View Full Version : HELP! Can my mom FORCE me to take meds?

brittalitt
10-08-07, 12:29 AM
She says I need them but I say otherwise, I hate the feeling of being on them because I was only diagnosed last november so I'm used to who I am and LOVE IT! Just because my grades dropped a little, and I accidentally hit a car backing up doesn't mean I need medication, all sorts of people do stuff like that!
So can she really make me take them?

Crazy~Feet
10-08-07, 01:02 AM
How old are you, Britt? And what type of meds are you taking?

~boots~
10-08-07, 08:42 AM
She says I need them but I say otherwise, I hate the feeling of being on them because I was only diagnosed last november so I'm used to who I am and LOVE IT! Just because my grades dropped a little, and I accidentally hit a car backing up doesn't mean I need medication, all sorts of people do stuff like that!
So can she really make me take them?I have no idea, but I wish my Mum made me take them back then..and then maybe I wouldn't have been constantly fired, got megga speeding tickets, and generally been a PITA..

but, maybe you don't need them...

why did the doc prescribe them??

boone1
10-08-07, 12:01 PM
What if you write out the good and bad things about being on the meds, then show the list to your mum? Then she will be able to see all the reasons why you don't want to take meds. (I am assuming that for you there are more cons then pros.)She will also see that you have taken the good things about the meds into consideration but you still think not taking them is best for you.

~boots~
10-08-07, 09:27 PM
What if you write out the good and bad things about being on the meds, then show the list to your mum? Then she will be able to see all the reasons why you don't want to take meds. (I am assuming that for you there are more cons then pros.)She will also see that you have taken the good things about the meds into consideration but you still think not taking them is best for you.good idea Boone :-)

livinginchaos
10-08-07, 09:45 PM
ditto!

i think boone's idea of writing the pros and cons and presenting the list to your mom will be beneficial. then she knows you've been really thinking about it and it isn't a rash decision.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!!

Paws13
10-09-07, 10:46 PM
I would say give it a shot first- maybe you'll feel better on the meds? If you don't like it, then you have a perfectly good back up to tell your mom you don't the meds.

QueensU_girl
10-11-07, 10:02 PM
I'd say try them and WATCH your Grades for ONE TERM.

If they give you wicked side effects (eg headache), ask about changing meds to something less intense. (e.g. Ritalin can be nasty; Dexedrine is milder, etc)

livinginchaos
10-13-07, 12:00 AM
Actually, I think Paws and Queens have an excellent point. You won't truly know the pros and cons of the medication unless you give it a good try.

Skully
10-16-07, 07:11 PM
To answer your question, no, you cannot be forced to take your meds. Having said that though, your mom can make your life pretty miserable unless you do take them. Give it a try, what do you have to lose? I take meds and have for a year now and I noticed that I really haven't changed as a person, I just pay attention more and I don't blurt out inappropriate things as often. Like queens said, give it a try for a term and see what happens.

auntchris
01-13-08, 09:48 PM
I have read all the post and it seem you arre geting pretty good advice. Hun, take it from the people who have been there. Life can get rough when you are forced to do something. I didnt like it when I was your age , either. Taking med. Now that I am taking my meds, I am able to concentrate better and get A's and B's... but I have to work at it, the medication doesnt give you the good grades it help you to focus and concentrate so you can study.

I like the idea of of the pros/ con. My advice is try the medication, like Queen said give it a Term and see how your grades have improved. I am glad you are really thinking about it.

Kingway
12-09-08, 02:32 AM
If you're older than 14, she can't force you, no.

Jpalmer
12-10-08, 04:26 PM
Thank yourself lucky you even have them

Driver
12-10-08, 07:19 PM
Consider trying different medication - perhaps your current one just isn't working for you.

INaBOX
12-10-08, 08:44 PM
She can't force you but she should be listening to your concerns. If they make you feel high, then perhaps you haven't found the meds that work for you. Also, you've only been on meds for less than a month right? Side effects usually decrease after a period of time.

auntchris
12-17-08, 03:10 PM
The only way she can make you is if she is your gardian or you are under age and she has the say so according to your life.