View Full Version : Block Scheduling

KtBeth
10-06-07, 11:53 AM
My high school has block schedualing. That means we only have four classes a day, each are 90 minutes long, and eight minutes between classes.
It's great because we don't have much homework at the end of the day but there is a problem.

Everyone with AD/HD will agree that paying attention is one of the hardest parts of AD/HD and with 90 minutes?!?! That's almost unbearable! Does anyone else have block schedualing or some form of it?? :confused:

livinginchaos
10-06-07, 03:34 PM
when i was in high school I did . . it was horrible to sit still for that long! I wasn't diagnosed then, so I didn't have an IEP. If you have an IEP, you might be able to have written in it that you get breaks every so often.

Paws13
10-06-07, 03:42 PM
I have block scheduling now. 4 classes, 90 minutes, 5 minutes to get to the next class. I agree, it's pretty hard to sit still for that long. Especially World History, it seems endless!

Matt S.
10-06-07, 03:52 PM
I hated block scheduling, It wasn't too long ago that I was in high school and 5 minutes after being in class I would bet so bored and it would feel like watching the grass grow to sit in there

boone1
10-06-07, 03:55 PM
I used to have 5 lessons a day, 55 mins per lesson, and every now and again would have double lessons of 1 hour and 40 mins.

I couldn't even handle that and eventually was put onto a reduced timetable, I don't know how you put up with block schedualling! :eek:

KtBeth
10-06-07, 08:29 PM
The worst ones for me are Algebra 2 and Sociology.

I absolutly hate Algebra, it's very easy for me and I'm getting an A but it's so boring. I just do my homework while the teacher is teaching.

In Sociology I just have a bad teacher. It intrests me but all she does is lectures and notes. Plus projects which I hate because they are posters. I'm never creative enough for posters.

A block I have community learning and then the last block I have poetry class which I love. That is about the only class I can stand.

Marty
10-07-07, 12:19 AM
I have that too, 5*80 mins. some (total of 5*40) aren't blocked up. but the rest we do have blocks. It makes it very hard to keep focused and I normally fail that part, other then that I don't mind it. It does mean that you have less times that you get homework for it, but that is canceled out since you just get more homework per lesson.

Paws13
10-07-07, 01:50 AM
At my other school, it was 6 blocks per day, for an hour each- 3 minutes to get to each class. Now it's 4 bocks, hour and a half each, five minutes to get to each class.

Either way, it's extremely annoying!

ah09087
10-07-07, 04:01 PM
i have 4 blocks a day at 80 minutes each. I feel like jumping out of the window. lol

Paige1989
10-11-07, 05:54 PM
Oy, I have block scheduling, too. Eight blocks, four on "A" days and four on "B" days, each ninety minutes. It's impossible! Some kids adjusted really well to it, but I can't stand it 'cause when I started in middle school, it was seven 45 minute classes, which was soooo much easier for me. Then the whole county switched over to block scheduling when I was in eighth grade. :S Apparently it helps you get ready for college...any way you shake it, though, I hate it. >.<

add forums2213
03-25-08, 12:48 PM
I like it ,but I also have lots of interesting classes with good teachers.

nat_tdr
03-27-08, 05:36 PM
I don't have block scheduling. I have 6 classes per day at an hour each, with 1/2 an hour for lunch and 5 minutes between each class to switch. I generally zone out within the first 5 minutes.