View Full Version : Odd Tourettes problem, please help!

Derek
10-22-07, 07:44 AM
Hello, my username is "Derek", but my real name isn't because I don't want anyone to know who I am...

I'm a young adult, who learned he has tourettes about four months ago. I've actually noticed (In the past I did not notice I was doing this) I've been saying some vulgur words outloud, however, I only say these words when nobody is around. I won't say these words of course. When I'm around people, this doesn't occour at all, although when I'm in public where I think nobody can hear me, I say these words too.

I'm worried that one day I'll think nobody can hear me, and say them outloud, and somebody will actually hear me saying this stuff. Wouldn't be a problem since most people in their early 20's curse like crazy anyway, but I live in a community of mixed races especially black people, and some of the words I say outloud are racial slurs.

I am honest to god not racist, but I say it anyway, and I don't know why! I've done some research about this for months, and tried many ways to keep my mouth shut, but nothing's working. Does anyone have any suggestions please? It's so stressful going to school now, with me being worried I might say the wrong thing and offend someone, and I don't want to do that.

Honestly, I flat out hate myself right now because I can't control this. I feel this situation is so ridiculous, that people might even think it's a joke. I can't tell anyone about this because I'm worried they might think I'm joking, but I'm just going to attempt to get some help on the internet. Thank you for reading.

speedo
10-22-07, 05:05 PM
Get to a doctor. There are medications that sometimes help suppress the tics.

Me :D

Hello, my username is "Derek", but my real name isn't because I don't want anyone to know who I am...

I'm a young adult, who learned he has tourettes about four months ago. I've actually noticed (In the past I did not notice I was doing this) I've been saying some vulgur words outloud, however, I only say these words when nobody is around. I won't say these words of course. When I'm around people, this doesn't occour at all, although when I'm in public where I think nobody can hear me, I say these words too.

I'm worried that one day I'll think nobody can hear me, and say them outloud, and somebody will actually hear me saying this stuff. Wouldn't be a problem since most people in their early 20's curse like crazy anyway, but I live in a community of mixed races especially black people, and some of the words I say outloud are racial slurs.

I am honest to god not racist, but I say it anyway, and I don't know why! I've done some research about this for months, and tried many ways to keep my mouth shut, but nothing's working. Does anyone have any suggestions please? It's so stressful going to school now, with me being worried I might say the wrong thing and offend someone, and I don't want to do that.

Honestly, I flat out hate myself right now because I can't control this. I feel this situation is so ridiculous, that people might even think it's a joke. I can't tell anyone about this because I'm worried they might think I'm joking, but I'm just going to attempt to get some help on the internet. Thank you for reading.

Derek
10-23-07, 01:15 AM
Thanks, but I really want to figure out how to do this on my own. I'm too embaressed to tell anyone, even my doctor.

airbucket
10-23-07, 11:07 AM
Thanks, but I really want to figure out how to do this on my own. I'm too embaressed to tell anyone, even my doctor.
hi derek-

i can udnerstand you feeling embarassed, at your age i can understand that, however, thats what the doctors are there for! There is nothing ot be ashamed of - you may have Tourrettes, which is an illness. if you had a different illness, such as diabetes or a virus, you wouldnt hesitate to see a doctor. there are doctors who also treat tics just as they treat any other problem. You will never find a doctor who will make you feel embarassed! If you want some help you may need some medication. My son is 8 and has has tics and we were lost until we took him to a doctor. I encourage to re consider this because there may be a lot you can do on your own, but there may be things going on in your brain that you can not control. good luck!

Derek
10-23-07, 04:24 PM
Thanks you two. I think you're both right, maybe I should see a doctor about this problem, and hopefully he/she will understand what's going on and can help me out. :)

speedo
10-23-07, 05:41 PM
It's a good idea to see the doc. There really is nothing to figure out about tourettes as it is just there and you tic.

good luck with it

Me :D

KevinC
11-16-07, 12:17 PM
Yeah doctor would be your best bet, I found after I talked to a doctor and my parents knew I really had no problem telling anyone. You will get a lot of "Stop lying you don't have that!" at first.

netsavy006
11-17-07, 04:29 PM
Medications that can help tics:

Clozoril
Risperdal
Zyprexa
Seroquel
Geodon
Abilify
Invega (off label use)
Haldol
Clopromazine (sp?)
Orap
Prolixin
Clonidine (really great med for tics)
Tenex (another great med for tics)

arkyle
02-05-08, 02:03 AM
Lately I've been saying this Spanish (note, from Spain, I'm in Mexico and the Spanish in both sides is quite different) swears and vulgar terms from nowhere. Yep, out loud. They sound quite funny but their meaning isn't as much. People around me already got used to it; they know I just say this stuff because I can't shut my mouth. I've always said EVERYTHING I think, and I've always had this kinetic tourettes too (inherited, haha almost everyone on my dad's side has the same motion tics), like the right side of my face, legs, shoulders, etc, so I'm used to the way I am.

Don't feel embarrased. Seriously, you're not the devil, you're not going to be burned alive. Witch hunts are long gone. This is something normal, known to be a syndrome. If it is bothering you that much go and talk to a Dr. He's the only one able to answer all your questions; but he has to know how you feel.

Naomi2
04-07-08, 10:36 AM
This is only different to a lot of cases of Tourettes because, from what you've said, it seems you have complex vocal tics only and not any other tics at all, unless of course you have but you don't notice them.

If you really do have no other tics, you may find you have chronic vocal tic disorder which is much rarer than Tourette syndrome or chronic motor tic disorder (but just as valid, and they're all part of the same thing really).

If you are worried that someone will hear you and take offence, make a set of small cards to carry with you when you're out and about. They could say something like:

Hello! My name is Derek. I have a neurological disorder called Tourette syndrome which invloves occasional, uncontrollable vocal utterances known as 'tics'. I cannot control these and they do not in any way reflect what I am actually thinking. In all other ways I am perfectly normal and hope that you can ignore my tics.

Obviously, some better wording would be helpful, but the point is that if someone does overhear you and takes offence, you can hand one of these over to them. It is helpful as an explanation and a diversion from any anger that the other person may be feeling.

And remember - be thankful that your tics have an automatic suppressor around other people! :)

I hope this helps :)

Scattered
04-07-08, 12:08 PM
About 10% of folks with Tourettes according to something I read recently have the type where they say things they'd rather not -- it's call copprapelia (my spelling is probably off). If someone overhears, you and gets offended, you might just need to tell them that you have a neurological condition called Tourettes.

You might want to see if there are any behavioral treatments a doctor could offer to help you deal with this behavior as well. In any case, you shouldn't have to deal with it alone. My brother has Tourettes, without the copprapelia, he just makes strange sounds and has lots of twitches. I know it's hard on him and embarassing -- don't try to face it all alone. It's not you're fault -- just your wiring.

Naomi2
04-07-08, 12:31 PM
It's spelt coprolalia :p

(And as far as I know it's pronounced coh-proh-lay-lee-yer) :)