View Full Version : Can i take Aderall if I have had seizures before?

cyberspacestar
10-16-07, 10:07 AM
I am currently on a very low dose of Ritilain. I started it yesterday. I didn't tell my doctor I have had seizures in the past. I had a partial seizure yesterday....which is called an 'Aura'...an awakened partial seizure. i don't know if it was the Ritilian or not because it's a really low doseage.

I am going back to the doctor Friday to increase the Ritilain dosage but I may ask him to change the Ritilain to Aderall. I HAVE to tell him I've had a history of seizures. I am afraid he is not going to perscribe me ADD meds because of this and I have a training course in 2 weeks and need ADD meds to concentrate!

Can you take Aderall with anti-convulsant medication? Is it okay to take Aderall if you have a history of seizures???
cyberspacestar

nicky818
10-16-07, 07:25 PM
My son is currently taking Adderral 10mg as well as Tegretol for seizures (he's 5). His neur. was completely aware of the seizures as he prescribed the Tegretol as well. I had the same concerns about giving him stimulant meds and having seizures (the stimulants apparently up the threshold of possibly having a seizure) but my son's dr has assured me it's not a problem. Let me know what he says. Good luck.

FrazzleDazzle
10-16-07, 10:40 PM
My son was on 10 mg of Adderall, which was enough to start him into absence seizures. What makes me concerned is that you had a seizure the day you started on the ritilin. The stims are knows for lowering the threshold for seizures, so you doctor needs to know, so that you can be given the best med or combo of meds considering everything. There are other meds and comobs that can be used, so don't be anxious about talking with your doctor about it; there are definitely other options. One of the options for my son would have been wellbutrin, or another antidepressant, which his doc said is often used in adult ADHD. (he's 14 now.)

Best of luck with it! :-)

cyberspacestar
10-17-07, 10:19 AM
Thanks for your responses... OK.. so you CAN mix Adderall with Tegratol!! okay good.

I am so apprehensive about telling my doctor about the seziures because I do NOT want him taking me off the stimulants... I've tried Straterra and Wellbutrin which don't work for me.

I was hoping you could mix the two drugs.

I've had two grand mals and several awakened partial seizures which they call auras...

Also, if you have had seizures in the past... does that AUTOMATICALLY make you an Eplileptic???

Swede63
10-17-07, 11:55 AM
Hi cyberspacestar I'll try to answer a few questions. first off I have had epilepsy for the past 25 yrs. Your doctor may not be an expert or even knowledgeable about seizures but you need to let him know. Aside from that he should know that many seizure patients also have ADD and can be safely treated with ADD meds. My neurologist who I have been seeing for over 10 yrs is the chief neurologist at a major hospital in Boston informs me that ADD meds are safe to use with seizure patients. I don't what kind of seizures you have but as long as they are well controlled you should be able to take just about any med including Adderall. Are you seeing a neurologist? If you are still having seizures you may need to look at doses or other seizure meds. that will help you. I doubt the Ritilan caused you seizure.

In response to your last question, seizures are a symptom of epilepsy. There are other reasons why a person might have a seizure, a high fever or a brain injury can cause a single or several seizures. Epilepsy is the actual condition that affects the brains delicate system and how electrical energy and nerve cells behaves in the brain. It doesn't matter what term you use. Some people choose to use the word seizure disorder.

Talk to your doctor. If he is a caring competent professional he will understand and be able to work with you, if not find another doctor immediately.

Good luck and keep us posted, and you can send me a pm my anytime.

cyberspacestar
10-17-07, 12:33 PM
Thanks for writing swede63. I had my first grand-mal 5 years ago at the age of 30. I was smoking alot of weed back then. After that, i began getting those dejavu auras which are partial seizures I was told. I had concentration problems as a kid but had my first seizure only 5 years ago. I don't know if smoking weed everyday caused my seizures! Now I'm drug and alchohol free for a year thanks to AA/NA.

Thank you for telling me the ritilan and adderall are safe to take with seizure meds. I actually told the doctor i didn't have seizures because I didn't want him putting me on a non-stimulant medication like straterra or wellbutrin that DOES NOT work...for me. But friday I'll tell him I have had a seizure and HE BETTER NOT TELL ME I HAVE TO STOP RITILAN!! I just had another 'aura' the other day.

I'm just very bummed out today because I've had about 2 grand mal seizures and plenty of auras....and i can't accept I MAY be epileptic!! But adult onset epileptic... But i"ve always had concentration problems as a child.

I'm also bummed because unemployment is sending me to training on the 29th and I'm afraid I won't pick things up quickly and not pass!! just like the other technical school i went to I had to cheat my way through to get a certificate...and of course I didn't get a job after that. I have not worked in over 10 years, ended up homeless or relying on men to take care of me just as I am doing today. Now i have to go to school again and i'm nervous I will not succeed because of my past experiences with poor memory and concentration. i feel slow to pick things up.

Just feel very depressed because I'm 35, epileptic, ADD, bipolar, unemployed, lazy, unmotivated, co-dependant and feel kinda dumb.

Swede63
10-17-07, 01:47 PM
It's very brave of you to be so honest. There's a lot of that around here which is very good and you will find people who understand and/or may be in the same position. I hear that there is quite a lot of support over at the Bi-Polar section also.

You may have been having auras or little memory lapses along with ADD during your childhood that manifested into full blown seizures as an adult. Women often start having seizures around puberty and then anywhere between 30 and up when your chemistry starts to change.

Anyway aside form the seizures I have anxiety some bouts with depression and ADD PI. I take Lamictal and I see a neurologist (a must in my book) and like you it's a lot to have to go through.

Good Luck and keep in touch if you like. Let us know how it goes so we can give you a big CHEER!!

Charl

Nocturnal
10-19-07, 01:02 PM
Hopefully this will make you feel better but there are a lot of people with many conditions here on this forum. I personally have high blood pressure, OCD and ADD. So don't feel so bad. Just feel better about yourself that you're not as bad as the next and you're still alive! I know how hard that can be sometimes but you can do it. If I can, so can you.

Oh yeah I'm also lazy, unmotivated and yeah. I know this is bad but I have many W grades on my transcripts. I'll have a hard time, if I even make it to the point of trying to enter an actual university. I'm just doing comm college stuff now.

I had to withdraw from a class due to my laziness/ADD/unmotivation/bad memory as well.

So please, don't feel so bad!

QueensU_girl
10-19-07, 01:05 PM
re #1

Why are you hiding your Seizure History from your Doctor?

I think this is a dangerous game. *shrug*

QueensU_girl
10-19-07, 01:05 PM
delete this please

QueensU_girl
10-19-07, 01:10 PM
You mention having "concentration problems" and being "lazy".

Sounds like you need some education on the effects of Epilepsy. E.G. Postictal and EF symptoms.

NB -Have you had EEGs and ADD/LD Testing?

antimony
10-24-07, 11:50 AM
Thanks for writing swede63. I had my first grand-mal 5 years ago at the age of 30. I was smoking alot of weed back then. After that, i began getting those dejavu auras which are partial seizures I was told. I had concentration problems as a kid but had my first seizure only 5 years ago. I don't know if smoking weed everyday caused my seizures! Now I'm drug and alchohol free for a year thanks to AA/NA.

Thank you for telling me the ritilan and adderall are safe to take with seizure meds. I actually told the doctor i didn't have seizures because I didn't want him putting me on a non-stimulant medication like straterra or wellbutrin that DOES NOT work...for me. But friday I'll tell him I have had a seizure and HE BETTER NOT TELL ME I HAVE TO STOP RITILAN!! I just had another 'aura' the other day.

I'm just very bummed out today because I've had about 2 grand mal seizures and plenty of auras....and i can't accept I MAY be epileptic!! But adult onset epileptic... But i"ve always had concentration problems as a child.

I'm also bummed because unemployment is sending me to training on the 29th and I'm afraid I won't pick things up quickly and not pass!! just like the other technical school i went to I had to cheat my way through to get a certificate...and of course I didn't get a job after that. I have not worked in over 10 years, ended up homeless or relying on men to take care of me just as I am doing today. Now i have to go to school again and i'm nervous I will not succeed because of my past experiences with poor memory and concentration. i feel slow to pick things up.

Just feel very depressed because I'm 35, epileptic, ADD, bipolar, unemployed, lazy, unmotivated, co-dependant and feel kinda dumb.
I feel your pain Cyber..I hope you feel better , Life will get better. Have you applied for SS benefits?

Swede63
10-24-07, 12:19 PM
so how is it going cyber? Did you talk to your doctor?

Skully
10-24-07, 03:22 PM
It is possible to take an add med and a seizure med at the same time. ALWAYS be honest with your doctor! It is very important that he know of the seizure disorder. By not telling him, you could end up doing more damage to yourself.

D.B. Cooper
10-24-07, 04:57 PM
Benzos will impact the potency of stimulants but theres no reason that you cant take them together.