View Full Version : Anybody Ever Get the Flour Sack Project?

Paws13
10-12-07, 06:26 PM
Today in psychology, our teacher gave us the assignment to buy a 5 lb flour sack. We have to dress it, name it (and pick the gender), and extra credit if we dress it up for all the days of spirit week. We also have to keep a log of what it was like for the day carrying it around everywhere (including in school :eek: ) Luckily we're doing this single-parenting style.

I'm not sure I'll be a very good mother since I'm so ADD :p Anybody else have experiances from one "parent" to another?

VisualImagery
10-12-07, 07:10 PM
I did rice babies with my kids-the flour makes huge messes when the babies are abused. Can you use duct tape? And only one day? Mine did it for a week, at school only.....It was a great project! Kids loved it!

Paws13
10-12-07, 07:24 PM
For clarification, we have to treat it like a real baby- the flour has to stay in the sack, we have to treat it like a real baby, etc. She suggested we use a blanket or something o.O We also keep it until next Friday, not just one day. That would be too easy! :p Psychology is last period, so we have to carry it around all day. She grades us on the condition of the "baby" each day, so we can't stuff it in our backpacks. Darn it!

VisualImagery
10-12-07, 07:31 PM
Can you cover the flour bag with duct tape? That makes is unbreakable...:D

Go overboard on dressing it, name it, and play baby games with it-if ya have to do it, overdo it-is way fun!!! Have it wave and say ga ga to people...etc.....Make a baby carrier or borrow from someone....clothing will protect the bag quite a bit-pantyhose layers will give it natural color-and protect it....shhhhh, I didn't tell you. Oh, you have to make it cry in psych class........then bottle feed it and burp it.....

ps I teach hs and would prob give student exc for extra effort.....

do you have a small backpack you could wear backwards like a baby carrier-small one-or use a medical sling and stitch up the sides or try a pumpkin seat! Where there is a will, there is madness....

Matt S.
10-13-07, 11:12 AM
When I did that in school it was a hard boiled egg

livinginchaos
10-13-07, 02:19 PM
i never did that in school . . . not sure if it sounds boring or slightly interesting to me.

boone1
10-14-07, 12:11 PM
lol I didn't think schools actually did that I thought it was just like something you see on TV shows. At my school we had electric dolls that you can look after but they only had like 2 and nobody even used them.

Skully
10-20-07, 12:08 AM
Ugh, I remember a similiar project. Only we had to do it with eggs!!! Try dressing any egg, boy was that hard.

hollyduck
10-20-07, 08:33 AM
We never did that (school is waaayyyy back for me) but does your teacher also talk about thinking about the child as a future adult, the need for respect and attention, and also real talk, not just goo-goo gahh-gahh?

I used to babysit for a child whose parents gave him less person-al attention than their cat. They never talked to him and didn't hold him much either. Their idea of a "hot meal" was KD at the kitchen table before they went out to drink and dance at night. His social skills (at age 4) were very stunted, and verbal skills almost absent.

That was 20 years ago and I still think about him and ache for what probably happened in his life.

TygerSan
10-29-07, 09:56 AM
:p We had to do this in 10th grade health. But for some unknown reason, we were to carry a hard-boiled egg around everywhere with us (much, much easier to loose, and not at all the same thing as carrying around an 8 lb sack of anything).

I put mine in a doll crib in a fanny pack (really fashionable, I know). Left the *#& at the teacher's desk in band class one day, and had a friend of mine discretely give it back to me, asking me if I thought I was an unfit mother. . . I believe the real things cry, don't they?

There was another esteemed member of our class who decided that taking his egg into a mosh pit was a good idea. Yet another painted *his* black and blue after accidently dropping it. It was definitely an interesting week.

finallyme
11-04-07, 01:04 AM
Oh god do I.
I went to a private prep high school (one of those ones with like.. $12,000+ a year tuition) for a few years, and in my Life Management class, not only did we do that project, but we had a computerize baby. Not even ****ing kidding. This thing would go off at random, even in the middle of the night, crying recorded cries through an INCREDIBLY loud speaker. We had to have it for 3 days, and keep it with us during school. Also, it had a little plastic neck on a hinge, and if that swung back, we got 10 points off for neglective parenting. Also, when it cried in the middle of the night, you had to figure out what it wanted, whether it be food (press a little robot baby bottle to its mouth and hold it there for 1-20 minutes), diaper change (had two different diapers, each with a little robot sensor, so it knew which was which. Also, if you dropped its head back (as mentioned a minute ago), it would go into like.. hysterical crying mode, and the only way to get it to stop was to rock it back and forth for about 10 minutes. It woke me up at 3 and 5 in the morning on school days, so thusly i was like.. out of it during the day, and failed two tests because of it.