View Full Version : Looking for an Open Source, Quality Calendar Program

mathminded
09-12-07, 08:58 PM
Hello hello,

I have an "old" computer of about 5 years old, which makes it 137 in human years. I soon will be building a new computer for the first time, and want to make sure I do it right. Software-wise, one of my first priorities is to rid myself of Outlook and Microsoft Office in general. Open Office and LaTeX are my solutions for most of Office 2000's applications (I am currently using Office 2000...sadly), but I am still searching for a high quality, open source calendar program customizable enough to suit the needs of an ADDer such as myself.

I am aware of and have tried out Sunbird/Mozilla Calendar/Lightning, and look forward to completing my Mozilla collection with it once its version number exceeds 1.0. Otherwise, for the most part all I have come across are Outlook mimics or relatively shallow programs with comparatively limited functionality. :(

I use Outlook for everything except email (Thunderbird covers this) and need a program that can sync to a Palm PDA. Any recommendations? The syncing functionality can, of course, be through Hot Sync or through Hot Sync by way of Palm Desktop.

I'm currently running Windows XP, but this might change with the computer switch to Linux. If you guys have recommendations for XP please let me know, though, since I would love to switch to something other than Outlook before the new computer is built.

Thanks a bunch!! :D

QueensU_girl
09-12-07, 09:03 PM
IIRC, there is a Pocket PC version of Outlook.

I can hotsync my Pocket PC (IPAQ HP) with it.

-------

another idea:

30 Boxes?

My brother writes his own programs (amateur developer idea) and he says he likes 30boxes.

Or is this just an online thing?

-------

mathminded
09-12-07, 09:10 PM

-------

another idea:

30 Boxes?

My brother writes his own programs (amateur developer idea) and he says he likes 30boxes.

-------I'm looking for a calendar, task, etc program that would be on my PC at home. I don't want it online because (a) I have no use for sending it to associates as most of it is totally private and (b) I would not have access to it unless I had the internet available. It needs to be a calendar program that works on Windows and HotSync.

TeLL
09-12-07, 09:19 PM
while on topic, is there one that would work without hotSync? since the highest tech thing I have is an ipod. which dosent sync with anything (including the evil itunes)

mathminded
09-12-07, 09:37 PM
while on topic, is there one that would work without hotSync? since the highest tech thing I have is an ipod. which dosent sync with anything (including the evil itunes)Completely agree about iTunes. But as for your question, have you tried Sunbird? I mentioned above that I tried it previously. It's still not completely finished (in fact it has a ways to go), but it is free, has a nice looking calendar UI, and has the same ability as other Mozilla software to easily install extensions users make to allow for incredible customization. Last I checked, there are no where near as many extensions for it as there are for older programs like Firefox and Thunderbird, but I would at least recommend keeping an eye on it as it evolves.

mijahe
09-14-07, 04:22 AM
Hi mathminded and welcome to ADDF. I've done a fair amount of research, (one of my hyperfocussing moments), on this and came up with a whole bunch of free calender apps. Not many are ADD friendly though as they are all mainly written by NTers. When I get home I'll dig up the better ones for you.

Garry
09-15-07, 05:11 AM

-------

another idea:

30 Boxes?

-------Im looking at getting my daughter one of these pocket pc's with GPS and the abillity to run an excell porogram .

any chance you can tell me a bit about the Pocket PC QueensU girl

HighFunctioning
09-15-07, 08:06 PM
I think ADDers would get bored easily writing calendar programs. I've attempted to do it before, and I didn't get very far.

Lightning/Sunbird are nice programs, but I have yet to find a solution that works entirely for me. I need something that I can sync between a PDA, and something that can send me remote reminders (such as text messages). I've found programs that do these things, but not all of them in the same package or set of packages. I know that a PDA can remind me to do things, but I don't have my PDA right with me all the time, whereas my phone, I do. Plus, certain PDA's have a tendency to be unreliable in the battery department (more of an operating system problem).

mijahe
09-15-07, 10:17 PM
I think ADDers would get bored easily writing calendar programs. I've attempted to do it before, and I didn't get very far.
Yep, same here, along with 60 other coding projects half started. LOL. (A side track: I love perl for the immediacy. I can code up something really quickly, and do all my coding in perl.)

One thing I've been using a lot in the last 2-3 months is taskfreak (http://www.taskfreak.com/), which I can update when on the road, at home, at work. It's more of a task based system, as opposed to a calender based system. Which, IMHO, is infinitely better for ADDers. My wife keeps tabs on my tasks, (so acts as a coach).

Hi mathminded and welcome to ADDF. I've done a fair amount of research, (one of my hyperfocussing moments), on this and came up with a whole bunch of free calender apps. Not many are ADD friendly though as they are all mainly written by NTers. When I get home I'll dig up the better ones for you.
Do'h. Forgot to do this! Follow this link (http://onut.net/tools/sitebar/index.php?w=dir&root=66) to get to my bookmarks. It's a bit all over the place. Follow this link (http://onut.net/tools/sitebar/index.php?w=dir&root=64) to get to syncing tools with iPAQ, and smartphones.
I tend to lean towards web-based products/tools, as they can be reached from anywhere. But, you can still run these locally on your PC.

HighFunctioning
09-15-07, 10:59 PM
Yep, same here, along with 60 other coding projects half started. LOL. (A side track: I love perl for the immediacy. I can code up something really quickly, and do all my coding in perl.)

I agree with that on perl. I use perl rather extensively myself, but I often have to code in other languages, sometimes particularly painful ones at that. Simple solutions in perl usually take far longer to implement in other languages .

One thing I've been using a lot in the last 2-3 months is taskfreak (http://www.taskfreak.com/), which I can update when on the road, at home, at work. It's more of a task based system, as opposed to a calender based system. Which, IMHO, is infinitely better for ADDers. My wife keeps tabs on my tasks, (so acts as a coach).

I played with the demo of this, and it looks to be rather useful. I tried doing the same thing with Open-Xchange quite some time ago, though I lost interest in using it for some reason (that, and my Internet upload speed isn't the best, as it was self-hosted (naturally... most cheap web hosts could not host that anyway)).

Do'h. Forgot to do this! Follow this link (http://onut.net/tools/sitebar/index.php?w=dir&root=66) to get to my bookmarks. It's a bit all over the place. Follow this link (http://onut.net/tools/sitebar/index.php?w=dir&root=64) to get to syncing tools with iPAQ, and smartphones.
I tend to lean towards web-based products/tools, as they can be reached from anywhere. But, you can still run these locally on your PC.

I'm almost starting to think that windows based PDA's aren't worth the trouble. The performance is terrible on some, so use of it won't become habitual. I happen to have one, unfortunately. I found work on an early Linux image for mine, but it doesn't appear to boot. Perhaps it will be a project that I'll start some day...

mathminded
09-16-07, 01:55 AM

Hi mijahe and thanks for your welcome! :) I've been on the site for some months now but have clearly not been posting much at all. Hopefully this is beginning to change. :D

I have a couple questions about your post:

Do you remember any of the real stand outs' names or have links to their sites? I've done some hyperfocused searching (those of us who can hyperfocus on this sort of thing are really lucky...otherwise I don't know what I'd do when I'm off meds! ;)) but I have yet to turn up any that are nearly as feature rich and configurable as Outlook. There was one I if I recall from a search some late night in Spring Semester '07, but there was some catch or another that seemed fishy.
When you say "NTers," are you referring to iNtuitive Thinking from Myers Briggs? (I might be totally off here, but it is the only thing that comes to mind!)
Thanks much for your response!

mathminded
09-16-07, 02:23 AM

Lightning/Sunbird are nice programs, but I have yet to find a solution that works entirely for me. I need something that I can sync between a PDA, and something that can send me remote reminders (such as text messages). I've found programs that do these things, but not all of them in the same package or set of packages. I know that a PDA can remind me to do things, but I don't have my PDA right with me all the time, whereas my phone, I do. Plus, certain PDA's have a tendency to be unreliable in the battery department (more of an operating system problem).

Totally agree about the reminders coming from all devices. I use a Palm, but I find typing into the thing so tedious that I rarely input into any program on it but its notepad directly (then just sync from home). I am lucky to have one with a (relatively) long battery life, but in a weird way the slight concern I have when the thought occurs to me that the battery might be low actually has ended up helping me remember to sync the thing more frequently. I'm not sure if I would want the text messages as much as I would a vibrating reminder from my PDA (I am without my PDA when I need it but with my cell phone only once in a blue moon). Regardless it would be great to have the functionality of TBird with the calendar program of Outlook 2003+. I think Mozilla will be able to do this, and I will be switching to it as soon as the team working on it at MozDev finishes their extension allowing for syncing with PDAs, but this could be quite a ways off.

mathminded
09-16-07, 02:25 AM

Thanks so much for the links and the taskfreak recommendation! I'll be looking through them tonight or tomorrow. :D

mijahe
09-16-07, 06:43 AM
I agree with that on perl. I use perl rather extensively myself, but I often have to code in other languages, sometimes particularly painful ones at that. Simple solutions in perl usually take far longer to implement in other languages .
Yep, the freedom from formal declaration, and it's flexibility - perfect for ADD coders. I can't stand doing C for long; the formality drives me nuts, (same with pascal and fortran). I'd hate to think what I'd be like with Cobol. But funny how things work - I can't stand writing spaghetti code - it all has to be modularized, no globals, proper arg passing, proper semantics, proper var names, comments.

I played with the demo of this, and it looks to be rather useful. I tried doing the same thing with Open-Xchange quite some time ago, though I lost interest in using it for some reason (that, and my Internet upload speed isn't the best, as it was self-hosted (naturally... most cheap web hosts could not host that anyway)).
I like it 'cause it uses AJAX, and therefore feels more like an app over the web, and it's fast and immediate. I know that if I have to wait too long to enter in a task, (or update), I won't do it. It has to be right there. There's been many times where I've suddenly realized I had to do something, and I grab my phone and enter the task in, (all of 10-20 seconds).
Also, it doesn't matter what it runs on - Windows, Linux, UNIX, CPM, BeOS... as long as there's a browser, (that supports javascript - he he), it works.

I'm almost starting to think that windows based PDA's aren't worth the trouble. The performance is terrible on some, so use of it won't become habitual. I happen to have one, unfortunately. I found work on an early Linux image for mine, but it doesn't appear to boot. Perhaps it will be a project that I'll start some day...Yep, I agree. I ditched WindowsCE on my iPAQs before they even finished charging in it's cradle. They've been running Linux for ages now. Although I haven't really found anything worthwhile on Linux-iPAQ. But check out familiar (http://familiar.handhelds.org/) - they've made a lot of progress.
(On a side note: I have 6 iPAQs - one of my little projects I dreamed up. I was to create a nice little chordic keyboard (http://onut.net/projects/MICK/), so that I could use the iPAQs on the go. Still don't know why I have six, though..... Oh well..)

mijahe
09-16-07, 06:46 AM
Hi mijahe and thanks for your welcome! :) I've been on the site for some months now but have clearly not been posting much at all. Hopefully this is beginning to change. :D
Oh, look at that! I just looked at the post count. You've been here longer than me.

I have a couple questions about your post:

Do you remember any of the real stand outs' names or have links to their sites? I've done some hyperfocused searching (those of us who can hyperfocus on this sort of thing are really lucky...otherwise I don't know what I'd do when I'm off meds! ;)) but I have yet to turn up any that are nearly as feature rich and configurable as Outlook. There was one I if I recall from a search some late night in Spring Semester '07, but there was some catch or another that seemed fishy.
Er, yep, I'll check it out.... I'm missing one of my favourite shows, (CSI), I'll be back in a mo...

When you say "NTers," are you referring to iNtuitive Thinking from Myers Briggs? (I might be totally off here, but it is the only thing that comes to mind!)
Thanks much for your response!I like to think of it as Normal Thinkers - but there's a more sane definition other will come up with.

mathminded
09-16-07, 02:18 PM
Oh, look at that! I just looked at the post count. You've been here longer than me.

Er, yep, I'll check it out.... I'm missing one of my favourite shows, (CSI), I'll be back in a mo...

I like to think of it as Normal Thinkers - but there's a more sane definition other will come up with.

Normal Thinkers...catchy! If that's the usage then I'd say all calendar programs I've ever seen are definitely written by NTers. It's really a shame. It'd be great to see one with two viewing modes:

Normal View
Attention Deficit (Hyperac :eek: OH MY GOD LOOK AT THE KITTY!

mijahe
09-18-07, 08:42 AM
Normal Thinkers...catchy! If that's the usage then I'd say all calendar programs I've ever seen are definitely written by NTers. It's really a shame. It'd be great to see one with two viewing modes:

Normal View
Attention Deficit (Hyperac :eek: OH MY GOD LOOK AT THE KITTY!
Yep, I reckon. I had a talk to the developers of taskfreak, and mentioned that they're on a good wicket there keeping it very fast, and that they could potentially grab an audience they never thought of. My take is whatever system you have it has to follow these guidelines:

- It has to be very quick and responsive, no waiting for something to load/run, and if the interface is slow ADDers will give up.
- Very easy to use, for the same reason. The interface should be intuitive.
- Accessible. It should be accessible from anywhere.
- Others can modify it. (Be a coach.)

- Not easily lost.

Ultimately, paper takes care of all but the last requirement. But it's the last requirement that caused me to fail pretty much all the times that I tried to organize myself. And believe me, I've tried everything. :(:(

I must admit, I've slipped up the last couple of weeks, and our family has been so busy, that my better half hasn't been cracking the whip. So a lot of things have slipped.

Garry
09-24-07, 05:38 PM
I saw a link somewhere in this area to a paperbased system where you drag the moduals that you want to use over to this thingy and once you have filled it with all the moduales you want then you print it and fold it on the lines .

It then fits in your shirt pocket and you just unfold it to the modual yo want

Does anybody know where that link was

better still can anyone figure out what I am talking about

mijahe
09-24-07, 05:46 PM
I saw a link somewhere in this area to a paperbased system where you drag the moduals that you want to use over to this thingy and once you have filled it with all the moduales you want then you print it and fold it on the lines .

It then fits in your shirt pocket and you just unfold it to the modual yo want

Does anybody know where that link was

better still can anyone figure out what I am talking aboutMmm, no, but it sounds very similar to the GTD, (Getting Things Done), philosophy. That is; you change contexts to avoid confusion. What you are describing is a context changer based on where you are. Very simple! Simplicity is the key here.

Garry
09-25-07, 08:58 PM
yea somebody in one of the software threads posted a link to this site that allows you to setup what you want in this thing , then print it and fold it and then put it in your shirt pocket. I marked the link but then I reformated my puter and bye bye links

Just hoping to jog someones memory

mijahe
09-25-07, 09:08 PM
Just hoping to jog someones memory I've tried an advanced search on ADDF, but to no avail.

However, google came up with the PocketMod (http://www.pocketmod.com/)
Is that what you wanted?

Garry
09-26-07, 05:23 AM
I've tried an advanced search on ADDF, but to no avail.

However, google came up with the PocketMod (http://www.pocketmod.com/)
Is that what you wanted?

Yes thats it

Thank you very much

What did you search for ????

mijahe
09-26-07, 06:36 AM
I used the keywords 'organize folding paper' and it was the top of the list.

mathminded
09-26-07, 07:35 PM
@Garry/mijahe: that mods to paper thing sounds cool! I find that tech is the way to go for me (paper in pocket would mean remembering to look at the paper without reminders, or with reminders on a different device). But if you choose to use it, I hope it works as well as possible for you Garry! : )

@ Everyone: I think I might try the ADD Planner software as it is the only one I have yet to hear non-NTers bash. This will only happen after I get a new computer though. Until then, a few questions on and off this topic...

1. ADD Planner had me sold solely based on its implementation of hierarchical tasks. Anyone know of free software that has this functionality? It doesn't have to be a whole personal information manager/calendar program; it can have its sole functionality as tasks.

2. Is the roadmap for Mozilla Calendar accurate? It doesn't sound like we have to wait too much longer for version 1.0 if it is! I think that's probably going to become (at this point) the ADDer's best option as its capacity for user-made extensions and skins allows us to implement ADD-friendly structural elements and features while eliminating much of the tedious programming required to build a calendar program from scratch. Guess it's time to learn the language extensions are written in (XML?)!

3. Tangential (what a surprise at this forum! ;) ) but relevant, can anyone recommend me to a computer hardware forum site with a substantial number of users? I'm new to hardware and don't know where's best to ask questions...

mijahe
09-27-07, 07:53 PM
I find that tech is the way to go for me.Yep, I agree. As I mentioned further up, I much prefer something that I can't lose. But, it's good to mention other methods - more options mean we have more to choose from.

Anyone know of free software that has this functionality?
Up till now, I've only looked at open source software, and not free, and also something that is web based. That means that the solution would require a bit of knowledge of computers/software. However, I probably should look at other solutions. I've only roughly looked at solutions and they all have an issue: They're not ADD friendly.

- I've looked at using my Nokia, but syncing up data is a pain in the ****. An ADD will forget to sync up data. It all has to happen automatically.

- I've looked at using my iPAQ, but I rarely use Windows and syncing between Linux and WindowsCE is a pain.

- I've looked at using my iPAQ with linux installed on it, but once again nothing is automatic.

- I've looked at using web based companies to handle my calendar/todos. Like don't forget the milk. But the configurability was limited.

- I haven't looked at specific Windows software. You don't have as many free software options with Windows.

So, I came to the conclusion that I was going to have integrate bits of OSS together and come up with my own solution. It does, however, rely on some experience to set it up.

Oh, there was another option - and that is to get a Mac. Things just work with Macs, and combine that with an iPhone - you'd be set I reckon.