View Full Version : Any success with guanfacine for social anxiety?

jeremynd
09-10-07, 01:52 PM
I was just wondering if guanfacine has helped anyone with there social anxiety.

Has it made any of you more talkable?

netsavy006
09-10-07, 04:03 PM
I took Tenex (guanfacine) but it did nothing for me. It didn't even help my tics like the doctor thought it would.

speedo
09-10-07, 05:29 PM
gunanfacine pretty much eliminated my hyperactivity. I have ADHD combined type, and anxiety NOS with a tendencxy toward OCD. Guanfacine has helped with that and with tics. The big miracle is the way it removes my hyperactivity.

ME :D

theta
09-11-07, 07:13 AM
I came across this study while researching schizotypal personality disorder. Anyway like ADD its possible that
Guanfacine might have some other use besides treating
hyperactivity. It might improve some aspects of working memory.

: Biol Psychiatry. 2007 May 15;61(10):1157-60. Epub 2006 Sep 1.
Links
The effects of guanfacine on context processing abnormalities in schizotypal personality disorder.
McClure MM, Barch DM, Romero MJ, Minzenberg MJ, Triebwasser J, Harvey PD, Siever LJ.

VA VISN3 Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Bronx, New York 10468, USA. margaret.mcnamara@mssm.edu

BACKGROUND: The signature of impaired cognition in people with schizotypal personality disorder (SPD) may be centrally related to working memory impairments. Guanfacine, an alpha2A agonist that acts post-synaptically in the prefrontal cortex (PFC), has shown potential for reducing working memory limitations in other populations. This study examined the potential of guanfacine for improving context processing, a feature of working memory, in SPD. METHODS: 29 individuals with SPD entered into a 4-week, randomized parallel-design, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of guanfacine treatment, followed by a 4-week open-label extension. A modified version of the AX-Continuous Performance Test (AX-CPT) was administered. On this task, evidence of intact context processing includes few BX errors (false cue, correct probe) and higher levels of AY errors (correct cue, false probe). RESULTS: At the end of double-blind treatment, participants treated with guanfacine demonstrated a significant reduction in BX errors and a small but significant increase in AY errors, a pattern that was not seen in the participants treated with placebo. CONCLUSIONS: SPD participants improved in their context processing toward a normal response bias, making fewer BX and more AY errors, after being treated with guanfacine.

PMID: 16950221 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

jeremynd
09-13-07, 10:29 AM
Did some research and it looks like guanfacine is going to be the second non-stimulant medication for ADHD just like strattera.

Whats even more interesting is Shire is making it, the same makers of Adderall.

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/42/15/18-a

jeremynd
09-13-07, 12:58 PM
Went to see my GP and after pulling some teeth, I got her to prescribe me some guanfacine, we'll see how this goes....

hollywood
09-16-08, 10:44 PM
dude

why are you having teeth pulled? holy crap

Amputexture
10-08-08, 11:02 PM
Jeremy, did the Guanfacine help any with anxiety???

Mincan
10-09-08, 11:41 AM
My doc didnt even flinch when I mentioned it and brough a research paper I created about it.

Debacle
02-20-09, 07:39 PM
I'm a non-ADD spouse but just fyi, Atenolol has helped me tremendously with anxiety, social and otherwise. I only take it as-needed. It actually prevents panic attacks for me.
Debbie

KDLMaj
06-20-09, 02:42 AM
The notion that guanfacine is helpful for anxiety is pretty much debunked, by the way. However, if your anxiety is primarily ADHD-driven, then it could very well help out. It's been a while since you posted- it'd be interesting to hear the results.

ADDrift
06-25-09, 07:22 AM
Jeremynd, can you tell me if the guanfacine is having a positive effect so far?
How are things going for concentration?
Mincan, it sounds like you've taken this med as well. What was your experience.
I have attempted many meds and right now I'm med free and I'm kinda a mess for work etc. I'm more inattentive type though....

nomorerunninn
11-17-16, 05:58 PM
Amazing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wrote a report for the same topic. Did it work for you?

Austinnou88
06-30-17, 10:11 PM
I know this is an old post, but want to give my response anyways.

I suffered terrible from anxiety on Stimulants, and nothing worked. After being on 1mg of Guanfacine HCL ER alongside my stimulant, I've gotten my life back.

Give it a try. May work for you, it certainly did for me.