View Full Version : The Holiday "Don't Panic!" Thread

EYEFORGOT
11-09-07, 09:06 AM
Last Hanukkah/Christmas/Festivus, we had just moved from out of state and I did my best to give the kids as normal and enjoyable a holiday as I could,being the first one away from their friends and usual celebrations.

This year though, I'm just not really looking forward to them. I love giving things to others, but the wrapping, mailing and pressure is just leaving me groaning with a hum-bug face.

So, for those with or without ADD...what are some suggestions to get us through without hating the holidays? (without having all presents purchased by Labor Day) There's lots of baking and gift-giving/charity opportunities and ideas out there...

how about some tips on how to keep it all organized? A plan of attack to keep the decked halls from decking me? :eek:

I have a list, one that becomes a jumble of notes, check-marks and doodles...but a list none-the-less. :rolleyes: Now what? What else?

Swede63
11-09-07, 09:12 AM
Awesome idea Eyeforgot I'll come back to this:)

I have to say that making gifts (especially food gifts) has been really fun and rewarding for me and my children to do together

EYEFORGOT
11-09-07, 09:25 AM
I do that for my neighbors, but in all gentleness, I really don't like to cook that much. Maybe that's part of the generosity. I have one of those stones from Pampered Chef that has 4 little bread molds, it's nice as a small gesture of winter cheer.

But I don't want to give the nice warm bread to people too soon. Christmas parties on the weekend after Thanksgiving don't feel like a Christmas party to me. So everything, for me, is done almost last minute. :rolleyes:

Lady Lark
11-09-07, 11:39 AM
How about listing in order of importance? Like those that need to be shipped get taken care of first, then local, baking last so it doesn't go bad, and isn't given away too soon. Right now I have my in-law's presents wrapped and sitting in a box waiting until it's closer to go to the post office. That way I don't have to scramble to pack and ship.

Or, you could start this year, hit the clearance sales and start shopping for Christmas 09 on Dec 26 08. :D

KittenPoker
11-09-07, 02:12 PM
If you're doing X-Mess cards get preprinted return labels. I'm going to use my Dymo label maker for the outgoing address instead of handwriting (Tedious!).

I make my husband wrap presents. With a kid and 3 cats it's next to impossible.

T-day is at my friend's house this year. We're providing the turkey, M's providing hospitality. Keeps people out of MY house, heh.

think of what you've done in years past and halve that. Can you do without lights on the house as long as you have a tree? Cool! Can you shop online for pressies? Awesome!

One thing we've done is get a family gift (Ninendo Wii). Mr. KP and I are shopping for more presents this weekend while the Kidlet's at a YMCA kids night out. That way he's not underfoot and we can take time instead of keeping an eye on him. Oy!

Swede63
11-09-07, 02:50 PM
Love the family gift idea very cool

Lists are important have to have that notebook

gogogo
11-09-07, 03:41 PM
Enlist a "gatekeeper" - someone who keeps everyone else out of the kitchen or room while you prepare. Less distraction, less irritation as you work, more rum and eggnogg for you :)

Honeybunnie8
11-09-07, 06:14 PM
I personally hate shipping things...probably because I know I'll forget.. I say shop online and have it sent to the persons house...usualy they have a wrapping option and it costs like 1.00 or something extra.
That why you can shop in your Pj's at your leisure no hustle and bustle and you dont have to wrap and ship yourself.
I know I can never find what I'm looking for in stores anyway, but I live in a semi small town and have to drive at least an hour to get to a decent mall.

meadd823
11-10-07, 03:59 AM
That why you can shop in your Pj's at your leisure no hustle and bustle and you dont have to wrap and ship yourself.
I know I can never find what I'm looking for in stores anyway, but I live in a semi small town and have to drive at least an hour to get to a decent mall.

This is me as well, I shoppe don line or gave gift cards, even places like Amazon and e-bay have "gift card" options. There are some people I simply have no clue what to buy for them so instead of over loading my brain trying to figure it out I let them buy them selves what every they want.

EYEFORGOT
11-10-07, 10:49 AM
What I need to get on first and foremost is the family calendar. For a grandma and great grandmother that live far away I scrapbook a calendar that I have finished off at Staples for ten bucks.

I got a magazine at the check-out counter on organizing for Christmas without going insane.

Does anyone color code stuff? oy vay...if only my life wasn't already so cluttered to begin with.

I love shopping online. Of course, I have to hide the emails so my husband doesn't see the receipts for his presents. I'm also waiting for "inspiration"...as usual...as with just about anything in my life. I don't buy just anything, I want to get just the right thing so I know the person won't necessarily have to exchange it. The last thing anyone wants is more crapola to clutter up their house.

EYEFORGOT
11-14-07, 11:50 AM
Ok, so the film is sent off for the calendar. The next priority is mailing a belated birthday present and getting a present to a different friend on time (for once).

Then Hanukkah, it comes early this year.

So what do you do to make sure everything gets mailed out in time? Giant lists on your claendar? So far piles work for me, but my house has already started off really messy, so I'm not so sure another pile is the best idea.

Skully
11-15-07, 07:20 PM
I am really bad about buying things and never sending them. So what I do is as soon as I get home from the store I wrap/pack it then put it in my car. I will get sick of it being in my passengers seat all the time so it gets mailed.

Kimmy
11-16-07, 04:58 AM
make a list of everyone who gets a gift and a price range next to it and go to walmart :) everything is at walmart, right? LOL

EYEFORGOT
11-20-07, 03:02 PM
yep. Absolutely everything. Today is Hanukkah shopping and hoping I find what I like for my friends. I'm always worried it will look so generic that they'll think I didn't put any thought into it. I truly dislike buying a gift for the sake of buying a gift. While we put a great deal of obligation on it all, it loses all enjoyment and meaning if it's a numb dash for the sales and a pretty bow.

Believe it or not, I like it when my husband gives me jammies and slippers. It sounds like your typical last resort"oh shoot I forgot to get one last gift and I can't think of anything". Not for me. I look forward to it anytime there's gift-giving involved. However, my mother-in-law gives me soaps or perfumes every year. I thank her and then give it away to someone who enjoys anything that has that strong a scent. My hubby and I have a running joke about it. One of these days he's going to burst out laughing when I open yet another soap basket. She's a sweet woman, but it's an example of "can't think of anything, here, this will do".

My point being, as much as I'd like to have Hanukkah done on time, I can't bring myself to magically find what I truly want them to have and then expect it to be mailed on time.

Lady Lark
11-20-07, 04:51 PM
"Can't think of anything, so I got you a gift cert." :D One year my in laws had gotten me a few gifts, and then a gift cert to B&N. So we're talking about gift cert in general, and mom is saying how every now and then it's nice to get an actual gift instead. I looked at her and said, "Mom, if you and dad never got me anything else for any gift until the day we died, I would never complain about a gift cert to B&N."

*shrugs*
It's all in the reciever I guess. My sister in law hates giving gift cert because she's convinced all it says is that she doesn't know the person well enough to pick out something they would like.

Matt S.
11-20-07, 05:51 PM
I live nowhere near anyone this year so they all get gift certificates/cards.

Lady Lark
11-20-07, 09:11 PM
Postage is so much cheaper that way. :D

mijahe
11-20-07, 09:27 PM
So, for those with or without ADD...what are some suggestions to get us through without hating the holidays? (without having all presents purchased by Labor Day) There's lots of baking and gift-giving/charity opportunities and ideas out there...
Sorry, out of ideas. I'll probably end up doing what I normally do, which is to do everything on the 11th hour.

meadd823
11-22-07, 12:05 AM
You could actually get gift ideas the ADHD way like Gary's sister is doing - asking. She asked me what Gary needed then she asked him what I needed I over heard him and sent her a corrected list - okay now I need a list from her as to what to buy her and Gary;s nieces so off the e-mail goes asking for a list from her - I know many will poo poo this but I liked her out look "I have had to suffer more than 50 Christmas in my life so this year I decided screw it I am sick of guessing" I am - hey okay fine by me I have ADD and don't like this holiday crap any way - I am thinking of swearing off Christmas celebrating Yule this year instead. In all honesty I think honesty is an excellent gift that there simply is too little of myself. Maybe that is why I get along with most of Gary's ADD family - they are unconventional but I don't care much for conventions any way.

EYEFORGOT
11-22-07, 12:17 AM
I over heard him and sent her a corrected list
LOL You're too funny.

Oh our family asks each other. Grandma always asks the kids for a list, at the very least it gives her some ideas, and hubby and I give her some ideas. But she didn't give us a list (it was asked for) from her and she doesn't like gift cards. Friends are asked and then end up being guessed.

I guess this is going to be another holiday very much disorganized. I think my Hanukkah shopping is done, though.

NonSequitur
11-23-07, 01:08 PM
I used to ask my sister what her kids wanted when they were little. Later I sent gift certificates or something for the family. Then she suggested we each buy ourselves something and call it a gift from the other. I don't think I properly thanked her for the nice bird prints "she" got me.*lol*

Hubby used to drive me nuts. He'd want to set an amount to spend, then we'd buy stuff for one another. Stressed me out for two reasons. 1) I couldn't think of much that I really wanted, so I'd suggest some things for the sake of picking something. 2) He would buy a number of things for me, and I'd have to buy an equal amount for him. he didn't have much trouble coming up with suggestions. But we ended up with a lot of stuff we didn't really need and didn't use much, just for the sake of having gifts.

I think this year hubby and I are going for a bigger gift for ourselves, rather than several for each other. And we only have to shop for his mother, and we're done that already.

Ramey
11-23-07, 01:11 PM
When I don't know what to get someone, I go to Cafe Press online. You literally have HUNDREDS of options to personalize gifts...simply using a photo.

So...I choose a great photo of someone and then I request it on a coffee mug, tshirt, pillow, bag, coaster, hat, calendar, clock etc. They make it and ship it asap!

People love it.

pedalpounder
11-23-07, 02:56 PM
Check out the website "ThinkGeek". It has some really cool and clever not-found-anywhere-else gadgets.

Example, they have a suction cup device that you put in the back window of your car that displays one of 5 emoticons to the driver behind you. You have a remote control attached to the dash and you can send a smiley or a one-finger salute to the guy behind you. For just 29$. They have keyboards where the keys are all black (no letters drawn on them), and just a ton of other novelty gifts, many of which are under 20$

EYEFORGOT
12-03-07, 08:34 PM
My Hanukkah shopping is officially done and mailed. One day before it starts I might add, which is a miracle in itself.

A sweet woman I worked with at the theater said she and her siblings no longer buy each other presents. They take the money they would have spent on each other and get things for the homeless shelter instead. Why spend money on what they don't need? Give it to people who do.

Lady Lark
12-03-07, 09:30 PM
Because I still need things. Like hardwood floors. :D :p

EYEFORGOT
12-03-07, 09:47 PM
And I bet your relatives wrap that right up for you. or does it come in a Home Depot gift card?

Lady Lark
12-04-07, 10:49 AM
Gift card. Can you imagine how much wrapping paper it would take to wrap up flooring? :eek:

EYEFORGOT
12-04-07, 12:15 PM
Job Lots has really good deals on wrapping paper. Might want to mention it. :p

NickL30
12-04-07, 12:30 PM
I have no money, my credit is ruined & I probably won't see a paycheck anytime this month even though I have been working at this temporary assignment since November. The only thing I am looking forward to is filing for Chapter 13 BK in six months after the 'look back' period is completed

Also people think they can treat you like **** & in a patronizing, condescending manner, but get insulted if you choose not to participate in these stupid holiday events like company christmas parties.

meadd823
12-08-07, 02:12 AM
Also people think they can treat you like **** & in a patronizing, condescending manner, but get insulted if you choose not to participate in these stupid holiday events like company christmas parties.

OKay this does it!!!!!

I have been considering it for a few days - but your post insipred me to start this thread!!!!

Christmas ba-hum -bug (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=516821#post516821)

Perhaps because I know at least one other person feels much the same way I do.

EYEFORGOT
12-10-07, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry the holidays are lousy guys.

Honestly Nikl, if you can't do the holidays, you can't, it's as simple as that. You don't need an excuse or reason. If anyone does know your situation, they should be, especially this time of year, understanding.

Would you be enjoying if it weren't for the obligations? Are there other things you like?

I think I only have one person left that I'd like to get a gift for and it's not obligatory. Every year for the last two years I've been making a family calendar for the grandparents who live far away from us, so they can look at their grandchildren every day. It's only $10 at Staples to have them bound and copied.

So it's just that and mailings at this point. I had fun this year. I'm very caught up in the warm-fuzzies right now and the spirit of the cold/grey days vs. lit up nights. Ours isn't a religious holiday for us. More pagan than anything, even though we technically aren't. It's bringing in the Winter Solstice and wishing it to be bright and blessed and peaceful this year. My emotions need the sweet-sentiments right now, I won't apologize for being a sappy elf.

Lady Lark
12-10-07, 06:54 PM
I'm just looking forward to have bothe the girls this year. This is the first time we've actually had them ON Christmas. :D I can't wait for the early morning excitment from the boys, and the girls too even if they won't currently admit that they will get excited. :p

meadd823
12-14-07, 06:59 AM
My emotions need the sweet-sentiments right now, I won't apologize for being a sappy elf.

I tried to take care of this by begining another thread for the Christmas ba-hum-bugs so us grinches would have a place to converse - some times life doesn't turn out the way intended - {shrug} I tried

Lady Lark
12-14-07, 11:30 AM
I think they are bleeding into each other. I know I've been posting in both.

EYEFORGOT
12-14-07, 12:30 PM
Since this was in household tips and tricks I was just using it as a way of keeping track of our to-do lists and advice for keeping up with it all. Adding our emotions to it doesn't bother me, the positive or the negative. I hope I was sympathetic in the other thread for those who aren't really into it.