View Full Version : i can not believe this is true

Crazy
10-24-07, 09:16 AM
I've always had a tendency to feel like I wanted to roll my eyes around. Also have had a chronic cough for some time now. Years. Ex used to always comment on the "blinking, gazing and coughing." I went to eye doctors, allergists, no-one ever suggested it could be a tic.

Started amphetimine medication and after about a month into it started experiencing a cough. Took antibiotics. Still coughing. I swore it was related to the medication, so I've been researching it and low and behold it is connected. Apparently the cough and eye rolling could have been there all along and are now more apparent due to the medication. I can not believe this. Is it possible that I'm just still sick, or is my hypothesis likely? I am so worried - I don't know what to do with this information. Does this mean I am not going to be able to take stimulant medication to treat my ADHD??

I am in shock that I have gone through my life with
A)ADHD without anyone recognizing it (Looking back on it, the signs were SO apparent)
and
B)now I find out I've had tics???!!!!!! Where were my doctors all of these years? I never would have suspected that what I was experiencing were tics.

Any chance the coughing will go away if I stay on the meds? :(

Crazy
10-24-07, 10:15 AM
is there a chance this cough could be stress related and not correlated with the medication?? (if it is stress related does that make it a tic? lol)

KevinC
11-16-07, 12:15 PM
ususally you will tick more under stress so it could be because of that, I would recommend seeing a neurologist mine picked up my tics while I was in the waiting room lol,

moralecl
09-09-08, 09:38 AM
My daughter has been on every ADHD med in existence I think. Focalin XR was working well but she would start to get emotional (crashing and/or puberty) so the Dr asked us to try Vyvanse. After a few days she developed a persistent cough and clearing of the throat. I took her to the doctor and told her she had the cough for several weeks. She insisted it was a virus and would go away. Well, it didn't (which did not surprise me). In fact it got worse and kept her up at night. Then I started to notice her blinking her eyes a lot. Red flags went up as I seen previousl post about tics such as eye blinking. Then I put two and two together and wondered if the persistent cough and throat clearing were a tic too. I took her off the Vyvanse and put her back on the Focalin and low and behold, the blinking, coughing, and throat clearing are almost gone within two days of her last Vyvanse dose. Hmmmm. I called the doctor and left a message. I doubt I will get a call back but hopefully the next time a kids comes in with these symptoms, they will consider the possiblity of tics. We will stick with the Focalin for a while. I think I can manage the emotional rollercoaster as it's not as bad as it was with some of the other meds. The focalin has been the best because she retains most of her personality but is able to concentrate for most of the day. It has also had the least amount of side effects.

TTdrummer
09-16-08, 03:45 AM
Some doctors are better than others. I doubt very much that the average general practitioner could spot most neurological disorders particularly if they are minor. If your doctor isn't responsive or inquisitive dump him/her. Keep moving until you find someone who gets it. If you're anywhere near Virginia I recommend these guys: http://www.springerlink.com/content/t0466l647812g655/

Every person I know with ADD (for some reason I know many) has had to try a couple of different meds to find the one that gels, often with weird side effects from the ones that don't gel. We've also seen the need to switch when meds become less effective.

I'll add to this that in my experience I've found that a cough isn't much for doctors to go on for diagnosis. They tend to walk you through a bunch of treatments. I think you're really going to need to focus in on whether your cough is caused by a physical symptom or not. Is it a deep cough like a bronchial cough? Like if you inhale smoke? Do you cough up phlegm? Does it feel like there is something there? Probably physical. Is it more of clearing your throat, a little cough in the windpipe, double cough? More likely, although not certain, to be a tic. If it's been there for years then maybe an Xray is in order?

I myself had a deep bronchial cough for months that my doctor wasn't able to cure. I finally cured it myself with "heat" treatment. Basically, I'm a non smoker but I smoked some cigarettes and coughed my lungs out. Voila. The cough was gone the next day. I can't honestly recommend this treatment though!

Imnapl
09-16-08, 09:08 AM
Would a tic keep you up at night?

StephXoRRrr
10-12-08, 03:41 PM
Would a tic keep you up at night?

I know my mom noticed that I had tics even while asleep when I was young so I guess that is enough stressed or anxious and not enough tired, you would "prefer" to relieve your tics rather than sleeping.

I used to take risperdal... and I was taking extra dose before sleep because I was so tired to have intense tics that I wanted to fall asleep and FAST. So, extra dose did it.

StephXoRRrr
10-12-08, 03:54 PM
I am in shock that I have gone through my life with
A)ADHD without anyone recognizing it (Looking back on it, the signs were SO apparent)
and
B)now I find out I've had tics???!!!!!! Where were my doctors all of these years? I never would have suspected that what I was experiencing were tics.

My tics were obvious.
On the other hand, I was followed by a pedopsychologist during my childhood because I'm ALSO cystic fibrosis and no one could manage to make me take my meds and do my physiotherapy correctly, on time and on a regular basis as required because I always forgot (and I still do forget). Of course, those *******s never believed me when I was telling them that I was forgetting about it : "How can you forget? It's for your life! It's important! You will be sick if you don't want to do it correctly! It's impossible for you to forget that! Motivate yourself, what the hell?!"
(Now that I realized about 3 weeks ago that I also have ADD, I -F- them all even more, especially my mom who thinks that I'm just born to be a pain in the *** for her as I'm a lazy *** and all and all.)

BUT... the pedopsychologist never managed to think of me having ADD because I'm appearantly very intelligent, no difficulties at school, (used to) understands fast and all.

I'm still not officially diagnosed but there is no doubt I have ADD. If I ever see her (my pedopsy) at the hospital again, I will ask her "Have you ever thought I could have ADD? Looking back to the issues I had and still have, it was so obvious."
I can't wait to see her reaction.

-- Edit --

Hey while I'm at it, I will look if there isn't something else I could be diagnosed for :rolleyes:
(This is becoming somewhat ridiculous LOL -> "Hi, I'm cystic fibrosis, diagnosed with ADD and Tourettes syndrome.")

BTW, my tics are worst when I'm tired.

speedo
10-12-08, 04:00 PM
If It is a tic, the coughing probably won't go away if you stay on stimulant meds. Stimulants can exacerbate tics. IF you are concerned about the tic you should talk to your doctor about it as there are add-on medications that are known to help reduce tics.
Tenex, clonidine, risperdal and SSRI's are popular meds to add on reduce tics. (usually clonidine or tenex)

ME :D

amu_d
10-12-08, 05:59 PM
If It is a tic, the coughing probably won't go away if you stay on stimulant meds. Stimulants can exacerbate tics. IF you are concerned about the tic you should talk to your doctor about it as there are add-on medications that are known to help reduce tics.
Tenex, clonidine, risperdal and SSRI's are popular meds to add on reduce tics. (usually clonidine or tenex)

ME :D

I wonder if risperdal might reduce the effectiveness of stimulants, since it is an anti-psychotic.

Squishey
02-23-09, 08:29 PM
If you're worried about stimulant medication causing worsening tics, i would suggest talking to your doctor about strattera. Its a non stimulant and works wonders for some.

Krob189
06-07-09, 09:41 AM
Hey! i also had this coughing tic and clearing my throat tic. I was put on a lot of medication. and the medication seemed to make it worse for some reason. i tried paxil, respirdal, clonadine, clonadine patch, Guanfacine and even some lotions that i rubbed into my arm, nothing helped me growing up. at age 16 i decided to cut off all medication. and sure enough i grew out of most of my tics, i only have two tics that i notice now and those are my blinking and my rolling of shoulders. I don't reccomend you stop taking your meds.... but you could try it worked for me

Discobaymamma
06-11-09, 01:38 PM
Have you heard of Celexa? My now 12 year old son had a cough and throat clearing that wouldn't go away when he was 5 and went thru every allergy test they have. The drs were convinced he had allergies but couldn't find the source. In 5th grade he was fianlly diagnosed ADHD and then we found out he had Touretts too. The cough had stopped and the tics turned to small facial and then small shoulder tics. The ADHD medicine causes more tics so he takes Celexa at night before bed and it relaxes him so that he's not anxious and it stops the tics. You would never know he has TS now. It's been a year and there are no side effects that we are aware of. Hope this helps you.
Best wishes