View Full Version : Trigger Point Injections: Has anyone had 'em?

QueensU_girl
09-18-07, 02:35 PM
Trigger Point Injections:

Has anyone had 'em?

FrazzleDazzle
09-18-07, 02:40 PM
I have not had them personally. I do know from my work in the medical field that they work for some and not for others. If they do work, sometimes the effect is not permanent. Are you considering it?

leana
10-27-07, 09:45 AM
hi,ive had them in my upper leg,my hip and my back. they didnt really help at all for my hip or back. but it did help my leg pain{siatic nerve} on top of fibro, but the results only last a few weeks to a month. but some people claim it can last much longer.i think once you start getting them,you have to keep on getting them or it seems worse! also,the lidocaine solution they use with the steroid does offer some quick relief,even if its temporary, when you get to a certain point with pain, you dont mind getting a needle in you, if it helps.if your hurting that bad, you have nothing to loose, if it dont provide any relief after the first or second time,the dr usually wont give you anymore anyway. but if they do work, you just have to go back every so often for another shot.

dede4004
11-01-07, 11:42 PM
HI, Yes, I've had them for many years. They have worked for me as long as the doctor doing them actually feels around for the trigger point and shoots it in exactly the right spot.

If a doctor doesn't hit the right spot, it doesn't do much. In fact, I had them today, given by my NEW pain doctor. He doesn't have much of a bedside manner, and he didn't feel for the TP. (I had to tell him where they were, and he still missed a few)He was impatient in trying to find them, and did the shots because he was rushed. This was after waiting almost 2 hours in his waiting room. (in pain)
My other doctor could go right to them. He really knew my body. (I miss him already)
Anyway, it's nice reading everyone's posts. Take care,

Dede

Zane_da_Maori
11-01-07, 11:44 PM
i hate dem needles.
punch me, kick me bt dont u eva eva poke me wif one of dose pointy fings
il smak ur head in ow

QueensU_girl
11-02-07, 12:17 AM
This is different, Maori.

Iamscattered
11-17-07, 12:57 AM
I suffered from severe upper back and neck pain for several years beginning in 1992. The headaches were awful as well. I spent years trying anything and everything looking for relief. Even with insurance this quest cost me tens of thousands of dollars. Finally I tried Trigger Point Injections in 1997. I believe it was a course of 3 treatments.

For me it was a definite breakthrough and although the pain did not disappear entirely, it became manageable and was no longer the central issue of each day. When I did relapse from time to time (but never as bad as it had been) I discovered that Acupuncture started right away worked better than most things I tried. But if it did work, it took 5 or more expensive sessions (which my insurance would not cover) to calm the pain.

Then I changed Primary Care Physicians and my new Doc just by dumb luck hapenned to practice accupuncture. But it was Electrical Acupuncture. And what a huge difference I saw. It never took more than one session to calm my pain and it always worked. Although the treatment didn't hurt, it did leave bruises on back, but that didn't bother me. Unfortunately my Doc recently moved on so I cannot see her again. But if/when I do relapse, Electrical Acupuncture is what I will look for first.

So speaking for myself, my quest of many years taught me two effective strategies to deal with my pain. If my pain is horribly bad and extended then Trigger Point Injections is what I will use. If the pain is bad but new, then Electrical Acupuncture will be my first choice.

QueensU_girl
11-17-07, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I"ve found that Laser works too.

Mostly I just want something that can break the cycle of tight muscles/spasm.

netsavy006
11-17-07, 12:12 PM
I've never had them personally but I was reading online about my new medication called Lyrica (it's a fairly new medication) and I read it's FDA approved for the conditions listed for this forum.

sportbikechic
11-17-07, 04:00 PM
I just had my first series of Depo Medrol steroid shots on Wednesday of this past week. I had the shots into my neck and shoulder area into the trigger points.

I broke my neck years ago and wore a halo on my head with four screws into my skull for 21 weeks, then I wore a large neck brace for several months. I was in rehab for about a year and have suffered from pain and migraine headaches ever since. I also experience numbness in both arms/hands on a regular basis.:(

I have been very sore these past few days, however my range of motion has already improved; even with the tenderness.

I am curious to see what my results may be!

Time will tell!!!