View Full Version : Question about a Personality Disorder

spinningmind
10-19-07, 02:21 PM
Well, the good news is that my pdoc has decided I'm not bipolar after all. Check my old post in the bipolar forum and you'll know what I am talking about. However, now I have a diagnosis of personality disorder with borderline features. First of all, is this the same thing as BPD or not? Secondly, is it at all possible for me to have this? I have NEVER had any suicidal threats or self injury behavior. I have never really thought of myself as having abandonment issues either. I just feel like I am forever getting diagnosis just thrown at me.

Matt S.
10-19-07, 03:55 PM
Well stay open to the feedback and check into the possibility of DBT, borderline or not it may help you a lot, when it is hard to pinpoint a particular diagnosis, doctors often go with a Borderline Personality, PD with borderline features doesn't exactly mean BPD either, but mindfulness may help improve the emotional dysregulation.

spinningmind
10-19-07, 08:54 PM
If PD with borderline features doesn't mean BPD what does it mean? I probably won't check into DBT b/c I can barely afford my ADHD meds let alone a therapy for something I might not even have. Thanks for your help though.

QueensU_girl
10-19-07, 09:08 PM
It means Personality Disorder NOS, perhaps?

Borderline traits means trauma symptoms, usually.

QueensU_girl
10-19-07, 09:09 PM
I assume you are female?

Borderline is a way abused Dx, if you ask me.

A person can have self injury, addictions, interpersonal problems and mood issues and still not be borderline.

QueensU_girl
10-19-07, 09:12 PM
For example: the above person could have PTSD or Complex PTSD. Or other things.

QueensU_girl
10-19-07, 09:23 PM
I would question the label. (Especially as a feminist. It is a LABEL that can be abused by patriarchy.)

Abandonment is a CORE feature of Borderline. So are episodes of Manipulation and Rage (although those may be somewhat dissociative episodes (altered ego state; diminished awareness/conciousness) and the person might not remember them; they are more like a 'Rage Seizure').

People with it tend to swing between extremes of aggression and passivity/victimization.

Extreme mood reactivity. (affect dysregulation; overactivation of emotion that is inappropriate to the situation; slow ability returning to 'baseline', or slow/unable to calm themselves down.)

Do you have any friends? Most borderline people do NOT have any real friends. There is a history of chronically 'fractured' relationships and friendships.
(People don't trust them; Don't know if they're gonna get yelled at or hugged; Ditch them due to the emotional chaos.)

-Do you report feeling "empty" inside?

-Impulsivity is reported as a sign too, iirc. (Other things can cause that though.)

Do you have a normal emotional life? Most borderline sufferers have a narrowed emotional range: "****ed off" and "not ****ed off", for example. (extreme limbic irritability)

There are 'high functioning' borderline people out there (doctors, lawyers, etc), but it is hard for them to keep up the momentum w/o turbulence showing up sooner or later.

QueensU_girl
10-19-07, 09:35 PM
I just looked something up: NOS is the biggest category of the PDs, actually. LOL

spinningmind
10-19-07, 09:51 PM
Thanks QueensU_girl, I feel better knowing that you too would question the diagnosis. My doctor is way too diagnosis happy, if you ask me. Just a few months ago, my doctor thought I had bipolar-nos, anxiety disorder and ocd. Now, my doctor says I don't have these things but I have the personality disorder w/ borderline features. How many diagnosis do I have to go through?

To answer your questions, yes I am a female. Yes, I do have close friends but not too many. But the ones I do have I am really close to. I don't feel "empty" but I am easily bored. I don't have abandonment issues. I am easily frustrated and get angry easily. But I think that is more of an anger management problem. I can get angry just because an appliance isn't working. It isn't just because of a relationship.