View Full Version : Can I take an OTC Sleep med with Adderall + Prozac??

NickL30
11-07-07, 08:38 PM
Seriously, I need to 'burn off' this manic energy and try to get more than 3 or 4 hours of sleep. It is scary going to sleep at midnite and waking up at 4am and not even feeling like going back to sleep or too restless to even sleep.

In the morning it is like a fire drill trying to get out of the house. I am also a caffeine addict and need countless amounts of diet soda (never regular)
Sometimes, I wish I could stab myself with a tranquilizer dart of something.

But it seems like this Adderall XR & Prozac have this delayed onset of mania that lasts several days.

If I take a Tylenol PM or something similar, am I asking for trouble?

Yes I know I need to see my psyc BUT:

I am now back in the NYC area and my original psyc is 2 hours & 120 miles away in Northern CT who prescribed these meds

I can't make an appointment with a new psyc in the area b/c My COBRA is suspended because I haven't made the November payment yet. Medical + Dental for a single person is just under $500 per month. I probably will be able to make the payment by the end of the week.

I started a new job (so far so good with the aid of the Addies) but I am a contractor under 1099 arrangement which means no benefits at all. I probably won't see a paycheck until the middle of December & then it will take 5 business days before my bank makes any of the funds available (except for the first $100)

I am going to slowly taper. Only 20MG of Adderall (the original prescribed dose) and 3 Prozac capsules (60MG) every other day. I have been on Prozac close to one year. It really doesn't seem to have much benefit anymore.

Spongedaddy
11-07-07, 08:49 PM
Call a CVS and speak with the Pharmacist. That really is your best bet.

Skully
11-14-07, 08:08 PM
You should be able to but your best bet is to call a pharmacy and speak with the pharmacist. Like Spongedaddy said. Best advice.

QueensU_girl
11-14-07, 08:51 PM
Are you waking up at 4am b/c SSRIs cause sleep problems (PLMs)?

QueensU_girl
11-14-07, 08:54 PM
PS. Prozac doeesn't need to be taken daily or every other day, even. It can be taken once per week. (Seriously. The halflife is THAT long.)

In fact, Lilly put out a pill called "Prozac Weekly" which is 80 mg taken once a week.

Sometimes stimulants plus SSRIs can cause problems. (It can take a few weeks to show up after combining them. I stopped Prozac and Zoloft in combination with my stimulant meds for this reason.)

netsavy006
11-14-07, 09:22 PM
I take Pexeva and can take over the counter sleep aids but of course check with the pharmacist. I think it's 90mg of Prozac Weekly but I'm not sure.

adhdogwalker
11-23-07, 04:05 PM
If you are Bipolar, I would be very careful about taking an OTC sleep med, ever. The active ingredient in Tylenol PM is diphenhydramine-- the same one as in Benadryl. I am Bipolar/ADHD- Tylenol pm and Benadryl have the opposite effect on me-- I'm guaranteed to be up all night or several nights and extremely agitated if I take either. Everyone is different, but I just wanted to warn you this can happen, because it really does make things worse.

netsavy006
11-23-07, 04:26 PM
and anyway, they say on the label with benadryl may cause excitedness in children but I bet it can apply to adults too.