View Full Version : Connecting ADD type and LDs

mrsmith
10-13-07, 05:02 PM
Looking about of information seeing LDs and ADD types in connection.
(HOW different LDs correlates with ADD type (For example dr Amens ADD types)

ah09087
10-14-07, 04:13 PM
I don't know that this is the best place to get that information. I'm pretty sure there are very few if any doctors around here. You probably should talk to a proffesional

speedo
10-14-07, 05:06 PM
By"learning disorder" I am assuming that you mean learning disorder as described in the DSM IV .

Unfortunately a lot of nonprofessionals use the term "learning disorder" to apply to ADHD and a host of other things that don't fit under the DSM IV description of a learning disorder, and at that point it is hard to say anything coherent about it.

Thngs like dysgraphia, dyscalcula, dyslexia and nonverbal learning disorder DO fall under the DSM IV definitions for learning disorders and I guess that you are talking about those.

In all honesty I am not sure where you would start to find out if there is a correlation between ADHD subtype and learning disorders.

ME :D

Crazy~Feet
10-14-07, 06:01 PM
In all honesty I am not sure where you would start to find out if there is a correlation between ADHD subtype and learning disorders.
I agree with Speedo. I know people of all the currently recognized sub-types of AD/HD (as listed in the DSM-IV-R, that is, I do not truck with Dr Amen's typing) and of the ones that have further LDs, I cannot see any correlation at all between type and LD, personally. I cannot imagine where you might find such information, either, because I honestly don't think there is any correlation between AD/HD type and other possible LDs.

meadd823
10-17-07, 05:37 AM
(HOW different LDs correlates with ADD type (For example dr Amens ADD types

Hmm Dr Amen's site maybe??? He is the only one I know of that uses the six or is it seven ADD subtypes. I am ADHD - meaning ADD with hyperactivity and I have dyslexia. I have a daughter who is combined ADD who also has the same type of dyslexia but hers isn't as bad.