View Full Version : two hour episodes

Matt S.
10-17-07, 03:12 PM
maybe I am just an ultra cycler now or something, but I have been cycling like I did as a kid lately (2 hour episodes) and it is a big tease, I notice that it happens on and off with me but I find it annoying, and this post is more geared toward parents of Bipolar children because I think it's the age of onset that gives me these

MICRO CYCLES

I woke up today wanting to die,

Yesterday I was manic for two hours

Right now I am angry again

It feels like my brain is turning against me for some reason, I have been stress free following med schedules and routines to a "T".

I think it's connected to my OCD because I havent been able to do my song thing so I don't know.

PARENTS, now that childhood bipolar is more known and treatable, as opposed to 1988 Manic Depressive Illness years

Are there things you do with your children to somehow manage these rapid cycles? I need tips because I have to do all of these appointments and yadayada and I have to sell things to people and can't have my moods going hog-wild or else I will just be a loser back on SSI, trapped inside my rituals

Thanks

QueensU_girl
10-17-07, 03:22 PM
What about external things in your (a) environment, (b) interactions, (c) schedule/outside demands.

Do you notice any external things that "set you up" to be changing?

I ask this b/c I understand that stress is a wildcard factor in destabilising people.

Matt S.
10-17-07, 03:25 PM
A higher demand job because I chose to get to greedy and now have people calling me to sell them things that their friends bought (cutlery) so now I have to meet other people's needs when I used to isolate my week's work into two days, more money, more hassle.

Spongedaddy
10-17-07, 03:29 PM
Do you have anything that is an automatic positive distraction? Maybe if you can catch it early in the cycle and go right to the positive distraction you can create some space. I have found that if I can create space at the very beginning it disrupts the cycle in a good way. I can't always do it, I am looking at you today, but it has been helpful at times.

Crazy~Feet
10-17-07, 04:13 PM
My honest reply:

I am afraid I was not very helpful to Space during the pediatric stage of her bipolar :(...I was still struggling to find stability myself, and I have to admit that she and I bounced off each other like pinballs.

Space did not manifest much in the way of depression, either, other than periods of "Mom, I am soooooo tired!" and then a period of too much sleep. She mostly manifested a LOT of mania as irritability, oversensitivity (or maybe very mild paranoia?) and pressured speech.

Perhaps you have missed my previous posts about Space's hypomanic pressured speech, but I will never forget that experience as long as I live. My ears begged for mercy. She spoke into the air if nobody was listening to her. She talked and talked and talked and talked and talked :faint: and SHE KNEW IT. Once when asked for umpteenth time to PLEASE give us just a couple of minutes' peace, she said:

"I can't do it, I can't. Mom, I can't stop talking! What's wrong with me?!".

Poor kid. :( That of course made me feel like #1 Bad Mom of the Year, and I got all weepy...she just continued to talk, talk, talk. There was no distraction on Earth I was able to think of that would interrupt that cycle, the best option I ever came up with was to have her call a friend so that there was somebody who was willing to listen. That way the rest of us did not get so annoyed with her and make her feel any worse, and spared her any more humiliation over something she was unable to control.

I doubt she will come in and discuss that period in her life. She likes to come in and show the forums her quirky personality and the positive side of her life. She's a great kid, very loving, and I am sure that she would have a big hug for you. That's how she is, you know. She cares a lot about what the people here go through, although she does not let on. I suspect that though she does not care to discuss it? She just might be storing up information that might be useful later on down the line in her own life.

I'll ask her, but don't be disappointed if she does not come in. I practically had to drag her to the chair to reply to Hope about Neurontin :rolleyes:.

Skully
10-17-07, 07:47 PM
Very good question since I suffer the same thing. I will cycle several times in one day and not know why. There doesn't seem to be any exact triggers. I work in mental health and stress levels can get high, but not that bad. Hopefully someone can answer!

Spongedaddy
10-17-07, 08:25 PM
Very good question since I suffer the same thing. I will cycle several times in one day and not know why. There doesn't seem to be any exact triggers. I work in mental health and stress levels can get high, but not that bad. Hopefully someone can answer!
I do the same. The thing is I don't think it takes a heavy trigger to set us off, such is the condition. I know for me even the simplest things can be a trigger and of course stress can set things off the chain. The only thing that helps me is if I catch it early enough to create space...otherwise...I'm a puppet dancing on the strings..

Matt S.
10-18-07, 11:07 AM
Pressured speech can drive a person insane KZ, I have had bipolar friends that I avoided like the plague when they were manic because I would almost go nuts. As far as the cycle stuff, it must've been a flare up, I had calls today but you know what F*** it, it is my birthday and I can sell these people knives tomorrow, a couple tried pushing me into doing the demo's for them today but I told them it is my birthday and they let up...

justhope
10-18-07, 06:27 PM
Geez...I wish I had some great advice here buddy.

I hate rapid cycling...but ummm that has been me most of my life...tend to have more cycles in one day then a constant one....well until meds. I still do it more often than staying in one, if that makes sense?

I am accutely aware of what I am doing. When I am in mania, I find soemthing to do that is NOT going to get me in trouble. Often that means I stay away from here....umm cause I say stuff I regret....sound famillar?
I am fine on my floor at work, here I think the aggression is more centralized so I write things sarcastically and a little more off colored...but at work I take the happy chatty moments and visit with folks on the floor, and take the time to organize my desk...stupid stuff like that....

When I hit the angry/depressed side, I take time for me because I know I am gonna blow. Sometimes at work I send messages I am off line for a project...and that lets me have some time away from folks bugging me every 5 minutes...and at home....I write, listen to music or read...

With my son....I always knew his cycles, they were often in tune with mine...which sucked for us both. I often encouraged him to do the same things I did, which is mood appropriate activities or downtime. Sometimes he did it, sometimes he didn't. When he didn't chaos often followed. Most of you know what happened there.

I guess the biggest thing I can say is since you are now aware of your cycles, to learn to redirect yourself. Which sounds like you did today.
Perhaps limiting the amount of folks you have to talk to , or answer to, staying within your comfort zones when you are cycling....

Redirection....:eyebrow:

Matt S.
10-19-07, 10:09 AM
well it is another day and no cycles, except the old ball and chain OCD one but doing better, have a lot of work, holidays are the times that the snobs want products, yippee yay *don's a sarcastic smile*

justhope
10-19-07, 10:49 AM
That is great! No cycles...wahoo..I am pretty "normal" today too.

I was worried I would get hit by one...changing between schedules unexpectedly..but so far so good. It's Friday which is always nice.

Matt S.
10-19-07, 03:57 PM
I hope for it sometimes, the high anyhow...

Crazy~Feet
10-19-07, 04:14 PM
I hope for it sometimes, the high anyhow...I understand that feeling, Matt. I don't miss the elation so much (probably because I have progressed beyond being elated very often anymore), but I miss how much I could get done and the lessened need for sleep.

Now, if only it wasn't madness! :faint:

Matt S.
10-19-07, 04:18 PM
Ditto KZ

I understand that feeling, Matt. I don't miss the elation so much (probably because I have progressed beyond being elated very often anymore), but I miss how much I could get done and the lessened need for sleep.

Now, if only it wasn't madness! :faint: