturbing thought that in order to get the medications (assuming I do get diagnosed) and get the medications changed or balanced when necessary (which seems to be a pretty common procedure) I may have to continue working with these private sector psychologists, each of whom charges around $150 per hour. I'm on a small fixed income, and if I have to spring the equivalent of my monthly electrical bill once a month for an hour of this person's time, I have no idea how I'm going to manage it. Any Manitobans here who can tell me how this works in the province? I would call my doctor, but they're overworked already and I'm not sure she would know. The provincial website doesn't seem to be any help at all.

Ducky

TeLL
09-10-07, 10:58 AM
hi hollyduck
I had looked into getting a psycologist diagnosis, and even here (Quebec) it costs 1500$. I went the easy route, I saw my family doctor (actually walk in clinic, its impossible to get a family doctor around here) and asked for a refferal to a psychiatrist. psychiatrists are covered in ontario and Quebec, I assume its the same in Manitoba.
it wont be as in-depth as the psychological analisis, but they will know enough to diagnose you and prescribe you the appropriate medication. and for the modest sum of 0$, its worth a try, no?

hollyduck
09-10-07, 11:23 AM
I hadn't thought of that. I'll give a couple of psychiatrists a call and see what they say. However, it seems very likely to me that they're waiting lists will be as long as everybody else's. Plus, a lot of doctors are taking new patients.

Ducky

TeLL
09-10-07, 11:32 AM
psychiatrist waiting lists are usually 1-2 months to almost a year. it took me six months, I would have gone to get the psychologist assesment, but I was pretty broke, and food was higher on my priority list

hollyduck
09-10-07, 11:34 AM
addition to previous message -- my mistake, I should've said "a lot of local doctors are not taking new patients". Sorry.

TeLL
09-10-07, 11:38 AM
I figured thats what you meant.
I was in Ottawa when I was looking for one, once the clinic gave me a date of Jan 2008 (that was from my refferal in april) I just looked up the psychiatrist assosiation of ontatio ( theres probably the same for manitoba) and called them one by one asking what their waiting times were (and their specialty) I had found one who could see me a month later. so dont rely on the doctor at the clinic, since he probably has affiliations with others, and will be retticent (not sure if thats an english word, but it means nearly-unwilling) to send you to one out of his adress book. and by law, if you find another doctor to be reffered to, he has to send it to them, so its all to your advantage to look

TeLL
09-10-07, 11:53 AM
http://cpsm-secure.com/profiles/searchprofile/index.php?accept=1189439540

ta daa!!! :) good luck hollyduck

hollyduck
09-10-07, 12:05 PM
Great link, TeLL!!! I am SO impressed!

Ducky

TeLL
09-10-07, 12:36 PM
ask and you shall receive! =P

hollyduck
09-19-07, 07:22 PM
Hello folks, just writing because I got a letter in the mail today from the hospital clinical health psychology department, letting me know that I'm on their waiting list:

"This letter is to inform you that you have been referred... for a psychoeducational assessment. We should advise you that we are not able to offer treatment for these issues; our services are only focused on diagnostic evaluations. Due to the increasing number of referrals for this waitlist is lengthy and presently exceeds 1 1/2 years..."

...yeah...

so I will call them tomorrow and get a little clarification.

Ducky
still crazy after all these years

TeLL
09-22-07, 02:38 PM
so it'll take half a year to get a diagnostic for a problem they pre-refuse to treat you for? thats... pathetic.
I hope you get something more concice and sooner. good luclk!!
-Mike

hollyduck
09-22-07, 02:47 PM
Thanks, Mike. On the other hand, I'm a s***-disturber, so I will probably make some waves over this.

Ducky

TeLL
09-23-07, 01:57 AM
its deserved too! they are telling you before you give them money (since its psychological, therefore not covered under health insurance, well here at least) that they wont treat you for it, once they identify the root problem? there's something immensley wrong with that!!!
I'd look at a different clinic, or different company, since they obviously can deal with that kind of problem

hollyduck
09-23-07, 08:49 AM
Many thanks for keeping an eye on my travails, TeLL.

I'm hoping to hear from the university medical diagnostics department, which is likely to be the quickest of the non-monetary dx's-- a couple of months, perhaps?

Then, the clinic at the hospital that specializes in this, which will be 18 months or more, argghhh.

And finally a private clinic if I can ever raise the money. but here's the other thing I worry about with a private clinic -- one of the guys at the support group the other night was talking about finally getting his diagnosis. A couple of times he said "it was expensive, but it was worth it." They ran all kinds of tests, intelligence, memory, a bunch of other things, and while I was listening to him I was also thinking, "yeah right, every additional test adds another $300 to the bill." On the one hand, there are so many comorbidities that I can understand why a really precise diagnosis is important. But on the other hand when it comes to looking for a psych clinic, I am as hampered in judging them when I go looking for an auto mechanic. (It used to be every time I took my car to an auto mechanic, I would have to take it back again in two weeks for a different problem that I hadn't thought was there before. So I developed a permanent suspicion of auto mechanics.)

In our health care system, this usually isn't a problem because the money doesn't come directly out of the patient's pocket. But with a problem like this diagnosis,how do I evaluate different clinics ahead of time in order to find the best one? There doesn't seem to be any way to do that except by experimentation, and life's too short and my pocket's too empty for that much experimentation. (I'm also stalling on finding a new auto mechanic, for pretty much the same reason)

I wish there was some way to talk to all the other ADHD people in my city and compare notes.

Ducky

TeLL
09-23-07, 01:14 PM
Winnipeg ADHD (LD) Support Group.

Location: Learning Disabilities of Manitoba (http://www.ldamanitoba.org/)
617 Erin Street, Winnipeg
(204) 774-1821 please call first
Facilitator: Michelle Intrepidi

Winnipeg
Learning Disabilities Association of Manitoba
60 Maryland Street
Winnipeg, MB R3G 1K7
Canada

I dont know if they are inter related, and I dont know if your in winapeg, (lol sorry) but this should be the closest thing to being available to you, and they've probbaly got lots of resources

keep on looking and good luck!!!!! if you keep poking your head in places, you're bound to find someone whos been where you are (where you live too) and know the loopholes to actually get treatment, since it seems no one wants to give it

QueensU_girl
09-23-07, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't count on a psychiatrist diagnosing something as subtle as Adult ADHD. I say that from personal and professional experience.

Psychiatry doesn't really easily identify things unless you are (a) seeing aliens or (b) having command hallucinations ('kill, kill, kill').

The usual Adult Psychiatry view on something like and LD or ADHD is that they're not really into treating it (unless you are a student). Rather, the view is moreso to shrug their shoulders and tell you to learn to live with it. (Not that I agree with that either.)

My solution was to become/stay a student. Then I was eligible for Free Testing.

LDs and ADHD that are Directly affecting learning -=NOW=- will be the Province's $$$ focus. I'm sure Ontario is likely similar to Manitoba.

Honestly? Consider taking one part time course. This will make you eligible for a whole new world of services...

QueensU_girl
09-23-07, 02:22 PM
In the 1960s, when Medicare was being setup, Psychologists chose to opt out of the Medicare system.

hollyduck
09-23-07, 02:54 PM
My solution was to become/stay a student. Then I was eligible for Free Testing.

LDs and ADHD that are Directly affecting learning -=NOW=- will be the Province's $$$ focus. I'm sure Ontario is likely similar to Manitoba.

Honestly? Consider taking one part time course. This will make you eligible for a whole new world of services...
Thanks a lot, lady. I'll definitely give that some thought. It's interesting that I was discussing a friend's dental problems with him the other night, and he was thinking the same thing.

Isn't it sad that I've had to stumble along for several decades under an invisible handicap, and now I've got a pretend to be a college student in order to catch up to the point I should've been when I was a real college student? :D

A quick glance tells me that the cost of the tuition for 6 credits, plus the health plan, would be around $800. Hey, I could get my teeth done, too. Oh, and study a bit also.

QueensU_girl
09-23-07, 03:54 PM
Yup.

The Dental plan is basic (no braces or caps likely), but will certainly help you or your family members. (Or your friend.)

Even the Physiotherapy & RMT (reimbursable with an Rx) covered $300/yr for my own injury treatments.

There may be a Bursary Program to cover your Tuition and Testing. Ontario covered mine... I'd bet Manitoba is similar.

It's sad that people have to do such things, but we only go around this planet once, right? I'd rather know my problems, than struggle with a nameless deficit and waste my life.

It is a painful thing, existentially, to be an underacheiver in life, despite being bright, and to not know why.

We see a lot of way dumber people zipping past us in terms of life success. It makes me crazy sometimes.

QueensU_girl
09-23-07, 04:00 PM
http://www.gov.mb.ca/educate/sfa/pages/ourprogram/funding.html#anchor2

[/url]Canada Study Grants for the Accommodation of Students with Permanent Disabilities

Non-repayable assistance of up to $8,000 is available to cover the exceptional education-related costs associated with permanent disabilities.

Types of disabilities may include: deafness or hearing impairment, blindness, visual impairment, physical disability, learning disability, etc. Students must first apply for a Canada Student Loan/Manitoba Student Loan in order to establish need. They must also submit an application to Manitoba Student Aid for the grant including verification of their disability (such as a medical certificate, or a learning disability assessment, or a document proving that they receive federal and/or provincial disability assistance), confirmation of the disability-related services or equipment required, and a detailed cost-estimate. If you have a permanent disability and wish to receive only the grant, you must submit a letter stating this.
("]Students with Disabilities

Part-Time Students[/color] (http://www.gov.mb.ca/educate/sfa/pages/ourprogram/funding.html#anchor2).

http://www.gov.mb.ca/educate/sfa/images/up_arrow.gif (http://www.gov.mb.ca/educate/sfa/pages/ourprogram/funding.html)

Adult Learning and Literacy Branch ("]ACCESS Programs in Manitoba

What is an ACCESS program?

The ACCESS Programs provide a support network designed to increase student success. The major focus is on academic and personal support, and, for those who qualify, financial support in the form of ACCESS bursaries, grants and student loans. Manitoba Student Aid works with representatives from the ACCESS programs to administer assistance to students who qualify for funding. There are several academic programs of study supported by the ACCESS programs in Manitoba.

Who qualifies?

Typically qualifying students are from under-represented groups, specifically people of Aboriginal ancestry, northerners, residents of the inner city, people with disabilities, women, single parents, immigrants and refugees.

How is eligibility determined?

Students can apply directly to any ACCESS Program office at participating public Colleges and Universities in Manitoba. Students complete an ACCESS program application form and submit by the due date in spring. Applications are paper screened for eligibility by the ACCESS Program. Students that meet basic criteria are invited to an interview and selection process. Students are notified by the ACCESS program if they have been successfully chosen in their area of study.

How much is provided?

Students who are selected and qualify will receive an ACCESS Bursary as well as the maximum CSL of $210 per week. ACCESS bursary funded students do not receive a MSL therefore do not incur that debt. ACCESS bursaries are designed to meet all financial need of students while attending school. Students may also qualify for other bursaries and grants depending on their situation.

Millennium Adult Learner Bursary

The Government of Manitoba and the Canada Millennium Scholarship Foundation provide bursaries to adult students from low-income backgrounds. The project will run for four years beginning with the 2005-06 academic year to improve access to post-secondary education.

Assistance is available to selected low-income college and university students who graduated with a Mature Student Diploma at an Adult Learning Centre (ALC). Adult Learning Centres will identify students who demonstrate academic readiness and motivation and who meet the income threshold.

These bursaries provide $5,000 for the first year, $4,000 for the second year, $3,000 for the third year, and $2,000 for the fourth year for selected ALC graduates who pursue a post-secondary education at a college or university in Manitoba.

Students must apply on the Millennium Adult Learner Bursary application as well as completing an application for Canada Student Loan and Manitoba Student Loan, and must submit supporting documentation.

For more information, contact Manitoba Student Aid at 945-6321, or the [url="http://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/ael/all/index.html).

Deadlines: Millennium Adult Learner Bursary - May 1

Who do I contact for more information?

For details about the ACCESS Programs as well as application forms, contact the program office of choice at any participating college or university you wish to attend in Manitoba.

QueensU_girl
09-23-07, 04:01 PM
I'd start with checking out the ACCESS grants. See if you can get funding for your LD/ADHD Testing to establish that you have a disability. This then opens more doors for funding.

hollyduck
09-23-07, 04:08 PM
Wow, Q/U! Thanks for the help. --Ducky

hollyduck
09-24-07, 06:37 AM
Thanks, TeLL. Yes, I've met these folks and they're a nice bunch. We're exploring my diagnosis problems but so far I'm still at a crossroads without a lot of freedom to move.

Besides, impulsiveness has been driving me, in addition to my real level of concern, and I keep having to remind myself that if I've lived for 50-odd years another few months shouldn't do me much harm.

Ducky
Sitting in the lotus position

TeLL
09-24-07, 05:37 PM
*Winnipeg
at least I didnt spell it winapig haha

TeLL
09-26-07, 02:47 PM
actually Queens U girl, I'm bookmarking that this site, since I'm going to university next year, it'll certainly help me too.