View Full Version : Easy as! Maori Boil Up

maori_boy
11-10-07, 04:22 AM
The Boil Up

-Puha (Smooth leafed sow thistle) this is optional if no puha then use watercress or half a cabbage
-Potatoes x 6 -1/4 of a pumpkin
-Brisket meat (some use mutton flap or any other meat chunks), or pork bones.
-Self rising Flour - Salt

Cooking Directions:

1/ Fill a large pot 2/3rds the way with water. Add the meat and boil for 20 minutes. add potatoes and pumpkin pieces, and leave to boil for 15 minutes.
2/ Add the Puha or watercress to the pot.
3/ Next prepare the Motumotu (Maori styled dumplings). Make a basic flour/water mix, don't knead the mixture too much, as the more you knead it the harder the texture of the motumotu will end up. Break off small pieces and lightly roll into small balls and place into the pot, putting some underneath and some on top.

Allow to simmer for 40 minutes before serving.

maori_boy
11-10-07, 04:25 AM
PORK BONES BOIL UP

Cooking Directions:
Bring the pork bones to the boil then turn down half way. Put potatoes and kumara separate into a pot and also bring to the boil. Then add to the pork bones. On the last 15 minutes put in the remaining ingredients..... kamo kamo and the puha/watercress. leave cooking on the boil for 20 minutes. then when all ingredients are soft and not hard it is ready.

maori_boy
11-11-07, 06:35 AM
I had a boil up today. Oh it was bluddy good!!
Also had fried bread for lunch...yum as!!!!!
bloody beautiful ay

Moving4wrd
11-19-07, 09:58 PM
I kind of miss the boil ups and hangis I had when i was younger. It was some of the better times.

~boots~
11-19-07, 10:07 PM
ok..when are you coming to Perth??? yummmm..

QueensU_girl
11-19-07, 10:08 PM
Maori,

I am interested in any vegetarian dishes you might have. Does your culture make anything with 'beans and rice', etc?

~boots~
11-19-07, 10:09 PM
copied, and printed..I'll get the kids to try it (cooking it for me I mean) LOL

maori_boy
11-20-07, 05:08 AM
yea thats sum nice kai rite ther.
il look up vegetarian meals for u..most maori meals contain kaimoana (seafood) or some tupe of meat but il go do sum research lol.
yeah hangis and boil ups do seem to bring the best out of people and taste bloody gewd 2 ay.