View Full Version : body types, ADD and exercise

krazy_mountain
11-03-07, 01:30 AM
About physical exercise, I find that I have to constantly make sure that I'm staying physically active otherwise I take a mental and physical dive. I get depressed and almost non-functional. After about 2 days of not exercising it's like a dark cloud is in my head and everything is ultra-foggy. I have great difficulty focussing. After doing moderate to heavy running for even 15 minutes I can almost immediately experience that mental fog lightening up. Do others experience this?

Any clue what might be going on?

Body type-wise I think I'm a mesomorph. I gain weight easily when I don't excercise for a few days and can lose it as easily just by staying focussed for a short time.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Somatypes---Which-Body-Type-Are-You?&id=634225

TeLL
11-03-07, 05:57 AM
I dont know, but I'll def give it a try! ive been wanting to get some exercise done for a while, maybe i should jog or something

Tylerlee17
11-03-07, 01:10 PM
Sort of. I used to get really depressed if I didn't exercise when I was a teenager. I still kind of do now but I just ignore it and continue throughout my day. But I'm not exactally out of shape either. I do gain weight easily though or did before I became obsessed with running so much and working out.

headsamess
11-03-07, 01:29 PM
After about 2 days of not exercising it's like a dark cloud is in my head and everything is ultra-foggy.
Ive had a week of work and feel pretty much the same way. Im a gardener and rarely take any time off, so maybe its a shock to the system doing nothing.

Hootie
11-03-07, 08:52 PM
I know exactly what you're going through. The same would happen to me over the summer when i got out of school. I hid in my house and played videogames.. After being withdrawn from having vigorous conditioning everyday and resulting with sitting on my hiny and cramming junk food into my mouth I gained that "Dark Cloud" you mentioned.

Even now I don't work much and friends are usually busy so i rarely have any motivation to leave my house. But Depression sneaks up on ya if you don't move and get the blood flowing. I have found that even if you only go for like a 10 minute brisk walk around the neighborhood you feel great the rest of the day. It may be intimidating for some people to go for a jog everyday. But a quick walk works just fine for a skinny lad like me. I'm one of those annoying people that don't gain any weight from eating whatever i please =D. I have reason to believe this is largely due to the H wedged in my ADD..

Tara
11-03-07, 09:28 PM
I don't know but Dr. John Ratey has written a book about Exercise and the brain. It's due out in January. I'm actually going to hear him speak later this month about it too at http://www.edupr.com/brain18.html

I know that exercise always helps me feel better but it is a real challenge for me to exercise on a regular basis. Once I get in the habit of exercising daily it's great but if I miss just one day it's tough to start back up again. It can be a real catch 22 for those of us with ADD and other conditions!

livinginchaos
11-03-07, 11:26 PM
there is a good reason for exercising! Especially when dealing with depression.

Exercise raises the serotonin and dopamine levels in your blood. When you don't exercise for a few days the serotonin and dopamine levels drop (resulting in the "dark cloud" - depression).

I've been using exercise (3-4x per week), for the last 3 months, to naturally control my low-grade depression. it's worked better than any anti-depressant has.

Ian
11-04-07, 10:46 AM
I learnt and retained my attendance to the benefits of exercise in this long running thread (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7714&highlight=Ian) here. Also, there was one prior to that thread that saw a lot of activity.

This one (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36445&highlight=Ian) helped me to get clear on some of the mechanics of establishing the habit.

What I've taken away as most important so far is that it is key to grasp the concept of aerobic activity. The golden rule is that you must be able to carry on a conversation but not be able to sing comfortably to easily define the intensity that is correct. Aerobic activity is what yields the biggest benefits for me. I'm doing other more intense work now too, but the intense work only comprises about 10% of my mileage.

If one does any aerobic activity at that level easy level for 40 minutes four times a week the effects will be quite remarkable on many levels. It's leaves me euphoric.

Exercise is a big part of my effort to cope with daily life. I'm still running and I'm still getting stronger. The rest of my life isn't going too badly either. :)
Cheers!

Matt S.
11-04-07, 01:24 PM
I exercise just because I don't want to get fat.

NickL30
11-05-07, 01:46 PM
I am the opposite. I am likely a 'hard gainer' since I have been underweight all my life. I did have an eating disorder growing up but it is mostly gone now.

The eating disorder changed into a serious compulsive shopping addiction, however.

I am actually trying to put on weight. I am male 5'6" and weigh about 132LBS. Back in the spring before starting to workout, I was only around 115LBS. I started working out with a trainer 2 or 3 days a week, 2 days kickboxing / boxing.

I have to eat ALOT to put on weight. 3,000 - 4,000 calories but mostly clean protein - never fried food or fast food crap. I can put on 1 or 2lbs a week.

One type of exercise that is great is boxing & kickboxing. There is a gym that has branches nationwide -- LABOXING.COM where they have 1 hour boxing & kickboxing classes 3 times a week.

Ian
11-06-07, 10:50 AM
Go Nick! :) Maybe start a journal page or just another thread so we can all share in the progress? This is a support group after all. ;^)
Cheers!

AnneM
11-30-07, 11:39 PM
After a steady battle over the course of about 3 yrs I now need to exercise. I always used to be able to easily talk myself out of it. I run (slowly) but I put it in my head that getting at least 20 minutes in is like taking medicine. I literally tell myself that I have to do the 20 mins to get the benefits of this "medicine". And now I've found that if I do about an hour of running the benefits (in mood) last me about 2 days. I run more for my mood than for the physical benefits.

Ian
12-01-07, 01:41 PM
I'm the same. It's the best medicine I know for my mental health. Keeping motivated just now seems a bit of a challenge. I've been running for just over three years now, but this fall I've experienced a loss of drive. I plan on making an assult on my half marathon time later in April so there's lots of time to prepare before that, but I need to be careful not to sink too low before then.
Hope you can keep posting your experiences. The company is welcome. :)

AnneM
12-01-07, 05:23 PM
Ian -I always like reading your posts...you're very inspiring. another thing that helps me run now...when I need a little oomph is to remind myself who I want to be decades from now. I'm middle age and I tell myself that I want to be active all my life. I look at friends who smoke and can barely walk a couple of blocks and remind myself...I don't want that! the other day (it sounds goofy) but I dedicated my run to the 80 yr old lady (me) that is waiting down the road for me. Anything to keep me at it!

Ian
12-01-07, 07:26 PM
I find it difficult to see myself as inspirational, but I will work to that end and hope you'll join me in celebration of richer lives for us all. Thank-you for your kindness.

I like your idea of dedicated pain, effort, or struggle.

I carry a bookish memory of a fellow describing some intense knee pain while sitting in meditation. To help with the pain he dedicated his meditation to the pain of others and set to work to take on their pain.

I had forgotten to get out of myself. I'll run for "The Mouse". She's a friend struggling to rebound after a bout of chemo therapy and unable to run after dedicating the last 40 years to the running community.

It's your turn to be the inspiration it seems. :)

Would you consider supporting this thread (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=157)? It's where this all began for me and continues to crop up for others periodically.
Cheers!