View Full Version : SuperChan -in Bothell,WA

SuperChan
10-15-07, 03:13 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading a few other's intro posts and I'm noticing that most people who are posting, are posting about adult ADD/ADHD. I'm here becuse my 4 1/2 year old son is being formally evaluated on Thursday for a Diagnosis of ADD, ODD, and OCD. I am very nervous as to what all of this means. My biggest fear is that while the medication will make it more possible for him to focus and help correct his behavioral problems, he will lose his outgoing fun personality. If anyone else here has experienced raising a preshooler with ADD/ADHD, I would love your tips and experiences. It has been a long six months trying to get people to see that it is not normal 4 year-old behavior. The first person I saw was a neurologist who told me he was a physically sound boy, but a convict in the making with behavioral disorders. My next route was to take my son to a counselor. At first she thought he was a normal boy with behavioral disorders, but then realized there was more. She sent me to the school district to have him evaluated for Sensory integration problems. The school district came back and said they can't evaluate for that, so I would have to have them evaluated for basic deficiencies. On our first meeting with the school district they assumed that he wouldn't qualify for help since he was calmly playing; however the room was very quiet with not a lot going on, so he was fine. I insisted that he have a second evaluation, so they let us. In that meeting they were very surprised. He finally was the kid he is on a normal basis, and it was because they started getting "the room excited" so to speak. Once they saw my "true" son, they became very concerened. I'm glad that they finally noticed, but now I am afraid that they may use an ADD diagnosis to cover a bigger problem.

Sorry for the long winded story, but in short like I said earlier, I'm nervous about what all this means. So please any help would be appriciated. Thanks everyone for listening, and I look forward to getting to know you.

Matt S.
10-15-07, 03:18 PM
Welcome to ADDforums, there are a lot of other parents in the same position as you on this site and they are there for a tremendous amount of support.

justhope
10-15-07, 04:44 PM
Welcome SuperChan...

There are folks who are here for thier children...even teachers here for thiers...most of the time a lot of parents find out that they are ADD too, when their children are diagnosed...since ummm they had to get it from someone? So they need a place too, especially since society as a whole still thinks ADD is only a childhood disease that goes away...NOT!
You will find plenty of stuff here for children with ADD, without ADD and with ADD and all kinds of other stuff...just gotta dig..

So here are some links to help if you haven't found them yet!
Their are many co-morbid bearer's around here...so you should get some insight. I happen to be one. I am BPII & ADD.

I have 3 son's. All of them have ADD/ADHD one who had ADD/ODD & BPII....

http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Parents section, not everyone posting in here are posting just about ADD kids...

http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=302
Education section, might help get you a jump on things to come.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51
Co-existing

Co-exisiting has a lot of info on all the fun co-morbids that go along with ADD..there are topic on children in there...

If you need anything let myself or any of the Mods know!

and again, Welcome !

Hope :)

Skully
10-15-07, 08:48 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!