View Full Version : Is it weird......that I love to clean?

sportbikechic
10-27-07, 09:12 AM
I read on here all the time about ADD'ers being unorganized and dislike cleaning.

I LOVE TO CLEAN!! My house is clean, things are put away. I am such a busy body that I can't stand when the house is a mess.

I will let my 8 yr. son (ADHD) make a mess with toys; that does not bother me. But cleaniness is a must!

I love to vacuum and organize; I have actually thought of becoming a coach and helping people organize their schedules, pantries....whatever!

Being ADD I am very visual....so things need to look good to me. This is a coping strategy for me; in order to be succesfful I have to be organized. Things in their place and turned the right way (a little OCD? :p ). I do not freak out if people come over and make a mess. I don't care, but when they leave I clean it up.

I have recently been hired $25.00 hr. to clean for a wealthy family and actually do their shopping too. I am so excited!!!

Is this weird? :confused: Anyone else? I can't be alone!!:eek:

My ADHD son is not organized at all and my DH who has ADHD tendencies.....well you don't even want to see his truck or office. I have to stay away from his space or I will "go to town". I tell him "whenever you want me to clean, just say the word."

~boots~
10-27-07, 09:14 AM
LOL...I am the same..but it became an obsession...I am alot more relaxed now

Matt S.
10-27-07, 09:16 AM
I am a clean freak, I clean better when I am not on dexedrine.

Skully
10-27-07, 10:17 AM
No, it is not weird. PM me I'll give you my address, LOL. I hate to clean!

EYEFORGOT
10-28-07, 09:49 PM
Ditto. How Northern are you Northern Girl? Come show me how to do it, please? I can't pay $25 an hour, but I'll make a big spaghetti dinner for you. :D

Seriously, though...it's not weird...it's a talent. And amongst ADDers...it's a gift.

kikins
10-29-07, 08:18 AM
Haha! I am the same way...wish I got paid for it though! I actually drive my hubby nuts so I was forced by my therapist...to do nothing but necessary stuff...like clean the bathroom but not reorganize, paint, pick up the yard ect....Apparently it worked...I am not nearly as uptight as I once was....but I still LOVE a clean and neat house.
I have learned though that because my brain is so add...and my life that having a clean house gives me something that I can actually control....and it makes me feel relaxed!
So, wanna go in buisness together??? LMBO!

sportbikechic
10-29-07, 09:44 AM
Happy to know that I am not WEIRD!!:D

I live in Maine....if we all lived closer I would love to clean for you. In exchange for a cooked meal PERFECT. I do not like to cook. I am not a big eater, and I am picky so I do not enjoy cooking.

What a perfect trade huh? Cleaning for cooking! LOL

Michiko74
10-29-07, 10:18 AM
I don't think you're werid at all :) Let's face it, cleaning is a good thing for ADHD folks just because it's using your hands and gets us busy. Plus, you can see the fruits of your labor right away. Now sometimes bigger cleaning jobs are harder on the ADHDer than others. I'm thinking cleaning out that garage is a bit too big of a job. But tidying up a kitchen, vaccuming... :)

NonSequitur
10-29-07, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't say it's weird, but it's not something I can relate to. *lol*

We need to work out a system here, so we can match up the cleaners with the non-cleaners. Although I don't know what I can trade for cleaning... :)

dixiepeep
10-29-07, 01:46 PM
Geez I wish I were like that. Lucky you. I get cleaning spurts but they don't last long enough and I go back to my bad habits.

NonSequitur
11-04-07, 01:10 PM
Hey, you guys who like to clean! You might like this:

http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/nannymania.jsp

:p

selby
11-08-07, 03:36 PM
I loved cleaning when I first started my ADD meds. I went on a cleaning spree regularly. However, once the meds stopped working (maybe a year into taking them) I now have no motivation :(. Wish I could get it back..

DeloresMelon
11-08-07, 06:53 PM
Ever since starting Adderall I now have the "oomph" to get up and clean... and boy do I clean. I'm very anal. I can't even go to my girlfriends house now without spotting dirt. She's just biding her time until I can no longer control myself and start cleaning her house. :p

lunaslobo
11-09-07, 08:35 AM
I like to clean also, but really only when I am alone and I can crank up the music. then I go for it.

Honeybunnie8
11-09-07, 06:06 PM
Come clean my house!!! I loath cleaning!!! And I kinda suck at it also...it usualy gets cleaner when I clean, not clean. Organizing and cleaning are not my thing. Cooking and making a big mess is...I love cooking but there is never anything clean to cook in....its a delima in my house.

meadd823
11-10-07, 04:07 AM
Although I like a clean house I do not like to clean it. I do have a thing about "over clutter" in that if it restricts my movement I can feel suffocated. I do keep better house now that my kids are grown and live on homes of their own.

I can organize very well though - so just because many ADDers tend to dislike cleaning doesn't mean you are weird for liking it. Most ADDers are disorganized but I actually excel at it when medicated - I do it and do it well enough to actually have been hired to do so for others but I do not become obsessive.

lurunning
12-15-07, 11:10 AM
I am the same way (LOVE TO CLEAN), but it takes me a really long time to get the apartment cleaned up; I start cleaning the living room, find something that I need to put in the kitchen, then I see dirty dishes in the kitchen so I start the dishes, notice something that needs to quickly be put into the bedroom, and after awhile, I look around and none of the rooms are clean, even though I spent a few hours cleaning! I just get off task and start something new in a different room! Multi-tasking like crazy, but then realize I've started cleaning ALL of the rooms at once and none of them end up clean. :) Sometimes it takes an entire day for me to get the entire apartment organized. Now that I'm on Adderall, I am much more efficient, and don't jump around so much. (One room at a time)! Ha ha!

dyingInside
12-19-07, 06:04 PM
Hmmm... a plane ticket from Maine to Florida is expensive. You should see my clutter...

It seems easier to clean someone else's place than my own.

Michiko74
12-25-07, 11:29 PM
I start cleaning the living room, find something that I need to put in the kitchen, then I see dirty dishes in the kitchen so I start the dishes, notice something that needs to quickly be put into the bedroom, and after awhile, I look around and none of the rooms are clean, even though I spent a few hours cleaning! I just get off task and start something new in a different room! Multi-tasking like crazy, but then realize I've started cleaning ALL of the rooms at once and none of them end up clean. :) Sometimes it takes an entire day for me to get the entire apartment organized. Now that I'm on Adderall, I am much more efficient, and don't jump around so much. (One room at a time)! Ha ha!
Yeah, that's me in a nutshell! :p

Well make some room in that crazy club of yours, because I find cleaning one of the more 'rewarding' things to do. I can't say that I'd pick cleaning over tv or something, but I find it very rewarding when I see the results of my cleaning.

But as Lurunning says, I can't always stick to one room! :rolleyes:

Mohawk1984
01-02-08, 05:29 PM
I cleaned my kitchen but it smells like rotten mice.