View Full Version : Irritability

blueyeyore
10-23-07, 02:01 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has a real issue with being irritated while on Vyvanse. I've been taking it for almost a month now and it's great I can actually sit and work while at work and I'm actually even nice to people, when I'm not irritated. In the morning seems to be the worst, especially before I have my medication or if I'm really involved and focused on a task and someone interrupts me to do something else I really wanna burst...

So yeah...I was kind of wondering if I was alone in that...:confused:

Tylerlee17
10-23-07, 09:39 AM
That's rebound from taking it the day before. Nope you're not alone, I always set my alarm for about an hour earlier than when I'm expected to get up normally because Vyvanse takes about an hour to kick in for me and that helped a tid-bit with that problem.

Matt S.
10-23-07, 10:06 AM
Are you eating enough? Not eating for days on dexedrine (close enough) causes some nasty irritability with me so it helps to force food down to stop that.

blueyeyore
10-23-07, 10:26 AM
lol...eating...that's like last on my list of things to do during the day and that's only if my stomach fusses at me so much I can't ignore it, but I might try that cause I actually did get a chance to eat something after I got home from work. I wasn't irritable this morning when I woke up...I just had a hard time actually getting out of bed..

Tylerlee17
10-23-07, 12:05 PM
I get extremely irritable every morning I wake up (didn't matter what medicine I was taking). Doctor told me that's rebound from the day before, but I also get irritable or more side-effects from the medicine during mid-day if I don't eat.

SuperChan
10-23-07, 03:05 PM
I've noticed that my son isn't that irritabile but he is quick to tears, has anyone else noticed that?

blueyeyore
10-23-07, 09:58 PM
I've noticed that my son isn't that irritabile but he is quick to tears, has anyone else noticed that?
I was the same way for the first 2 weeks on the medicine like constantly...the smallest thing could happen and there was NO controlling those tears, even if I was at work. It's kind of tappered off now that I'm in my 4th week, but there are still times the smallest most umimportant thing will set me crying.

ShawnB
10-23-07, 10:12 PM
I'm like that when I'm not medicated. I'm irritable when I wake up (no matter if it's 6-7am or 2pm if I get that lucky to sleep in). I also get really annoyed when I'm hyper-focusing on a project and get interrupted. But, the Vyvanse didn't stop this at all.

I personally can't blame those issues on the meds, cause irritibiltiy and hyper-focusing are symptoms of having ADHD anyway. It's just not helping it enough.

blueyeyore
10-23-07, 10:33 PM
I'm like that when I'm not medicated. I'm irritable when I wake up (no matter if it's 6-7am or 2pm if I get that lucky to sleep in). I also get really annoyed when I'm hyper-focusing on a project and get interrupted. But, the Vyvanse didn't stop this at all.

I personally can't blame those issues on the meds, cause irritibiltiy and hyper-focusing are symptoms of having ADHD anyway. It's just not helping it enough.
Well, for me I never had those symptoms before hand. It didn't start until about 2 weeks ago. Being focused on something was never in my agenda...talking...moving...in general socializing...but no focusing lol

ShawnB
10-24-07, 10:04 AM
I know what you mean.. I didn't mean to imply that you *Had* to have that to have ADHD.. so I hope you didn't take it that way! Generally I am the same way as you. But.. there were times that I'd get "In the Zone" so to say. For example.. I'm a self-employed graphic/web designer. There are days that I can't come up with any good ideas, and there are days I'm on the ball! I've learned not to 'force' my creativity by sitting in front of a blank canvas (or computer screen). But when an idea hits me... I'm working like a maniac and I'll get an obscene amount of work done in a short amount of time. Or I'll work for 18+ hours on something until it's done. During that time I'll dang near bite the heads off of anyone that interupts me. (NOT a good thing when you have kids and a husband!) Well... not good no matter who's around really! LOL

BUT.. that was the one thing that I do like about ADHD (Ability to Multi-Task and get the work done by deadline... not the irritable part).

If the meds are causing that, perhaps ask for another med. They don't all cause that. Focalin XR was great for me for 4 months before it no longer worked for me. It calmed me down a lot! Vyvanse calms me down.. but like I mentioned.. I'm irritiable by nature (not just cause I'm a female) LOL

blueyeyore
10-24-07, 10:36 AM
I'm trying my hardest to work with this medicine because I'm not a big medicine person. I hear about people switching and switching and switching. I had a bad enough first day experience with this medicine and most of the side effects have gone away, except for my irresistable urge to pick all the skin off my lip and my being mean..like real mean. I was completely focused on something I was doing on the computer and my mom opens the door and was like...do you want dinner? omg are you crying? I was like MOM I'M TRYING TO DO SOMETHING! and she went away. lol it's actually funny the things that set me off nowadays...BUT i have been following the suggestion of remembering to eat...I made sure I had something in my stomach last night when I got home. I have not been irritable the past couple of mornings....just with the stupid people at work that don't get things as quickly as I do.

blueyeyore
11-12-07, 10:14 PM
Ok, so I had some more issues with being irritable again. The doctor upped my dosage to 70mg per day last Thursday. K good fine..whatever.

Between Friday and Today I've had 3 meetings. One for the project I'm working on, the other is supposed to be some developmental "get to know" the people in your department type thing.
Two of them were on Friday, the project and one of the development ones. First off, I was irritated at some people in the group for the project, because 2 of them were not doing their work. 1 of which decided not to show up for the meeting, the other showed up late and admitted he had done no research on his topic. The one who did no research decided he wanted to debate with me on my suggestions(which I had done research for) FOUR minutes before we had to be at the second meeting...I snapped. I was like seriously, we've got four minutes to get through the rest of this list before we have to be at another meeting...so unless you've done some research on my topic I suggest you let me get through this. I wasn't a very nice person.

So, that set me up for my next meeting...which we walked into late. Anyway, I wasn't in the mood to participate in the events in the beginning, but I finally got into the games and all was well. Later I got to tell my supervisor about the other 2 people in my group not participating in their research topics...that got handled.

Today, I had another meeting. It was something about personality things. PCSI or something like that. Anyway, I was actually trying to get something from this meeting, but the people at the table behind me could not shut up for the life of themselves. It literally took all my energy just to keep my mouth shut.

There were several other instance in which I really wanted to slap the crap out of someone, but I resisted.

So...does anyone else have this extreme about of irritibility on vyvanse? I've just never felt that much "need" to rip through someone when they annoy me. (Oh and when I say rip...not just verbally I really feel if given the chance I could beat the living crap out of these people, at the moment it's happening)

Tylerlee17
11-12-07, 10:41 PM
Irritability was the largest side effect I found on Vyvanse for me, if not the only real big issue (aside from concentration issues but that's a long story). I get a much more mild version of irritation from Adderall XR but I can easily control it vs Vyvanse (might be because I've taken adderall XR 6-7 years). With Vyvanse it felt like... waves of irritation... for first 3 hours I wouldn't be irritated then boom a spike that would last 30-45 minutes then I would calm down... 3 hours later another.. etc. I found one thing that completely get's rid of it - nicotine - and that's definately not the best option but yeah I feel you with that side effect.

blueyeyore
11-12-07, 11:03 PM
Yeah, the doctor asked me if I wanted to take adderall instead of going up on vyvanse, but since I was already used to the side effects of Vyvanse I figured I'd keep with it. He doesn't seem to think my irritability is an issue, or the fact that when I was on 50mg per day I was actually worse than before meds. He actually said well your meds shouldn't be making you worse...and handed me an upped dose...Im like great...it makes it worse and your giving me more...*shrugs*

I guess I got used to walking around blah bored with everything for the greater part of 22 years and now I actually have an emotion other than blah...don't ask me...my psychiatrist sure doesn't lol

alphaDork
12-08-07, 08:33 PM
Just starting out on Vyvanese but I've found that when it's worked as it should on the 2nd day I was totaly able to brush something off that would have annoyed anybody but would have made me totaly flip at about 7pm. But today today being the thrid day the effects were deffinately less pronounced and I got pretty damn irritated at something that was only on the lower end of the scale of being annoying.

blueyeyore
12-08-07, 09:04 PM
That was several days after a dosage increase; it gets better. I hardly have any irritability at all anymore...occasionally, like normal, but not near where it was those days. Hopefully that offers you something to look forward to...just give it times and hope you don't injury someone lol

inhalexxhale
12-14-07, 11:23 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has a real issue with being irritated while on Vyvanse. I've been taking it for almost a month now and it's great I can actually sit and work while at work and I'm actually even nice to people, when I'm not irritated. In the morning seems to be the worst, especially before I have my medication or if I'm really involved and focused on a task and someone interrupts me to do something else I really wanna burst...

So yeah...I was kind of wondering if I was alone in that...:confused:
haha, yea. i can totally realte.
like, man... DONT mess with this on Vyvanse (defiently had some bad mornings).