View Full Version : I love, love, love my "stickie notes" software

hollyduck
11-09-07, 10:40 PM
This is the best thing since ever.

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/index.html has a program called Stickies 6.0c, designed by Tom Revell and distributed as freeware.

Tom says:
"The design goal behind Stickies is that the program is small and simple. Stickies will not mess with your system files, or write to the registry. Stickies stores all information in a single text-based ini file.

Stickies will never support animated dancing figures, or play "Greensleeves". They are instead yellow rectangular windows onto which you can put some text notes. Once created, they will stay on screen until you take them away. Just like a real sticky piece of paper."

The stickies also support an alarm function, so when it is time they will flash and bounce around the computer screen and play an alarm sound (I use a recording of a canary singing).

For me, on the computer first thing in the morning and on and off all day, it's like having a reliable executive assistant, all my own.

Ducky
thrilled

livinginchaos
11-10-07, 10:27 AM
stickies ROCK!

My mac came w/ a sticky program and i have stickies all over my wallpaper.

Skully
11-11-07, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a good idea but it would end up a mess for me. I don't do well with the stickie paper and I am sure the stickie program on the computer will meet with equal fate. I'll give it a try though and see what happens.

DontFeedThisOne
01-01-08, 07:11 AM
Thanks for sharing!

But I'm having problems with installing it. it says 'x cannot be written' :(

any solutions?

DontFeedThisOne
01-01-08, 07:43 AM
Sorry, ignore the above post- problem fixed :)

auntchris
01-06-08, 01:32 AM
Is it free?

hollyduck
01-06-08, 09:41 AM
It's free, and there are improvements now and then.

One warning, folks -- now and then (I.e. last Wednesday) the cache file that stores info to generate the stickies can get wiped out by the virus scanner. ~sob!~ So now, each time I add a Stickie, I export all my stickie info to a file on the desktop.

Ducky

smoky
07-12-08, 07:06 PM
For Linux users there's Tomboy (http://www.gnome.org/projects/tomboy/). Works well for me.

simpleblue
07-13-08, 04:13 PM
I just downloaded it and it's AWESOME!

I customized it to be a little more appealing:

- Changed the Colours: Sticky Note - Blue; Text White
- Changed the Font: Size 20
- Make 50% translucent (so it doesn't completely go on-top of your work)
- Change the short-cut key so it doesn't open another tab in explorer/firefox

To have your stickies appear over your work:

- Right Click task bar icon
- Goto 'Set All'
- Choose 'On Top'

So now there's no escaping my stickies. They are so annoying that the only way to get them to go away is to simply do what they say so you can erase them. If you've chosen 'On-Top' they'll even be there the whole time you watch a video in full-screen mode.

I did the dishes, the laundry, and even vacuumed to get rid of them. Now I'm gonna watch Resident Evil 2 on the pc now. :)

jpm2112
07-14-08, 02:46 PM
Definitely seems like it would be a useful idea for keeping track of ideas. computers are a great way to keep things organized and to help you remember things. I'll have to check it out.

Rebs
07-18-08, 08:46 AM
I love sticky note programs, too! Used to be they had the potential to be very damaging to your computer ... these days most of the programs seem to be very unobtrusive.

The best feature of the program I use now (turbonotes+) is the calendar. I set it to sit on top of everything in a "rolled up" state... one click and I can see the previous, current, and next month all at a glance, otherwise all I see is a tiny bar w/the date and time.

For whatever reason, I need to know "where I am in time" all the time.... how much longer until this event, how long ago was that occasion, is it Tuesday or Saturday... LOL Is it me or is it ADD? I never know!

Screen shots in my photo album if anyone's interested. =)

http://addforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=236

ginniebean
12-03-08, 01:55 PM
whoa! thanks for the stickies link! I loooove it.

lostsoul
12-28-08, 06:39 AM
I use a program for windows sidebar that actually looks like stick notes, but it isn't anything as good as yours. It's very simple, easy and free to use. I found it while looking at MS's download able software for sidebar on it's website.

Prusilusken
12-28-08, 12:53 PM
Smoky: I used Ubuntu for a while too, and in that short time got heavily addicted - missed it ever since I changed to mac. :P

So Thanks, Hollyduck!
I'll try this one out - I hope there's a version for mac! :)

Edit: AAAaaaaaw!!! :'(
There's no mac version and he's not planning one. :(

I felt like poopy coloured was the way to go about the above notice...
Does anyone know if there's a similar program as Tomboy/Sticky for us, who own these nicely designed, but a lot of the time just utterly frustrating computers?

livinginchaos
12-28-08, 03:16 PM
macs come with sticky notes (well, at least with the last one i had - an iBook g4 and my current macbook)
They're called "Stickies" and under "applications"

I use them a lot!