View Full Version : adderall generic vrs brand

soberw/adhd
01-29-04, 11:20 PM
Hi I just started adderall after several years without meds.
I took ritalin in the past (hated rebounds). With ritalin I noticed a huge difference in the brand vrs the generic. The generic had more rebound and was less effective. I was wondering if the same was true for adderall?

see7towers
02-03-04, 11:53 PM
I do not believe there is a generic for adderall , some may substitute with dexadrine ...

ADDlantaGirl
03-10-04, 10:11 AM
I take Adderall, and yes, it comes in generic. I take the 15 mg tablets (which are the newest dosage.. they came out a couple years ago.) So, of course, it took forever for them to come out with a generic in that dosage amt, but they DO have it. Finally. :) :) I would just ask your pharmacist. Now, as far as the difference between brand and generic in Adderall, I really don't see much of a difference, and I've taken both. The only times I've noticed a difference in effectiveness is between two different brands of the generics.. I changed pharmacies one month, and their generic was definitely not as effective.

sunnysmiles
05-02-04, 09:38 AM
i have taken brand name adderall for about 3 years now. once the generic came out my pharmacy filled my prescription with the generic. i generally have difficulties with any generic meds, but thought i would give it a try. i felt increased agitation and difficulty focusing on the generic. i went to the drs while taking the generic and my blood pressure was 150/90, so the dr wrote out a prescription for the brand name. so for me, the generic did not work well. best of luck.

akiss4u
05-08-04, 12:19 PM
Does anyone have the name of their generic that is a good one?

t-bird
05-08-04, 03:30 PM
I think its just "mixed amphetemine salts"

Chinch
05-17-04, 10:24 AM
yeah mine is generic 20mg, it says "amphetamine salts" and the maker initials are BRR.

coolwoman
06-14-04, 09:01 PM
My Adderall generic is called Ampheta S/Combo. Bottle label says Barr after strength. I don't know whether that is pharm. company
I started taking it one week ago and love it! I took Ritalin for about 2 weeks and didn't like the way it made me feel.
For one week I took 5mg Adderall 2xday, but yesterday took 10mg am and 5 in afternoon and today took 10mg at 9am and 10mg at 1pm.
So far I feel calm and focused with it.
I also take Anafranil for OCD and psychiatrist is somewhat concerned about interactions. Some literature indicates Adderall might increase potency of Anafranil and one uncommon side effect is seizures. We've cut back on Anafranil by 25 mg and doc wants me to decrease it even more. I hate to cut Anafranil out completely because it resolved a severe insomnia problem I had for 3 years.
I teach in a college and one thing I've struggled with is getting publications done, which I need to do for tenure. Yesterday I was able to focus for about 5 hours and was able to finish a manuscript I've been working on for past year. I did that after reorganizing my very large closet for my summer clothes.
A friend has been after me to refinance 2 houses I own. Today I was able to actually read and sign papers a mortgage company sent to me and hopefully will fax them back tomorrow. Over a year ago the same papers were faxed to me and I was not able to wade through them.
I find that instead of sitting around just thinking that I ought to do some housekeeping task, I actually get up and do it.
The real test will be this coming weekend and whether I can clean off an overflowing dining room table and actually organize my financial records so a friend can do my 2003 taxes.
Another longer term test will be whether, in the coming month, I can clean out my guest room so my daughter and sister can have a place to sleep when they visit. I've lost 3 jobs in the past 11 years and the room contains boxes of papers from those 3 jobs; whenever I enter the room I'm overcome with feelings of failure that I need to deal with.

Jetta
06-25-04, 04:24 PM
Okay, there is a generic available for adderall, which is one thing I was wondering. But, is the generic only available for regular release adderall, or is there also one available for adderall XR? I wonder, because I recently lost my health insurance and it would be a great money saving alternative if there was a generic for XR and it worked for me (of course I'd have to try it out first, which I would be willing to do). Anyone know if there is a generic for Adderall XR?

FlakeyGirl
06-25-04, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately, there is no generic for extended release adderal. When one becomes available, I'll be the first in line for it.

philly2000
06-26-04, 05:22 PM
I been taking adderall for the last 3 months. Last month I got the generic by accident, and hated it at first. I had alot of side effects that I hadnt had on the brand name. When my body finally adjusted to it at the end of the month I really started to like it, I felt clearer and more focused on the generic. Now I'm on the brand name again and I don't think it's as effective. From being on other sites and this one, people usually prefere one or the other. You should try them both and go with the one that works better for you.

ET_BUBBLY
08-25-04, 05:56 PM
Ok, I started taking the generic and mine is called dextramp/amphet and it's from the BARR lab. I personally like the generic better but it doesn't last as long as the regular. Also I'll be switching to a new insurance as of Sept. 1st and it covers the regular generic as well as the XR generic. My doc checked it out and it was on the list...cool for me. Unfortunely they won't pay for lexapro so I'm going to have to swtich to celexa.

Alexa
08-26-04, 10:34 AM
Unless I've missed something (and I work in the 'drug' industry) there is no generic for Addrerall XR, only the immediate release. You will most likely have a lower co-pay for the generic immediate release Adderall, a bit higher for the 'brand' Adderall XR, but you would pay maximum for a drug that was not on the list. Sounds like a 'Formulary' plan. For instance with mine, Metadate CR and ER are the only 2 ADHD meds on the list. The CD would cost 15.00 because it does not have a generic available but ER does. If I did ER brand it would be 15.00 but 7.00 if I got the generic. My Adderall XR costs 30.00 (Brand with no generic available and not on the 'formulary' list) but the immediate release has a generic and I can also get it for 7.00 or pay 30.00 for the Brand.

ET_BUBBLY
08-28-04, 11:09 AM
There is a generic Adderall XR, I know b/c it's on the list of meds my insurance will cover and last week my doc and I decided that I would give that a try rather than the regular.

ET_BUBBLY
08-28-04, 11:11 AM
BTW, I'm on Keystone point of service.

BOOP

Alexa
08-30-04, 12:29 PM
Sorry, gotta dispute that. If you find generic Adderall XR someone's whipping it up in their basement. Shire Labs who manufacture Brand Adderall and XR still hold the patent on the XR but not the regular immediate release. Not to mention when I got my Rx for it filled a few weeks ago I would have been able to get it for 7.00 (my generic co-pay) as opposed to the 30.00 I paid for a Brand. As I said, this is my line of work and my clients depend on my being current with this type information.

jayblaze2
09-03-04, 02:10 PM
There is no generic for XR. If there is then its not regulated or not approved by the sphire company. Sphire makes adderall and they have not yet released the info on xr for generic companies to start making it. I would be careful taking whatever you are getting from the pharmacy

Byrell
10-08-06, 10:01 AM
I just started taking Adderall 10 mg once a day. I asked my Wal-mart pharmacy for a generic for that brand, and they gave me Ampheta S/Combo once a day 10mg tab. Been on 2 days now. I wonder if I should have started with Adderall first, so that I could have had a base experience.