View Full Version : What if

solidfrenzy
09-23-07, 08:28 PM
depression happens because an ADD mind hyperfocuses on negative thougts?

HighFunctioning
09-23-07, 08:44 PM
I would tend to think depression + ADD.

I'm not certain though that depression is bound to happen though. I really think it depends on how long and how often, and if it has an impact on one's sleep.

nexus123
09-24-07, 05:03 AM
`I must say I fully agree with you on this. I notice that when I am in a negative mood, I tend to "Hyper Focus" on the things that are making me in the depressed mood. Thus, creating an even more chain linked depression seemingly starting from the "Hyper Focused" state. :)

Crazy~Feet
09-24-07, 05:46 AM
depression happens because an ADD mind hyperfocuses on negative thougts?

Guys? I have a little sticky right HERE (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31430&highlight=blurbs+hyperfocus) about hyperfocus...maybe you wanna have a look, in light of this theory of yours? I believe what you are discussing is obsessing, not hyperfocusing. Hyperfocus is a specific state, and does not continue for days, weeks, months on end.

Incidentally? I disagree. I think what you are referring to is more like situationally created depression, not chronic (chemical imbalanced) depression.

busyhermit
09-24-07, 06:00 PM
Yeah, have to agree with CF there. I'm in the pit at the moment and can't think about anything clearly at all, let alone any kind of hyperfocus. On the contrary, I am supposed to be trying to identify the negative thoughts as part of my CBT, and am having a lot of difficultly even doing that. All I can do is feel. Feel like crap, that is.