View Full Version : IR Focalin

namaste'
09-23-07, 09:53 PM
Hey everyone :)

I've been doing trials with ADD/ADHD meds. for the past 4+ months and just switched from generic (Mallinckrodt) IR Ritalin to "Brand" IR Focalin.

Ok, here goes...

1st 10mg dose:

Slightly sedated, calm and a little spaced-out/dizzy. 3.5-4hr. duration.

2nd 10mg dose:

Rough onset (uneven) -felt short tempered and/or dysphoric and speedy at times. This dose was more potent than the 1st but was in no way therapuetic. I have not gotten the extreme (even good) clarity that I got with Mall's Ritalin. At least Ritalin gave me a good 2-2.5hr. window where I felt content/grounded and interested in everything going on around me :cool:

The reason I wanted to try Focalin was because Ritalin was too rough around the edges (rebound) and just didn't last long enough for me. Focalin does last longer (3.5hrs) and has less rebound than Ritalin but so far those are the only benifiets over Ritalin...Pretty frustrating :confused:

Btw, my dosage of Ritalin was 20mg TID (60mg's/day) and my dosage of Focalin is 10mg TID (30mg's/day).

Does anyone know of a good way to split these 10's since they're not scored and pretty soft? I have a pill cutter but I'm pretty sure I'll be left with a crumbled mess...ack! :rolleyes:

Any experience and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

namaste' :D

lars
09-23-07, 10:16 PM
I just recently got a prescription for Focalin this past Friday. I am not taking the brand name this time, but instead I opted to try out the new generic made by Teva,

The pill cutter works nicely for the generic tablets, but I would not know how well it would work for the brand name tablets.

I have found (under my doctors approval) that I tend to perform much better when I combine some of these stimulants together. For example, right now I am taking a combination of Focalin IR and Dexedrine IR. By taking a combination of these two drugs, I am able to achieve the desired effect by taking a lower overall dose.

The theory behind me wanting to try the combination is due to how Dexedrine is considered to be a potent dopamine agonist, which means that it improves the activity of dopamine. Focalin on the other hand is believed to be more of a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, which means that it prevents the reuptake of dopamine from the dopamine saturated synaptic clefts. By combining these two drugs together I was able to take an overall lower dose due to the fact that the dexmethylphenidate was actually preventing the reuptake of the dopamine that the amphetamine had directly or indirectly activated.

namaste'
09-25-07, 10:08 PM
Hey Lars,

Thanks for the reply bro...

I'm glad to hear the Dex/Focalin combo is working well for you.

I was wondering, since you've had a good bit of experience with Ritalin in the past have you found the 'brand' to work better than the generic formulations? I really like Mall's Ritalin but I tend to get a pretty bad rebound effect after 2.5 hrs. which usually lasts another 1.5 hours. Does that sound familiar?

Btw, I've been taking 5mg doses of Focalin for the past couple of days and it seems to be working much better but I'm just not getting the CLARITY I did with Ritalin...it's good but not great.

I think I might be trying Daytrana or Vyvance next if Focalin doesn't do it for me. Have you tried either one? I haven't heard too much about Daytrana except that the patches are poorly manufactured and can irritate your skin as a result.

I'm not sure what to think about Vyvance yet since it's so new although my Dr. did say that some of his patients have made the switch from Dexedrine (spansules and/or IR) and have responded really well.

Anyway, thanks again for any insight or experience.

Take care,

namaste'

lars
09-25-07, 10:58 PM
I was wondering, since you've had a good bit of experience with Ritalin in the past have you found the 'brand' to work better than the generic formulations? It's been about 12 years or so since I was on methylphenidate based drugs, but I do remember tolerating the brand name generic Methylin pretty well.

I really like Mall's Ritalin but I tend to get a pretty bad rebound effect after 2.5 hrs. which usually lasts another 1.5 hours. Does that sound familiar? I never experienced anything like that after 2.5 hours. I would talk to my Dr about that if I were you just to be safe.

I think I might be trying Daytrana or Vyvance next if Focalin doesn't do it for me. Have you tried either one? No, not yet.

Anyway, thanks again Anytime. ;)

namaste'
09-30-07, 10:44 PM
Hey guys :)

I've been taking IR Focalin for 7 days now and I've been trying to figure out the best time to exercise (cardio). When I was taking Adderall I felt like I had too much of a 'body load' so I just kept to my basic weight training and cut out all the cardio (Nordic Trak).

On Dexedrine, I thought about the Nordic Trak but I just couldn't get myself to do anything about it :rolleyes:

Ritalin was fairly motivating and kept me 'on task' but was really short lived and way too rough around the edges (for me).

Focalin on the other hand is extremely motivating, smoother, longer lasting and has little to no rebound compared to Ritalin (IMO). I can't believe how much I've accomplished this past week :cool:

If you respond well to Ritalin but have too many side-effect's and/or a nasty rebound you may want to talk to your Dr. about Focalin ;)

Anyway, today I was about 25mins. into my 31min/3.7mile (cardio) work out (3.75 hrs. after my first 5mg's) and suddenly felt my heart skip a beat! If you've ever had this happen to you, you know what I'm talking about! It happens so fast that all you have time to do is say whoa :eek: what was that all about :eyebrow:

I'm gonna call my dr. tomorrow but in the mean time if anyone has any advice or experience they would like to share I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again,

namaste' :D

watts
09-30-07, 11:06 PM
My opinion on doing cardio or a workout and when to take meds is I wouldn't take my pill and then walk into the gym. I would do my workout and then after my post workout meal etc take my medication. Definitely run this by your Doc and see what his views are. Alot of it depends on what time you work out, what type of med- XR or IR (you said you were on IR right).

Keep us posted on what you find out.

chickenbrain
10-03-07, 02:00 PM
My opinion on doing cardio or a workout and when to take meds is I wouldn't take my pill and then walk into the gym. I would do my workout and then after my post workout meal etc take my medication. Definitely run this by your Doc and see what his views are. Alot of it depends on what time you work out, what type of med- XR or IR (you said you were on IR right).

Keep us posted on what you find out.I am wondering about exercising while on meds as well. before i started taking meds, i ran 3 miles, 4-5 times a week. the last few weeks, i was on adderall (20mg XR and 10mg IR) but now have stopped completely, due to me not wanting to deal with the terrible rebounds--and anxiety attacks.

but while on the adderall, i tried to run, and because of all the wierd stuff i was feeling, i didnt do my usual weekly goals--only ran a few times. the first time though, was AMAZING--probably one of my fastest times. but then a few days later, its like i had lead in my ankles, and could barely stay determined enough to finish--i did though, barely. and both times i took the adderall 30 minutes before the run. difference in the two days though, was the first time i took the IR, and the 2nd time, i did the XR.

saw my doctor a few days ago and she prescribed me 5mg focalin IR (2x daily) but i havent picked up my prescription yet. i hope the focalin gives me better results! ---not in the running btw--i dont intend to use this specifically to exercise--i just wonder if i should take it before or after the run since the first thing i normally do is go for a run in the morning.

lars
10-03-07, 04:09 PM
i just wonder if i should take it before or after the run since the first thing i normally do is go for a run in the morning.If it was me I would take it after exercising, but it's always best to check with your Dr or pharmacist to be sure.

I look forward to hearing what you think about how the Focalin compares to Adderall. I hope you will keep us posted on how it turns out for you.