View Full Version : I Miss Sleep!

ergop
10-03-07, 04:26 AM
On average, how long does it take you to fall asleep?
5 minutes - 10 minutes - 30 minutes - 1 hour - 4 hours?

I've always been a sleep rebel :P
Before I could talk I would kick and scream for hours when my mom put me to bed.
Nowdays it takes me around 45 minutes - 4 hours (on those really bad days) to fall asleep.
The worst it's ever been was around 6 hours...
I must say... It can get very boring lying there for 6 hours...

Has anyone found the quick sleep cure? I'll pay a mint!

I'm exhausted at the moment ... wish I could sleep! I've only had about 9 hours of sleep in the past two days - it's 1:24am and I just can't fall asleep! I lay here for 1 hour before I picked up my laptop out of boredum.

Soo - How is everyones sleeping scheduals? How do you cope with such little sleep? Or... can you even cope at all!? (I've been known to bump into a few falls on little sleep) And most of all... What is your cure for those "I CAN'T SLEEP!" nights?
Share your secrets!

pedalpounder
10-03-07, 05:55 AM
Everytime I convince myself that I have to stop thinking, I fall asleep in 30 seconds. Problem is, it takes me 6 hours to convince myself that I have to stop thinking. :)

There's a ton of things you can do to help you sleep. Problem is all of the 'easy way out' things that can help you sleep have nasty side effects. Alcohol might knock you out but even in smallish quantities will make you feel bad the next day. Benadryl knocks you right out but it will absolutely make you feel grumpy / sluggish the next day. There's reading books, but if they're too interesting you won't fall asleep, and if they're boring you won't do it every night to fall asleep.

Here's my trick. Don't do any computing or TV after 10 o'clock. From 10 o'clock on, read a book, take a bath or do something not requiring a screen. Then, as soon as you feel a tiny bit tired, go to bed immediately. Don't go to bed BEFORE you feel that "tiredness".

Thing is, it's been proven that our sleep patterns come and go in 90 minute periods. Every 90 minutes you'll have a window during which you can fall asleep really easily. Miss or ignore the window and you'll get a 'second wind' until the next period comes up. So, when you feel tired, get to bed right away. That works every time. Listen to your tiredness.

boone1
10-03-07, 02:45 PM
It takes me hours and hours and hours to get to sleep, and an hour after I finalyl get to sleep I wake up again! Routines and exercise hasn't changed much so I have accepted that i just will never be able to sleep like normal sleepers!

Swede63
10-12-07, 02:38 PM
Wow pedalpounder thanks for the great advice (hope it helps the OP) I have been going on little or no sleep for the last few months on and off. It can be quite distressing to say the least. I didn't know about the "window of sleep opportunity" I'm going to try that. I do agree that avoiding things like t.v. and computing for two hours before bed helps. As of now after trying everything I have resorted to taking 2 Lorezapam at bedtime to catch up on my sleep. I don't want that to be long term though.

For the OP there are a few good books that have been published lately that will help shed some light on the subject and the general architecture of sleep plus tips on getting a better nights rest. One is "The Harvard Medical School guide to a good nights sleep" the other is "A womens guide to sleep: guaranteed solutions for good nights rest" by Joyce Walsleben

Good luck and sweet dreams!

Everytime I convince myself that I have to stop thinking, I fall asleep in 30 seconds. Problem is, it takes me 6 hours to convince myself that I have to stop thinking. :)

There's a ton of things you can do to help you sleep. Problem is all of the 'easy way out' things that can help you sleep have nasty side effects. Alcohol might knock you out but even in smallish quantities will make you feel bad the next day. Benadryl knocks you right out but it will absolutely make you feel grumpy / sluggish the next day. There's reading books, but if they're too interesting you won't fall asleep, and if they're boring you won't do it every night to fall asleep.

Here's my trick. Don't do any computing or TV after 10 o'clock. From 10 o'clock on, read a book, take a bath or do something not requiring a screen. Then, as soon as you feel a tiny bit tired, go to bed immediately. Don't go to bed BEFORE you feel that "tiredness".

Thing is, it's been proven that our sleep patterns come and go in 90 minute periods. Every 90 minutes you'll have a window during which you can fall asleep really easily. Miss or ignore the window and you'll get a 'second wind' until the next period comes up. So, when you feel tired, get to bed right away. That works every time. Listen to your tiredness.

Guest1
10-12-07, 03:20 PM
like an hour or more some times i cant sleep when im really tired takes 30 mins

Tara
10-12-07, 03:39 PM
Do any of you do any type of wind down routines or activity before going trying to sleep?

Guest1
10-12-07, 03:51 PM
no i never did but i walk my dogs to bathroom before i go to bed that doesnt wind me down thoughDo any of you do any type of wind down routines or activity before going trying to sleep?

boone1
10-12-07, 04:52 PM
Do any of you do any type of wind down routines or activity before going trying to sleep?
I tried reading which makes me tired but I get bored of reading too quickly.
Also exercise during the day helps but im getting lazy lol.