View Full Version : Why am I still awake??????????

klg117
10-22-07, 05:03 AM
The title pretty much says it all.......and now it's too late to take my sleep meds....CRAP CRAP CRAP.

~boots~
10-22-07, 09:24 AM
I hate that when we can't sleep..I have some great solutions though..
you know you won't sleep...get up and do something you enjoy :-) I go out taking photos, but that's not for everyone..maybe you could read a book, or watch a movie..

while you are in the *I can't sleep zone* I find nothing you do will help, so just enjoy the quiet time..
you'll be fine the next day, as long as it doesn't happen more then a week or 2 in a row..then seek more help

Swede63
10-22-07, 09:35 AM
I've been trying to solve my problem with sleeping. In my case I can't fall asleep. Sometimes it can go on for hours and a few trimes until dawn:( My anxiety went through the roof. Reading does help. They say excersize is the key to getting a better nights sleep (something I loathe to do) There are some good books out there for sleep problems (you can read them at night!:D ) One is put out by the Harvard Medical School, that's a good one.
Good luck, I hope you have a good nights sleep tonight.

Swede63
10-22-07, 09:37 AM
If you do read that book it gives you information about the different types of sleep problems.

klg117
10-22-07, 11:24 AM
have any of you guys taken trazodone? it helps me fall asleep but lately i have not been able to sleep more than 3 hours even when i take it. it's miserable b/c adderall helps me so much but it sometimes keeps me up all night.

Skully
10-22-07, 10:30 PM
Ugh, I do the same thing all the time. I don't take my sleeping meds early enough. I lose track of time and don't take them. Same goes for tonight, it is now 10:30p and I can't take the seroquel because I have to be up at 5am! I think we need timers to go off earlier to remind us to take our meds LOL.

Swede63
10-22-07, 10:44 PM
I've been taking a tiny dose (.5mg) of Adivan at bedtime. It's for anxiety but it works well for sleep. I don't have any problem in the morning it's not like sleeping meds. where you need to make sure you have at least 8 hrs. sleep ahead of you.

D.B. Cooper
10-22-07, 11:47 PM
Melatonin works for me most of the time. But if i must absolutely knock myself out than remeron works like nothing else. Sort of like taking 100 benadryl at once.

ozchris
10-23-07, 12:45 AM
I used to have trouble going to sleep. Stimulants definitely don't help so try taking your last dose of meds for the day as early as you can. Stay away from coffee.

Falling asleep is like catching a wave. When you feel sleepy go straight to bed and don't delay it or you'll miss the 'wave'. Never try going to sleep when you feel wide awake, as it just makes things much worse.

Exercise in the evening can help lots! Tire yourself out as much as possible a few hours before bed and it should help you out. Anyone with depression and anxiety should be doing heavy exercise for 45 mins. 4 days a week anyway, it's even been shown to be more effective than some meds! Your diet can effect your sleep too.

I know some of these things are annoying but it's worth it in the end because you'll feel much much better :)

klg117
10-23-07, 01:43 AM
thanks for everyone's advice!! i'm glad to see i'm not alone! :)

blueyeyore
10-23-07, 10:36 AM
Your definately not alone. Before I was put on medicine I could sleep 10-12 hours a night and was very upset if I didn't get all my sleep, but I'm satisfied if I get 5 hours of sleep in a night now. It helps that I don't have ot be at work until 1245pm as well; makes it easy to go to bed at 4 or 5 in the morning and get up around 9 or 10