View Full Version : how does ADD affect your cooking?

D.Lerious
02-01-04, 04:57 AM
I've noticed that my constant search for new stimulation makes me love to experiment, with herb combinations on meat, chicken, beef, pork etc. Also, I love food with lots of taste and variety in taste.

krisp
02-01-04, 10:51 AM
I think my ADD ensures that I rarely make the same dish the same way twice. I have a tendency to start randomly throwing in handfuls of spices. Usually, this turns out well. ;)

Nucking_Futs
02-01-04, 02:51 PM
I'm the sameway,,,when upset I tend to bake and experiment. What I have found though is I can make anything and I mean almost anything; but, do not and I mean do NOT ask me to fry you a hamburger (someone over here has trouble standing at the stove lol).

Spirit
02-07-04, 03:50 AM
I tend to experiment a great deal myself. And I get very frustrated when I make something that is excellent only to not remember what I put in it when I try to duplicate it. This isn't always the case, but has happened a few times.

Most of my cooking and love for food also has to do with my Grandma B. She had 13 kids (11 boys & 2 girls) and came from a German heritage. Man could she cook. But growing up rarely did I see her use any type of measuring device, well other than her hands..lol It was always a pinch of this, a handful of that, etc. I have over the years been able to make a few of her dishes that I watched her prepare growing up, but not all. I sure miss her, she has been gone for 10 years now. :( Although I feel her presence sometimes when I'm making one of her famous recipes or when I'm having a bad day.

Draga
02-07-04, 06:44 AM
I am from the Big Easy and I find that variety is the spice of life...and I am starting to want to follow simple new orleans traditon and have Red Beans and Rice Monday and Catfish Friday...but of course does not have to be catfish..i lie to change up and when I have the money to russle up a good ole creole gumbo dinner...And chicken...OMG is soooo good covered in ranch dressing and chicken dumplins.....I want to make all kinds of thing sticking to the same routine and same dinner is boring!

MRB
05-21-04, 08:35 PM
You all are brave.

Having had many disasters (exploding pressure cooker anyone? Granted, I was only 14, but still ...) I

1) don't cook a lot (thank goodness for packaged broccoli and mesclun greens!)
2) use the crockpot a lot when I do
3) follow the recipe EXACTLY (irritates the **** out of my ADD mom, who cooks with a "dash of this" and a "little of that" - you can imagine we don't spend too much time in the kitchen together unless each of us has her assigned tasks)
4) put lots of spices in everything (even dessert - my specialty is ginger fruit salad - the recipe is in one of the threads in here somewhere)

Vero
05-22-04, 02:38 PM
I burn my dinner a lot less now that I am on meds.....

:o)
Vero

Ace
05-22-04, 04:59 PM
When I feel like it, or when I am in a corner because I know guests are coming, I can work magic. I visualize this great feast in my head, and I get inspired. I mean, I can meet a one-time guest downtown and they will mention the Afghan dinner, or the dessert or soup they had at our house.

Most of the time, though, as I enter the kitchen, I have NO IDEA what we are going to have for dinner. Even while I'm thawing chicken breasts, I can change my mind and instead do vegetarian Vietnamese. My husband always thanks me for making a nice dinner, but this tends to annoy me rather than please me, because he really is clueless about what is on his plate. He never learned to cook, or even to prep. Sometimes I ask him if he can tell what kind of meat he is eating, and most of the time he guesses wrong.

Why do I bother? Because I'd get bored following rules, I don't like to use cookbooks, and because I never have all the ingredients recipes call for. I see what I have and go from there. I'd guess a lot of us here do that!

First rule: "What will go bad if I don't use it up tonight?" (Yum, yum!)

sneekkers
07-18-04, 05:05 PM
i have too many cookbooks and recipies...

sometimes if i am motivated to make a menu for the week, i will look at my stack of books, including loans from the library, i will be so distracted by the ingredients, the methods and the great photos, my list will not have been made, i run out of time to grocery shop, and i then have to serve my family the usual hotdogs and beans because i am soooo scatterbrained...

when i am cooking, at least once a week i burn something...

my kids complain all the time about hot dogs again, or spaghetti again...

:cool: sneekkers:cool:

Ian
07-18-04, 05:22 PM
Hyperfocus dominates the scene for me. I go hard and don't need help. When I first started to use medication for ADHD I was rebounding off the Ritalin at about 4:30pm when I was cooking and the kids got off the bus. Everyone hear me now... BAD COMBO!

The second day I think it was when one of them pointedly and earnestly asked if I was OK. Things that make you go.. hmmmmmm.

I got the message and switched to dex. I look at the half life of the meds now before I get too far along.

I think my sensitivity helps spur me into cooking. I love the subtleties of food. Went to a pig roast last night. The hog was 185 pounds live and whoa there was food for all! It cooked for about 12 hours. I was green with envy that it wasn't my baby to nurse along until people could ooohhh an awhhhh..

ian

sneekkers
07-19-04, 07:45 PM
what a catch-22...

kids are hungry, and tired...
spouse had a hard day and didn't have time for lunch...
supper is not made...
appointments have to be kept...
now our kids are becoming part of this national epidemic of obesity...
but who has the time, energy or even money to purchase food that has no additives, or the sugar factor...
when i get to the grocer i am amazed at how hard it is to find anything that is pre made that does not have some kind of sugar-natural or not...
but we are all part of the big picture, technology is supposed to help us, make our lives easier, but infact our kids are spending more time inside with their high-tech toys...

sorry for the ramble, i just want great futures for my kids, for all kids...

:cool: sneekkers:cool:

Ian
07-20-04, 12:46 AM
Fruit and veggies are pricey in the off season. We plant a big garden and put away a lot of good food that way. I insist on cooking from scratch. Gotta love that food! My kids haven't had enough junk in their diets to even like it. It's not that there isn't chips and pop but the staples are in place. I am quite happy about my kids taste in food. They all eat a wide variety of flavours and types of meals.
ian

MovingOn
12-15-04, 10:11 PM
My biggest problem, with cooking is that there is never any food here. Yet another long forgotton routine taught to me by my mother. There are only 3 reasons to go grocery shopping...no coffee, no creamer, no cat food...ok gotta go.

Other than that, I'm a good cook, rarely use a recipe, and when I cook for myself, I lose weight.

Gotta get back into that routine.

Futs, I almost forgot.....cooking hamburgers at home and doing a good job of it does not require standing at the stove.....this is a very common reason why most home cooked burgers resemble hockey pucks and are inedible. Saturday night hamburgers were a ritual when I was growing up and I can't imagine any meal being easier to prepare for a family.

Try this:

Use ground chuck or ground round. Patties are shaped to approx 1/4" to 3/8" thick and about 1" bigger than the bun you are using (1/2" overhang all around) This accomodates shrinkage. Skillet is preheated to medium temp. Place patties in warmed skillet. Sprinkle w/salt and onion powder (onion salt is too salty). UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER DO YOU EVER MASH THE PATTY WITH A SPATULA. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER.
Glance at them occasionally as you get condiments, buns, chips,etc, to the table. Use a splatter screen to reduce mess and to place buns on top to steam them after the patties are turned. Turn the patties when the edges become brown approx 1/2" in. Watch for juices to run clear when pricked with the corner of the spatula in the center of the burger.

Hamburgers do not require babysitting. After you do this a few times it will be a breeze.

I once had a boyfriend make a face when I offered to make him a burger. He finally said "OK, just one though". After the second bite, he smiled real big and said,"sweetheart, can I have a second one?" Who could resist.

ADDitives
02-17-05, 07:23 AM
yes i'm very experiemtal in what i make for myself, even snacks and stuff. i've done some odd things during my life.

the other day i decided that instead of making 2 frecnch toasts i'd make one, fry the other half of the egg by itself, place that half egg fry thing ontop the toast, put some hot tin spaghetti (mmmm) ontop of that fried egg, and fold it in half.

it was fantastic.

and yeah, i know its strange, and i know french toast is MEANT to be sweet.

i've done other stuff, but i dont remember.

oh i've mixed interesting drinks inspired by lemon lime bitters. i even had a creative 9 year old boy say to me "how did you come up with THAT?!"

ADDitives
02-17-05, 07:24 AM
the other thing i find is that i dont get everything 'set up' or ready, i seem to just start when i get out the first thing, and run around the kitchen in a disorganized flurry

but its more FUN that way!

Digitl
02-17-05, 11:10 PM
We eat really healthy here , it is a must for me and the kids. I always made there baby food myself, if i could not have a garden i always had people giving me from theirs. I make 90% everything from scratch..Now i can say i am a very cook, before i was always amaze that people actually liked what i did. So I started to think that maybe i was a good cook after all lol.
My kids love veggies & fruits..I never buys cookies or tender bars, candy or pop. My kids have alowances and they can do whatever they want with it. But i am glad to see that my 2 oldests are even realizing that if they eat too much crap they feel sick. So alteast i know they are conscious of the food they get in their bodies , and the way it affects them.
Crossing my fingers it will last....:)

broK
02-27-05, 10:19 PM
since we work nites we usually breakfast together--unless i have something already in mind i spend some time staring into the fridge & cupboards.
once the spark hits the whirlwind starts & dont interrupt until im done.
this leads to some interesting things sometimes (wifey actually liked spam hash w/onion carrot & turnup--i was sure it was all mine ;) )
in our house, its MY kitchen :)

mustFocus
03-05-05, 11:46 PM
I love to cook and bake whenever I get a chance. Naturally, it usually takes 50% longer than I think and the kitchen looks like a food fight just took place. I can usually whip up things just by intuition but woe to those around me if it's a flop. I'll never forget the time I made pizza dough and sauce from scratch. I rolled the dough out, covered it with lots of toppings, then realized that I had placed the dough on a textured plastic cutting board and it was not going to slide into the oven without disintegrating. After a pathetic attempt to roll the whole mess into a giant calzone, I pummeled it with my fists and dumped the mess into the trash. :mad:

My Attention Surplus Disorder wife follows recipes to the letter, even if she knows they're wrong. :rolleyes:

Aronel
03-06-05, 11:24 PM
Hi,

I'm actually capable of cooking and turning out some pretty good stuff, musta been the 2 years at cooking school!!! The big one is to remember "clean as you go" keep a sink full of water to scrub up as you go or get it into a dishwasher punchy quick!

I am more than capable of following a recipie to the letter, but just can't bring myself to do it most of the time.
I always have to do something different...it's in my nature.

Mostly this is ok, sometimes it misses the mark and then there are the "terrible tragedies"...the ones that just have to go bye bye....

They say baking is so scientific that you have to stick closely to the recipie, funny thing is I twist and bend the recipies all the time and rarely get a baking flop.

Especially Bread! I love to bake bread and do it every week. I am always adding a handful of something diffent and getting interesting results. My favourite thing to do is just throw in a few handfuls of Red River Cereal, some ground flax and some oatmeal... I use half whole wheat flour and half white flour. (all organic of course...) Use honey instead of the evil white sugar and Kosher Rock salt or Sea Salt.
YUM:) A

whiteraven
03-07-05, 02:23 AM
I've been known to ask my husband if he feels like pork chops for dinner. Then I serve roast chicken. Or curry. Or steak and kidney pie.
What can I say? Food is an art form and by the time I got to the kitchen (after a few side trips), the pork chops just were not the colour of the day! (grin)

Digitl
03-08-05, 01:01 AM
I've been known to ask my husband if he feels like pork chops for dinner. Then I serve roast chicken. Or curry. Or steak and kidney pie.
What can I say? Food is an art form and by the time I got to the kitchen (after a few side trips), the pork chops just were not the colour of the day! (grin)
LOL i do that to sometimes but with the kids...

FightingBoredom
03-08-05, 01:11 AM
The way ADD has affected my cooking is...OMG, it's 7PM and the kids haven't eaten. Do you think we have time to make a Wendy's run before their bedtime or should they just eat PBJ or cereal again? :D

On a serious note with the cooking. I find it frustrating to cook because sometimes the food will turn out GREAT and I can't figure out what I did differently when the same entree turns out nasty....

Digitl
03-08-05, 10:43 AM
On a serious note with the cooking. I find it frustrating to cook because sometimes the food will turn out GREAT and I can't figure out what I did differently when the same entree turns out nasty....
I'M the same way, i never make something that taste the same twice,,,except baking.

~boots~
03-07-06, 01:31 AM
cook???? are we supposed to cook???

Not one of my strong points I am afraid. I stand and stare in the cupboard, and stare a bit more, then walk away....it's way too overwhelming! LOL

Meat and 3 veg is about my limit :-)

Ian
03-07-06, 02:16 AM
Food!! Sensational! It's a sensual thing. I love to cook, bake, brew, cultivate, weed, store, you name it, I love it in food. Anything that grows is even better. Yogurt, cheese, soy products, sour cream, sun baked ice tea, whatever, whenever.

Tonight it was a thick broth of beef with lots of barley and carrots. I made some short baking powder biscuits with sharp cheddar squares melting into their tops while they cooked. There weren't too many left overs tonight. :D

Cheers! Ian

~boots~
03-07-06, 08:55 AM
"Tonight it was a thick broth of beef with lots of barley and carrots. I made some short baking powder biscuits with sharp cheddar squares melting into their tops while they cooked. There weren't too many left overs tonight"

yummmmmm :-)

Lvmyhorses
03-21-06, 12:07 AM
It affects my baking more than my cooking. For every batch of cookies I manage to get out of the oven safe and done just right, I burn another one. SO, I just buy twice as many to begin with, and usually end up with the right amount I need. :) :o

Alekat
04-01-06, 12:37 AM
Wow, I am amazed at the ADDer-cooking sucess stories. The kitchen caused me so much stress all my life that I learned to hate cooking very early. I can't deal with more than 2 things on the stove. Takes a long time to just mentally prepare and no matter how hard I try it usually fails if I'm cooking for others and I can't wait till it's over. I try my best to avoid getting in that situation. I manage to eat good enough things by myself tho. I'm hoping that the longer I'm treated for my ADD (finally!) confidence might kick in in this area. I will remain "gunshy" about it for a long time tho. In other words Traumaized, not kidding. Still, maybe there's hope.
Kat

Ian
04-01-06, 08:08 PM
Would you like to hear about some of the failures? They are legendary in my home. :D

Alekat
04-02-06, 10:52 AM
Yes, that could be a funny thread. Sort of like tragedy turns into comedy when you talk about it years later. Got a good one?

Ian
04-02-06, 11:09 AM
I have only very sad tales to tell. heheh

lunaslobo
07-05-06, 11:25 PM
I think my ADD ensures that I rarely make the same dish the same way twice. I have a tendency to start randomly throwing in handfuls of spices. Usually, this turns out well. ;)now that really does sound like the way i love to cook. I really get lost in the kitchen, i lose all track of time space and anything around me. I dont like to folow a recipe at all. i just start adding this and that untill i think it is done. Now i wont say that everything that i have made has turned out great, i have had many many disasters. but it is one of the few things i really feel i do well.:D

boardtabitz
07-06-06, 12:37 AM
I can't bake without having to count the cups of flour over and over again.

It has now spread to my lasagna. I have to pull up parts because I discover I left a layer out, over and over again during the session.

We won't even talk about what I can do to a meal on a grill. THey need to make a timer for those things - loud one.

lunaslobo
10-09-06, 10:08 AM
I've noticed that my constant search for new stimulation makes me love to experiment, with herb combinations on meat, chicken, beef, pork etc. Also, I love food with lots of taste and variety in taste.
for me, i can take the easyies quickest recipie and make it into an all day affair. I am the only one that I know of that can dirty a whole kitchen full of dishes making grilled cheese and soup.:rolleyes:

Michiko74
10-30-06, 11:31 PM
Some days I will read the reciepe word by word, line by line. I am super exact with measurements. Other days, I can't be bothered.

f_wcomboadhd
10-31-06, 03:08 AM
this is an interesting question..
i think b/c of my adhd my timing for cooking was totally disastrous when i was younger (teenage years til early twenties). although i've cooked all my life-when i was a child i made every variation of home made pancakes i could think up for example and experimented with food and made my brothers eat it!
now that i'm 31 and a mother i've improved drastically but it has taken me a long time to get multiple dishes down. for instance when i was younger i would make an entree and ..sides? what sides? you have to eat your entree first so i can make the sides LOL...
now i can think about it before hand and really time things out so i can manage to orchestrate a whole meal. this level of practical organization has been the most challenging but i've turned out to be quite the cook finally!
recently i've quit working and my husband said "honey, we don't have to eat something NEW every single night, you've cooked something different for months now, its ok to repeat a meal"
LOLLLLLLLLLLL i was flabbergasted. i was like are you kidding? you're asking me to repeat some stuff i've made? you don't want something totally different? b/c thats the way i think of food often times, what ELSE is there to make that i haven't made?
also, i prefer my own cooking to a lot of the mediocre neighborhood restaurants in the suburbs here in exburbia houston. i actually season. many restaurants don't have a clue about how to season!!!
so anyway i have a tendency to try out a million recipes, and only through years of cooking have i mastered my ability to turn out a complete meal at finish line time- i.e. salad plus entree and sides etc.
i prefer making my own dressings, i make everything from scratch except breads and pastas (will be doing that in the future, plan on teaching myself next year)
i love cooking
hate the cleaning afterward!

charonshanti
10-31-06, 04:37 AM
Here is the dinner menu at my home.
1) burned. --oops, got distracted!:eyebrow:
2) missing. --oops, didn't manage to get to the grocery store, or forgot to thaw the ingredients. OR hyperfocused on a work project two hours longer than I should have.
3) late. See #2, but error wasn't fatal.
4) NQR. Something's missing, sorry, thought I put everything in.
5) One of the three successful simple and nutritious recipes I can keep in my head at once. No kidding. If I add a new one, I can no longer cook one of the old ones. It appears to be genetic. Hope meds help on this one.

If something in the dinner plan went wrong, well...fortunately, my family loves breakfast for dinner. Also fortunately, my husband grew up on baloney and white bread sandwiches and thinks anything I make is great. And I am so grateful he eats leftovers.

My new plan is to make a 3-ingredient rotating two-week dinner list, and if manage to put something in the crockpot the day ahead I can indulge a real meal instead. Somehow it's easier to cook for the deadline tomorrow than the deadline today. I try to have guests over regularly to force myself to get creative and remind myself I really can do it. Then cooking seems easier for the next several days.

I love trying new flavors or regional foods. Usually in a restaurant. All my guests think I'm a wonderful and creative cook. They assume this is how my husband eats day to day.:p Hah...My husband leaves each day with a good home cooked breakfast and a lunch packed. But dinner, well..... it's not as bad as it sounds but it could be a whole lot better.

I've read that many ADD'ers have stimulation hunger. That matches how I feel about food--I always want something out of the ordinary, even just a little bit, in my diet. Chili-powdered covered mango suckers, for instance. Or indian starfruit pickles or chole. Or jamaica. Pumpkin latte. Just something small for an occasional change. My husband is the opposite. I think he might be a super-taster. Same ol same ol suits him fine. He doesn't like strong flavors--coffee, alcohol, highly spiced.

Meatghost
11-04-06, 02:08 AM
I have a huge stash of spices on hand from Penzeys (http://penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html) so from there it's usually meat, onion pan or grill.

I'm good at raiding the pantry and coming up with something to eat but I also love food from around the world - I buy a pound of cumin at at time. :)

I have a collection of cookbooks that cover the globe, but I go through them once a year and give away the ones I don't use - otherwise I rarely follow any recipe to the letter and usually alter what I'm making to suit my taste.

Now, if only my my wife wasn't such a picky eater, I could really go gonzo in the kitchen. :D

DaveHawk
01-02-07, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by krisp
I think my ADD ensures that I rarely make the same dish the same way twice. I have a tendency to start randomly throwing in handfuls of spices. Usually, this turns out well.

Same here, but I am a great cook, I was watching the hunting channel and a dove hunt was on in Mexico and they showed the way that prepare Dove. OMG ! I did and even though I only grilled up 25 dove if I had 100 it would not have been enough.

I Cooked for Emerisons Stake house years ago and was the 2nd cook for about a year. I learned allot in the kitchen. It's not all that hard you just need to have good taist buds. LOL

Claudia_0102
01-16-07, 09:06 PM
All i can say is i love to cook and love to eat. Although dexedrine makes my appetite go away. :(

TabbyKat
03-11-07, 10:03 AM
I love cooking! Most of the time, I think my ADD is responsible for the interesting combos I come up with. Nothing EVER tastes the same way twice.

The down side? Well, just a few days ago we had burnt corn dogs for dinner. I also made hamburger helper flambe once... Don't ever attempt to bake hamburger helper. It tends to get rather...errr...fiery, if you forget that you put it in the oven.

dervish
03-26-07, 01:48 PM
I do experiment alot usually with wonderful results, on a rare occasion its awful but very rarely. it also takes me a long time and although my wife hates to cook she always complains about the huge mess I leave when I'm done and how long it takes. I never attributed any of that to add but it seems like alot of you have the same tendencies

Imnapl
03-26-07, 07:15 PM
Meds help. Marrying a really good cook helped even more.

justhope
03-26-07, 08:40 PM
Agreed Imnapl ! I did that ...too!

And for me ...cooking and ADD...one word...

BURNT! :eyebrow:

Carrickfergus
05-31-07, 03:54 AM
If anything, it makes me a better cook... because I can really get going and prepare an entire meal single-handedly. Granted, this mainly works only with PREPARATION. If I have things that need to be watched, I can tend to forget about them. The last two times I tried making steamed dishes -- corn and rice -- I actually nearly ruined the pot. On the other hand, I also had never cooked either of those before, so that might be a reason. :-P

I dunno -- other than sometimes forgetting and leaving the kettle on, I never really attributed my cooking skills to my ADD. Both of my siblings and I learned to cook when we were quite young, and all three of us are proficient chefs. I have to say, in all truth, that my little brother is the best of all three of us, and his ADHD is so bad he couldn't pass high school and couldn't even READ above a 1st grade level until he was about 14. He makes the BEST omelettes on the East coast. I can't do much with an egg other than hard-boil it.

acceptance
06-09-07, 02:29 AM
Put me in a kitchen any day:D
as long as you put a bottle of wine with me,i'll cook you up a storm:p

I love cooking,especially if there are people around to eat it;)

Guest1
07-08-07, 01:11 PM
i kinda move out of the kitchen while the pan is on i forget about it thats not good

Ebzy
12-14-08, 08:07 AM
I make such a mess when I cook, whatever I am making ends up all over the bench. I enjoy it though.

Johnny123
12-17-08, 06:13 AM
I force myself to stay in the kitchen when im cooking things in the oven or in the stove, i just forget! It's really bad.

treza
12-19-08, 03:04 PM
I loooooove to cook....I loooooove cook books too (cd's are wonderful). They are perfect reading for me.....relatively short, wonderful pictures and what a variety!!!! never get bored. Although, I can cook pretty well even do a little catering sometimes, my friends and family swear my best meals are the, "I don't have a clue meals". They are the ones that I walk into the kitchen and throw things into a pot, bowl, frying pan, or grill and make it up as I go,cause I don't have a clue. I generally make a huge mess (my great grandmother said that was the sign of a good cook.......wow I must be better than I thought.....how did I get flour up there??????)

stef
12-19-08, 06:46 PM
bof - it kind of overwhelms me. At the end of a day at work it's about the last thing I want to do. I'll take any shortcuts I can find! But i like to eat a proper homemade meal, I try and make something nice on Sundays at least.

ginniebean
12-22-08, 10:56 AM
One thing I can say about myself is I am an excellent cook. I too have never followed a recipe line by line and I have the ability to reproduce a meal I've only eaten once. I can eat something at a restaurant and know immediately what's in it by the taste, my son can also do this. We can construct the recipe while we eat. Most restaurant food is mediocre at best and I can make it much better at home. I haven't used a recipe for bread in years, I can make it from scratch know the texture it needs and have it turn out perfectly every time. I get so much satisfaction from people enjoying my cooking, alas I don't have a life now where I throw dinner parties but I used to and it was so much fun. (except the cleaning up afterwards.)

pADDyjay
12-22-08, 07:22 PM
:)I love to cook, and just use most recipes as guide and just shoot from the hip something different everytime

ritalin decreases my appitite usually if my dose is to close to meals

If Im home alone I wont cook Ill just graze the fridge or maybe and apple or something:)

Darkangel001
12-29-08, 10:28 PM
I love cooking- Only problem is in Halls, ppl don't usually like cooking with me- I have a friend a Virgo- who is adamant of following the recipe- primarily because of some of the disaster she just managed to stop me from doing- LOL

But yeah- I love recipe books- but just to get ideas- after that I sort of wing it and hope it turns allright- I usually end up forgetting I left stuff in the oven though. LOL- which is bad but hey

WHat I hate about cooking is not the washing up, but putting everything back in the right place afterwards- caus I think- I am going to be using this again, so why bother?

But I still luurve cooking and food and chocolate...this is making me really hungry-Ill leave now

ScreamCrySmile
01-01-09, 12:46 AM
So i wanted to bake a cake.
I had all the ingredients in front of me.
I put them in.
I mixed them together
I put em in the oven.
I sat in front of it playing um, gameboy :]
And the middle didn't rise. It tasted like death
Turns out i forgot to add baking powder. I am convinced this is connected to my ADD. primarily because I got it out and put it away and read over its usage several times in the recipe. And never put it in >.>
So i killed my cake with a knife.
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh357/eatsselfandsmiles/IMG_0083.jpg
And buried the body.
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh357/eatsselfandsmiles/IMG_0090.jpg
It was never meant to be born X]

Wes-O
04-20-09, 05:58 AM
I've come up with some great dishes or so I'm told by my family with everyone telling me to make that again and make it soon. I will of course there's no way it's just like I made it the first time. Another thing is that it takes me forever to get finished. Kitchen's a complete wreck too.

Great a song stuck in my head, "Someone left a cake out in the rain"...

RiverIsSerenity
04-20-09, 07:08 AM
My Hubby always asks, "Is this duplicatable???" He'll love a dish but know that I'll never be able to make it agian because I was cooking by the seat of my pants. :rolleyes:

RosieB
05-10-09, 08:12 AM
I was going to cook some rice in the rice cooker last night. I grabbed the can of cooking spray and sprayed it all over the bowl. Only it wasn't cooking spray - it was spray on adhesive. Only noticed when it smelled a bit funny. Well, it was in a can with a white lid, wasn't it?

kattsqueen
05-10-09, 11:42 AM
I love to cook also!! I am an expert at the quick fix meal.. I do take some short cuts once in a while for eg. soups to help for sauces...

I am a real good breakfast cook too..

for me its enjoyment of cooking for others When alone I usuallly graze from the fridge fruit cheese whatever and i can lose weight like paddyj

Once in a while I will Make a pasta dish for my self as my partner isnt a pasta fan

Once in a while I will make a pasta dish when he is HOme for our dinner together because I will cook things for him that I am not real fond of because he enjoys them so I figure once in a while he can eat something because I really like it

I made spaghetti carbonara for dinner one night had never made that before and he absolutely loved it...Go figure?

katts

IN the little bar i work at on saturday i cook breakfast and serve. As well as wait on the customers...

Needless to say not really that busy (very small town) but my customers appreciate and enjoy my cooking

I cannot bake too hard to follow recipes for me..

I prefer experiment and can really cook up a nice juicy cheese burger!!

kattsqueen
05-10-09, 11:48 AM
Oh Yes john is grilling steaks for my mothers day dinner tonite he even did the shopping!!!

He bought eye of round steaks which can get tough but I will eat them and love them as its the thought that counts!!! I"m not even the mother of his children but he always makes this a special day for me!!!

Weve been together for eleven years and still both add and doing well.lol

katts

Johnny123
05-12-09, 04:51 AM
I think i need a kitchen with a comfy chair in it and doors which are locked until the food is cooked.

as i ALWAYS walk out to sit down in another room and forget about the stove, or the fact that i'm cooking.

oh and leaving the percolator on the stove in the morning is another classic. the metal has turned a goldy color.

Doghorse
05-12-09, 07:56 AM
I forget how long time rice have to boil.
I want everything to be ready in less than 3 minutes. My roommate says it the most fun of his day to watch me cook. Just setting the stove to max... Come on FOOD!! Get done...

Sometimes i am sure I can write mails, text someone while cooking.. Lucky for me I like burned food..

Annwn
05-26-09, 03:02 AM
I love to cook so because I love it, I think I do pretty well at it.

I like to see what I can make up or invent with whatever is on hand and my wife is always amazed at what I can improvise.

I am also good at making multiple dishes and timing everything so it is all ready at about the same time.

My wife who seems likely to be ADD-I, on the other hand, she hates serious cooking or cooking meat. It's too much for her and it shuts her down. She sticks with single dishes or things like grilled cheese or pancakes, etc.

We both hate to clean up after :(

shysmile
10-12-09, 08:56 AM
As a semi-vegetarian ADD health nut, I love to cook and experiment with weird combos to try and make nutritionally complete meals that taste awesome. I have to watch my diet carefully. If I have too many refined carbs, bad fats, and sugars I often crash later and feel depressed and way too tired. Not good.:p

My family often says what I make smells good and I should make some for them sometime, but then they go on and eat what they're used to instead so I just mostly cook for myself.

I'm pretty good with following bake instruction... but I need to take my time with it or else I'll get overwhelmed. I hate it when my mom watches me bake. I don't like other people thinking I take too long baking, but I have to take my time and set out all of the ingredients in front of me before I do anything (unless I made it a bunch of times before). And I often add a little extra spice to anything I bake. No one complains or seems to notice. :)

As for burning food, I think I only remember once or twice in my life ever burning anything. If anything I have the opposite problem. Undercooking. Though that's fixable.:D

joklem
10-12-09, 09:53 AM
Never the same way, never with a written recipe, and usually delicious.

hceuterpe
10-15-09, 01:35 PM
Nada, I'm great with cooking!

Now, if someone were to come in and see the kitchen after I finished (full of dirty pots and pans everywhere), they would wonder why I never got done.

mctavish23
10-17-09, 03:13 PM
I'm forbidden to cook as well as handle sharp objects !

Other than that......

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

rd_wnc
10-19-09, 06:51 PM
I actually enjoy cooking and while I do most of it by instinct I can follow recipies. I like to make wine too which requires attention to detail

Granted I can leave the stove and kitchen trashed and the sink full of dishes for days on end afterward.

I can also live for days on PBJ's, cold cereal and canned goods when I don't feel like cooking or coping.

tash11
10-22-09, 05:15 PM
I love to cook. just not ever day.... why do we have to eat every day? it seems like a waste of time doing it over and over and over and over and ov...

Keriam
10-22-09, 06:03 PM
J is a fantastic cook :) I love it when he cooks for me. We don't eat together super often because 1. He doesn't eat any fruits or vegetables, and I eat a lot so we have different meals and 2. He often is eating at the computer or later at night. When he does cook for both of us it is fantastic, Thai curries, Indian, imaginative meat and pasta dishes :D
He has tried to make me eggs but we gave up on that. I think lots of the food he makes could be posted over at thisiswhyyouarefat.com but its soo delicious.

I love cooking too and have recently begun the foray into baking. I love it as well :) I usually make a recipe once and then wing it after that each time I make it.

The Trooper
10-28-09, 06:34 PM
generally speaking i just leave the place a total wreck! leave everything everywhere!

Violet Dragua
05-28-10, 07:34 AM
I try not to cook as I'm afraid I'll mess it up plus dont really have the motivation, hopefully when I get my meds that will all change.
but I even blew up my sisters microwave because I miss read the packet and heated a sausage roll by the frozen time (8 mins) instead of just 2 mins....ouch she didnt like me much after that :(

stef
05-28-10, 08:31 AM
I even blew up my sisters microwave because I miss read the packet and heated a sausage roll by the frozen time (8 mins) instead of just 2 mins....ouch she didnt like me much after that :(

I once cooked "fast -cooking" couscous pouches in boiling water for one hour and a half instead of 1 min 30 seconds! we could have used them as weapons.

vja4Him
05-28-10, 08:32 PM
I think my ADD ensures that I rarely make the same dish the same way twice. I have a tendency to start randomly throwing in handfuls of spices. Usually, this turns out well. ;)

Same here ...

vja4Him
05-28-10, 08:34 PM
I burn my dinner a lot less now that I am on meds.....

:o)
Vero

I burn my food often. I don't take any meds (yet).

I have a problem with forgetting, and so I'll start the food, then get busy with something else and completely forget I was cooking something.

Nova
05-30-10, 01:58 AM
I have never, ever, followed a recipe, to its exactness.
Either I add, something, or forget, to add, something required.
And the cooking times, never, ever, come out, as, per recipe.

But I have, made, some fabulous dishes, in spite, of.

Nova

Aleksandrapanda
08-19-10, 08:22 PM
Hmm... when I cook (if I can motivate myself to) it normally means that I'll TRY to follow a recipe... but then get bored halfway through and just randomly throw **** in as I go... >>

It normally comes out good.... though sometimes my meat comes out underdone because I was too impatient...

Baking is really good though because it's so quick and satisfying. :D

savanah
11-11-10, 01:52 AM
Gosh..I have all of the negative qualities listed...My kids used to say, "Mom's cooking" when the smoke detector went off. Especially garlic toast...I don't get how anyone doesn't burn that!

I can't even begin to consider cooking untill the kitchen is entirely clean. Then I must have some sort of recipe. I can spend two hours on Recipe.com choosing a dish, and maybe a side dish, then reading reviews of said dish(s)...so I know how to change it up a little.

Then another good while locating and gathering ingredients. About this time I start to feel the stressful pressure of it all. I spend a while more figuring out what to do first, second and so on...so that it might all be finished in close proximity.

Finally, I begin. Try as I might; I can not stick to the original plan of "changing the recipe up"...it's as if I have no control over this. Oh, also, I sometimes forget how many measuring cups or spoons of this or that I have added.

Then, looking haggard and exhausted, and feeling grumpy, after two hours or so in front of the stove it's done. I'm not hungry anymore. I guess, when it's not burnt, it usually tastes good. I work very hard to wash up, and put stuff away as I go. But, in the end it's a mess anyway.

Then it takes another hour to get the kitchen clean again. The whole ordeal takes several hours, most times. I hate cooking!!! I don't get why my family expects me to do this!

Nifferka
11-11-10, 03:11 AM
Then it takes another hour to get the kitchen clean again. The whole ordeal takes several hours, most times. I hate cooking!!! I don't get why my family expects me to do this!

I spend hours in the kitchen, but I usually love it. I don't always manage to actually cook dinner, though. I love experimenting, feel very comfortable in the kitchen, and love trying to re-create traditional Western meals with Central Asian ingredients. But it took years to reach the point where most things I make are good.

I still go back and forth when I'm cooking: cookbook --> table --> sink --> fridge --> sink --> cookbook --> counter --> fridge --> table --> bedroom --> kids' room --> outside --> kitchen -- what was I doing? Feeling comfortable with cooking makes it a bit faster, though, because I don't need to look at the cookbook for every recipe (but when it's a new one, I still have to look every 2 seconds, 'cause I forgot what I just read). I burn or nearly-burn a lot of things, or I completely forget the salt. And the kitchen is a total mess when I'm done, but as long as I've made something edible, my DH does the washing up.

erin_m
11-29-10, 05:51 PM
Firstly, sometimes I can't even work up enough motivation to get my butt off the couch and cook something, even if I'm starving. Then I'll just have a bowl of cereal for dinner yet again....

Also, if I get an idea for a new recipe, I just have to try it! I've made sloppy joes with the slivered potato type of hashbrowns and it tasted awesome and it was a good way to expand the amount of food without buying a ton of ground beef.

And whenever I bake cookies, the first dozen usually turns out overcooked/burnt on the bottom. My oven cooks stuff faster than what the recipe says, and I somehow lose this fact in my mind when I'm baking and don't check on my cookies soon enough.

Shalimartian
03-20-11, 03:07 PM
I have a tendency to go for protein on the grill... T-bone, Rib Eye, almost ready to bleed.

NorCalAndy8
03-20-11, 07:31 PM
The first time I actually tried cooking for myself.....I failed miserably...:D

My cooking skills aren't so bad now. I've gotten the hang of it so far. Whenever I'm in the zone, I start referencing Emeril Lagasse.

Most of my inspiration for cooking comes from Giada De Laurentiis. She so good...at whatever she does best. I'm not sure what it is exactly (sarcastically) but I can watch her cook all day. :cool:

...mixing, and grinding ingredients are her specialties.....:p:D

C8H10N4O2
03-20-11, 10:05 PM
Lots of throwing in random things to try to make something better. I actually am not too bad of a cook. I do tend to make things way more spicy than most people enjoy, but I love it.

emeeap
06-27-11, 03:16 PM
The first days of the week (monday to wednesday)I alsways make the same things, it is easier that way. My husband cooks thursday and sometimes in the weekend. When I have more time I like to try a new recipe. (friday). When I messed up it is take-out or freezerpizza. Thats about once a week.

gerwin
06-27-11, 03:22 PM
I have never, ever, followed a recipe, to its exactness.
Either I add, something, or forget, to add, something required.
And the cooking times, never, ever, come out, as, per recipe.

But I have, made, some fabulous dishes, in spite, of.

Nova

Same here! :D
i looooove cooking, so i make something special every time

MMetelli13
07-20-11, 01:21 AM
Mine is affected in a negative way. My cooking ability is very limited (due to paycheck constraints, but aside from that) because I can't really keep a mindset on three course dishes because two of three turn out good and one comes out wrong. IOW, I can't make a meal per say, but I can make simple things as long as I have the directions right infront of me or nearby.

I don't think that last sentence is as much an ADHD thing as it is me not willing to remember the recipe in question.

tsunamibrain
12-14-11, 05:44 AM
Im a chef for a living and i hate it, because of a million reasons.

Anyways im constantly zoning out and overcooking things and putting wrong ingredients in the wrongs dishes, mixing up orders, BUT

When i get really focused and feel like im actually being challenged im a wiz till i realise my knife isnt in my hand and i have someones elses and im notified because of the drastic difference in size and aiming for a towel to wipe the knife in my hand... i forget what i was saying sorry :(

rickymooston
12-17-11, 12:13 PM
Im a chef for a living and i hate it, because of a million reasons.

I do understand where I'm coming from.

Anyways im constantly zoning out and overcooking things and putting wrong ingredients in the wrongs dishes, mixing up orders, BUT

If you are actually a chef, a hard job to get, you must have found a way to get around these problems?

When i get really focused and feel like im actually being challenged im a wiz till i realise my knife isnt in my hand and i have someones elses and im notified because of the drastic difference in size and aiming for a towel to wipe the knife in my hand... i forget what i was saying sorry :(

Well, I'm computer scientist with ADHD. 100% of my pans have been burned.

A timer is your friend. And in terms of cutting, you have to get into safe habbits.

About cutting, that's scary. I have managed not to slice off any fingers so far knock on wood.

Steven_Tyler77
12-23-11, 06:54 PM
I hate cooking. It's boring and a waste of time. But I do need to eat something and I can't rely on junk-food because of my IBS. Usually my dishes are not that great-tasting, because I do not have patience to follow the recipe; most of the times, I simplify it, hence the loss of taste.

I always go for extremely simple dishes, like boiled/baked potatoes/vegetables and grilled meat. Eating out is so much better... too bad I don't always have the money to do so...

mctavish23
01-03-12, 12:33 AM
It affects my cooking to the point that ...omg...I soo DON'T Cook.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Rebelyell
01-03-12, 12:52 AM
IMnot organized or patient enough to cook,it gets very expensive and old always going out to eat.

blgw99
01-03-12, 02:19 PM
I make a hopeless mess of the kitchen. Always. The food I make is decent, though.

pechemignonne
01-03-12, 02:44 PM
I've probably said this before, but I'll say it again-

Make ahead and freeze!! Do it with friends, listen to music, take breaks, then reheat and enjoy!!

karbouris
01-04-12, 04:18 PM
I dunno bout yall... But I actually enjoy cooking. I actually cook better than most (in my life)... Granted I also read the labels. LOL.

TrackerJacker
01-22-12, 05:38 PM
I'm not really that good of cooking to begin with, but I never read directions xD I made instant pudding with water instead of milk once (I don't really recommend it), and with microwavable stuff, I rarely do the appropriate time+stirring in between.

Joker_Girl
01-30-12, 08:31 AM
Im actually a really good cook.

About the only effects it has is i make a horrible mess that i don't want to clean up (but i am doing better about MAKING myself), or sometimes i will start making something and then realize i dont have all the ingredients i need. Daughter gets real tired of, if she is home from school, me saying, "Go to the store and get such and such". I do this to my husband a lot too, if i am home from work before he is.

Other effects are, occasionally i will walk off and forget something, so i have to put the timer on the microwave so i don't be boiling eggs and all of a sudden decide i need to wash the dog.

Also, if i am doing something like making a bunch of cookies, I will have a LOT of fun at first (especially something like Christmas cookies where i am decorating them). You should have seen about the first 30 Christmas cookies....crazy beautiful colors, marbled colors, lots of sprinkles, etc. Actually picking THROUGH the sprinkles so like my cookies that were blue and white only had blue, white, and silver decorations on them. It honestly looked like something that needed to be in a magazine. I had made powdered sugar glazes in like 8 colors. After the first couple hours i got bored. I was DETERMINED i was going to finish them though. The last cookies suck. They are all just like one color of frosting i slapped on there. Then, of course, i wanted to save the real pretty cookies so we would have them for Christmas. (Like it matters). So i was telling the kids, "Save the pretty ones!"

LOL. Like they would last forever. I took a picture of them. Its on my digital camera. Which i can't find.

Also if you have ADHD, i recommend avoiding things like woven lattice pie crusts. All they will do is make you feel inferior and frustrated. Actually, i recommend that to all people.

I make a mean cinnamon roll. You use yellow cake mix in the dough. Its freakin amazing.

mokthraka
05-09-12, 03:32 AM
I buy all my stuff, clean my kitchen, then ask my little brother to make it because im to lazy

Raye
05-11-12, 08:19 AM
Haha... it doesn't really effect it... my issue is the inattentiveness and having to look at the recipe 3-5 times because it takes longer to get dinner done.

Inky Cricket
06-23-13, 01:00 PM
"At least the fire alarm hasn't gone off." - my younger cousin

When the fire alarm doesn't go off, I can create some really nice food, but then people ask me to make the new food of mine over and over.

People in my house just don't want anything except what they know tastes good. Green beans and steak? again? eeeeeewww... This is one of the main reasons i often don't eat for most of a day until I am starving. There's nothing I want to eat in the kitchen.

Actually, I'm hungry right now. Haven't had breakfast or lunch, but i don't want to eat because there is nothing to eat in the fridge except...eeew...

sushigirl
11-29-14, 06:05 AM
I know it's an old post, but i do very well in a kitchen.

I'm super organized, seeing each steps very clearly. Never burn, forget things. Everything is always ready at the same time.

Maybe because cooking is a passion for me?

Laserbeak
12-02-14, 09:16 AM
Never really thought about it, maybe it actually helps to take Adderall when cooking, especially the difficult recipes that have a million steps and difficult operations that have to be done perfectly or you'd ruin that batch of ingredients involved, like candy/chocolate making, Béarnaise/Hollandaise sauce, buttercream frosting, etc.!

Angelie002
11-13-15, 12:49 PM
This sounds like me. ha ha

addude94
11-13-15, 11:41 PM
Jamie Oliver has ADHD

Little Missy
11-14-15, 08:06 AM
As long as I'm not interrupted, don't fiddle with the ingredients to make it healthier, make up my own recipes or suddenly need to take a nap, get bored in the middle of it or make too big of a mess, sometimes it turns out fine.

intothewind
11-23-15, 12:26 AM
Impatient...cant do most dishes that require extensive preprepping. Defrosting a fish the night before is already really stretching it.

Forget ingredients

Instead of realizing I could build a sandwich I might eat some leftover chicken, munch down a few carrots, eat a few slices of bread, find and eat a tomato...

Oftentimes it becomes a fun experiment. Can I sub this ingredient? Etc.

Shopping for food I just wander around and buy random individual items...feedback loop

Bouncingoffwall
04-20-16, 04:20 PM

I seek out new flavors, ethnic cuisines and highly rated restaurants (usually through Yelp). It's hard to know where my passion for food ends and my food addiction begins (I have a problem with overeating and I'm overweight)!

Right now, I'm into Puerto Rican cuisine (I'm half Puerto Rican), and I've been sticking with that for a while. I tend to drift from cuisine to cuisine (two weeks Persian, three weeks Italian), but I've been really exploring Puerto Rican food. It's so complex and expansive, it could take me years to get through all of the recipes! I already have my favorites (Arroz con Pollo, Tostones, Pernil, Habichuelas Guisadas, Bistec Encebellao), but there's so much more than just the "popular" foods!

I initially learn off the "official" recipes, but now I'm branching into tweaking them to my individual taste.

I find my ADHD actually helps in the kitchen, as constantly switch my attention between different tasks (having to cook a side dish and main dish at the same time while prepping for time efficiency). But it can also be a detriment when I'm impulsive and fail to pay attention to detail (like putting cumin in a pumpkin pie!!!).

Stevuke79
04-20-16, 04:32 PM
I find that ADHD causes my hardboiled eggs to explode.

Bouncingoffwall
04-20-16, 06:16 PM
I find that ADHD causes my hardboiled eggs to explode.

On the plus side, you have instant egg salad. You just have to scrape it off the ceiling :p

Stevuke79
04-20-16, 07:50 PM
It takes an adhd mind for such insight :)

KitCat
10-02-17, 01:52 PM
Actually, I think it PREVENTS me from cooking. Following the directions, all the ingredients, all the measuring, keeping up with all the details overwhelms me. I think deep down I do like to cook, especially the part where I get to eat the yummy food. :D It's just all that it entails from start to finish, my brain goes into overload! Heck, come to think of it, even ordering at a restaurant can overwhelm me - all those choices! LOL

Little Missy
10-02-17, 02:39 PM
Actually, I think it PREVENTS me from cooking. Following the directions, all the ingredients, all the measuring, keeping up with all the details overwhelms me. I think deep down I do like to cook, especially the part where I get to eat the yummy food. :D It's just all that it entails from start to finish, my brain goes into overload! Heck, come to think of it, even ordering at a restaurant can overwhelm me - all those choices! LOL

haha, have you ever noticed that whatever anyone else ordered always looks better than yours?

WhiteOwl
10-03-17, 10:15 AM

I have that problem, too! I love to bake things from scratch, but looking up the recipes, buying the right ingredients, getting everything ready and then the cleanup, ugh!

The other day, I went to make meatloaf and instead of putting the meat in a bowl to mix with all the ingredients and put in the loaf pan, I put it in the skillet on the stovetop and started cooking it! Then I went, "What am I doing?!" and took it out. My mind was in lala land. I swear, I can't think and do things at the same time.I also can't talk with someone while I do things or I forget what I'm doing, and that includes cooking.

I often underestimate the time it takes to cook something and we end up eating dinner late. I usually don't decide what we're having for dinner, until right before I start making it. My kids will ask what we're having for dinner and I'm like "How should I know? That's two hrs away! I haven't even thought that far ahead yet!"

KitCat
10-03-17, 12:43 PM
haha, have you ever noticed that whatever anyone else ordered always looks better than yours?

Yes! Never fails! :giggle:

KitCat
10-03-17, 12:49 PM
I have that problem, too! I love to bake things from scratch, but looking up the recipes, buying the right ingredients, getting everything ready and then the cleanup, ugh!

The other day, I went to make meatloaf and instead of putting the meat in a bowl to mix with all the ingredients and put in the loaf pan, I put it in the skillet on the stovetop and started cooking it! Then I went, "What am I doing?!" and took it out. My mind was in lala land. I swear, I can't think and do things at the same time.I also can't talk with someone while I do things or I forget what I'm doing, and that includes cooking.

I often underestimate the time it takes to cook something and we end up eating dinner late. I usually don't decide what we're having for dinner, until right before I start making it. My kids will ask what we're having for dinner and I'm like "How should I know? That's two hrs away! I haven't even thought that far ahead yet!"

You sound just like me! I become frustrated with myself for being so indecisive and/or forgetful. I've ruined many a recipe by leaving out an ingredient, misreading the directions, or even leaving an ingredient completely out. Drives me crazy! As a result, there are many times I'm like "why bother"...let's just order pizza! :lol:

Little Missy
10-03-17, 03:58 PM
I'm tired of it all.

I just want food served or delivered to me.

stef
10-03-17, 04:13 PM
my mom actually had a planned weekly menu
I tried to do this for 20 years or so...

Little Missy
10-03-17, 04:49 PM
my mom actually had a planned weekly menu
I tried to do this for 20 years or so...

what???!!!

My mum's planned menu was daddy would do it.

WhiteOwl
10-03-17, 05:23 PM
I plan meals for the week, I just don't assign them to certain days. Whenever I try to do that, I end up changing my mind a bunch of times, so it seems useless. It's hard for me to cook something if I'm not in the mood for it that day (is that weird?).

If I had more money or less kids, we would probably eat out more. I do get some quick and easy things for days when I'm not up for real cooking.