View Full Version : Cleaning Up Clutter the ADD way

bluebird2972
10-30-07, 09:50 PM
Hi
Firstly I have always struggled with cleaning up, because I seem to have too much nervous energy to stay in one place long enough to do a thorough clean.
But I have found some success through this method with de-cluttering and a quick clean.

When I am putting things away I try to always take something which is out of place in the room I am putting stuff away in, and continuing the pattern with all the clutter around the place. I am in constant motion putting things away and collecting up stuff. I look like a whirlwind but eventually the gets the jobs done if I don't get too distracted by the items I find along the way, the song I have been singing or the COMPUTER.

Would love to know other womens ways of tidying up when you have a very limited attention span.

Ramey
11-04-07, 02:14 PM
I have this same problem, and here is what I do.

Get a large box or an empty laundry basket. Put it in front of the door to the room you're cleaning, so that it blocks you from leaving. While cleaning the room, if you find things that belong elsewhere, put them in that box. That way you aren't running around to all the rooms in your home, over and over.

Take that box to each room with you as you clean.

When you're done cleaning, you can then put the items away in their proper rooms.

DeloresMelon
11-14-07, 11:32 AM
I try to implement some of the flylady points. I use a timer, set it for 15 minutes, and don't wander off until that timer stops. On days when I'm really rolling, I set the timer for say 20 minutes for lunch, or a 15 minute book break, so I don't keep getting distracted while cleaning wondering what's next in the book I'm reading.

I've tried using the timer for the computer, but that rarely works. My computer is all the way in the basement, but I have to walk by it for sodas and laundry. I just turn it off. Since I don't have the patience to wait for it to boot up, I am not constantly wasting time "just checking my email".

I like the laundry basket in the doorway idea. Leaving what I'm doing to put something away in another room is a big problem. I'll walk out to "just put this in the kids room" and 30 minutes later I remember I was supposed to be making the bed, or folding laundry in my bedroom, as I'm standing there with a toothbrush scrubbing a light switch in the kitchen or something.

Skully
11-15-07, 07:21 PM
I have a two story house so when I am cleaning downstairs and something belongs upstairs, I place it on the steps. Every time I go upstairs that day I take something with me and put it away.

meadd823
11-22-07, 12:22 AM
I clean what is bothering me at the time - I may scrub the tub wash the dishes, take out the trash, then vacuum the floor. I do certain chores on a daily basis to keep them from piling up - like dishes - I hate dishes but I hate ones days worth five times less than I do five days worth of dishes.

I do my daily chores best if I do them right after work as opposed to waiting - once I sit down in front of the computer that is it I ain't getting back up to clean the cat box - soo I do what ever it is I need to do that day before I turn my computer on and get distracted here until bed time.

The only "chore" I can't do that way is feeding Brat kittens {I did finally get him weaned though} - and he comes complete with his own alarm which I can't hear over my head phones so the dog or Gary grabs my attention because his screaming is driving them nuts - it is rather hard to post with a 70 pound dog nudging your hand and moving your chair way from the computer. Brat man sticks the screaming kitten between my face and the computer screen. Now Brat kitten is older he is about the house and he comes over and chews on me when he is hungry - it take a full fifteen minutes some times but I normally get the hint -it is equally hard to post when a small kitten in trying to chew on the end of your nose -every thing in my house is ADD trained early if it wishes to survive here.

So as you can see I do what every is bothering me at the time every thing else well can wait until it does. Being hyperactive helps as I can not stand it if my movement is restricted in any way.

NonSequitur
11-23-07, 12:58 PM
My system is similar to meadd823's. If it bugs me enough, I clean it. I do try to keep up with the dishes daily, and do whatever chores I want to do first before I sit down here and play.

Okay, so occasionally I let the dishes pile up, like this past week, but I laugh about it, and eventually get it done.

lunaslobo
11-25-07, 09:14 PM
I clean what i can when I can. sometimes when I am feeling a bit more "focused" on cleaning I will go through the house like a wirlwind, while other times I cant even see the mess.

BethanyBez
11-25-07, 09:57 PM
I will do ten things at a time. Sometimes all the dishes will count as one thing, sometimes one dish will count as one thing. Depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

Jett
11-29-07, 08:54 PM
I have this same problem, and here is what I do.

Get a large box or an empty laundry basket. Put it in front of the door to the room you're cleaning, so that it blocks you from leaving. While cleaning the room, if you find things that belong elsewhere, put them in that box. That way you aren't running around to all the rooms in your home, over and over.

Take that box to each room with you as you clean.

When you're done cleaning, you can then put the items away in their proper rooms.

Great idea. Thanks!!! I have a major problem with things ending up in the wrong room. I have seen the strangest things in the strangest places.

I will try this. Again, THANKS!!:D

amnorvend
12-04-07, 01:37 AM
My biggest problem is simply getting motivation to do the task. My boyfriend has a tendency to leave things in a conspicuous place and not say anything to me about it. For example, if he wants me to put up the laundry, he'll leave it in the middle of the room and forget about it. Eventually, I'll work up the motivation to put it up even if it means I run out of clothes. It's not the most efficient way to do things, but it saves us a bunch of arguments and does get the job done eventually.

I do see how the box idea could work, but I don't think it would work in my situation. I have a tendency to let things pile up. Eventually, the box would be just another place for junk to accumulate.

Anyway, dunno if any of this helps your particular situation, but I hope it does!

dwightbean
12-26-07, 03:57 PM
i really haven't had any big cleaning tasks in awhile, but from past memory...

for some reason, the room will ultimately get messier as i'm cleaning before everything is clean again. firstly, i must have the t.v. or radio on (or both). i begin to put everything in piles on the floor, and the piles end up being divided into categories (ie. for this shelf, for this drawer). actually, i'm not usually sure where everything goes at first, but the piles work well in that i can stop, stare at them, and then decide where things will go. slowly, things will start to get into place. if i don't complete the cleaning, i'll still have those random piles on the floor, and after tripping over them so often, i'll ultimately put it up.

it works, but i'm glad i don't do that anymore.

erratica_1
01-01-08, 03:03 PM
One way I've avoided leaving my dishes for the whole week: I only own three bowls, two plates, one pot, and a handful of silverware. (Granted, I live alone.) This way, I have to wash the dishes at least every other day.

livinginchaos
01-01-08, 04:14 PM
I will do ten things at a time. Sometimes all the dishes will count as one thing, sometimes one dish will count as one thing. Depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

oooooooh!! I like this idea!!!

VisualImagery
01-03-08, 12:27 AM
I found some organizing help in an unusual place---Networking for Job Search and Career Success by Michelle Tullier. She even suggests Organizing from the Inside Out by Judith Kohlberg-- my favorite organizing book of all time.

Papers of all types are my nemesis, my Lex Luthor--- I have piles all over the place and need to get my house in shape. So, I am going through the papers and not following--the only handle it once rule. (have to break rules to succeed sometimes) Here is my plan:

1st Step--- Gather all paper work from everywhere put into boxes. If I get all the papers around my house into boxes, my house will look better really fast. It is all the paper that is like the Trouble with Tribbles episode on Star Trek.
2nd Step---A general sort of all the paperwork. I use very general categories for this part. Each category has its own box--LABELLED Category examples:
Trash
Teaching stuff
Research and other types of articles
Personal stuff
I need this stuff right now!!! Can't believe I found it!!!!
WTF--for things I can't currently put into a category but need to keep or think about.
3rd Step-Sort general topics into SPECIFIC categories. This will be the most time-consuming part. I hope it will go faster this way. It also helps me stay focused on one subject area making it easier to figure sub-categories/topics
Prioritize the general categories:
You might want to start with the I need this stuff right now!!! Can't believe I found it!!!! category.
Have files, folders, binders , divider, labels, sticky notes, and other supplies in a box or on desk--wherever you work.
Make sure to always have a WTF folder--if you can't decide, that it where it goes!
Start by putting papers in folders by specific topic
Label folder with a sticky note.
Set the timer-when it goes off.....
Close the folders, stack and put on top of paper pile you are working on
Put box away
Lather, rinse, repeat until all paperwork is sorted into folders.
You can file as you go--Step 5--whatever works best for you is the key.
4th Step---You now have all your paperwork sorted into specific sub-categories.
Put all the folders for each category in a separate box
The papers are now ready for their final storage place and easy to work on for small or large chunks of time.
Use lined paper or make a document to make a master list that records where you are storing things.
Find an easy to remember place to keep the master list
5th Step--- and start the final filing. Put materials in folders where you want to keep them-
File cabinet
Ring binder
etc....
6th Step---Treat myself/yourself to something major!!!! Yeah!

Make a plan to keep from doing this ever again
Make the plan fit your life-style and goals.
Suggestion: Alternate steps 3, 4, and 5. File the high-priority documents right away.

I need this stuff right now!!! Can't believe I found it!!!!

absane
01-07-08, 04:32 PM
If I am cleaning my room all I do is make more piles. I don't know how to organize things but I have some sort of subconscious organization system when I make piles... it's like I can "feel" whether this object or paper goes in this pile, that pile, or any other pile.

Once I have my piles, I try dealing with them one at a time.. putting them away somewhere. I often find myself not knowing what to do with the new piles I just made and 90% of the time these piles are on my bed. Before I know it, it's midnight and I want to go to sleep... but my bed is COVERED! So, I quickly throw them all on the floor, get ready for bed, then stay up until 2 am on the Internet. In the morning I have a bigger mess and I did not accomplish much at all.

:(

;)

scuz
04-20-08, 07:21 AM
Hi, i tried ramey's advice with filling the basket, all is gone well!!! thanks :) Have come up with an additional idea aswell,
i do a "dumpy run" picking up all the items "dumpys" around everywhere and add to the basket also, when done i devide these items to other "baskets" which belong to each member of the family, if there is "items" in their basket that night before bed, they are obliged to put them away, and put their basket away (where all baskets are kept", if is not done each night before 8pm, it gets tipped in the bin, ...
all has gone great for 3 days now.

dyingInside
04-27-08, 01:19 AM
Now that I am "taking a break" from my relationship and actually trying to live in my own house, I'm finally decluttering... Well I'm offering stuff on freecycle, and I rented a storage unit for temporary purging (hopefully I can put stuff in there and then give it away or sell it quickly). You all would be horrified by the mess... I should take before/after pics ... It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate when you have too many hobbies and interests and you don't even live in your own house.

aggie83
05-06-08, 02:39 PM
I've just discovered that I probably have ADHD. My house is a wreck, but it's mine! I keep the dishes washed (got a new dishwasher that has a long soaking cycle AND a potscrubber option- what a help!) and bathrooms sanitary (makeup, lotion, towels everywhere, but the fixtures are clean). Every vertical surface is covered in papers and books and the dust is deep!

I have been thinking back to the time when my house tended to stay 'picked up' and that was 20 years ago. I may go back to this method again. At the time, I was going back to work, my son was a toddler, and my husband was on the night shift (read 'single parent with two incomes'). I sat down and decided what absolutely had to be done and how often. I made index cards for each day of the week and put that day's chores on it. Kept them on a magnetic clip on the fridge. Looking back, the only chore I have still do by the day is shopping for groceries on Saturday.

Hmmm. Think I'll do that. I also like the box for papers idea. I could get something 'attractive' like a woven basket or box and put all paper in there and then sort once a month!

Karen