View Full Version : Da Maori life

11-06-07, 05:07 PM
Yea so im not even gangsta, im maori oi,
u wana kno wot maoris go thru in life.
wel firstly il talk bout mi 2nd cousin James Whakaruru who got beatn 2 death bi his dad wif a hammeamer and vacuum pipe. he go 12 yrs 4 dat.
his lyf went like dis. His mum was prgnant at 15, dayz b4 he ws born, she tried to kil failed and james was born..5 yrs lata he was kild bi his stepdad.
kids get raped bi ther dads. heaps of dadz r grandadz 2.
tame iti dis guy shot da nz flag 3 times rite in front of da primeminiser whil puling his gras skirt up 2 show his goods.
wen da queen came to nz a maori tried to atak her.
maori used to ppl from otha tribes and da pakeha white ppl.
Smoking weed heres just like takn medicine.
u dont get maori humor even...we put each other down all da time as a joke...mainly cuz a lot of us hav herd it all da time from our dads. if dey r stil around dat is. stepdads woteva...
my real dads long gone...slept wif mi mums a new dad now. i havnt livd al da hard lyf like hemi bt i am who i am.

11-06-07, 08:16 PM
Teresa Cormack (1987) Jules Mikus, who raped and killed Napier schoolgirl Teresa Cormack, had a long record of sexual offences against children. Despite being aware of his record, which extended well into the 1990s, CYF allowed Mikus to continue living with children until he was arrested for Teresa’s murder in 2002. Craig Manukau (1992) Craig was removed from a school disco by his father and kicked to death while his mother turned up the radio to drown out the noise. The Commissioner for Children’s inquiry found that the over-familiarity of the CYF social worker working with the family led to an inability to make an objective decisions regarding Craig’s safety.

James Whakaruru (1999) James died in Easter 1999, after being beaten by his stepfather, Benny Haerewa, using his fists, a jug cord, a vacuum cleaner hose and a small hammer. The Commissioner for Children’s report on this case found that poor interagency communication characterised the contact with James and his family. Despite approximately 40 visits to health professionals, agencies successively failed to recognise the signs of abuse, or assumed that other parts of the system would protect James. CYF simply failed to follow established procedures (for example, they did not hold a Family Group Conference to ensure that all members of the extended family knew there was a serious problem).

Sade Trembath (2000) CYF placed two-year old Sade with her grandmother Patricia Bissett, in the knowledge that Bissett had history of violence and was an alcoholic. Bissett beat Sade and stubbed cigarettes out on her, taking the infant to hospital when she was found in a coma. Sade now lives with permanent physical and intellectual disabilities. A review by an independent barrister of this case highlighted that CYF policies for caregiver assessment and approval were not followed. Further, the social worker did not provide sufficient support to Bisset when she expressed concerns about her own ability to look after Sade. An extremely pressured workload, difficulty retaining and recruiting experienced staff, and a lack of available caregivers were identified as factors leading to these failings.

Saliel Aplin and Olympia Jetson (2001) Saliel and Olympia were murdered in their beds by step-father Bruce Howse, following a note written by Olympia in her diary just a week before her death that “my father is going to kill me”. An inquiry by the Commissioner for Children unearthed a litany of failures on the part of CYF. Established procedures and practices were not followed, new notifications were not entered, the practice manager was not consulted, and allegations of sexual abuse, despite being recanted, were not investigated. The social worker involved was over-familiar with the family and was desensitised to the level of violence and neglect that was occurring. No single agency was aware of all of the facts of the case, and the interests of the adults became the focus at the expense of those of the children.

Tamati Pokaia (2002) Tamati Pokaia died in the care of Michael and Maata Waterhouse in November 2001. In April 2002, Michael Waterhouse bent three year-old Tamati over a chair and punched him in the stomach four times, after finding him eating popcorn that he thought had been stolen from another child at kindergarten. The Chief Social Worker’s Review of Tamati’s death found that CYF did not ensure that the foster parents received regular visits, failed to evaluate the case failed to and plan for Tamati’s return to his family, and did not involve Tamati’s wider family/whanau in assisting to care for him.

Kelly Gush (2002) Twelve-year old Kelly died of head injuries inflicted by stepfather Darren Mackness for vomiting while she ate her dinner. A review of the case by the Chief Social Worker paints a picture of a Department under massive pressure. High caseloads and pressures of work meant that CYF staff did not adequately investigate the situation and failed to record a notification when mental health professionals expressed concerns for Kelly’s safety. The staff involved had become desensitised to the degree of risk in the family, and began to focus on the adults’ issues, rather than the children’s wellbeing. The Chief Social Worker concluded that the quality of the Department’s work had suffered due to the sheer volume of cases.

Coral-Ellen Burrows (2003) Coral-Ellen was murdered by stepfather Steven Williams on September 2003 in a methamphetamine-fuelled rage. An independent inquiry by Ailsa Duffy QC into why a phone call by her concerned father Ron Burrows to the CYF Call Centre earlier that year did not trigger any action, again highlighted the pressure that the department was under, leading to failure to follow procedures for the intake of cases. Social workers in the call centre had not received adequate training and supervision, and the quality of service was variable since it depended on the individual experience and skills of the social worker concerned. In this case, intake social workers had no local knowledge of the family’s situation or of any alternative agencies in the area who could provide help if CYF could not.

These are the human faces of a system that cannot cope. Unfortunately, the problems with CYF extend beyond a few notorious cases, and are by no means limited to those instances resulting in the death of a child.


11-06-07, 08:22 PM

990: Nineteen-month-old Robert Harlen's mother was out for an hour. Her partner, Graham Ross Sperry, who was babysitting, was later jailed for Robert's death from injuries 'consistent with shaking'. The baby had also had internal injuries.

<li>1991: Two-year-old Delcelia Witika was bashed, burned and hit so hard that her appendix burst. She was left in her cot to die while her mother and her partner went socialising. They were both jailed for manslaughter.

<li>1992: Craig Manukau's mother turned the radio volume up trying to drown the noise when the 11-year-old's father kicked him to death in their home.

<li>1994: Babysitters had seen three-year-old Jordan Ashby with bruises and black eyes - and a doctor had said those earlier injuries were consistent with him falling off his bike - before his mother's boyfriend Phillip Rakete, beat him to death.

<li>1995: After the Children and Young Persons Service had ignored claims of abuse and after social workers did not tell the Family Court about fears made by a public health nurse, her father beat 11-month-old Veronika Takerei-Mahu to death.

<li>1997: Massive head injuries killed 10-month-old Jaydon Perrin while he was in the care of his mother Leanne and her boyfriend Aron Vercoe who was charged but acquitted of murder.

<li>1997: CYPS had removed three-year-old Tichena Cros-land from the care of her mother Moana Whakamarurangi and given custody to her father David Crosland three months before she died of traumatic head injuries and with a badly damaged vagina. He was found guilty of murder but not rape.

1999: After months of violent beatings, seven visits to hospital in a year and 40 examinations by health professionals, four-year-old James Whakaruru was punched and kicked to death by his mother's boyfriend, Benny Haerewa, who was out of jail after earlier attacks on little James. Another child watched and actually handed Haerewa a jug cord, steel vacuum cleaner pipe and a hammer as the 45-minute beating and stomping went on. Convicted of manslaughter, Haerewa was sentenced to 12 years.

<li>2000: Hinewaoriki (Lilly-bing) Karatiana-Matiana died from cerebral swelling after being shaken. She had bruising and lacerations to her genitals. She died in her cot on her second birthday while her mother was out partying. Two aunts who had been 'caring' for her were jailed.

<li>2000: Mereana Edmonds, 6, was beaten to death by her mother Belinda and her lover Dorothy Tipene. Mereana suffered three serious brain injuries and 30 cuts, bruises and abrasions to her body. Among other things, she had been thrown into a shed all night when she wet her bed. Her mother was jailed for eight years, her partner for 27 months.

<li>2001: Saliel Aplin, 12, and her half-sister Olympia Aplin, 11, were killed in a knife attack by their stepfather who first admitted the murder then said he had confessed to protect the girl's mother Christine Aplin. He got 25 years non-parole.

<li>2003: Tamati Pokai, 3, was beaten to death by his 'foster father' after the child brought home a packet of jelly beans from kindergarten.

<li>2003: After he vomited up his dinner, 12-year-old Kelly Gush was kicked to death by his mother's partner.

<li>2003: Coral-Ellen Burrows, 6, complained she didn't want to go to school while her stepfather Steven Williams was driving her there. He knocked her unconscious, beat her to death and dumped her body. He had a long criminal record and had been on a P bender. Her birth father had earlier rung CYPS to relay his fears for her safety.

<li>2003: Fifteen-year-old Rocky Wano, already hooked on booze and drugs, had come home from Rotorua for Christmas. His angry father kicked and beat him to death after he was called to get Rocky from the Waiiroa Marae, finding him drunk.

<li>2004: Tangaroa Matiu was beaten to death with a fence paling by his stepfather after soiling his pants. His mother got seven years for manslaughter, her husband life for murder.

<li>2005: Harley Wharewera, 19, was jailed for 10 years and Jeremy Tawa, 23, for two after attacks on an unidentified two-year-old boy whose home they shared. (The trial judge suppressed his name.) The boy was thrown against walls and beaten, forced to eat dog faeces. His mother, Jill Tania Tito who knew what was happening, was jailed for 18 months.

2006: Ngatikaura Ngata, 3, was beaten to death with weapons also after soiling his pants. His mother and stepfather are serving eight years for manslaughter.



11-06-07, 08:24 PM
Da Sad Thng Is Dat Im Prolly Gona Be Lyk Dat Wen I Grow Up 2
Its In Mi Genes..mi Dad Was An **** So Il Be 1 As Well.
Oh Welllll

11-06-07, 08:27 PM

Gangland in the spotlight

The Press | Saturday, 12 May 2007
Email a Friend ( | Printable View ( | Have Your Say (

Related Links
• Subscribe to Archivestuff (
• Have your say (

A drive-by shooting claimed the life of two-year-old Jhia Te Tua last Saturday, catapulting New Zealand's gangs back into the headlines. KERI WELHAM reports.

This week a two-year-old girl from Wanganui died because of gang warfare. What started as a scuffle at rugby league escalated into a fatal drive-by shooting. Jhia Harmony Te Tua had been lying on a couch in the home she shared with her mother and father, a patched Black Power member. A bullet went through the walls and killed her.

Police investigating the death never shied away from the obvious: the rival Mongrel Mob was responsible and retaliation is probable. Wanganui is a city divided into claimed turf. The streets around Jhia's home are all Black Power strongholds. Mob suburbs are further up river.

Is this sort of gangland war an echo of bygone New Zealand, or are the gangs making a comeback?

The biggest gangs are the Mongrel Mob and Black Power. It is estimated that there are between 2000 and 3000 patched members nationally, in about 100 chapters. The Mob has a slightly larger membership.

There are about 700 members of outlawed motorcycle gangs. These include the Filthy Few, Hell's Angels, Headhunters, Highway 61 and Devil's Henchmen.

The third type of gang in New Zealand is the LA-style street gang, mostly populated by youths who distinguish themselves with American names such as Bloods and Crips.

The first patched gangs emerged in the 1960s. The Mongrel Mob rose out of Gisborne. The Porirua Mongrel Mob had a significant presence by the 1970s.

Gang researcher Jarrod Gilbert, of Canterbury University, says gang activity had its zenith in New Zealand in the '70s and '80s. Over the years, significant violent crime has slipped from public view as these gang members have aged.

But Wanganui seems to have retained some of the old gang fever. One gang leader told Gilbert, Wanganui was "the Wild West".

Gilbert was in Wanganui researching for his PhD on the rise of gangs. "It does seem to be like a lightning rod for gang unrest." Wanganui, he said, was New Zealand's gang-town of the month, unseating other former title-holders such as Foxton and Timaru. The title would continue to pass around provincial towns and cities as long as the ingredients were there: unemployment, ethnic minorities in poor areas, lack of education.

The Wellington police district gang intelligence officer, John Goddard, says gang activities have changed markedly in recent years. Street disorder largely disappeared in the early '90s, to be replaced by sophisticated money-making crime. Senior gang members were now running smooth operations, dealing in methamphetamine. The Porirua Mongrel Mob, for instance, now had business interests in Napier and Hamilton. Pads had been dismantled, making police monitoring more difficult. There was now a widespread motto among gangs: taking care of business.

Gangs must operate below the police radar to protect their networks. This is why the Wanganui shooting would have infuriated older heads in the town's gangs. The invasion by police and resultant scrutiny would have shattered their networks.

Goddard says this is where gang culture has become more complicated. Younger members are coming through, gaining their patches more easily, and indulging in violent crime with little regard for the organised-crime element of the gangs.

Although most gang members won't admit it, there are ructions in many gangs as older, more discreet members clash with youths hungry for action and notoriety.

These younger gang members are of most concern to Goddard. He says they have access to powerful weapons that they use as a "first resort". Without respect for gang hierarchy, their lawlessness goes unchecked. "I think this is something the general public probably need to wake up to."

Gilbert says a drive-by shooting would not be rare in the gang world, but it would usually escape the public's notice because gangs would never report a crime to police. They would seek justice through their own means, usually retribution.

This shooting entered the public consciousness because of Jhia's death. It broke an unwritten gang rule: family homes must never be attacked.

With no Black Power clubhouse in Wanganui to attack, though, the Mob may have put less stock in that rule. But Gilbert insisted Mob members would "feel sick" about killing the child.

But no matter how angry the gang was, the gang hierarchy would never hand their own over to the police. An individual member might turn informant and dob in the killer, but this was unlikely.

Maori Party co-leader Tariana Turia, whose Te Tai Hauauru electorate includes Wanganui, incensed Prime Minister Helen Clark this week when she made a comparison between the police force, reeling from rape convictions of two former officers, and gangs.

Turia said that "just like I'm not prepared to say the police are all rapists, I am also not prepared to say that all gangs are criminals".

Clark said Turia's comments were out of line. "Gangs are criminal organisations. That's what distinguishes them from other, normal, legal organisations" she said.

Gilbert says Turia's comments are unpopular, but true. He admits there is a lot of crime in gangs but he believes that, as members age, their criminal inclinations subside.

But Goddard says there are very few gang members without a criminal record. The gangs are a world of criminal activity so, although one member may not be committing the crimes, they will be associating with, and in ways aiding, those who are.

Whanganui MP Chester Borrows is planning a bill to ban gang patches in the city. Wanganui Mayor Michael Laws says gang violence there has tripled during the past three years, from 15 gang brawls in 2004 to 48 last year, and that gang membership should be outlawed. There was an "awful and appalling inevitability" about Jhia's death, he says.

Gilbert says a ban is unworkable. If every gang member was bundled up and sent away, crime rates would always return to the same level. The vacuum would be filled because the drug trade is demand driven; the need would create a new industry.

Goddard agrees that bans would be nonsense. If gang patches are banned, groups such as Christian bikers would also be outlawed. If the name Mongrel Mob is banned, how is it enforced when it is tattooed on someone's forehead?

Gilbert says most middle-class Kiwis would never see gang members in their everyday lives, let alone have contact with them. Violent gang crimes are usually directed at other gangs. For this reason they are usually not a threat to anyone but themselves and their associates – and last week, a child.

Goddard says gangs will not go away. People have to learn to live with them. He predicts that ethnic street gangs may wane, but new organisations are rising to take their place, namely Asian organised crime, the Russian mafia and East African ethnic crime groups.

11-06-07, 08:34 PM