View Full Version : Can vyvanse help with weight loss also?

shane71475
09-25-07, 05:10 PM
Just wondering, I slimmed right down while on adderall and hoping to have the same effect on vyvanse.....

Matt S.
09-26-07, 08:45 AM
It probably isn't "indicated" nor is it something that doctors or even forum members would approve looking forward to, but considering it is predominantly dexedrine and my experience is that dexedrine is better for weight loss (it actually is almost painful to eat on it whereas Adderall sort of ****'s the bed so to speak), it should be expected, I have heard it has more of that as a side effect versus Adderall.

ImAwhiner
09-30-07, 01:25 PM
I took Vyvanse yesterday and ate like a horse. I don't do that with Adderall.

Matt S.
09-30-07, 03:16 PM
People are different

Draga
09-30-07, 06:54 PM
God I hope it can lol..losing weight would help take care of most of my physical problems...I just started yesturday, and today, I have not wanted to eat a bite and it's already 6 @ night....but eventually I will pop something in the nukerwave.

Just wondering...the pharmacist and doctors say eating should not make a difference with towards the meds..but sometimes when I eat something after taking it..the meds dont take long to kick in as it may not when I dont eat....anyone notice this or is it just in my head lol :confused:

blueyeyore
11-20-07, 10:16 PM
I used to take mine in the morning without eating, but I've been eating a nice protein breakfast in the mornings and I don't seem to notice a difference in the amount of timeGod I hope it can lol..losing weight would help take care of most of my physical problems...I just started yesturday, and today, I have not wanted to eat a bite and it's already 6 @ night....but eventually I will pop something in the nukerwave.

Just wondering...the pharmacist and doctors say eating should not make a difference with towards the meds..but sometimes when I eat something after taking it..the meds dont take long to kick in as it may not when I dont eat....anyone notice this or is it just in my head lol :confused:

netsavy006
11-21-07, 03:12 PM
As a generalization, it should help for weight loss but given that it's a controlled relase and an added molecule, it's affects may be different than the previous stimulants. Plus it's hard to tell as everyone is different on different medications.

hippie_chick
11-22-07, 03:05 AM
I know for me that adderall killed my appetite - not so on vyvanse thus far.

chinesebob
11-28-07, 08:59 PM
I think the official stance is that appettite loss is a mild side affect but as you become accustomed to it that will level out.

blueyeyore
11-28-07, 09:53 PM
Dang...I hope I level out soon lol Been taking it for 2 months now...still dont really eat anything, except breakfast when I wake up in time. *shrugs* guess it's just meI think the official stance is that appettite loss is a mild side affect but as you become accustomed to it that will level out.

chinesebob
11-28-07, 11:15 PM
Yeah - I find that when I follow a schedule for eating small amounts I do much better. Otherwise I would forget. Trouble is with not eating - it lessens the effect. Food helps because then your glucose levels aren't depleted and you are not depending on it for all of your energy. As if that were a problem for most of us to begin with....

Eclipse84
11-01-08, 01:08 PM
I hope it does I was taken off adderal a year ago. I gained 60 pounds since. I hope Vyvance will help me

E4rolls
11-09-08, 08:55 AM
Just wondering, I slimmed right down while on adderall and hoping to have the same effect on vyvanse.....

Vyvanse has not affected my appetite like it does for some people here. I get very hungry and feel bad if I don't eat. Damn it!

Tominal
11-09-08, 06:32 PM
Vyvanse hasn't effected my appetite. Well, I guess it did the first 2 days but that's about it. I am more active since I started taking it though, and that will probably lead to a little weight loss (which would be good for me).

Woman on the Verge
11-10-08, 05:25 PM
There are a number of threads on here that talk about this.

I posted in another thread about my experiences with it.

I've had a tremendous amount of weight loss taking Vyvanse. Went from a size 10 to a 4 in 3 months. Not sure about the weight in lbs but I think it's probably at about 20lbs or so now. I'm also under an insane amount of stress these days and stress decreases my appetite big time so it's hard to tell if it's still the meds or if it's just stress or if it's both making me not want to eat....

Hopefully I'll be at a place with much less stress soon and will be able to more accurately assess the situation.

One thing I have noticed is that I want to eat healthier foods when I am hungry. More raw veggies and fruit.

Manoa
11-12-08, 08:29 AM
Vyvanse cut my appetite for 2 days. But like Woman on the Verge, I have lost weight because I'm eating healthier. I try to drink 100 oz of water each day and no longer crave ice cream, candy or chips every night.

If I do want a treat, I love the dark chocolate SF pudding cups.

johnms88
11-12-08, 10:57 AM
I was on it for a month and lost 11lbs (im a big guy). I think what helped me a lot was switching my fluid intake to large amounts of water (thats how I got rid of the headaches from V).

Tominal
11-12-08, 04:28 PM
I noticed that the cover of Shire's Vyvanse pamphlet (the one that contains the $70 coupon available from many doctors) has a picture of a slim young lady on the cover, holding a tape measure next to a new dress that is being altered.

Although Vyvanse is not approved by FDA for treatment of obesity, I cannot help but wonder if the marketing wizards are trying to generate some "off label" interest. Here's the same photo on Shire's website:
http://www.vyvanse.com/index.asp

Manoa
11-15-08, 12:01 PM
I noticed that the cover of Shire's Vyvanse pamphlet (the one that contains the $70 coupon available from many doctors) has a picture of a slim young lady on the cover, holding a tape measure next to a new dress that is being altered.

Although Vyvanse is not approved by FDA for treatment of obesity, I cannot help but wonder if the marketing wizards are trying to generate some "off label" interest. Here's the same photo on Shire's website:
http://www.vyvanse.com/index.asp

How interesting! This is more for me than for my ADHD. I'm in marketing, in the medical device industry and the topic of off-label promotion is very sensitive.

I know companies that could never use photos like that since it does imply certain things. I DO know that Marketing probably passed it through because it shows a seamstress ... not someone in a bikini measuring herself.

Clever on the Marketing end, and I am totally impressed that you picked that up!

SleepingJune
11-28-08, 05:58 PM
I've been on Vyvanse 30 for 5 days now (first adhd med) and have had somewhere between zero to very little appetite. Breakfast is quite hard to choke down, then I don't end up eating again until it starts to wear off. I do try to stick with healthy choices when I eat though. I'll post back on whether or not it sticks or if I lose weight. A size 10 now, so we'll see...

Woman on the Verge
11-29-08, 12:15 PM
I think it's been a couple weeks since I posted here....

I started at a size 8-10 and am currently wearing a size 1. I do eat but it's not much and I had been making much healthier food choices. Lately all I've been craving is tacos and fried mozzarella sticks. I think this is because I'm taking in so few calories, my body is craving things high in fat and calories. Not that I mind eating these things, especially lately because I'm losing so much weight.

I think I'm going to go weigh myself today just for kicks. I'll report back with the actual lbs lost later today!

E4rolls
12-02-08, 12:02 PM
I don't get as hungry as I used to and I start to feel really anxious and tense if I don't eat all day. I have less appetite on Vyvanse so I have to force myself to eat something or else I pay the price later in the day. :)

ackman
12-07-08, 07:24 AM
If anything I've gained a couple pounds. Initially I did drop about 5 pounds, but that was temporary.

Food seems more interesting to me know. I'm taking Vyvanse 60's in the morning, and 5mg Adderal as needed during the day. I'm back to my regular weight +/- a pound.

My focus is so much better on the meds. Don't feel like I'm sleepwalking through life any more. This increased focus includes routine things like eating.

Since I'm not overweight I really don't mind getting more enjoyment over what I'm eating. Guess before I was just eating to eat.

jlee3
12-07-08, 06:51 PM
I've been on the meds about 2 weeks and have lost 10 pounds.

It's definitely pretty much completely suppressed my appetite, and when I do get hungry it is way, WAY easier for me to decide to eat much smaller portions of healthier foods.

maryam
12-09-08, 09:12 PM
Last time I was on Vyvanse (30 mg), I lost 7 pounds in about a month. It was not the good kind of weight loss - I had little appetite, so I didn't eat that much, and then I couldn't run. Running is my passion. A lot of those 7 pounds was muscle loss.

I'm trying out 20 mg now, and I still have the appetite issue. I'm sure some people like it. I'm not the skinniest person (5' 4", size 4) but I don't want to lose much weight, if any.

985x
12-10-08, 02:26 AM
I suppose you can lose weight on it. I think most if not all stimulants can decrease your appetite. The first few days I was on V I wasn't able to think about food or even look at it. It made me sick, but after that my appetite came back. Sometimes I don't feel like eating, but I always remember too. I'm naturally skinny so I don't want to be skin and bones.

JoshMM
12-14-08, 03:33 PM
I have been on Vyv for about 4 weeks now. I started on 30 and a few days was upped to 50. I have no appetite. I have to make myself eat still. The meds are amazing, but no appetite for me is a nice change.

Before I got on any meds and was miserable, I was around 225-230. After being on meds since July, I weigh 195. I know it helps with my appetite, but I also think I was substituting food to feel better, so now that I am getting more balanced in my life and dealing with things, I am eating less already.

I also noticed my cravings for sweet stuff is controlled now. I never had self control with them before.

--Josh

invertedsuicide
02-09-09, 06:39 AM
I've been on vyvanse for about 4 months now and I've experianced alot of weight lose. I started out with the 50mg pills and I noticed I lost 14 pounds in the first 4 days. After 2 months at that dose the effectiveness of the pills, in terms of concentration, seemed to decline so my doctors put me on the 60mg dose. Currently I've lost roughly 44 pounds. And I have always been pretty much average in terms of build. I'm about 5'8" and I weighed 184, and not I'm right around 140. I'm not starving myself either. I eat 2 meals a day (usually), and there are days I can't seem to get full and I will eat all day. Also, I haven't worked out in 4 years and I have more muscle tone now than I did when I was. Other than the weight loss, the only side effect I still experiance is a little irritabity. I've talked with my doctors (In Delaware you need approvale from a shrink and a MD), and they say in most cases these side effect will diminish over time and they are usually worst in the begining.

Also, I've read/heard somewhere vyvanse's effectiveness is sometimes semi-dependent on the metabalism, and you will sometimes experiance variations. I can't remember the source but I've asked my doctors about this as well. One said it can be and the other kinda negected to comment on it.

djsk8r
03-10-09, 02:09 PM
I think there are multiple ways Vyvanse could help you with weight loss. I don't think it has been any one thing for me but multiple effects that have done it. I started Taking V (30mg for three days, followed by 60mg, and supposedly going up to 70 at my next appointment) two weeks ago about feb 25th. Since then I have lost 21 pounds. I started at 182 and am now 161. (Using a professional body weight/ body fat percentage scale from the gym).

For me the main difference is def a loss in appetite overall. This effect finally seems to be backing off a bit, but only after the medicine wears off. When I first started it 2 weeks ago, I still didn't have an appetite after it wore off or when I woke up the next day.

Luckily that stopped, but I still have a problem as Vyvanse tends to stay in my system longer than it is supposed to. If I take it at 9AM, I will still be feeling the effects at midnight. (To prove this is not just in my head, I took two sleeping pills that were prescribed, and still ended up pulling an all nighter.) Due to that my schedule has gotten a bit eratic, which is fine. I never minded that, as long as i'm getting something done, which I finally am. I love that at work (Starbucks) I am constantly moving from one task to the next, perfectly able to keep track of every task I am working on, and managing to finish them all. All this moving around at work has helped keep my metabolism up this long against the periods of non-eating but I fear that won't go on for long.

I don't say that because I want to keep losing weight, i'm fine where i'm at...maybe 5-10 more but nothing after that. At some point when u are not eating for an extended period of time I assume your metabolism has to slow down, and I am kind of scared that if I ever go off the medication my fast metabolism will not be returning anytime soon. So, basically I have been trying to do what alot of people here have already said and force feed myself some protein despite the fact i'm not hungry.

I used to be a nervous snacker. I'd get home every night at midnight or later, grab a bag of potato chips, a honey bun, a couple coke's, and anything else that was in the kitchen that looked interesting, and i'd go sit down watch a movie, finish it all off, and then go to sleep. (That's not even mentioning the nights when I went out drinking with friends. The evils of alcohol and it's useless calories can never be fully and comprehensively stated.) Even so, I managed to maintain my body weight around 180 for the last 5 years or so. But now, I sit down to watch a movie and have no desire for the chips, honey buns, or other misc. snacks. Still got a problem with the coke's but i'm trying to cut back cause they mess with the effectiveness of V.

A couple other interesting points I have noticed.
1. Alcohol Tolerance (I used to be able to go to a bar and down 10 drinks [beer, shots, mixed, whatever] and not feel a thing. Now 2 drinks and i'm gonna pass out already. Do not drink on this stuff and drive if u r one of the ones with no appetite. Just a polite suggestion.)
2. Antacids seem to make the general effects of V much stronger.
3. Energy Drinks, Cokes, Coffee etc... (While the caffiene adds to physical effects of the drug for me [a general sense of physical relaxation], they also seem to help it leave the system faster. As does Vitamin C, but that was listed on the insert.)
4. Smoking - WAAAYYY too enjoyable on Vyvanse. I went from a pack a day or less to at least two a day and the stronger the better. I'm not quite sure what causes that but nicotine also suppresses hunger so i'm not sure if there is a connection.
5. Cutting your dose in half - this is not recommended in any way shape or form by me, talk with you doctor about this, but this weekend i cut back on the dose and while the effects were enough to help with work (don't think i would have been much use in classes), it brought my appetite back a bit and i was actually able to eat two full meals without feeling sick afterwards this weekend.
6. Not sure how much more I might have actually lost minus the water weight I have probably gained from trying to kill off the dry mouth and lips factor.

As far as appetite goes that's about all I got on it so far I think. Definitely has had it's pros and cons for me.

DeannaJoy1
04-24-09, 02:59 PM
I had to reply to this. I have always been thin and was about 115 lbs when I started Vyvanse last fall. On 30mg I did not have much weight loss - or any effect for that matter. Doc moved me to 40mg and I was doing well. I lost about 5lbs over 3 months - nothing huge but I was pretty thin to start with, and it was a noticeable difference.

I'm an intellectual property attorney and I decided 3 months ago that I was going to get my federal certification by taking the patent bar exam. I needed my ADHD meds to last longer so I could study in the evenings after work, so the doc raised my dose to 50mg. Since then, I've lost nearly 10lbs. I was fine with the weight loss until I got below around 105lbs, but then my boyfriend (who's also a doctor LOL) and my co-workers started commenting and I didn't fill out my clothes anymore. Plus, I look a lot younger, which if you're doing licensing deals isn't the best thing because most of my job requires me to communicate reliability and establish credibility.

Oddly, I don't feel like I eat a lot less. I might be making healthier choices, like some of the people mentioned, but I'm certainly not starving myself or going for long periods without food. I do notice that I simply cannot eat a lot at one time, but I've always been like that.

I believe there is a mechanism with this drug, and all amphetamines to some degree, that makes your body more exothermic. There is no way that calorie reduction could be the sole cause of my weight loss. I also have had the same effect as the person who said she used to run, but now has trouble with it. My guess is that this will all even out and my weight will stabilize. :) ADHD meds are not a long-term weight loss solution, because your body builds tolerance to those effects.

Deanna

taterbug
04-24-09, 04:38 PM
I don't think it helps you lose weight. But I do think it can help you focus on a diet and exercise program if that is what you are into. I am very health concious and I have noticed that it has helped keep me more "in line" with my diet and fitness routine. So I guess the drug is doing what it claims..LOL. It has helped me stay focus on what is important (amongst many other things), but I don't think it makes you lose weight like a "diet pill". Honestly, I think it is an unhealthy viewpoint to look at this type of medication in that way.

JonL
04-25-09, 02:23 AM
I just got bored and searched this to see what other people were having as far as weight loss, and to be blunt I am surprised at what people are saying of course this and all amphetamine based medicines help you lose weight they speed up your metabolism, I have lost 33 pounds in 5 week but I also got sick twice which might have added to it but not by much.

taterbug
04-25-09, 02:12 PM
Even though it speed up your metabolism (A little bit)...by increasing your heart rate and at first decreasing your appetite. Many people eat when they are not really hungry anyway, which would partially explain the obesity rate in this country. Also, when the effect of the medication wears off at the end of day, your appetite comes back for many full force and you can make up the calorie deficit very quickly, believe me! I know that after a few months the appetite suppression really becomes less and less, so unless you are constantly increasing your dose???
Anyhow, I wish that folks would stop talking about the weight loss thing. So many people abuse these drugs for that reason and other reasons. Which makes it more difficult for people with ADD/ADHD (who take the drug in the prescribed manner) to get the drug without being scrutinized all to hell. There are many very good reasons why this medication is no longer commonly prescribed for weight loss!!!

elizadoo47
05-01-09, 09:50 PM
One thing I have noticed is that I want to eat healthier foods when I am hungry. More raw veggies and fruit.

Although not on Vyv (my teen was on Concerta, now Focalin) I have noticed a DEFINITE change in her eating patterns. She has lost some appetite in the middle of the day and her morning and evening portions are smaller, unintenionally.

I have noticed a TREMENDOUS change in the foods she automatically reaches for---now she is ravenous for fruit salads, veggies, and Greek (thickened) yogurt. Her desire for high carb foods has completely disappeared. It's really wierd, cuz she was a high-carb girl!

I'm going to guess that pre "medication" she was trying to get a glycoen boost from lots of carbs, and now that she doesn't need that glycogen boost she doesn't crave the high carb input.

dumbdude007
05-06-09, 02:03 AM
uhhhh i would SAY YES because i totally forget to eat. uhhh today i have had 1 chip 1 cookie and 1 sausage link.

i have lost 10 lbs in a week period and also gained 10 lbs in a weeks period.
i should probably eat more than 3 meals in one week tho.

so far i have lost 45 lbs in a 3 month period of time

taterbug
05-13-09, 01:59 PM
I would say it sounds like you are not taking care of yourself or do not know how to? Many times I have little appetite, but I will at least eat a protein bar, some veggies, yogurt, drink water etc... It is all part of being a responsible adult...right? Responsible adults don't starve themselves, even if they are not hungry. Because they know their bodies need nutrition. It is very black and white issue, and not complicated in the least. I can see it being a problem for a child, not an adult.

This medication is not intended for weight loss!!!

carissa_lee
05-13-09, 05:35 PM
Since I started Vyvanse, I've lost about 20lbs.

When I first started it, for the first week or two I didn't want to eat. It made me nauseous thinking about eating, but once it wore off at night I would be starving because I hadn't eaten all day.

Now I'm not hungry throughout the day, but I don't have the "yuck" aspect to eating or feeling nauseous when I try to eat, so I eat a small lunch and dinner. An actual meal at breakfast has never been my thing, although I do drink a Carnation Instant Breakfast, just for the protein. I eat smaller portions and have also had a change in what I want to eat. I used to go out daily and sometimes twice daily get fast food instead of eating at home, because it was faster and more convenient than preparing my lunch. I haven't been to get fast food more than once this month. I just don't want it anymore. I think with cutting out fast food from my diet, and also eating much smaller portions, along with moving around more daily has lead to my weight loss. I stop when I'm full now, I don't eat when I'm bored, and I choose healthier items to eat.

Although, I would take the medication regardless if it affected my appetite and my weight or not. It's just a bonus side effect, I guess. I do have weight I want to lose, and hopefully once I'm leveled out with the right medication I will have the motivation to begin an exercise regime. Baby steps for now :)

monostereo
06-08-09, 12:58 PM
Hmmm, I've only been on it for 2 weeks but so far I think my appetite has increased, if only slightly. I definitely do get very hungry at certain times of the day and must eat, whereas before I might be inclined to ignore that hunger and wait for the next meal.

kb85
06-09-09, 09:37 AM
I'm really wondering why people are asking if Vyvanse, and other meds like Adderall, will help them lose weight. Vyvanse is dextroamphetamine. If you get generic Adderall XR, the pill reads "Amphetamine Salts." It's a STIMULANT - it will curb your appetite, and therefore, most likely cause you to lose weight. Seriously, how is this a question?!

This is one of the reasons I dislike Vyvanse - I have absolutely NO appetite on it, and when I try to eat anything, I can barely stomach it. On Adderall, I didn't have an appetite, but food still tasted good. I've lost 10 lbs in a month on Vyvanse. If I lose any more I'll start to look sick, so I eat a large breakfast and carry around protein bars to keep up my energy.

squirreltat
12-12-09, 12:32 PM
Vyvanse, as with most medication, affects people in different ways with regards to side effects. I lost 60 lbs. in 5 months taking Vyvanse while others have reported no effect in appetite when taking this medication. Dry mouth is one of the more common side effects...lemon drops work very well for this. I also had many other symptoms while taking Vyvanse, which included blurred vision, light headedness, and near sycope (seen-koe-pee). However, I still think Vyvanse is a great drug. For me, the pros far outweigh the cons.

squirreltat
12-12-09, 12:48 PM
I'm really wondering why people are asking if Vyvanse, and other meds like Adderall, will help them lose weight. Vyvanse is dextroamphetamine. If you get generic Adderall XR, the pill reads "Amphetamine Salts." It's a STIMULANT - it will curb your appetite, and therefore, most likely cause you to lose weight. Seriously, how is this a question?!

This is one of the reasons I dislike Vyvanse - I have absolutely NO appetite on it, and when I try to eat anything, I can barely stomach it. On Adderall, I didn't have an appetite, but food still tasted good. I've lost 10 lbs in a month on Vyvanse. If I lose any more I'll start to look sick, so I eat a large breakfast and carry around protein bars to keep up my energy.
I weighed over 200 lbs. before starting Vyvanse, so I consider the loss of appetite and weight loss a bonus. I've lost 60 lbs. and feel more energetic and no longer need to take 2 medications for high blood pressure. I needed to lose weight, whereas you obviously don't. I do understand your frustration. I hope you have found another medication that works for you. Good luck!

Childe Roland
12-12-09, 01:19 PM
Absolutely. Apparently, amphetamines were very popular for weight loss in past decades, but the practice was stopped because anorexic people would use the drugs in order to starve themselves (sometimes to death).

ADHD Ceilidh
12-13-09, 12:42 AM
I lost over 20 lbs in the first 5 months on Vyvanse. I was about 10-15 lbs beyond my ideal body weight when I started on it. Now I actually have to make a conscious effort to eat more. That's been my experience.

drew46835
12-13-09, 08:23 PM
Vyvanse has killed my appetite wish is good and bad. I tend to only wanna eat healthy food since being on it..Oh and drink tons of water of coarse.:D

Drew

Hippie_diva
01-24-10, 05:12 PM
I started vyvanse the week before thanksgiving. I was tracking all the side effects so that I can report anything strange. I took my first 20mg dosage on a Friday. I weighed myself on Sunday and I had lost 7 lbs. On Tuesday I weighed in again and I lost 5 additional lbs. During those days I had virtually no appetite! I had a baked potato and some water that weekend. Nothing more. After that week I upped my dosage to 40mg, per day which did not seem to work as well as the initial 20. So I was put on 50mg, which worked well for a month. During that month I lost another 7lbs. However I was still figgity, symptom of add. So I am trying 60mg, and it's not really helping much, in fact it seems less effective than the 50, I don't know if I should go back to 50 or up it to 70? Anyway I am down 21lbs since November. Appetite hasn't really returned but I'm not repulsed by food like I once was. Most common side effect for me is cotton mouth, besides the appetite loss. I have been able to focus better and tackle hard task instead of avoid them as I once did!

polisciaggie
01-25-10, 12:46 PM
I lost 10 lbs in two weeks when I was first put on it. I was 170 the first appointment and 160 the next. I'm slowly gaining weight, I'm at 164 now. My doctor didn't seem too surprised about it, and I was still within a healthy BMI. He just told me to start eating more calories, he really stressed ice cream so I was happy!!!

aggie2005
01-26-10, 01:43 PM
So I am 27 and just started ADD medicine. I probably should have started it in college, but I could manage it then. Well, not great but well enough. Now my job is so much more complicated and it was time. I am over 200 lbs and I have been on a weight loss program for about two months. I didn't even think about the weight loss part of it until my first day of taking the medicine. It was like the thought of the food was disgusting. I have noticed, also that eating bread is literally difficult. Let's just say that, that has never been a problem before. I have noticed that I have an appetite again, but I've rolled into a habit of eating a large breakfast and having a protien bar for lunch or nothing at all. With dinner the portions are much smaller. I think my appetite is going to be fine eventually, but I do think the medicine is going to help me stay focused with my diet plan. Like everything else in my life, I started out hardcore on it, but it eventually fell to the wayside. With the V I think I have more motivation to work out and eat healthy. I understand some peoples concern with people abusing this, but I believe it is a nice side effect for me in that I can use this to focus on making my life better in more ways than fixing my concentration at work.

wairoa777
01-26-10, 01:57 PM
I lost a lot of weight on Vyvanse. Am still loosing in on Dex.

Breee
04-10-10, 04:08 PM
I totally hope that happens to me (:

Breee
04-10-10, 04:10 PM
I think it's been a couple weeks since I posted here....

I started at a size 8-10 and am currently wearing a size 1. I do eat but it's not much and I had been making much healthier food choices. Lately all I've been craving is tacos and fried mozzarella sticks. I think this is because I'm taking in so few calories, my body is craving things high in fat and calories. Not that I mind eating these things, especially lately because I'm losing so much weight.

I think I'm going to go weigh myself today just for kicks. I'll report back with the actual lbs lost later today!

I totally hope this happens to me. I just started, and I have extreme trouble eating & sleeping.

OliviaGLee
04-13-10, 02:07 PM
Vyvanse has not affected my appetite like it does for some people here. I get very hungry and feel bad if I don't eat. Damn it!
I wonder if it's your Effexor?? I went off Effexor because I was very very hungry on it. Doctor said that Effexor works on the same area of the brain as appetite. I had to take myself off of it even though I should be on it. It was making me even MORE stressed that I couldn't lose or maintain weight.

Sit-n-Spin
04-13-10, 03:57 PM
At first I did not eat less and maybe even a little more (hormones play in here, too), but now in the last week I've lost about five pounds. I think it's that I don't want to eat coupled with less stress, which is part of my eating problem (vs. hunger).

brokenrob43
04-13-10, 05:29 PM
Been on Vyvance for several months. Weighed 218 lb when i started, and now weigh about 192. That's without diet/exercise.

Musette
10-04-10, 10:58 AM
I started Vyvanse 50mg about a month ago and I have already dropped 20lbs. When I'm on it the only foods that don't make me want to throw up when I think about them are tacos, ice cream, and chinese food.

paigeashley
10-26-10, 03:51 AM
I started taking Vyvanse about three months ago, right at the start of my senior year in college. It has a severe impact on my appetite. I'm a comfort eater, and it's really started to take a toll on my body in my last three years of school. My doctor even told me that it would have a big impact on my appetite before I started, and this was something I was really looking forward to. But, even though I'm eating about a third of what I used to, and even though I crave healthier foods and more balanced meals when I do eat, I've yet to lose any weight. I'm hoping that my body is just still adjusting or something, but it's a little off putting. Hopefully the exercise and curbed appetite will start to make a difference soon. But, my doctor definitely prescribed Vyvanse for me with the partial intention of its weight loss side effects.

P.S.Another side effect I have is a huuuuge nicotine craving. I usually only smoke when drinking, but whenever I take my pill I crave cigarettes like mad. And on the weekends when I don't take the pill just the thought of smoking makes me sick. Just a side note :)
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

DeadHeadMatt
09-27-11, 06:22 PM
I am kind of a big guy, I'm 223 lbs. 6"1'. When I was on Adderall, I was at a constant weight of 150-60. Since I'd been off of it, then on Vyvanse, I gained a lot of weight. I just had my dosage upped to 50 mg, I do hope it helps my weight.

AddaptAbilities
09-30-11, 04:03 PM
I am kind of a big guy, I'm 223 lbs. 6"1'. When I was on Adderall, I was at a constant weight of 150-60. Since I'd been off of it, then on Vyvanse, I gained a lot of weight. I just had my dosage upped to 50 mg, I do hope it helps my weight.

Vyvanse *can* help you lose weight, but there's a healthy way and an unhealthy way to do it. The unhealthy way is to take your meds, let them mess with your appetite, and fail to eat enough. When you lose weight by starving yourself, you will gain it back at some point -- like when you stop taking your meds. Your body's starvation response has been activated by inadequate nutrition, and there's a good chance you'll gain more weight than you lost.

The healthy way is to use the medication to help you delay gratification. I read somewhere that obesity is more prevalent in the ADD population, partly because we tend to eat impulsively, but also because we self-medicate with food -- eating releases dopamine, which helps us concentrate.

One of the many, MANY reasons I started taking ADD meds again was because I needed to lose weight (I was 5'4" and 200 lbs), and I hoped that taking them would help me stick to a healthy diet and an exercise program. I also hoped that it would help me delay gratification: instead of feeling rewarded by going back for seconds, I wanted to be able to put off that feeling of being rewarded until I stepped on the scale and learned I had lost weight that week.

I didn't experience major appetite loss when I started Vyvanse. I lost weight because it allowed me to be patient with my weight loss. I had to lose 55 lbs in order to attain a "normal" weight, and since 2 lbs a week is the high end of what's considered to be a healthy and sustainable weight loss, I knew this would be a slow process. Without meds, I would have gotten bored after losing the first 10 or 15 lbs (and at that point I would still officially be "obese"). With meds, I was able to observe the fact that while I felt "rewarded" by eating brownies, even having a couple of them a week could noticeably delay my weight loss. I knew I would feel more rewarded by the decreasing number on the scale, which allowed me to forgo the brownies.

I eventually got my weight into the 140 to 145 range. I went from being a size 18 to a size 6 or 8. I'm still eating healthy and sticking to an exercise program, and I've successfully maintained the weight loss for a year and a half.

In summary, Vyvanse will be most effective as a weight loss aid by helping you lose weight the old fashioned way.

425runner
09-30-11, 08:55 PM
It sure didn't help me lose any weight. I wish it did though...and happy for those who had success. It actually made me eat more..

seashell31763
02-22-12, 12:37 AM

I am an LPN and the reason that you probably have such a large appetite is your Seraquil. One of the side effects is hunger! And it is a much stronger depressant than your Vyvanse is a stimulant. Kind of confused why they have you going up and down.

lilangelcakes
12-13-12, 01:47 PM
I have been on vyvanse for 1.5 months and have lost 15 lbs. I wasnt expecting to lose weight. I was just hoping for it to help me to focus instead of running around in circles with multiple tasks started and nothing getting done. Do have to say it works. It was an extra med that was added with my regimine. Hopefully this is helpful.

BoredWes
12-15-12, 06:45 PM
It will help you lose weight if you don't binge eat once the medication wears off. As long as you eat a balanced diet throughout the day (by forcing yourself to eat while on the meds) you should lose weight.

It's even better if you workout daily too!

txhausfrau
12-18-12, 02:46 PM
I've been on it less than two weeks and have shed some pounds. I'm at what I consider a pretty healthy weight now (5'3", 125lbs) and plan on picking up some type of dietary meal replacement shake to at least try to keep some calories and nutrition coming in, since the meds seem to make it kind of difficult to even think about eating.

Lizzie80
12-17-13, 10:53 AM
I lost forty-five pounds on Vyvanse in two and a half months. However, I was very heavy to start with. I lug around a big backpack with college textbooks and binders all day- that helped. :)