View Full Version : Receipts

Ramey
10-25-07, 12:00 PM
I tried to search this, but a ton of threads came up and I couldn't find what I was looking for....yikes.

I do not use cash or check for anything these days. I use my cards and/or online billpay.

Between my husband and I, there are MILLIONS of receipts laying around. For a long time, I tried keeping them in a bag dated by the month. Then I went back to my normal self and left them wherever they fell. I now have at least twenty grocery sacks full of receipts. None in any specific date order.

Here is my question, IF:

1) I keep IMPORTANT ones for large purchases filed away.
2) I make sure all of them have cleared my current card/bank statements and there are no errors....

How long do I need to keep these? Is it okay to just start shredding or do you all keep yours...or what...?

Thanks for any advice.

Skully
10-25-07, 06:31 PM
I would keep the larger purchases for a year or so. Especially if you are going to claim any of it on a tax return. If you claim milage, then save gas receipts for year after your tax return is finished. But, if you are not going to do that, then trash them after a few months. I keep the receipts for large purchases for a year or more. A lot of your higher end department stores (Sears, JC Penny's, etc.) will take items back if it breaks and you have had it a year.

What I do is keep a "coupon" holder (little plastic oraganizer you can get a walmart for less than $2) in my car. As soon as I get into my car from leaving a store, I put the receipt in the holder. I have mine organized by week. Once the week is over, I file them away in a filing cabinet that has a folder for each month.

Ramey
10-26-07, 12:23 AM
As soon as I get into my car from leaving a store, I put the receipt in the holder. I have mine organized by week. Once the week is over, I file them away in a filing cabinet that has a folder for each month.
That's a great idea...thank you!

~boots~
10-26-07, 01:09 AM
I keep all reciepts except groceries...I am training the kids to do the same!
I have a box in my wardrobe, and I just put them in there! I clean it out every now and again..
I chuck out the clothing reciepts when I think I have got enough wear for my money!! LOL..I keep all the others for a few years. I never chuck them out less than a year..warranty!!

eg...I bought electronic scales..only $25...brill..but they died..so I polished them up, dug out the reciept, and took them back to the supermarket! When the girl saw I had the docket, she was more then happy to exchange them, as I didn't want a refund...
It wasn't until I left the store, I actually notice the date I bought them was 2 YEARS previously!! and the box says in big letters 12 MONTH REPLACEMENT WARRANTY

NonSequitur
10-26-07, 01:25 PM
I staple credit card receipts to the statement on which they appear and eventually shred the statements. For large purchases with a warranty, I staple the receipt to the manual.

I probably keep them longer than I have to. Probably? Ha! I've found receipts for things I bought years ago and no longer own.

Ramey
10-27-07, 12:38 PM
After taking inventory in the garage, I found that I have boxes of receipts dating back more than six years.

So...I went on a mission to destroy!

I have a full size shredder and I almost burned the motor out! I could smell smoke and it took a second to realize that I needed to unplug the darn thing and give it a break. :p

Most of my shredding is now done though. Task completed!

At Heart
10-27-07, 08:32 PM
I have receipts coming out of my ears, but have never done anything with them, except put them in my purse, look for them to clear online (if it was a debit or credit purchase), and with things like gifts, I have a drawer full. Of course, I can never find them again when I am trying to return something to the store, so I have given many, many new things to the Salvation Army because of this...

Perhaps it is time to become a medicated ADHD'er.

Skully
10-27-07, 09:37 PM
LOL, might not be a bad idea! I know what you mean about not finding the receipt you need when you need it. I too have many new things at the salvation army! Before I started taking meds I was a mess with receipts. Now I am nice and organized and my checkbook is always balanced. Go figure.

blueyeyore
10-27-07, 09:53 PM
Yeah...I was looking through one of my old purses the other day...it wasa receipt from a DVD player I bought back in 2002 which I no longer own...oh and red lobster receipt for the same day...*shrugs* They stay where they fall lol

EYEFORGOT
10-28-07, 09:45 PM
msam that is a really good idea...the box in the car thing. Now...if only I could remember to empty the garbage I have in there, maybe there wouldn't be so much garbage to hide a handy thing like that under.

for grocery receipts I have a can (the cheap decorative kind) on my kitchen counter. When I come across the receipt while unpacking groceries I stuff it in there. When the can is full it's recorded on Quickn and then thrown away. I know I know...I should have a shredder.

NonSequitur
10-29-07, 12:41 PM
Grocery receipts - I write my lists on the back.

Swede63
10-29-07, 12:55 PM
That is me to a T. I was surprised to read all the clever ideas that everyone has to keep reciepts organized! I feel like a slacker, guess it's time to get organized so I know what I am spending, especially where I often buy on impulse and have to return loads of items. My H keeps all reciepts so I guess I have been spoiled not having to be responsible for them:o

I have receipts coming out of my ears, but have never done anything with them, except put them in my purse, look for them to clear online (if it was a debit or credit purchase), and with things like gifts, I have a drawer full. Of course, I can never find them again when I am trying to return something to the store, so I have given many, many new things to the Salvation Army because of this...

mal_
12-10-07, 11:59 AM
Get rid of your receipts!! I opened my first checking account in 1996, and I still have a shoebox full of receipts and statements associated with that account (which I closed in 2000!) I've tried everything to keep receipts organized (hanging folders for each month, coupon organizer, one of those monthly planners from staples with pockets). None of them work, and there's little need to hold onto receipts. Most of those purchaes should show up pretty detailed on your account statement, which is online, so if you really needed to you could use/refer to that.

hollyduck
12-10-07, 01:59 PM
I always put reciepts in my wallet, in the bill sized slot behind where the dollar bills go when I have any. Now and then the wallet gets too fat to snap the snap, and then I remove the reciepts and go thru them.

Groceries and second hand reciepts get burnt unless they pertain to my home business, they get what they were for written on them if the slip isn't precise. They get filed for use at tax time.

Big stuff, gets stapled to the manual, and the manuals all are in one file because otherwise I would never be able to find them.

Ziplock bags are GREAT for holding reciepts till tax time.

I never use cheques these days, but my bank statements can be helpful sometimes. Not always, because they don't mail back cancelled cheques anymore.

Having said all this -- MONTHS go by when I never do anything with any of these. But the filing system I put in place helps a lot. At least, documents can be stuffed into the right neighbourhood, next to the old tax reciepts or tucked in with a paid off loan -- wherever I am likely to look when I need the thing.

Can I mention one advantage of keeping reciepts, paid off loans, and this other stuff? Together all this paper acts as a giant freeform diary. Going through them is a real trip down memory lane.

Ducky