View Full Version : LD's and my son (kinda long)

nicky818
10-17-07, 06:30 PM
I have a 5 year old who just started Kinder. He's also taking adderall 10mg for ADHD for about a week now (that is also causing anxiety when he's coming off). I had a conference today with his teacher and it was very disheartening. She feels there's "something not quite right" about him. He's not progressing. He'll get a project and start it immediately without waiting for direction and is very sloppy. His teacher thinks there might be probs with fine motor skills and she says he's rather compulsive about certain things (I notice that at home as well, esp since starting the med).

I've tried helping with homework (simple stuff like tracing and writing 0's and 1's) and he tells me he can't do it. I'm going crazy trying to help him. I know he has some type of LD but I don't know. Luckily, he has a great teacher who is already starting the eval process with a occupational therapist, resource spec, etc. He's already taking speech. Any thoughts? I'm trying so hard to get him the help he needs but don't know what else to do.

He's barely been taking the meds for about a month and I'm pretty sure the adderall is not the one for him since he has severe anxieity when coming off it. Any suggestions on which med to try next? Thanks for listening.

playhero
12-07-07, 04:02 AM
You clearly care alot about your son and I am sure you will get him the help he needs. That being said you need to rember you kid is 5. Some kids are just late bloomers, I myself couldn't read jack untill I was in 4th grade but after allways scored in the 90th % of the population on reading comprehention. I'd really take him off any sort of medication untell he is older an given more time to develope. Unless their is clearly is a serious problem, like not being able to walk without falling or somthing of the sort.

TygerSan
12-07-07, 12:32 PM
I was diagnosed with an LD in kindergarten; I forget what the exact title was, but it was basically visuo-motor processing/integration. I had trouble telling left from right, had fine motor difficulties, and some attentional problem.

Sometimes non-verbal learning disorders can overlap with ADHD symptoms (NLD kids are actually very verbally oriented, but have trouble with non-verbal stuff like visualization). A good site for information is http://www.nldontheweb.org

It also sounds like things might be compounded by medication that is not ideal for your son. Is it possible that you're trying to do work when the meds are wearing off, so he's in rebound? There was always a period of around an hour or so after the meds wore off where I was absolutely useless and quite irritable (even worse than my pre-medication baseline).

QueensU_girl
12-07-07, 01:29 PM
Graphomotor problems? (There are about 5 parts where a kid can have motor 'breakdown' when it comes to writing.)

Has he been "tested"?

Grab a copy of Dr. Mel Levine's book "The Myth of Laziness" from your Public Library. It clearly explains all the motor input that is needed for kids to do basic writing! (And the problems that can impair their 'output'.)

It might even have your kid's picture. ;)

Tiddlywinks
12-07-07, 03:09 PM
As a special ed teacher, our system typically "watches" children under the age of 8 before evaluating them for LD. We do this because all the senses are still in the development stage, and all children can appear to have LD symptoms. Not to discredit you, you are his mother and must follow your instincts for the needs of your child. I also agree that you should revisit your doctor and tell him your concerns about the Adderall.
A trick to help his fine motor skills: use larger pencils, or wrap something around the pencil / crayon to increase it's surface area, and he will be able to get a better grip.

SuperChan
12-07-07, 03:45 PM
I would talk to the doctor about the Aderall, your right it may not be the right one for him.

Also, Playhero is very correct; you are a wonderful mother. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, regardless of what they think of your choices when raising your son. My son is 4 1/2 years old and he is ADHD with Austism (recently diagnosed), however he is classified higgh-functioning. His symptoms of his disabilities indicated that something was wrong but you couldn't quite place your finger on it. Once his hyperactivity was calmed (by Vyvanse), you could really tell that he was having difficulty with multiple senses. You can tell that he has difficulty especially when the environment is too energized. I made the choice to help him with these disabilities with medication, and have received some flack, but I know in my heart it is the best for him.

Everyone kept telling me that my son was just a normal boy and that every child develops at a different rate. Even when I was pointing out obvious signs that it was more, they would say "well that is just a scale." The scale I'm talking about is the major milestones children should be hitting if they are developing normally. I was being brushed off because he seemed to be "functioning" well in social aspects. No one started listening until he got into classrooms with more children and his problems became magnified.

While children are still developing senses, sometimes, but not always, there is a glaring in your face quality about sensory or learning disabilities. And you should always follow what your instinct is telling you to do. If his teacher is indicating to you that there might be more than an attention problem, it never hurts to have the evaluations. At that point you can decide if you want to do medications or therapies, or if it is just normal development.

Sorry my response is so long. I really feel for you and would love to talk to you. I know what it is like to feel like you are crazy everytime you try to teach your child. I wish you the best. Keep us posted.

nicky818
04-20-08, 12:03 AM
Thanks for all your responses and sorry it's taken so long in my responding (I often wonder if I'm not ADD!). Anyway, we have recently switched my son to Focalin XR (5mg) from the Adderall and have seen a HUGE improvement. The teacher is always coming to me with little details on how he's progressing so it is such a blessing. They wanted him to do summer school since he is still below grade level but his teacher actually recommended a lady whom he works with everyday as a tutor for the summer (and even she has seen a huge difference in him) so he'll still get the one-on-one attention he gets now.

I've also started giving him pharm grade fish oil (for about 2 weeks) and today I didn't give him his med (I try to give him weekend off if nothing's going on) and he's acted, almost:), like when he's on the med.

Thanks again for all your support - these forums are a Godsend. Good luck to you all.