View Full Version : Night time binging

4gotAgain
09-26-07, 08:24 AM
For the past 2-3 months I have been binging at night time. During the day I will eat really healthy - lots of salads and fruit etc but at night I feel edgy, bored and eating makes me feel a bit better and I end up binging on a lot of carb foods. Im putting on a bit of weight. Ive been thru patches of overeating and undereating all my life. 6 mnths ago people called me anorexic and now im chubby cheeks. What the hell is happening to me?

ozchris
09-26-07, 10:21 AM
Are you getting enough protein during the day (meat, nuts)? Enough breads and cereals?

If you make sure you eat enough during the day and for dinner it might help you out a bit. Just so you know carbs are good for you in the right amounts so try eat them during the day and maybe you won't be so hungry at night. You probably already know this but I thought I'd mention it anyway

Try to eat regularly as possible (breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner) and having a balanced diet is the best way to go ;)

it might help if you list what you're eating on average and at what times of the day, it's a bit annoying but will help to rule out anything that's messing things up.

Also, how old are you? you might need a bit more food if you're still a teenager. How much exercise do you get? do you smoke? any other meds apart from the Ritalin? Sorry for all the questions :P

After you've ruled all this stuff out then you can see if it's a depression type of thing going on.

4gotAgain
09-26-07, 10:36 AM
i eat enough during the day. at night i keep eating even when im full to the point of feeling sick..i dont know why. im 18 years old. i have 3 meals and 3 small snacks...al healthy with nuts salads, bread, cereal, tuna etc. i do a fair bit of exercise except when i feel sick. i dont know why im like this...
i just take ritalin and thats all. i have been depressed for the past 2-3 months suicidal etc. my meds usually run out by night time as well.

QueensU_girl
09-26-07, 04:15 PM
Do you barf after?

Bulimics can get very "fat cheeks" or a double chin from binge/purge.

Why?

Vomiting can cause inflammation of the Parotid Glands, which causes the face to swell.

This link has some pics.

http://jada.ada.org/cgi/content/full/135/5/613

4gotAgain
09-26-07, 07:15 PM
i dont binge at all. i cant bring myself to it....

Driver
09-26-07, 07:28 PM
So you're saying that you eat so much that your stomach fills up, yet you still feel hungry and unsatisfied? If so, sounds like diabetes or a food intolerance.

4gotAgain
09-26-07, 07:37 PM
yeah...really? that doesnt sound to good.
my nana has a gluten intolerance. diabetes doesnt run in our family but high cholesterol does..

sportbikechic
09-27-07, 03:20 PM
My recent experience.........:(

I weighed 145 in May; started Ritalin IR.

*the first few weeks I had no appetite; 143 was my lowest:) I was so excited to think that Ritalin would help with the ADHD and weight loss.

*felt great.....hunger increased

*I was also on WB SR and thought it could be that

*due to unpleasant side effects from the stimulating properties (hives, muscle tension, migraines) I had to stop both meds last week

*I gained 10+ lbs. (157 today); my doctor said that sometimes stimulants cause appetite suppression and often times it can stimulate the metabolism and appetite

*I was always hungry at night; even if I ate alot during the day. I would eat even when full....weird food cravings like (animal crackers). Anything bland, my entire eating habits changed

*I workout 5 times a week and do heavy cardio and light weights; I have so much more energy now. The junk food was bringing me down! Somedays on the medication I did not want to go to the gym....I never NOT want to go normally.

Since stopping the meds I have gone back to eating more salads and eggs; I am eating alot less and no more evening cravings. I have the control to stop eating when full. The increased anxiety caused me to want to EAT!!:eek:

The medication helped my focus and concentration along with moods. I have decided I am too sensitive for medication and will just live with it and try to balance everything with diet and exercise the best I can. I have tried AD (Prozac, Effexor, Lexapro, Nortriptyline (migraines) and Wellbutrin plus the Ritalin) I get way too many side effects.

My experience...

Good Luck!!:)

Matt S.
09-27-07, 04:04 PM
do you take meds? eating disorders are a control factor thing, I have been there and it feels like you are in control when you are not

QueensU_girl
09-27-07, 10:06 PM
Sleep issues can also affect appetite. (e.g. lack of sleep or sleep disorders that constantly fragment sleep, can boost appetite.)

The effects of Ghrelin and Leptin can be interfered with by messed up sleep quality.

I was reading a book about eating research recently called Mindless Eating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindless_Eating:_Why_We_Eat_More_Than_We_Think

It said that there are:

over 10 chemicals in the brain to stimulate/inhibit appetite ("hunger signal")

about 10 more chemicals that control/block the "fullness" (satiety) message (or lack thereof...)

4gotAgain
09-28-07, 02:01 AM
thanks for the info. ive decided to stop taking meds, have read some really bad things about ritalin and other meds and have decided to just eat natural foods, no preservatives and sugar and caffeine and set lots of routines.

sloppitty-sue
09-28-07, 06:05 AM
4GotAgain,

Hi! It's me, Sue! So sorry about not getting back to you after your lovely email!!!!

Just had to let you know that ME, now my teenage daughter, and my mother ALL go through the night-time binge eating thing. It seems to CYCLE for us. I guess it's one of the first "bad behaviors" we all turn to during stressful times. It usually doesn't last long for ME or my MOM anymore.

I find for me - NOT FREAKING OUT about my eating has actually HELPED ME to not lose control too much. When I get all upset about it, it tends to make it worse.

P.S. Have you ever been prescribed Prozac? I found that to be helpful for my binge eating. It even says that it is prescribed to help Bulimics.

P.S.S. Have you even used anything other than Ritalin for your ADHD? Adderall or Dexedrine might have less chance of causing Depression side-effects. I might consider asking your doctor about those meds if you find that NO MEDS is not tolerable for you.

4gotAgain
09-28-07, 06:24 AM
thanks...no have not taken any other medication before in my life apart from the ritalin and ear medication from bad earaches when i was younger. its all good about the email :)
im just confused as i never used to be like i am now with the eating..

piglet
11-03-07, 10:28 PM
Go to bed!

Really. I have to tell myself that allll the time. I'm tired and I snack and munch and chow down on stuff late at night... when I should just go.to.bed. I feel much better in the morning when I handle it that way.

QueensU_girl
11-03-07, 11:31 PM
What in your life is different than 6 months ago? Something to think about.

QueensU_girl
11-03-07, 11:35 PM
NB you mention 'fat' face/cheeks.

You don't mention _bulimia_, so this likely doesn't apply to you. But here's a bit on people with EDs who DO get fat faces.

Some very sick eating disordered people (bulimics) can get very fat looking cheeks (despite being slim). This is b/c they can get chronically inflammed and swollen parotid glands (in face/mouth area) from vomitting several times per day.

(Stomach acid from chronic vomitting often corrodes their teeth and finger knuckles too. Hydrochloric Acid has a pretty low pH, iirc. Often a Dentist will pick this stuff up long before a family doctor ever does!)

It's kind a sad b/c then the person looks in the mirror, and sees a 'fat face'. (Way to feel fat, huh?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parotid_gland

4gotAgain
11-04-07, 03:29 AM
i have managed to change since then. I went to my nanas place to look after her for about a month. Things were much simpler there and I didnt have so many worries. I am now eating healthier and have lost alot of weight

Skully
11-05-07, 11:36 PM
Glad to hear things are getting better for you. I suffer from night time binging but it isn't that bad. I think it is because my medications have worn off and I get my appetite back.

4gotAgain
12-05-07, 08:38 PM
Ive turned from binge-eating to not eating enough. I used to be anorexic.
I'm a bit worried but enjoying it?

ozchris
12-05-07, 10:17 PM
That's not good :( Enjoying not eating sounds like an anorexia type thing.

I'd rather binge at night than be anorexic any day.

4gotAgain
12-05-07, 10:19 PM
I'd rather be anorexic. I feel more in control. Yeah I know my minds pretty screwd up. I need to see the doctor or something.