View Full Version : Positive experience with GP!!

Penny2007
09-27-07, 01:23 PM
Ok, my (NHS) nurse therapist thinks I may have attention deficit- she referred me to a psychiatrist, who told me that ADD didn't persist into adulthood and was totally over-diagnosed in childhood etc etc. Therapist wasnt impressed and wants to persevere with referral elsewhere and is looking into possibilities at the moment and will get back to me next week...

Today I had to go to GP for prescription and to be honest, I was dreading it:( as I knew psych would have written to her and scared what he had said and GP is totally no nonsense etc etc

But she was sooooo fab! She said she's referred someone to the same psych from CAMHS and that he'd told her point blank that adults didn't have ADD etc etc, so not just me. She is also very happy to liase with my therapist re a referral and looks forward to speaking to her

I said how grateful I was that she'd listened to me, as many people have very bad experiences with GPs etc...she was so open minded:)

Just thought I'd share to give others some hope that there are some understanding (UK) GPs out there

Penny:)

PinkBeauty
09-27-07, 02:51 PM
That's good to hear. My GP was quite helpful too, didn't say much and told me he didn't know anyone who'd be diagnosed with Adult ADHD but he listened was prepared to refer me, which was all I wanted him to do.

Matt S.
09-27-07, 03:26 PM
Most GP's will write you your prescriptions if you have the diagnosis, so you may not need the psychiatrist after the evaluation... that's a plus, in some situations.

boone1
09-28-07, 10:12 AM
It's great that your GP listened to you! If only everyone (GP's, Therapists, etc) were a bit more up to date on ADHD and that it is not just for children.

skatty
03-27-08, 03:38 AM
It's a shame there are so many uneducated doctors(oxymoron? :P) out there! The psychiatrist I saw on the NHS was wonderful. He even saw the funny side when I had to go back to his office to get my jacket! :p