View Full Version : Creative Writing / Any long writing

MattM
10-11-07, 10:14 PM
I need to know if anyone can relate. For any creative writing, I have tons of ideas to write about, but I cant concentrate on just one. When I go to write, I cant figure out what to write about first. So I get stuck. Even when I do figure it out, I cant seem to word it correctly. It feels like the english language is holding me back from expressing what I want to say. Its frustrating. Do any of you sorta know what I'm talking about? Because its always been like this for any semi-lengthy essay.

TeLL
10-12-07, 02:55 AM
I love writing creatively, although i hardly ever do it. its so hard to get that amazing idea on paper before something shiny distracts me. even then I ususally only scribble key words, but leaving out the most important aspects of it. I find when I work with others, say like talk to 1-2 firends about the idea, it flows out so much better. even if you dont write it down, it sticks in better.

if only I could record my mind as it thinks up thoes crazy ideas. so I would have the complete story

Paws13
10-12-07, 07:07 PM
I always mess up the essays on a test somehow because I can't get my thoughts on paper. I can draw diagrams fine, but put it in words! :eek:

ah09087
10-12-07, 08:03 PM
I feel the same way. Even though I was born in America I still feel like I have a language barrier. Having so many patrial ideas and no whole ideas also thwarts my sucess. It would also help if I could spell. lol

Fiction
12-23-07, 03:35 PM
I have an Uncle that is an English professor and has given me an excellent trick. Start free-writing. This is basically word vomit on the page. It does not have to be informative, interesting, or even coherent. The idea is just to get your pen moving. You must be writing the whole time. If you can't think of anything to write, just write: "I can't think of anything to write." If you think it is a dumb exercise, write about how dumb you think it is. Make a good healthy chunk of free writing in a one column. Then, move over, and go back over it--start looking at what you wrote and thinking about what you wrote. Start free-writing about the first column. Write about what you wrote. Expand and elaborate on the most interesting things you find. Keep doing that again and again. Eventually your thoughts and ideas will be refined, and you will be able to go over it a final time and sort it all out into a coherent and well organized essay.

Revz
01-01-08, 03:05 AM
I need to know if anyone can relate. For any creative writing, I have tons of ideas to write about, but I cant concentrate on just one. When I go to write, I cant figure out what to write about first. So I get stuck. Even when I do figure it out, I cant seem to word it correctly. It feels like the english language is holding me back from expressing what I want to say. Its frustrating. Do any of you sorta know what I'm talking about? Because its always been like this for any semi-lengthy essay.

Of course I do!, I'm a writer now and I also write poetry. I guess thanks to my meds and a few other Self medicating things like energy drinks, I was able to focus enough to get my brilliant ideas on paper in a logical form. If you are not on meds; try drinking energy drinks. Also a study of the english dictionary and the many words to describe one thing can also help a ton.