View Full Version : hmmm..... worried about methamphetamine?

Fraser_2468
09-22-07, 07:09 PM
Does it not worry you about taking methamphetamine? :(

Do none of you ever have any addiction problems, or worry about the strength of this drug? :confused:

I dont have anything against any other perscripted stimulant drugs such as Ritalin or Adderall ect because I know there weaker, and safe as long as you're carefull.

But is'nt this drug just a disguised brand name for cocaine? :(

Please discus

Fuu!
09-22-07, 07:48 PM
not really. Why don't you read that basic desoxyn questions post, it explains a lot.

speedo
09-22-07, 09:37 PM
desoxyn is not related to cocaine in any way. It is a methamphetaine. IF memory serves me correctly it is schedule 1, which means it is strictly regulated in the United States.

It's also touted as one of the better working stimulants for ADHD. It works well for attention and has few side effects.

Me :D

LittlePrincess
09-22-07, 11:07 PM
Maybe my post will be "off topic," but here goes anyway...

I do not take Desoxyn, as I am prescribed Dextroamphetamine.... which brings me to my point. *amphetamine*!!! Yeah, it's not meth, but the word *amphetamine* scared me for a while, simply because all of the negativity surrounding it. And to be honest with you, part of me is still a teeny-tiny bit worried/scared/whatever.

Yes, I worry about tolerance, addiction and dependence. I expressed these concerns to my doc and we've discussed it several times. I'm not sure if you're taking Desoxyn or considering it, but I would definitely suggest discussing your concerns with your doc. He/she can make you feel a lot more comfortable. :)

QueensU_girl
09-23-07, 12:09 AM
Cocaine is not methamphetamine.

Dexedrine is not methamphetamine.

Do you understand how people take Meth? They are not usually taking it in a PILL or ORALLY.

They stick it into a NEEDLE or the SMOKE it.

watts
09-23-07, 01:56 AM
One of the most important things for someone who takes medications is knowledge. The stigma attached to METH is the illegal street drug. Desoxyn is a prescribed medication that has been around for many years, and while not utilized very often compared to other schedule 2 meds like Adderall and Ritalin etc., from what I have read from others on the forum it has been one of the better meds they have tried.

Schedule 2 meds are controlled substances that have a high potential for abuse; however, when taken as prescribed the benefits often far outweigh the negatives.

Finally, if one takes medication I believe it's so important to have some basic understanding of what they are taking. Doctors, pharmacy staff, and countless books on the topic of ADHD are all good sources. Don't rely on media type sensational stories as fact.

ozchris
09-23-07, 04:15 AM
The difference is in the dose.
A therapeutic dose won't do any harm as far as I know.
A recreational dose is much larger and gets you high, the method of administration can often be harmful by itself. Recreational users also re-dose many times per day compared to the average one small dose per day when it's therapeutic.

John_M
10-07-07, 02:00 PM
I take small doses because I need it to help me focus, and I'm not addicted. If you take something in moderation and keep it under control, you will be fine. If giant quantities three days in a row, you are heading for trouble.

lars
10-07-07, 02:12 PM
The difference is in the dose.
The difference is more than just dose.

For starters, Desoxyn is desoxyphedrine or dextromethamphetamine (it's been called both names) and it is a single isomer of methamphetamine.

Street meth is a racemic methamphetamine which contains both dextro & levo methamphetamine. The difference is stark for most people in the same way that the difference between Dexedrine and Adderall can be stark, and how the difference between Focalin and Ritalin can be stark.

Desoxyn, Dexedrine, and Focalin are each a single isomer drugs (dextro isomers). To me the difference is like night and day. For example, Adderall sedates me heavily while Dexedrine never sedates me at all.

Matt S.
10-07-07, 03:59 PM
Well, the solution to worrying about Desoxyn being dangerous is to take it as prescribed.

John_M
10-07-07, 05:30 PM

For starters, Desoxyn is desoxyphedrine or dextromethamphetamine (it's been called both names) and it is a single isomer of methamphetamine.

Street meth is a racemic methamphetamine which contains both dextro & levo methamphetamine. The difference is stark for most people in the same way that the difference between Dexedrine and Adderall can be stark, and how the difference between Focalin and Ritalin can be stark.

Desoxyn, Dexedrine, and Focalin are each a single isomer drugs (dextro isomers). To me the difference is like night and day. For example, Adderall sedates me heavily while Dexedrine never sedates me at all.
Lars, does this mean that Desoxyn isn't as strong (because it doesn't contain l-methamphetamine)?

lars
10-07-07, 05:48 PM
Lars, does this mean that Desoxyn isn't as strong (because it doesn't contain l-methamphetamine)?Not necessarily. It's important to remember that the dextro isomer (Desoxyn) is more active in stimulating the CNS (central nervous system) than the levo isomer (levomethamphetamine) which is more active in stimulating the PNS (peripheral nervous system).

CNS stimulation traditionally equates to things like attention, focus, motivation, etc. PNS stimulation traditionally equates to things like increased blood pressure, sweating, twitching, etc.

Based on how other dextro isomer drugs (dextroamphetamine & dexmethylphenidate) are prescribed compared to their racemic parent drugs (amphetamine & methylphenidate), it would appear that the dextro isomer drugs are usually recommended at about half the dose of their racemic counterparts.

We each can and do respond so much differently to these drugs more often than not. For me, after trying all of the stimulants (except Daytrana & Vyvanse), I have found that the dextro isomers are much more therapeutic, and much more effective in treating my ADHD symptoms.

ozchris
10-07-07, 07:28 PM

I didn't realise. Thanks for the info ;)

lars
10-07-07, 07:47 PM
You're welcome. ;)

Bugs-n-Bunnys
10-14-07, 03:40 AM
I was watching a special on street meth and heard the amounts they were taking. I did a comparision to the amount I take here it is -

I take 80mg a day (4 pills 4 times a day)(5mg/pill)

The wacked out guy in the special took the equivalent of my entire 3 month prescription 1440 pills or 7,200mg in one dose.

That would F**k anyone up.

Plus the street stuff is always cut with impurities.

ozchris
10-14-07, 07:15 AM
No bugs not many people would take 7 grams of street meth at once. It could kill the person and would be unpleasant I would imagine.

A more common dose for drug users is:

Oral Methamphetamine Recreational Dosages

Threshold 5 mg
Light Stimulation 5-15 mg
Common 10-30 mg
Strong (some rushing) 20-50 mg

*taken from erowid.org

I realize this is talking about an illegal drug but I believe it is worthwhile information worth posting. Knowledge is key in being as safe as possible with all drugs.

Matt S.
10-14-07, 12:52 PM
levomethamphetamine is what is in vicks OTC inhalers, it is legal and OTC, it is nothing in comparison to the effect of d-methamphetamine (desoxyn)

meriellyn
10-25-07, 07:03 PM
Amphetamines aren't dangerous if taken as prescribed and under the care of a doc who knows what they're doing.

Lots of the side effects of street meth come from the way it's cooked up (all the horrible crap they illegally make the stuff with), and the way it's taken in (smoked, snorted, shot-up), and the amounts of drug abused for whatever lenths of time (many meth addicts will go on binges for days and days and days, not eating or sleeping, just doping).