View Full Version : Cleaning house the "Real Simple" way

KittenPoker
10-11-07, 07:35 AM
I have this article bookmarked from CNN. Part of me says, "Obsessive much?" but I'm really trying to incorporate some of this stuff into our daily routine. I have the bedmaking down finally but training Mr. KP to rinse and load his plates? Yeah, right!

Oh, and Fly Lady sounds too cultish for my liking. I don't want constant reminders via email that I'm a slob, TYVM.

-- With these room-by-room checklists, you can maintain a sparkling house in just 19 minutes a day, giving you more time for family, friends and you. <!--startclickprintexclude-->
<!----><!--===========IMAGE============-->Kitchen, 4 minutes daily
Always start with the sink. "Keep it empty and shining," says Marla Cilley, author of Sink Reflections (Bantam, $15) and creator of www.FlyLady.net (http://www.flylady.net/), a housekeeping Web site. A sparkling sink becomes your kitchen's benchmark for hygiene and tidiness, inspiring you to load the dishwasher immediately and keep counters, refrigerator doors, and the stovetop spick-and-span, too.

Wipe down the sink after doing the dishes or loading the dishwasher (30 seconds).
Wipe down the stove top (one minute).
Wipe down the counters (one minute).
Sweep, Swiffer, or vacuum the floor (two minutes) {yeah, right!!! I'm lucky if it gets done once a week!}

Bathroom, 2 minutes daily
Make cleaning the basin as routine as washing your hands. But don't stop there. Get the most out of your premoistened wipe by using it to clean around the edges of the tub and then the toilet before tossing it.

Wipe out the sink (30 seconds). Wipe the toilet seat and rim (15 seconds) {Bwahahahaha!!! Too funny!}
Swoosh the toilet bowl with a brush (15 seconds) {like this will happen}
Wipe the mirror and faucet (15 seconds).
Squeegee the shower door (30 seconds).
Spray the entire shower and the curtain liner with shower mist after every use (15 seconds).

<!--startclickprintexclude-->Bedroom, 6 minutes daily
Make your bed right before or after your morning shower. A neat bed will inspire you to deal with other messes immediately. Although smoothing sheets and plumping pillows might not seen like a high priority as you're rushing to work, the payoff comes at the end of the day, when you slip back under the unruffled covers.
Make the bed (two minutes).
Fold or hang clothing and put away jewelry (four minutes).
Straighten out the night-table surface (30 seconds).

Family room, living room, foyer, 6 minutes daily
Start with the sofa -- as long as it's in disarray, your living room will never look tidy. Once you've fluffed the pillows and folded the throws, you're halfway home. If you pop in a CD while you dust, you should be able cover the whole room by the end of the third track.

Pick up crumbs and dust bunnies with a handheld vacuum (one minute).
Fluff the cushions and fold throws after use (two minutes).
Wipe tabletops and spot-clean cabinets when you see fingerprints (one minute).
Straighten coffee-table books and magazines, throw out newspapers, put away CDs and videos (two minutes.)

~boots~
10-11-07, 07:54 AM
Bathroom, 2 minutes daily
Make cleaning the basin as routine as washing your hands. But don't stop there. Get the most out of your premoistened wipe by using it to clean around the edges of the tub and then the toilet before tossing it.

. LOL I do that :-)

kilted_scotsman
10-11-07, 07:56 AM
"Get the most from your premoistened wipe"

Scary person

kilt

KittenPoker
10-11-07, 08:24 AM
Kilt, you and I haven't spoken before but your posts crack me up! That little snippet sounds so dirty when you say it like that *wink!*

Matt S.
10-11-07, 09:04 AM
Stuff the clutter in a closet

Honeybunnie8
10-11-07, 03:19 PM
Sounds almost reasonable but it assumes your house is clean to begin with....what if you have piles and piles of cloths everywhere and things in the kitchen have to be soaked or chipped off first....:eyebrow:

hollyduck
10-11-07, 05:23 PM
Sounds almost reasonable but it assumes your house is clean to begin with....what if you have piles and piles of cloths everywhere and things in the kitchen have to be soaked or chipped off first....:eyebrow:
easy way to get stuff off the stove -- lay down a layer of paper towels on the top of the stove, and then pour a cup or two of hot water all around the paper towels until they are quite wet. Go away. Set a kitchen timer, and come back in an hour or so. no matter what has been on top of the stove, it'll be a lot easier to deal with now.

Ducky

KittenPoker
10-11-07, 05:41 PM
Once our flooring is complete (we're putting hardwood down) I'm calling a cleaning service for one really deep cleaning. Mr. KP and I are getting better...I believe once we can get to "maintenance" mode we'll be okay. I don't want to live in a model home but I want to set a good example for Little KP.

NonSequitur
10-12-07, 10:24 AM
Oh, and Fly Lady sounds too cultish for my liking. I don't want constant reminders via email that I'm a slob, TYVM.
No kidding, eh?

A sparkling sink becomes your kitchen's benchmark for hygiene and tidiness, inspiring you to load the dishwasher immediately and keep counters, refrigerator doors, and the stovetop spick-and-span, too.
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! I had a clean sink and empty dishwasher, and still things piled up. I was great for a couple of weeks, then one day I just couldn't think about it.

Ummm...premoistened wipe? What premoistened wipe?

Kitchen floor - there's a floor?!?

Don't even talk about the bathroom - I'm battling mold now and making some progress. I'm seriously considering a "bath fitter", the acrylic thingy that goes right over everything. It looks easy to keep clean.

meadd823
10-16-07, 05:01 AM
My easy system if it bothers me I clean it if it doesn't I don't.

NonSequitur
10-17-07, 10:45 AM
That's pretty much my system too. Ignore it as long as possible. And I can ignore for a looooooong time!

lostranslation
10-19-07, 11:44 AM
This would be my list:
Rinse off nasty slimy dishes that have filled up both sinks. Pile them on the counter. Go around the house and gather up all the dishes that have science projects growing in them. While gathering them, notice that the light is blinking on the answering machine. Listen to messages. Call back friend and talk for an hour and plan to get together for lunch.

Fill the kichen sink with hot soapy water. Soak dishes. Take a coffee break and check email. Spend 3 hours on the computer.

Suddenly realize that you have to meet friend for lunch in half an hour, and you are not dressed.

Dig through pile of clothes on the floor and throw some in the dryer with a wet towel to get the wrinkles out. Fix hair and makeup, realizing that you look like crap. Get dressed and leave in a panic.

Have a really nice lunch with friend, who doesn't care that you look like crap, and already knew that you would be late.

Come home sleepy from eating too much. Take a nap.

Wake up and empty cold soapy water out of sink and refill with hot/soapy. Hand wash dishes. (don't have a dishwasher)
Use ingenuity and creativity to stack an unbeilivable amount of clean dishes in a drainer that is not designed to hold that many.

Realize that my husband will be home in a half hour. Do the "panic clean": wipe all crumbs to the floor and spray everything in the kitchen and bathroom with 409.

Grab all the junk/dirty clothes that have collected in the livingroom and shove it in the closet. Sweep the kitchen. Don't use a dustpan, just sweep onto the livingroom carpet. Vacuume the living room. Wipe down the kitchen and bathroom. Good enough.

Pick up the clothes/towels on the bathroom floor and shove in washer. don't start it. Sweep the bathroom. Should have done that before a vacuumed. Oh well, Done. It only took seven and a half hours! Was I supposed to do something else? Oh yeah. Dinner. Crap..... ( Do people really make thier beds every morning? Why?)

meadd823
10-20-07, 02:55 AM
Do people really make their beds every morning? Why?)

I do. . . if I don't I will trip over tussled sheets and comforter plus they would acquire the distinct smell of dog by lunch.

My dog doesn't get on the bed but any thing that hits the floor from the bed is up for grabs including but not limited to bed sheets, pillows, clothes , comforter ect. . . .

lostranslation
10-20-07, 10:27 AM
meadd823,
That's a valid reason... I have dogs too, and would have the same problem, except I just shut the bedroom door so they can't go in there unless I let them. I do (mostly/sometimes?) throw the bedclothes in a heap so at least they are not on the floor. I trip over all the other stuff on the floor though....sigh.

KittenPoker
10-20-07, 10:30 AM
When we decorated the bedroom in March I began making the bed daily. It's nice to come home after a long workday and have a nice looking bedroom. Mr KP usually helps out so it takes all of 2 minutes. If we don't make the bed the cats get on it, tracking bits of litter into the sheets. Yuck!

Okay, so it took my almost 39 years to develop the habit!

I've been 85% successful in keeping the dishwasher cleaned out and loaded with dirty dishes. It was nice this morning. Normally the sink is piled to the gills with dirty, slimy dishes from Thursday/Friday. Not today. While I made pancakes I emptied the washer and reloaded. Right now the sink only has a cereal bowl and cup from the kid's breakfast. 30 seconds and it's ready to run again!

Ugh. Today is Scrub the Shower Day. I have a new shower liner to put up, a shower curtain to wash, and why do that if the shower stall is grody?

(I hope the bed doesn't sing its siren song...KP, come back to bed and watch "The Soup"!)

lostranslation
10-20-07, 10:46 AM
What really sucks for me is that I have to go to the office today and clean. I usually do this every Friday, but I didn't have a car yesterday. I hate cleaning that office. If I miss any little tiny thing, my boss or the office manager is sure to point it out. I check and check and re-check to make sure it's perfect every time, but there is always some elusive little dust bunny, or a speck on the carpet or the tiniest smudge somewhere.

KittenPoker
10-20-07, 11:16 AM
We got an email from the Higher-Up passing the word to "clean our cubicals." Mine is messy and yeah, I've lost stuff. But I do try to straighten it up on Fridays.

I went to deliver a FedEx package to a coworker's cube...holy mother of Maude was it a mess! There was not one single cleared space on the desktop. Suddenly I didn't feel so bad about the 2 boxes of dead cell phones tucked in my corner. I was disgusted to think that this person makes twice as much as me yet is a complete and utter slob.

meadd823
10-20-07, 04:18 PM
I was disgusted to think that this person makes twice as much as me yet is a complete and utter slob.

Goes to show ya that neatness and organization are only two specific abilities some have and others have not. One of the smartest doctors I ever worked with couldn't keep up with his stethoscope or prescription pad. I decided to clean just the top of his desk one time it took me hours to finally find the top. He was a very able doctor as far as medicine was concerned but he was a very ADD doctor which is why he hired nurses,office managers and receptionist.

Kimmy
10-21-07, 08:55 PM
"Have a really nice lunch with friend, who doesn't care that you look like crap, and already knew that you would be late.", said on page 1.

HALLEJUAH! This really made me LOL, because it is so true for me.

EYEFORGOT
10-21-07, 09:43 PM
It took me two "nice" shower curtains that I actually had to clean and reline for me to totally ditch the decor. I then bought inexpensive liners from Target. Nice design, put it up, when it's gross, remove and toss get new, pretty shower liner. It was my version of redecorating the bathroom every 4 to 6 months.

I've gotten better about dishes. Things are easier now that I've made longer chore lists for the kids. :P

My problem is paper. It's all well and good to tidy...I can tidy...but my paperwork is so far a horrible mess that there's no end in sight.

gridley
10-24-07, 10:10 PM
If I ever meet that Flylady in a dark alley....

:cool: Kidding.

I have signed up for the emails I think 4 times now. Never made it one single day unfortunately.

I can clean, but not organize. And I mean NOT organize!! But the problem is, when things are so unorganized and cluttered, cleaning is so difficult! And not even rewarding because so what if the next day, I walk around my lovely smelling clean kitchen and it takes me 40 minutes to find my cell and keys??

Cleaning is overrated lol.

Skully
10-24-07, 10:14 PM
Cool article, thanks for posting it. I certainly could use the help!!!

KittenPoker
10-25-07, 07:28 AM
It took me two "nice" shower curtains that I actually had to clean and reline for me to totally ditch the decor. I then bought inexpensive liners from Target. Nice design, put it up, when it's gross, remove and toss get new, pretty shower liner. It was my version of redecorating the bathroom every 4 to 6 months.
We must've gone to the same school of decorating!!! I have a decent spa-type shower curtain but once that liner is, well, discolored, out it goes. I have found that Arm and Hammer shower spray prolongs a good deep cleaning (which, IMO, is only accomplished by KABOOM!, that stuff Billy Mays hawks on TV). I spray the lower part of the liner, the bathtub, and the faucets.

I'm keeping up on the dishes, hurray! Last night I ran a load during homework time. Once dinner was done I emptied it and reloaded with the dinner dishes. All we need to do is load with kitty dishes and coffee cups and we're set. *Phew!*

NonSequitur
10-25-07, 11:25 AM
Cleaning is overrated lol.
My sentiments exactly.

I've been keeping up with the dishes too, mostly. There's only 2 of us, so there aren't too many, but it can seem like a lot when they pile up for a few days. I've let them pile up a bit now and then, but I decide to do that and don't worry about it. I'm trying to do pots and pans frequently too. Not that the kitchen is spotless, but it's better.

Don't even ask about the rest of the house. I'd prefer a shower curtain in the bathroom. I HATE cleaning shower doors, and they don't stay clean for long. Oh well.