View Full Version : What kind of effect does physical sickness have on your condition?

Spongedaddy
09-16-07, 02:41 PM
I was curious, as I struggle through a bad cold, what kind of effect physical illness has on your condition. Yesterday I slipped into a bad depressive period for about four hours and then I was back out. I couldn't help wonder if being rundown and feeling like dirt contributed to the swing. Love to hear thoughts on this.

justhope
09-16-07, 10:13 PM
Definantely. I think being sick...is def a trigger. I don't think I ever remember a time having a hypomanic episode when I was sick. Might have made it more bearable. The good news is...when you are really sick,,,and need to be in bed , depression...and sleeping 12 hours is not so bad. Although it doesn't seem to help the feelings, it might not be a bad thing, being that if we were manic,,,we might take longer to get better, because we would not sleep / rest like we should. I never really thought about it until you brought it up.

Always thinking outside of the box aren't you!

Hope you feel better, it's that time of year....I was at the Walgreens here about an hour ago, stocking up on the usual cough drops and cough meds...oh yipee...my allergy baby and DH are sneezing, sniffling and coughing...they are always my first indicator fall is on the way....

Imnapl
09-16-07, 10:20 PM
Well, I was taught to expect that something as simple as a mild head cold will totally throw someone off who has sensory issues. Depression is a common side effect of surgery or illness.

Matt S.
09-18-07, 08:52 AM
When I get a cold with the old sinus problems too, or just sinus clogging in general, I generally will not sleep well, and after a couple of days without sleep I begin to get Manic, not hypomanic but flat out Manic (notice the capital letter in my use of the word Manic)

jeaniebug
09-20-07, 12:50 PM
Hey, that is me today, and for the last 4 days... I had a slight cold on Friday and Saturday, felt a little worse Sunday, but doped myself up Monday and went to work, where I deteriorated a lot by 3 so went home. Next day I felt awful. Dragged myself to the doctor, sinus infection. I used to get them 15 years ago or so, but not like this. Left the doctors office, felt really dizzy, laid back in the car for like 20 minutes, then threw up. Finally went to Walgreens, but just couldn't make it into the store. Fortunately they have a drive through, so I got my prescriptions. So that was Tuesday, complete with fever, chills, horrible, head full of cement ready to explode. Some better Wed, and better today, however still feel horrible. ANd really depressed. A bit better at the moment, I took a xanax along with all the other decongestant, antibiotic, advil...and of course Lamictal and now I also added 50 mg of zoloft to keep me from breaking down in tears every hour on the hour.

Daughter has moved to California for College and not happy, wants to quit, and getting her there took every cent of extra money I posessed. Now I haven't had this job long enough to get any more paid sick days, and I have been sick twice since I got back. I knew the empty nest thing would be hard, but it's really hard. My daughter is profoundly hearing impaired and Cal. State U Northridge has good support for deaf and hearing impaired kids. But she had some really terrible experiences in public schools over the years, which were soooo stressful for her and hard for me, her only advocate.

OK, I'm just venting here, so I don't expect a fix, and I also don't really care if she gets a degree or not. The financial aid for being in college and being deaf is really fabulous, and I am projecting how much that would have helped me get my degrees..... She says the only reason she is in college is because her Dad and I expect her to be .....

And yes, kids, I know in the scheme of things this is not really even a major problem (compared to you Hope, or what Space has been going through, KZ). And I know that, in my head. I just don't want to see her bussing tables like the other deaf kids in town..... Which of course is probably unlikely.... I am awful-izing, I know.

OK, I'm getting way off the subject, but wow am I stressed.. depressed...and feel like cr*ap. Weepy, with of course horrible headache and can't breathe.....

Again, yes, feeling sick triggers me BIG TIME. Thanks for letting me vent!

Spongedaddy
09-20-07, 01:58 PM
Hey, it's a challenge for you and it sounds like one that is causing you pain, so please don't apologize. I am sorry you are feeling sick and having to deal with these other pressures as well. Please feel free to vent away as much as you need and know that we are behind you...although not in the creepy stalking kind of way.

Feel better.