View Full Version : What's your ideal workout?

maori_boy
10-22-07, 08:08 AM
Just wondering what you all like to do to workout?

I'm hugely into rugby. In rugby season (winter) I practice every night either playing rugby im watching it. I try run with team or on my own. In the summer I play touch rugby. When im not playing rugby im watching the games on tv/ I run at least 5km every second day and weights (not too heavy - not good for the position i play at rugby)
Ive just moved town and finding a touch team to join for the upcoming summer. Once pay comes in will also find a gym to workout in.
Also a keen swimmer. Fishing is a maori past time. I hate fishing, no offence to fishing people. Waiting for fish to snap at your line is like waiting for paint to dry. Spear fishing on the other hand...TU MEKE RAD!!

So what do you all like doin?
even if its just walking around the block..

~boots~
10-22-07, 08:11 AM
omg! I am SO not like that LOL..I used to love netball..does that count? and rollerskating..

I don't come from a sporty family :-) that's MY excuse...

maori_boy
10-22-07, 08:14 AM
yeah that counts for sure. Netball is an awesome sport ay.
nah we all have our own lil interests ay.
some of us just tend to obsess about some...hmm RUGBY!
haha cant stop gawking at that bumble bee nest hair! its awesome!

Skully
10-22-07, 09:29 PM
I like lifting weights for an hour and a half followed by 45 minutes to an hour of a good cardio workout on the treadmill or bike.

maori_boy
10-24-07, 06:22 AM
just joined the gym agaiin yesterday.
if there are any who go to the gym, what kind of reps do u do? 'do u have any tips on weights or exercises that will help build my core but not get to muscular or bulky?

Tylerlee17
10-24-07, 07:32 AM
Different each day, I change it up. http://www.beachbody.com - I use P90X off there and i've had crazy results. I'm only through 4 weeks out of the 13 weeks you do it and I've already got a 6 pack but it's pretty intense. I also run 4 days a week usually.

maori_boy
10-24-07, 07:47 AM
sweet thanks for that.
the big thing is that i dont want to get too buff. the position i play in rugby is equal to a quater back or one of those running guys who score all the touchdowns in football. I rely on speed and upperbody strength but not too much.
the website looks good.
i try run every 2nd day also...
thanks!!!!

FallenAsh
10-24-07, 08:20 AM
I go to the gym 3 times a week. 10 mins on treadmill walking (warm up), 25 mins on stepping machine (breaking a sweat there) 15 mins on push bike (cool down) and 20 leg reps on weight machine, 20 reps arm weights

The rest of the time as a stay at home mum, it's cleaning and washing and vaccuming which is exercise too I suppose. Sometimes I get on hands and knees to scrub ensuite floor for some extra exertion.

Oh, but at the end of all of that, I still haven't lost weight and I've been going to the gym since April - go figure......

ninjanicole
10-24-07, 09:41 AM
Haha my boyfriend is trying to bulk up for the footy season next year, so all i hear about is weights!

If you want to build up your core you've gotta go for things like sit ups (as boring as they are) and bridges (kind of like a push up only you rest on your elbows, sorry if you already know what they are!) and push ups. You cannot go past push ups for a core workout, they just work everything! and you can vary them by moving your arms further forwards or backwards or doing them with your feet up on a step or exercise ball or something. Either way as long as you do plenty of cardio and dont lift too many weights (you can still do some) you should be able to prevent too much bulking up.

Me personally, i'll walk for 15 mins on the treadmill, jog/sprint in intervals for 10, walk slowly with the incline up reallllly high for 10 (for calves) and then, depending on the day i'll either do pushing exercises for upper body, pulling for upper body or legs, followed by sit ups, push ups and lots of stretching. Oh and if i dont feel like i've worked hard enough i'll finish with a 500m row on the ergo.

hehe can you tell my boyfriend planned my workout for me? :P I have been doing it 3 times a week for about.. oh. two weeks now.. not sure if it will last.

maori_boy
10-24-07, 05:59 PM
thanks for that info. what kinda footy ur boyfriend play, aussie rules, league or union? and position?
i play union, i play either 2nd five or midfeild.
i hope ur workout lasts, its seems pretty intense ay.
I pretty much do alot of workout already but the thougt of a well defined six pack, sounds good ay. I kinda have one but its not defined.
thanks once again.

FrazzleDazzle
10-24-07, 06:29 PM
I walk a very fast walk at work during lunch hour for 30 minutes, I walk the dogs, and 30 minutes on a mini trampoline. Not in that order or all in one day I'm just not into weights........

ninjanicole
10-24-07, 09:05 PM
No worries :)
He plays AFL in the centre or on the wing, he used to be a long distance runner so he is faster than most guys out there but obviously didnt have the body size/weight. lol.. That has all changed now though!

Which one is rugby union? i'm a bit clueless about rugby.

maori_boy
10-24-07, 10:26 PM
hahah um u no the all blacks, well they play union,
its the one with lineouts and scrums, 15 players on each team.
haha its BIIIIG here.

good on ur boyfriend, im guessing now hes not only fast but pretty well built....thats lethal!

ninjanicole
10-25-07, 12:25 AM
the scrums are where they all crash shoulders right?

maori_boy
10-25-07, 12:29 AM
yeah thats the one. im not in the scrum tho haha,
this guy i knew from up north almost died from a rugby tackle, his heart stopped. It only happened last week. i used to play against him.

ninjanicole
10-25-07, 05:53 AM
thats scary. Happened to a friend of mine last week too actually, only he was just doing somehing normal like watching tv and his heart kinda imploded. Makes you think huh, anything can happen to anyone at any time. And this guy was the fittest guy i know.

maori_boy
10-25-07, 06:15 AM
its crazy!
it makes u wonder how long it will be until we ourselves die. Really gotta make the most of our lives and live it to the fullest.

~boots~
10-25-07, 10:36 AM
hey MB..when I finally get to NZ don't expect me to Run!!! or do any form of thi weird stuff called exercise...OK!!

personman
10-25-07, 10:38 AM
Hello,

I'm a big mixed martial arts fan, and those guys are incredible all-around athletes. They are also at the cutting edge in terms of conditioning methods because they can afford the good trainers and all that, so I like to see what sorts of workouts they do. Circuit training and plyometric type exercises are the state of the art, it seems.

I personally love circuit training. I do just about everything in circuits.
More traditional or body building style routines generally have you isolating one particular group of muscles at a time, and lifting a little less than your max, where as in circuit training, the goal is to switch rapidly from muscle group to muscle group and keep your heart rate up. You'll probably want to start with much lighter weights than you would normally use. It can seem easy at first, but after a few sets you'll probably want to hurl if you aren't used to this.

Which sort of weight routine you do depends on your goals. The more traditional method would probably concentrate on muscle size and strength, while the circuit method would be more about overall endurance and conditioning. I like to mix things up often to keep my routine from getting stale, but I mainly prefer lifting in circuits.

Interestingly, Bruce Lee was the first public proponent of circuit training as far as I know. The last heavyweight champion of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Randy Couture, uses circuit workouts. He's over 40 and in much better shape than most 20 year olds.

Here is a video where he shows a circuit weight training workout:

Randy Couture's Circuit Workout (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3224902600571518938)

I do cardio in circuits as well, I like to mix running, jumping jacks, jumping rope, biking, and shadowboxing.

Another training method that seems to be popular is plyometrics. Plyometric-type exercises are used to develop "explosiveness" for a particular activity.

A simple example of a plyometric sort of exercise would be hand-clap push-ups. They are done just like a normal push-up, but you have to push explosively enough to clap your hands and catch yourself for another push up.

You can do this with body-weight squats as well, for developing explosive jumping. Instead of just standing after the squat, push off as explosively as possible.

A way to include plyometrics in your running would be to start adding short high-intensity sprints in to a normal slow, long distance run. Something like this could be beneficial for being a fast explosive runner in rugby. George St. Pierre, the former welter-weight UFC champ, does this. Probably many others as well.

I should mention that plyometrics can be riskier than other types of exercises. Because of the explosiveness and intensity it can be easier to injure yourself. I wouldn't recommend them for beginners but more for people who have been working out awhile and looking for new things to try.

You can find more info about circuit training or plyometrics by googling around.

-personman

personman
10-25-07, 11:24 AM
George St. Pierre Workout (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gvxv_georges-stpierre-mma-instructional_extreme)

More from the man himself, looks like good stuff.

-personman

Skully
10-25-07, 06:10 PM
just joined the gym agaiin yesterday.
if there are any who go to the gym, what kind of reps do u do? 'do u have any tips on weights or exercises that will help build my core but not get to muscular or bulky?
Doing compound movements using free weights will build up your core. Using machines can be isolating to a specific muscle group. Try using dumbbells or an EZ curl bar for biceps. Squats are another good one. Also dead lifts. for muscle "toning" (I hate that word) 10-12 reps is good. For muscle building you should pyramid. For example start with a set weight at 10 reps, add weight go down to 8 reps, add more weight go down to 6 reps and so on. Hope this helps.

maori_boy
10-26-07, 03:31 AM
thanks msam, i will add that to my routine.

Tracey haha, i dont have a car so the only way i get around is using my two legs or the bus, but the public transport is crap. So ur gona come to NZ then ay?

Skully
10-26-07, 08:44 PM
Another good one is the Arnold press. Good for shoulders and arms. Below is the link that tells/shows you how:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBArnoldPress.html

ninjanicole
10-27-07, 09:16 PM
oo dead lifts. I have never been in so much pain before in my life! I did it wednesday last week and its sunday now and i'm still walking like an old lady :P

maori_boy
10-28-07, 04:01 AM
ouch! yeah can imagine, those things can hurt ay.

Ian
10-29-07, 10:02 AM
My favourite workouts happen more often at this time of year. A long run in the cool, crisp, clear days of fall suits me perfectly.

Wisefolly
06-02-08, 11:55 AM
I don't like to "work out" per se, but I get my excercise by dancing instead. I only go about once a week, but I have a 10 minute walk to and from work, and I walk fast, so I figure it is okay. That being said, I have started yoga once a week through work, and I enjoy it. I don't think I would do it on my own though. I've never had the motivation to excercise for the sake of excercising on my own. I have to have some other motivator.

DotwithADD
06-03-08, 12:31 AM
Square dancing... it's exercise AND fun!!! Just graduated (probably NOT at the top of the class - LOL:D) from Square Dancing Classes with my hubby... last month... It is such good exercise for me... because I keep losing my place or forget how to do a specific step... especially the new ones:rolleyes:.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=187&pictureid=1489

Wisefolly
06-03-08, 08:22 AM
Yup, dancing is great! It is really good for your balance too. I do lindy hop, so there tends to be a good deal of spinning involved too. It's a really good thing for me too because as a follow I have to turn my brain off for a bit, which is something I should perhaps do more often! :p

adhd4life
06-03-08, 11:26 AM
I like to run. I find that it helps me think and clear my mind. It's really relaxing to me. Sometimes if I can't sleep I'll get up and go for a run. My mom thinks I'm crazy but if Im not gonna sleep anyways I might as well get rid of some energy.
I just got the new nike plus thing and I love it! It tells me how far I run and how fast and how many calories burned and stuff like that. You where it when you run then plug it into the computer and it shows you your whole run. It's so cool!

AnneM
06-15-08, 09:33 PM
adhd4life -- does your nike plus thing keep track of every run you do? can you use it to monitor yourself over a period of time?

my ideal workout...when I can do it, is a 3 mile run and then working out with free weights. the running clears my head (no chatter in there after a good run) and the weights are just relaxing.

garykelly
06-16-08, 03:21 PM
You know, it sound boring, but I like jogging. Of course, I couldn't do it without some pumping music in my player. That is a must.

LuckySe7en
06-18-08, 03:03 AM
For aerobics I just run on a local track at a good 6 minute mile pace until failure to maintain a decent speed. Or I swim.

Weight lifting explains itself. Back, biceps, legs, trunk on one day. Chest, triceps, shoulders on another.

prtsimmons
06-18-08, 05:33 PM
I have 5 or 6 different workouts, depending on what kind of mood I am in (I often don't have the patience to spend 30 minutes running or on the cardio machines). I find I am more likely to do a workout if I don't feel like I have to do something specific - I stick with it and don't get burn out that way. I only work out 2-3 times a week (in addition to my 2-3 kung fu classes a week) but I like to mix it up. Working out is the most effective treatment that I have found for my ADD, by far.

Workout one: 10 minutes warmup on cardio machine (bike, treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine); 45 minutes weights (total body - 6 or 8 exercises, 2-3 sets each); 20 minutes cardio; 10 minutes cooldown / stretching.

Workout two (circuit): 10 minutes warmup; 2-3 minutes on heavy bag; ab exercise; 2-3 minutes skipping; stretch; repeat steps 2-4 at least two more times; then cooldown/stretch

Workout three (circuit): 10 min warmup; do a complete body workout (i.e. bench press, seated row, shoulder press, squat, leg curls, biceps curls, triceps extensions - 1-2 sets of each), as a circuit, with ab/core exercises in between sets (don't rest between exercises); 10 min cooldown / stretch.

Workout four (technique/cardio): 10 min warmup; 10 minutes footwork; 5 minutes kicking in air; 10 minutes punching/kicking the heavy bag; 10 minutes forward rolls, breakfalls, etc.; cooldown and stretch.

Workout five (plyometrics): 10 min warmup; clapping push-ups; medicine ball toss; reactive surface drills (bosu, ball, etc.); bench jumps; plyometric ab exercises (with a partner); explosive jumps (up and forward); hit the heavy bag; cool down.

Workout six (cardio/flexibility): 20 - 35 minutes on treadmill or other cardio machine; 20 minutes stretching.

prtsimmons
06-18-08, 05:40 PM
If you have trouble getting started on an exercise program, hire a personal trainer or do an orientation session at your local YMCA. I give orientations at our local Y (I am doing a certification course to be a personal trainer) and it is amazing how many people don't work out because they don't really know what to do and are intimidated by the equipment / other gym patrons. The orientations are free with a Y membership ($40 / month at my YMCA - very cheap). Just ask for help - people love to share their knowledge at the gym (just ask someone who knows - a personal trainer or weight room staff).

Logic
06-19-08, 04:50 PM
40 Mins weights, 20min run (hill profile), day 1 (Martial Arts in evening 2hrs)
40 Mins weights, 10min cross trainer, swimming, day 2
1Hr run outdoors, up hills or across uneven ground at the beach, day 3 (Martial arts in evening 2hrs)
40 Mins weights a.m, 40Mind weights p.m (supersets), sauna, day 4
40 Mind weights, 20min run (hill profile), day 5
day 6 is a rest day,
day 7 repeat from day 1.

Supplement with Creatine, Protein Powder, Ginseng, Vit-B, Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

HitAndRun
06-20-08, 10:38 AM
*pacing around the house looking for the remote
*walking to the tv, turning it on, walking back to the sofa.
*walk to Maccas at the end of my road for the daily Big Mac Combo upsized and 2 caramel sundaes made with extra whipped cream from home.
*tippy-toe stretches while brushing my teeth