View Full Version : Opera vs. Musical

EYEFORGOT
10-22-07, 11:54 AM
Which do you like?

What do you think are the differences?

Or are they simply different stories, with different music, but all "operas"?

Matt S.
10-22-07, 12:12 PM
I spent most of my childhood being trained in voice, and trust me I can sing a mean baritone aria, but I learned a good portion of both in my younger years, once upon a time I wanted to be a music teacher and made every music festival I auditioned for... perfect pitch, you bet. I was awarded the "Choral student of the year" as a senior in high school and sang both "The Impossible Dream" and "Star Spangled Banner" at my graduation.

Not to get off topic but I voted for both and thought everyone should know why :D

The differences are that musicals are acting that break out in song frequently in combination and opera has the plot strictly in singing, at least from both my perspective and what I learned.

Mincan
01-22-08, 01:34 AM
I like both equally as much.

Favourite Operas include:

-Aida, Tosca, La Boheme, Tannhauser, Don Giovanni, Tristan und Isolde, Madama Butterfly, Carmen, La Nozze di Figaro, Carmina Burana, Die Walkure

Favourite Musicals include:

-West Side Story, The Sound of Music, Phantom of the Opera, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The King and I, My Fair Lady

Don't know if you'd include Choral works but any by Mahler, Brahms, and Bach top my list.