View Full Version : much smaller forum than the other meds?

chickenbrain
09-26-07, 02:18 PM
is there a reason for that? is focalin a newer drug or something?

or maybe there isnt much to talk about? all the focalin folk are doing just fine out there have nothing to discuss such as side effects?

hahaha, while im at it, here are more questions!

1. focalin and citric acid--does it affect the meds like adderall?

2. focalin and exercise--can i still do my regular 3 miles run a day?

BTW--im on adderall, not focalin--but want to consider other options due to side effects from adderall

lars
09-26-07, 07:35 PM
is there a reason for that? is focalin a newer drug or something? It's a relatively new drug compared to most of the others that are currently available.

all the focalin folk are doing just fine out there have nothing to discuss such as side effects? From my experience, I'd have to say that it may very well likely be just as positive an experience as you describe for some. It certainlly has been that way for me. I have taken all the prescription stimulants used to treat this condition (except Vyvanse & Daytrana) since 1992, and I have been totally amazed with the effectiveness of Focalin, especially when I think about how it compares for me against methylphenidate based drugs. I find it to be an amazing difference.

I put off trying Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) for a couple of years because I assumed it was just another cleverly marketed methylphenidate product like I had tried before like Concerta, Metadate, Methylin, etc. I finally took the time to learn about this drug, and in hindsight I can assure you that I really do regret not taking the time to learn about it sooner. I guess I just thought that I had tried all the others out there, and that the were no more surprises for me with these things. I was wrong. Pleasantly wrong.

For starters, dexmethylphenidate is to methylphenidate, as dextroamphetamine is to amphetamine. From my experience, each of these two d-isomer drugs works so much better than the racemic parent molecules from which they sprung. The same also holds true for the drug Desoxyn (dextromethamphetamine) which happens to be the d-isomer of methamphetamine.

1. focalin and citric acid--does it affect the meds like adderall?

2. focalin and exercise--can i still do my regular 3 miles run a day?1. From what I understand it does.

2. That is a question that would be best answered by your Dr.

BTW--im on adderall, not focalin--but want to consider other options due to side effects from adderall Good thinking. ;)

Brigette0615
09-29-07, 04:38 PM
lars,

I'm considering changing my medication and find your post very interesting. I'm on Adderall XR 20mg/morning and 20mg/afternoon. At first Adderall worked out great; I was more focus, social, less anxiety but most of all I was motivated to do things. Now after almost a year, Adderall do the opposit on me. I lost so much weight cause of my lack of appetit and feel so depress now.

Does Focalin is habit forming like Adderall? I don't want to change the dose every month like I did the first 4 months being on Adderall. How is your appetit on Focalin? Are you motivated to do your daily activities?

If you can answer my questions I'll really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Brigette

lars
09-29-07, 10:11 PM
Does Focalin is habit forming like Adderall? Yes, however this is usually not an issue for people who take the medication therapeutically as prescribed. That being said, Focalin is no more addictive than Adderall, IMO.

I don't want to change the dose every month like I did the first 4 months being on Adderall. I understand very well how often it can be such a tedious and bothersome adventure that we undertake on our search for the right drug/right dose, but I believe that it has the potential to end up being one of the most worthwhile pursuits of your life.

How is your appetit on Focalin? My appetite was effected, but for me this side effect is not nearly as bad these days as it used to be back in the first few years of treatment. This anorectic effect is present with all of these prescription stimulants unfortunately. For some people it is more severe a side effect than it is for others, however it does tend to get better over time for most people. All I can tell you is that it's something that is worth learning how to cope with. That does not mean that you tolerate weight loss, or anything else associated with lack of appetite. What that does mean is that you learn to cope with it by learning creative ways of dealing with it. For example, if you know your body needs nutrition, yet you have no appetite, then you need to give your body some nutrition anyway. One example on how to do this might be drinking a meal replacement shake like Ensure, or consuming anything high in nutrition but low in bulk.

Are you motivated to do your daily activities? Surprisingly, I have found Focalin to be the most motivating stimulant yet compared to all the others I have tried.

Brigette0615
09-29-07, 11:27 PM
Thanks lars for answering my questions. You've been really helpful.:)

Brigette

chickenbrain
09-30-07, 02:36 AM
lars--

i agree with brigette--thank you very much for your very informative feedback!

i wish you all luck in the search for your better selves! i hope to be there....someday..

lars
09-30-07, 03:37 AM
You're both very welcome. The pleasure was all mine really. :o

Hey chickenbrain, there is no need to "hope to be there....someday.." because you are there right now brother. ;)