View Full Version : New study please read!

Skully
10-22-07, 09:02 PM
The following was a short article published in Women's Health (November 2007). I am working on tracking down the orgininal study and results.

Sad to the Bone

Talk about getting kicken when you're down: Taking anti-depressants such as Lexapro and Prozac can leaad to bone-density loss later in life, according to a study in the Archives of Internal Medicine. Researchers analyzed data from 2,722 older women who had two bone-denisty measurements taken 5 years apart. The found that those who were taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's) for depression within 2 weeks before the measurements lost nearly twice as much done density-0.82 percent versus 0.47 percent per year-as those who weren't. "The drugs may affect cells responsible for maintaining healthy bones," says lead author Susan Diem, M.D., M.P.H. But don't heave your happy pills: Insteady, aim for at least 1,200 milligrams of calcium per day-an 8 ounce glass of milk has about 275 miligrams-and build bones with weight-bearing workouts such as running and strength training.

randomthoughts
10-22-07, 11:19 PM
good info, probably prudent for both sexes i suppose

Matt S.
10-23-07, 12:15 PM
I guess I am lucky those drugs make me manic